The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

NotBigBrother

Monthly Donor
The Rhodies...

As a British person, it's like staring into a twisted, warped mirror image, seeing everything your country stands for being trampled even as they claim their championing
They are the utter opposite of everything we know as civilization, yet are not savage. Rather, they are like a black mirror unto ourselves. As industrious, as clever, as restless and dynamic.
The latter was said about Tsalal.

Last edited:
I can't see South African fascims in this timeline looking like the Not!Nazi party of Eugene Terreblanche, but I can see the National Party evolving into something like the Fascist OTL Herstigte National Party - except in this timeline, they are in power, so it is a pretty cold world for black Africans under them.
View attachment 515712
Something like this, except more paramilitary members. Since they are now fully aligned with the Rome Bloc and Fascism isn't discredited, they do not have to worry like the HNP did OTL of look too "UR Fascistic." They can put on the full blackshirt (well, probably a different color shirt for their paramilitary - blue shirts?)
Actually that does bring up a relevant topic - what are the other Rome Bloc nations blackshirt equivalent?

Well, I don't think you'll see Terre Blanche becoming prominent. TTL Fascism vehemently rejects antisemitism, so any South African politician is most likely screwed if they start complaining about "Zionist interference."

While South Africa has sacrificed the veneer of democracy it once had, I think the Afrikaner extremists have enough self-awareness to try and not emulate the blackshirts. Remember, they want to attract mostly skilled European immigrants. Acting like militarist nutcases is really bad PR, especially when there are a lot less controversial locations to immigrate too, like Canada, America, Australia, and or even Katanga if you want.

As time goes on, settling in Southern Africa will be one of the things that is frowned upon, like misogyny and racist jokes. Looking respectable is the only way South Africa can keep the immigration flowing.

...yeah, pretty much.

The Rhodies...

As a British person, it's like staring into a twisted, warped mirror image, seeing everything your country stands for being trampled even as they claim their championing it - it'd probably be worse in this TL. I can actually see media like Hetalia having Rhodesia and South Africa as Britain's evil counterparts. I'm not gonna lie, I'm proud of most of the British Empire - for better or worse, it was the time when our little islands managed to rule the waves and most of the world, and I'm proud of it the same way Americans are proud of their global hegemony/unofficial empire.

White Kenyan colonists have an especially wretched reputation of being boorish jerks who cause mayhem.

Well, I don't think you'll see Terre Blanche becoming prominent. TTL Fascism vehemently rejects antisemitism, so any South African politician is most likely screwed if they start complaining about "Zionist interference."

While South Africa has sacrificed the veneer of democracy it once had, I think the Afrikaner extremists have enough self-awareness to try and not emulate the blackshirts. Remember, they want to attract mostly skilled European immigrants. Acting like militarist nutcases is really bad PR, especially when there are a lot less controversial locations to immigrate too, like Canada, America, Australia, and or even Katanga if you want.

As time goes on, settling in Southern Africa will be one of the things that is frowned upon, like misogyny and racist jokes. Looking respectable is the only way South Africa can keep the immigration flowing.
Yeah but from what I read, South Africa TTL is essentially crapsack. They already don't seem to have the best reputation, and adding paramilitary elements won't really harm that. After all, business flourishes today in China, and Hun Sen's cambodia, with foreigners emigrating there. Some people just don't care, and anyone who's opinions WILL get swayed will probably already be turned off by the human rights abuses already. Also, the prevalence of Fascism has normalized paramilitary units probably. South Africa doesn't need to look respectable when it has been made pretty clear this South Africa is already much worse than OTL. As phased by @Sorairo , while the other white dominated nations have some sort of loopholes where it is theoretically possible to get a semi decent live as a non white, the attitude of TTL South Africa is "what is a human right?"
In terms of less controversial places, I do not think anyone who plans to go to those countries you mentioned ever planned to go toTTL South Africa. It is pretty safe to say people will emigrate to TTL south africa because their home countries are too "liberal" "marxist" "satanic" or "communist." Probably a lot of disillusioned racists in the American South during the civil rights movement, exiled British fascists who are disgraced at home, probably French Far Right that will be pissed about whatever happens in Algeria, potentially future Iron Curtain political refugees.
Remember, South Africa has already received the middle finger from the entire liberal world. As has Rhodesia, but as the author said, TTL Rhodesia isn't as bad as TTL South Africa still. Given the diplomatic crisis, any liberal westerner is probably going to dislike South Africa/Rhodesia from the start, while the Far Right will view it as a heaven for their self imposed exile.
South Africa already joined the Rome Bloc, so regardless of aesthetics it is already a Fascist State. They might as well try and fully integrate with their patrons, since their PR amount any western liberal is fucked anyway.

I mean the more likely scenario is that South Africa will be reduced to glass. You know the kind that is radioactive and glows in the dark
No offence, but speaking as someone who'd live in TTLs ITO, but committing national suicide to overthrow South Africa would be just as moronic as doing so to overthrow the New Russian Empire aka Warsaw Pact would have been in OTL.
Unless South Africa gets bad enough that they are kicked out of the RA, which is of course a possibility since they generally care about portraying non-evil face to the world, MAD applies to any democratic crusader wanting to bring down the Apartheid regime with nukes.

No offence, but speaking as someone who'd live in TTLs ITO, but committing national suicide to overthrow South Africa would be just as moronic as doing so to overthrow the New Russian Empire aka Warsaw Pact would have been in OTL.
Unless South Africa gets bad enough that they are kicked out of the RA, which is of course a possibility since they generally care about portraying non-evil face to the world, MAD applies to any democratic crusader wanting to bring down the Apartheid regime with nukes.
I think he is talking about the possibility of a nuclear civil war, not a foreign intervention.

Well, the Luba Kingdom being restored could be foreshadowing for this.
I thought it was mentioned in the update that if Luba interfere in the mining business in anyway they would be the division by their neighbors to put in more stable leader ship in place So the mining could continue in peace

I thought it was mentioned in the update that if Luba interfere in the mining business in anyway they would be the division by their neighbors to put in more stable leader ship in place So the mining could continue in peace

Uh...

Despite Congo-Leopoldville OTL being emerged in the worst violence since the Second World War, pounds and pounds of coltan flow out of the DRC.

The problem with African nations is that their economies often rely on resources that can be made whether or not people are starving.

Even if a crazy rules Luba, they could still make diamonds.

Uh...

Despite Congo-Leopoldville OTL being emerged in the worst violence since the Second World War, pounds and pounds of coltan flow out of the DRC.

The problem with African nations is that their economies often rely on resources that can be made whether or not people are starving.

Even if a crazy rules Luba, they could still make diamonds.
Here is the part of the chapter that supports my statements.
“He went from being a corrupt President to a corrupt King, though there remained some form of legislature beneath him with the Roman Alliance and Belgium threatening to depose him the moment his eccentricities cost them their diamond companies their money.”

I wonder where the Pavelic Precedent will be used next? It seemed to be implied that the OVRA have hardly peaked in their role with Operation Brutus.

This is starting to get to For All Time levels of grim dark with Coptic North Egypt, Sarvarkarist India etc.
FAT featured Charles Mason as governor of California and Jim Jones as president of the United States.
I am pretty sure even this TL's version of Arabia is a better place than FAT's version of the US

This is not even near of FAT, not even close. I barely would call this TL as dystopic. Yes some places are very terrible places and for some nationalities has done terrible things but still world is not much worse than OTL in early 1960's. Nuclear weapons has used more than in OTL but at least there hasn't been WW3 or psychopats as POTUS. Even world in Twilight of the Red Tsar is bit worse than TTL.