The World of Turtledove's In the Presence of Mine Enemies

One character who could play an interesting part is John Fitzgerald (R-CA). In OTL, he ran as a Holocaust denier in California, in one of the bluest districts in America, gaining 23% of the vote, by challenging people to prove that the Nazis committed genocide:

While people like Fitzgerald would be likely to be involved in the new regime after 1971, he likely doesn't exist. Can't find a lot of information on him, other than according to a NY Times article he was 54 in 2018, which means he would have been born in 1964, twenty+ years after the POD of the book, so I find the likelihood of his existence to be unlikely.

Also I wonder what this guy would have been doing since he likely survived WW3 in NYC https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Trump
Ohhhhh despite my personal political leanings, I don't know that I really want to touch that topic with a ten-foot-poll. He and his family (lil' DJ included) are likely still alive and in New York in 1971. I am looking at having a major uprising in New York, however, as it has one of the highest (if not THE highest) concentration of Jews in the United States, not to mention all the other minorities that the Nazis won't like. Since the city isn't nuked, the locals will likely rise up to resist, and I see a lot of conventional destruction raining down on the city. The uprising could last for some time, with pockets of resistance in the suburbs lasting years. It would be quite possible to imagine that an ill fate befalls them during this time of chaos. If they survived, they'd likely support the regime.

This book sounds both terrifying and fascinating. Not sure I can squeeze it into my reading list just now, but I'd love to at some point.

I'm trying to figure out the "legal" framework of the modern German Empire as it is described in the book in 2010. Here's an excert:

The Germanic Empire, shown in the blood-red of the flag, stretched from England deep into Siberia and India. Paler red showed lands occupied but not formally annexed: France, the United States, Canada. In the Empire's shadow were the little realms of the allied nations: Sweden's gold, Finland's pale blue, the greens of Hungary and Portugal, Romania's dark blue, purple for Spain and Bulgaria, and the yellow of the Italian Empire surrounded the Mediterranean. Africa was mostly red, too, though Portugal, Spain, and Italy kept their colonies on the dark continent and the Aryan-dominated Union of South Africa was another ally, not a conquest.

Only the Empire of Japan, with Southeast Asia, China, the islands of the Pacific and Indian Oceans, and Australia all shown in yellow, came anywhere close to matching the Germanic Empire in size.

Furthermore, several times in the book there is reference to both the Greater German Reich and the Germanic Empire in the same sentence, such as when Buckliger is announced as the new leader: "After long and serious discussions, senior Party, SS, and military leaders have chosen the present minister of heavy industry, Heinz Buckliger, to guide the future of the Greater German Reich and the Germanic Empire," and later, "The new Fuhrer will do wonderful things for the Reich and the Germanic Empire."

My interpretation of this would be that the Reich itself would Germany proper (including Austria, the Sudetenland, and other areas that would be officially annexed). This might not, however, include Bohemia and Moravia, The General Government (Poland), Reichskomissariat Ostland, Reichskomissariat Ukraine, and the former Soviet Union west of the Urals, nor would it include France, the UK, Belgium, the Netherlands, Denmark, or Norway. THESE nations are what I would classify as part of the broader "Germanic Empire" (and would also potentially include North America, Africa, the Middle East, and India).

Broadly speaking this is sort of how I'd picture things:
  • Deutsches Imperium (Germanic Empire)
    • Grossdeutsches Reich
      • Germany
      • Austria
      • former Poland
      • Ukraine
      • former Soviet territory west of the Urals
      • "Ostland" (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania)
      • other undefined colonies in Africa and the Middle East
    • France
    • the United Kingdom of Great Britain
    • Norway
    • Denmark
    • the Netherlands (unless this might have been annexed directly?)
    • Belgium
    • Luxembourg (unless this might have been annexed directly?)
    • Iceland
    • India
    • The United States (including Canada)
  • Allied Nations:
    • Italy
    • Spain
    • Portugal
    • Finland
    • Sweden (listed in the book, neutral IOTL during WWII)
    • Hungary
    • Romania
    • Bulgaria
    • Croatia
    • Turkey (not mentioned, speculation)
    • Persia (not mentioned, speculation)
    • Brazil
    • Argentina
  • Neutral?
    • Ireland (not mentioned, speculation - could see it formally neutral but under a pseudo fascist government, sort of a slow slide into things)
    • Switzerland (not mentioned, speculation)
    • Mexico (not mentioned, speculation)

