An Unexpected Prince

I wonder if James's bride really will be a 'blushing virgin'... She might have more experience than him...

In OTL the girl (Hesse-Kassel princess) was from strict Calvinist family, so we may be in for another funny situation (none of the newlyweds knows what to do in the first night).

Though I wonder if Princess Anne would pull something like Anne of Austria did and sent, say, Countess of Dorchester (yes, it would be awkward as it was Jamie's dad's mistress, but she is at least high-born, STD-free and is old enough to serve as sex tutor without risk of conceiving the unwanted bastard) to prevent the highly-published disasters like the wedding of Prince and Princess Conti just 20 years ago.

VVD0D95

Banned
In OTL the girl (Hesse-Kassel princess) was from strict Calvinist family, so we may be in for another funny situation (none of the newlyweds knows what to do in the first night).

Though I wonder if Princess Anne would pull something like Anne of Austria did and sent, say, Countess of Dorchester (yes, it would be awkward as it was Jamie's dad's mistress, but she is at least high-born, STD-free and is old enough to serve as sex tutor without risk of conceiving the unwanted bastard) to prevent the highly-published disasters like the wedding of Prince and Princess Conti just 20 years ago.
Hmm interesting, but what happens if james refuses to play ball?

Hmm interesting, but what happens if james refuses to play ball?
Likely nothing. He's his own man now at 17, but if he is such a Felipe V-in-England, a court doctor may be sent in for explanation not involving any female sex tutors (was done for Louis XVI).
Providing heirs for the throne is a state business.
If the King wants sex only in marriage - good for him. But the King needs to know HOW to have sex (in marriage).

VVD0D95

Banned
Likely nothing. He's his own man now at 17, but if he is such a Felipe V-in-England, a court doctor may be sent in for explanation not involving any female sex tutors (was done for Louis XVI).
Providing heirs for the throne is a state business.
If the King wants sex only in marriage - good for him. But the King needs to know HOW to have sex (in marriage).
Very very true

Chapter 84: Aunt Mary

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 84: Aunt Mary

June , 1706

Mary, Princess of Orange looked at her niece, Anne of Cumberland, wife of Johann William Friso and thought to herself, not for the first time, that had she been able to have children, they might well have looked like Anne. The daughters anyway. She recognised the same facial expressions she’d seen in the mirror and from her own sister Anne, mirrored on her niece’s face. She heard her Mother’s laugh in her niece’s laugh. Sometimes these thoughts were painful for her and she had to fight back the jealousy that would otherwise threaten to overwhelm her.

“How are you finding things here?” Mary asked her niece. The girl-woman she supposed- had married her husband’s heir officially in a ceremony last month, and as such they’d just returned from their trip around the Republic.

“It is nice. Very busy.” Anne of Cumberland replied. “I did not think there were so many people gathered around so few places.”

Mary smiled. “That is a habit the Dutch have. They know how to utilise space.”

Her niece hummed in agreement. “It is very impressive.”

“And what of your husband? How do you find him?” Mary asked. Mary had met her husband’s heir many times, she’d even helped set out what he should and shouldn’t be learning when he had been a child. In a way she saw him as the son she’d never had. She knew William viewed him the same way.

She saw her niece do that thing that her own sister Anne had done when faced with a difficult question. She looked up and then down, then bit her lip. “He is kind.”

Mary snorted. “But you are not sure what else there is to him?”

Her niece looked at her shocked. “I know what it is to marry a man like your husband, for my husband is like that as well.” Mary explained. “They take their time to talk and to be open. And they say things which you think are mightily odd.”

“It’s not that I find them odd!” Anne protested. “It’s that they are unexpected.”

Mary laughed. “Ah yes, that does seem to be an Orange family trait. The first month I was married to William we spoke perhaps four sentences to one another, and three of them were things he said to me.”

Her niece looked shocked and her voice was small when she asked. “Does it get better?”

Mary raised an eyebrow. “Does what get better?”

“Everything.” Anne asked.

“It only gets better if you make it get better. You cannot expect your husband to do all the work, Anne. You must contribute as well.” Mary said.

“How?” Anne asked, and here Mary heard a lot of her younger sister, the same desperation, the same desire to make things better.

“By talking about the things you find interesting and then trying to find a common ground. Your husband will not speak to you about anything if you do not initiate first. Men are like that. They are timid creatures when it comes to matters of the heart. You must take the lead.” Mary said.

Her niece looked horrified at the thought. “So, even in this I must lead?”

“Yes. Your husband is a man, not a saint. He will know what to do in war and in politics, but when it comes to forging a relationship, you must lead.” Mary said. “And you must get with child as soon as possible.”

Her niece looked as if she might protest, but then she merely nodded. “Yes, you are right of course.”

Mary nodded. “Good.”

Anne then asked her something that she’d not been expecting. “How do you do it? How do you keep going despite the whispers of these lords and peasants?”

Mary thought on that and said. “It is not easy, but you must keep fighting and never let them see you cry. You must present strength, never weakness.”

Chapter 85: A New King Rises

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 85: A New King Rises

June, 1706

Sidney bowed before the King, the young man had finally come of age and the conversation Sidney had both been dreading and anticipating for the past eighteen years seemed as if it were about to finally happen.

