The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

Goodbye Mussolini.

3674.jpg

Reconstructions of ancient sites? Does Italy not have historians and archeologists who would be able to explain why attempts to rebuild a historic structure are more damaging to the study and authenticity thereof?
While that it's true is also true that reconstruction make the preservation and the enjoyment of the structure easier;

Balbo certainly brings a different dynamic to the role of Duce. Starting his reign at 67 rather than 40 like Mussolini he seems destined for a much shorter reign; but despite that it seems the 'Balboan Era' will be a distinct and notable chapter of Italian History and the RA.

it might be part of his ego, but Balbo is certainly embracing the media of his time; certainly makes him something new for a Fascist leader to the West. Him visiting Disneyland has me wondering if he will command for a similar park to be built outside Rome.

It seems his big foreign policy focus is on Africa. I wonder if that means he will be scaling back Italian commitments in Latin America and Asia?

Regarding the Space Race, I hope the British are the ones to reach the moon first; and plant a Union Jack on it.

Balbo certainly brings a different dynamic to the role of Duce. Starting his reign at 67 rather than 40 like Mussolini he seems destined for a much shorter reign; but despite that it seems the 'Balboan Era' will be a distinct and notable chapter of Italian History and the RA.

it might be part of his ego, but Balbo is certainly embracing the media of his time; certainly makes him something new for a Fascist leader to the West. Him visiting Disneyland has me wondering if he will command for a similar park to be built outside Rome.

I think he is kind of like the fascist Khrushchev: putting a human face on an inhuman system.

Goodbye Mussolini, you glorious bastard! *proceed to (do a roman) salute*:evilsmile:
His final words were honestly tearjerking...:(:teary::'(
1b1c1fee8f741731de966a71c8ac5009--fidel-castro-bullies.jpg

(I couldn't find a better picture of il Duce:mad:)

Also, nuking the sahara to make a sea is quite something... and it remind me of this:
I would have liked to see the footage of Balbo in the helicopter above the water filling the canal and the new sea.

Last edited:
You know I am kind of surprised Balbo didn't name the new sea in honor of Mussolini or something else glorifying the Fascists, who have literally reshaped the landscape there.

Goodbye Mussolini, you glorious bastard! *proceed to (do a roman) salute*:evilsmile:
His final words were honestly tearjerking...:(:teary::'(
View attachment 517327
(I couldn't find a better picture of il Duce:mad:)

Not to mention...very, very humanizing.

No matter what you think of TTL Mussolini, no matter what cruel thing he did, no matter awful thing he might have done, at the end of the day, he is a human being.

He wonders what things he did right, what things he did wrong, and whether or not he truly was worthy of the cap he wore on his head.

Wikipedia tells me that there's oil in the Qattara Depression. This grandiose statement is going to make getting it a pain in the ass later.

What do the Italians plan to do with their new inland sea? Again, Wikipedia says that people have been proposing some sort of hydroelectric system for a while now.

Wikipedia tells me that there's oil in the Qattara Depression. This grandiose statement is going to make getting it a pain in the ass later.

What do the Italians plan to do with their new inland sea? Again, Wikipedia says that people have been proposing some sort of hydroelectric system for a while now.

Ship the oil out easier, Hydropower, etc.

Yes, but when world leaders indulge in such nonsense, it is a sign of a society in serious crisis or being on the verge of collapse.

You can laugh at this, but remember that there are millions of people who face severe punishment for treating these antics like jokes.

I'd actually argue that makes it even more important to laugh. Laugh for the people who can't, ridicule her and every batshit principle of the regime she reigns over, make her so unbelievably ludicrous that it becomes nigh-impossible to seriously resurrect even a facet of her ideology. They can't laugh, so make sure you laugh a little harder for all the slaves of her Red tyranny.

If there's one thing tyrants, dictators, and despots the world over fear, it's the sound of laughter.

Last edited:

NotBigBrother

Monthly Donor
Then, as Mussolini was reaching imminent demise, to much astonishment from his associates, he asked for a priest to perform the last rites. This was news to his close associates, who knew him to be an atheist. Given that the event was announced publicly, debate still rages over whether Mussolini’s conversion was sincere.
Vicisti, Galilee!

Finally, at 8:20 PM in Rome, Mussolini turned to Balbo with sudden lucidity and asked, “W-was I worth Isaac’s sacrifice?” Before Balbo could reply, the dictator’s eyes rolled behind his head. The head fell limp upon the pillow, and the heart that beat through the body of such a fearsome man went silent. With that died one of the most controversial, divisive and fascinating characters of the Twentieth Century.

Dammit, @Sorairo out here making me feel for a brutal dictator.

Godspeed, Benny the Moose. You were both monster and hero in equal measure, and regardless of that you have stamped your footprint upon this timeline's Twentieth Century.

Last edited:
Love him or hate him, the Duce was one interesting man. RIP you magnificent bastard. You're Italy's very own Churchill.
tenor.gif

(I wanna see more of Balbo's flamboyant personality. I enjoy it very much!)

Dammit, @Sorairo out here making me feel for a brutal dictator.

Godspeed, Benny the Moose. You were both monster and hero in equal measure, and regardless of that you have stamped your footprint upon this timeline's Twentieth Century.

Mussolini is as human very controversial person. In other hand he was ruthless totalitarian dictator who supressed democracy and all basic human rights and created secret police which torture and kill people. Furthermore he didn't hesistate order ethnic cleansings or allowed to use WMDs.

But Mussolini managed do good things too. He saved tons of Jews from terrible fate, helped Allies defeat Nazis, stopped Commies get whole Eastern Europe and helped Israel defeat another maniac genocidal dictatorship.

Mussolini is indeed very controversial person. Depending your background and political views you either love or hate him or then you are somewhere between hating and loving. He was brutal dictator but not such pure evil/incompetent tyrant like Stalin, Hitler, Mao and Aflaq. Time will tell can Balbo fill Mussolin's booths.