Also, one last thing before I go off and actually right some. I was thinking last night about the state of Catholicism ITTL. If memory serves me right, IOTL Italy and Spain's fascist regimes both played up allegiance to the Church. I could see this continuing, also in Ireland as well - I am thinking that during the Nazi invasion of Britan, the Republic of Ireland invades Northern Ireland to "protect" the locals, but then start to purge the Unionists and this slowly leads the Republic of Ireland into a state of nationalist pseudo-fascism that builds up Catholicism as part of the identity of the state. Pius XII largely goes along with this, and after the war makes a better peace with the Nazis as well.

This, I would imagine, would not sit well with many American Catholics, and I am picturing some sort of schism in the 1950s between American Catholics and their European counterparts, possibly with the American and Canadian and Australian catholic bishops leaving to form some alternate church. This new organization would then be a target of suppression after WWIII.

Thoughts on all of this?

While people like Fitzgerald would be likely to be involved in the new regime after 1971, he likely doesn't exist. Can't find a lot of information on him, other than according to a NY Times article he was 54 in 2018, which means he would have been born in 1964, twenty+ years after the POD of the book, so I find the likelihood of his existence to be unlikely.

Here is what was posted on Ballotpedia:

Here is the link to his site on Facebook. The scary thing is that his anti-Semitic/ white nationalist statements are still posted on the site:

If anything, I would keep him in the TL, if only to prevent the standard trope of imitating former Soviet/Russian political leaders.

I feel like George Lincoln Rockwell would be a high-ranking figure in occupied America. Obvious choice I know, but there is a good reason for that.

William Luther Pierce (OTL author of The Turner Diaries) would also be a likely part of the Nazi American government. He had a background in physics so perhaps he would be in charge of the Department of Energy or something.

I could see Arthur J. Jones as a collaborator figure sometime in the 1990's or early 2000's. Maybe he'd be VP to Duke-good regional balance to have a Midwestern Nazi get a chance leading the puppet regime considering southern politicos likely will get a disproportionate number of terms in the Nazi-aligned government just based off where Nazi sympathies are the strongest.

A dark horse option for a Nazi collaborator regime could be Ted Bundy. There's no real indication of him having Nazi leanings OTL, but given he seemed to harbor political ambitions, the beginning of the German occupation around the time of his real-life murders and the fact he was a remorseless sociopath who wanted to murder people, Bundy very plausibly could've become an eager early supporter of the German-backed government's genocide. Him getting involved early could lead the Nazis to prop up his political ambitions to ultimately lead the American puppet state and even if he kills Aryan women if he's connected enough the Nazis totally would let him get away with it and cover it up.

Maybe the list could be:
Strom Thurmond/Lester Maddox 1971-1981
George Lincoln Rockwell/John Rarick 1981-1989
Lester Maddox/Ted Bundy 1989-1997
Ted Bundy/Arthur Jones 1997-2005
David Duke/Don Black 2005-2013

After Duke it might be the case the US gets to elect a non-Nazi candidate as Buckliger’s reforms take root but it’s also possible they insist on keeping the elections restricted for America. Also by 2012 it’s very possible for people who in OTL weren’t Nazis to embrace fascism as the first post-occupation generation reaches political maturity. Any politically-minded child of the 1960’s who would be Aryan by Nazi rules likely would be fascist by 2012 and could be Duke’s successor.

I feel like George Lincoln Rockwell as a member of the collaborator government is a bit too easy. More interesting to see him as the leading of a Nazi inspired or non Nazi inspired resistance group.

I feel like George Lincoln Rockwell as a member of the collaborator government is a bit too easy. More interesting to see him as the leading of a Nazi inspired or non Nazi inspired resistance group.

Fair.

