The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

Given her participation in the resistance, I doubt Maria Adelaide would be content with being a wallflower or just a consort. I do wonder what role she would seize upon though - would her medical interests and resultant support of related professions be her primary cause, or would she be primarily concerned with a poltitical agenda. In the latter case, with the role of the Hungarian crown still taking shape how much political bias is permissable in a royal? It seems that if Hungary goes for a more constitutional monarchy, the royals are explicitly not supposed to show their political leanings.

The Hungary Post is not threadmarked.

Portugal was considered the more innocuous member of the Roman Alliance

I wonder if this view will continue? Portugal has already been described:

. Of all the settler countries, Portugal's colonies would maintain a unique culture (and general tolerance to Catholic natives) that distinguished it from the cruelties of South Africa and Italy.

Hello to everyone, after Austria, today is the time of Hungary. With the contributes of Sorairo, enjoy!

Extract from ‘Miracle on the Danube: the Rebirth of the Haspburg Kingdom of Hungary’, by James Scruton

-snip-

I find the idea of Rakosi killing himself out of grief to be somewhat unrealistic: Rakosi was a hardcore Stalinist through and through with the purging, and the deporting, and the massacring.

So with America getting on well with India as a partner, and India being vocally AntiEurope; does that mean the Republic of China will get investment from Western Europe along with the RA as a regional economic counterweight?

This reminds me to Twilight of the Red Tsar when Hungary becomes one of Israel's closest allies and anti-Semitism is virtually eliminated from Hungarian society.
Cool to see something similar happening here.

Seeing the Hapsburgs ruling Hungary (as a student of planning, I love Belle Epoque Austria) as well as Hungarian Jewry being stronger than OTL warms my soul.

The Hungary Post is not threadmarked.

I wonder if this view will continue? Portugal has already been described:

My apologies on the Threadmark - I was without internet for a while.

The ranking of life situation in the mid 60s (basically the combo of economic situation and political rights) for natives in the colonies or RA-friendly states is roughly like this from best to worst:

Katanga
Libya
French Algeria and Gabon
North Egypt
Berber Algeria
Portuguese Africa
The Luba Kingdom
Eritrea and Somalia
Rhodesia
Morocco
Spanish Guinea
South Africa
Hell
Ethiopia

Last edited:
My apologies on the Threadmark - I was without internet for a while.

The ranking of life situation in the mid 60s (basically the combo of economic situation and political rights) for natives in the colonies or RA-friendly states is roughly like this from best to worst:

Katanga
Libya
French Algeria and Gabon
North Egypt
Berber Algeria
Portuguese Africa
The Luba Kingdom
Eritrea and Somalia
Rhodesia
Morocco
Spanish Guinea
South Africa
Hell
Ethiopia

In none of these nations is the situation...ideal.

Katanga maybe independent on paper, but their prosperity comes at a moral and reputational cost.

Libya's relative freedom comes largely from the whims of Mr. Mussolini.

French Algeria and Gabon live under the thumb of snooty Frenchmen who are only nominally better than the fascists.

Portuguese Africa is effectively a playground for the Vatican.

Morocco is landlocked.

Rhodesia and South Africa have become police states.

And I'm guessing Ethiopians live under conditions akin to slavery.
Luba Kingdom might be headed for Bokassa style shenanigans.

In none of these nations is the situation...ideal.

Katanga maybe independent on paper, but their prosperity comes at a moral and reputational cost.

Libya's relative freedom comes largely from the whims of Mr. Mussolini.

French Algeria and Gabon live under the thumb of snooty Frenchmen who are only nominally better than the fascists.

Portuguese Africa is effectively a playground for the Vatican.

Morocco is landlocked.

Rhodesia and South Africa have become police states.

Luba Kingdom might be headed for Bokassa style shenanigans.
You forgot Hell. @Sorairo mentioned Hell in there.

And I'm guessing Ethiopians live under conditions akin to slavery
I wonder if Mussolini's protection of the jews is applied to the ethiopian ones too or if they are treated like the other colonial subjects

By the way @Sorairo what happened to Ida Dalser and Benito Albino Mussolini? Were they sent to an insane asylium like OTL or they have a better fate in this TL?

Reminds me of how Italy proclaimed itself the moral superior of Ethiopia in supposedly abolishing slavery and then was discovered awarding slaves to commanders as late as '41.
I wonder if Mussolini's protection of the jews is applied to the ethiopian ones too or if they are treated like the other colonial subjects
Ethiopian Jews are probably the best-treated amongst Ethiopians in the AOI colony, though I do wonder what their current status in Israel is as of late.

Well congrats to Katanga, they beat out Libya; which is Italy's banner to wave to distract the world from the terrible place to FUBAR that the rest of their empire is.

I suppose Franco deserves some props for doing better than expected, however poorly.

Luba was a surprise in hw high it ranked, maybe the 'godking' is actually sharing the wealth to get people to go along with strange policies?

The Algerias were another surprise.

@Sorairo BTW what happened to the Jews of Serbia?

Mostly fled to Bulgaria and Croatia after the Serb-Croat War. The remaining community is the last remnant in the eastern bloc, as the Soviets couldn’t transfer the risky cargo through Hungary of all places. The are treated about as well as OTLPost-67 USSR treated Jews.

The remaining community is the last remnant in the eastern bloc,
I wonder if Tito could use this for an eventual rapproachment with the West
After all the US may decide to support Tito's regime rather than allow the RA to invade Serbia

Last edited:
Reminds me of how Italy proclaimed itself the moral superior of Ethiopia in supposedly abolishing slavery and then was discovered awarding slaves to commanders as late as '41.

In most colonies, slavery (in the pre-industrial sense) was abolished. But instead, you had instead various systems of forced labor in place. This work, while not technically slavery, was often extremely bad.

In the Belgian Congo and Portuguese Angola, this work led to staggeringly high rates of death and injury.

I'm guessing that Ethiopians are suffering from something similar.