“Take a seat.” The King commanded.

Sidney did as he was bid and sat down opposite the King. The young man was handsome, he looked like his father had in his youth, but it seemed the young man did not have his father’s sexual appetites.

The King cleared his throat and said. “We have been under a regency council since birth, as you know that regency ended the moment we turned eighteen. Consequently, we have summoned you here, Lord Godolphin, because you are the primary minister of the regency and we wished to hear your thoughts on our proposed changes.”

Sidney kept his face expressionless, though inside the anticipation was killing him. “Of course, Sire.” He said.

“First and foremost, our sister Anne, Duchess of Cumberland will no longer sit on the council. She has served us well these long years, but she is now under the influence of that harridan Sarah Churchill. Someone whom we find most disagreeable.” The King said. Sidney found that interesting, the King did not like Lady Marlborough despite being close with her son. “As such, she shall take her place as the King’s sister and be treated with the honour such a position bestows upon her.”

Sidney nodded. “A wise choice, Sire.” If the Marlboroughs were about to lose favour he would need to cut ties with him delicately.

“However, this does leave us with the question of what to do about Lord Marlborough. The man’s military experience is invaluable, and his relationship with the Dutch is something that we cannot ignore, especially given what is happening on the continent.” The King said, referring to the news that King Louis of France had formed an alliance with Princes of the Holy Roman Empire, against Emperor Joseph and was apparently preparing for war.

“Indeed, Sire. However, if I may make a suggestion?” Sidney asked.

“Go ahead.” The King said.

“I would send Lord Marlborough with a few regiments to the Netherlands for observation, and for maneuverers. That way should the French decide to act out and do something foolish, we can have a force ready to contribute to the defence of our Austrian ally.” Sidney said.

“To supplement the men under the command of the Earl of Peterborough already in the Spanish Netherlands?” The King asked.

“Yes, Sire.” Sidney said.

“Very well, we shall consider what you suggest.” The King replied.

Sidney nodded, and remained silent. The King however, soon spoke. “We will end the treasury commission and name one individual as Lord High Treasurer. We feel that it is not good enough to have such an important office divided between so many people. It leaves for incompetence and division. Already reforms we had asked for have been stalled.” Sidney nodded again, hoping that the King would give the office to him, if he held the white staff and the position of Secretary of State, he would be the most powerful man in the Kingdom behind the King. “We shall name you as Lord High Treasurer, Lord Godolphin. And we shall for the time being allow you to hold the office of Secretary of State. However, we would ask that you look for a replacement Secretary of State in the appropriate time.”

Sidney bowed his head. “Of course, Sire, I am honoured.” He could find someone easily controllable, someone who he could shift and shape to his needs.

“Secondly, we have found that having members of the Scottish government here has been most beneficial. We would like to keep that going, but would like a few changes made to some of the arrangements.” The King said. “The Lord Chancellor of Scotland, The Marquess of Tweeddale has been largely a puppet for Lord Cowper, that is not something we approve of. If we want someone to simply follow what Cowper wants, we would name Cowper to both roles.”

“A wise choice, Sire.” Sidney said, masking his surprise. He had thought the King might push for a union of all three crowns. He’d certainly spoken about it enough when Sidney had chanced to overhear conversations between him and his friends.

“We shall replace him with William Gordon, 2nd Earl of Aberdeen. A man who has shown considerable talent in the legal sphere.” The King said.

Sidney had no idea who the man was but he knew to say that would be to make himself look weak in front of the King, so instead, he said. “A wise decision, Sire.”

“And finally, we would replace Lord Middleton as Secretary for the Northern Department with the Earl of Derwentwater.” The King said. “It is time we had some young blood in that position.”

Sidney nodded. He had thought one of the King’s companions would get involved sooner or later. “All wise decisions, Sire.”

The King nodded. “And what do you really think?”

“Sire?” Sidney asked.

“You say all of those things to please us. But we did not summon you here to please us, we summoned you here to get your advice.” The King said.

Sidney was struck then by just how sincere the King was. Much like his father had been. The King did not speak in flattering tones, but in direct measures. Whether that would last as he got older remained to be seen, but for now, Sidney was willing to play along. “I think you have made the right calls, Sire. I think Derwentwater is a good choice, not only because he is English, but because he knows you, far better than Middleton does. I think Aberdeen will be an unsuspecting choice for many and help keep people on their toes.”

“And Marlborough?” The King asked.

“I think that is a wise choice as well, Sire.” Sidney answered truthfully.

“Very well, you may leave.” The King said, waving a hand to dismiss him.

He is called king of Albion so we know the union of Scotland and England will happen,Ireland is a more complicated question and depends on what the king wants to achieve.

He just might be ;). Though am curious as to what makes you think so.
Well, he's specifically maintaining certain posts but communicating them with each other. If that makes sense. Appears to me like a single Government in the making, though a single Parliament is not yet evident.
He is called king of Albion so we know the union of Scotland and England will happen,Ireland is a more complicated question and depends on what the king wants to achieve.
Unless TTL Albion has been extended in usage for the Isles as a whole, however much King of the British Isles appeals to me as a title.