Im interested in how the Japan-Germany Cold War alliances look. Obviously Europe is most certainly aligned to Germany and East Asia to Japan. Beyond that, I could see Japan providing covert aid to anti-German resistance groups in the former USSR, India, Iran and what’s left of the Middle East and Africa (specifically I would imagine South Africa and Rhodesia would have extant black rebel groups as it appears apartheid didn’t give way to Nazi-tier genocide).

Moreover I expect Latin America’s fascist governments are closer to the Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity sphere than the German bloc owing to wariness German racial views could lead to the Reich attacking them. Central Asia is likely pro-Japan for the same reason. I could even see some OTL leftist leaders (eg: Castro, Mandela, etc.) being ‘Japanese-style fascists’ who claim to be anti-imperialist (hypocritically if they align to Japan of course but it’s not like the USSR was averse to oppressing neighboring states while claiming to be advocates of liberation).

On the flip side Germany likely funnels weapons and/or money to white Australian rebels and maybe Alaskan nationalists. Enough realpolitik could mean they even aid Indochinese or Chinese guerilla movements but I think by the time Germany got around to considering Japan a rival their rule in Asia was too entrenched and hatred of ‘Orientals’ probably made that prospect unappealing today the Nazis.

Last edited:
Fair.

Im interested in how the Japan-Germany Cold War alliances look. Obviously Europe is most certainly aligned to Germany and East Asia to Japan. Beyond that, I could see Japan providing covert aid to anti-German resistance groups in the former USSR, India, Iran and what’s left of the Middle East and Africa (specifically I would imagine South Africa and Rhodesia would have extant black rebel groups as it appears apartheid didn’t give way to Nazi-tier genocide).

Moreover I expect Latin America’s fascist governments are closer to the Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity sphere than the German bloc owing to wariness German racial views could lead to the Reich attacking them. Central Asia is likely pro-Japan for the same reason. I could even see some OTL leftist leaders (eg: Castro, Mandela, etc.) being ‘Japanese-style fascists’ who claim to be anti-imperialist (hypocritically if they align to Japan of course but it’s not like the USSR was averse to oppressing neighboring states while claiming to be advocates of liberation).

On the flip side Germany likely funnels weapons and/or money to white Australian rebels and maybe Alaskan nationalists. Enough realpolitik could mean they even aid Indochinese or Chinese guerilla movements but I think by the time Germany got around to considering Japan a rival their rule in Asia was too entrenched and hatred of ‘Orientals’ probably made that prospect unappealing today the Nazis.

I think a lot of what you've got here makes sense. The Nazis and the Japanese will definitely have a lot of proxy actions going on through the decades. And for sure locals in smaller territories will play one against the other, as best they can.

Deleted member 2186

I'm trying to figure out the "legal" framework of the modern German Empire as it is described in the book in 2010. Here's an excert:

Furthermore, several times in the book there is reference to both the Greater German Reich and the Germanic Empire in the same sentence, such as when Buckliger is announced as the new leader: "After long and serious discussions, senior Party, SS, and military leaders have chosen the present minister of heavy industry, Heinz Buckliger, to guide the future of the Greater German Reich and the Germanic Empire," and later, "The new Fuhrer will do wonderful things for the Reich and the Germanic Empire."

My interpretation of this would be that the Reich itself would Germany proper (including Austria, the Sudetenland, and other areas that would be officially annexed). This might not, however, include Bohemia and Moravia, The General Government (Poland), Reichskomissariat Ostland, Reichskomissariat Ukraine, and the former Soviet Union west of the Urals, nor would it include France, the UK, Belgium, the Netherlands, Denmark, or Norway. THESE nations are what I would classify as part of the broader "Germanic Empire" (and would also potentially include North America, Africa, the Middle East, and India).

Broadly speaking this is sort of how I'd picture things:
  • Deutsches Imperium (Germanic Empire)
    • Grossdeutsches Reich
      • Germany
      • Austria
      • former Poland
      • Ukraine
      • former Soviet territory west of the Urals
      • "Ostland" (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania)
      • other undefined colonies in Africa and the Middle East
    • France
    • the United Kingdom of Great Britain
    • Norway
    • Denmark
    • the Netherlands (unless this might have been annexed directly?)
    • Belgium
    • Luxembourg (unless this might have been annexed directly?)
    • Iceland
    • India
    • The United States (including Canada)
  • Allied Nations:
    • Italy
    • Spain
    • Portugal
    • Finland
    • Sweden (listed in the book, neutral IOTL during WWII)
    • Hungary
    • Romania
    • Bulgaria
    • Croatia
    • Turkey (not mentioned, speculation)
    • Persia (not mentioned, speculation)
    • Brazil
    • Argentina
  • Neutral?
    • Ireland (not mentioned, speculation - could see it formally neutral but under a pseudo fascist government, sort of a slow slide into things)
    • Switzerland (not mentioned, speculation)
    • Mexico (not mentioned, speculation)

Also, one last thing before I go off and actually right some. I was thinking last night about the state of Catholicism ITTL. If memory serves me right, IOTL Italy and Spain's fascist regimes both played up allegiance to the Church. I could see this continuing, also in Ireland as well - I am thinking that during the Nazi invasion of Britan, the Republic of Ireland invades Northern Ireland to "protect" the locals, but then start to purge the Unionists and this slowly leads the Republic of Ireland into a state of nationalist pseudo-fascism that builds up Catholicism as part of the identity of the state. Pius XII largely goes along with this, and after the war makes a better peace with the Nazis as well.

This, I would imagine, would not sit well with many American Catholics, and I am picturing some sort of schism in the 1950s between American Catholics and their European counterparts, possibly with the American and Canadian and Australian catholic bishops leaving to form some alternate church. This new organization would then be a target of suppression after WWIII.

Thoughts on all of this?
It is mentioned in the book that the Netherlands denounced the 2011 SS-led Putsch against Buckliger. and latter on held a general election of their own without German interference and elected a parliament with a non-Fascist majority. This to me means it was a not annexed directly by Germany.

It is mentioned in the book that the Netherlands denounced the 2011 SS-led Putsch against Buckliger. and latter on held a general election of their own without German interference and elected a parliament with a non-Fascist majority. This to me means it was a not annexed directly by Germany.

I do recall that now that you mention it. So it would be part of the larger Imerpium, but not directly part of the Reich.

Updated FULL TL: 1932-2020 (as of 01/11/2020)
DISCLAIMER: as with the earlier post, this is subject to change and is far from complete.

The 1930s
  • January 19: Franklin D. Roosevelt dies of pneumonia.
  • July 2: Al Smith is nominated for President, with John N. Garner as his running mate
  • November 8: Al Smith defeats Herber Hoover to become the 32nd President of the United States
  • January 30: Adolf Hitler is made Chancellor of Germany
  • March 4: Al Smith is sworn in as President, stating that “A New Day is dawning in America, one that shall wipe away the tears of the past four years of depression and anxiety.”
  • March 23: The German Reichstag passes the Enabling Act, in effect giving Adolf Hitler dictatorial powers.
  • April 20: President Smith’s “New Day” plan is signed into law as a series of three bills, promising to secure the banks, rebuild and expand infrastructure, and put people back to work.
  • February 3: President Smith signs into law the Citizen Security program, designed to help those out of work due to illness, old-age, or lay-off.

• June 12: The Republican National Convention nominates Alf Landon for President and Earl Warren for Vice President.
  • June 27: Al Smith and Nance Garner are renominated for the Democratic ticket for the Presidency.
  • August 1-16: Berlin Olympics. Jesse Owens and Marty Glickman both win Gold, a slap in the face of Nazi racial ideas

• March 12: Germany annexes Austria
  • September 1: Germany invades Poland, kicking off WWII.
The 1940s
  • April 9: Germany invades Denmark and Norway
  • May 10: Germany invades France, Belgium, the Netherlands, and Luxembourg
  • May 15: The Netherlands surrenders
  • May 26: Evacuations of Allied troops at Dunkirk begins
  • May 28: Belgium surrenders
  • June 1: Allied armies at Dunkirk surrender to the Germans. Less than 100,000 had been evacuated, crippling Britain
  • June 10: Nazis take Paris
  • June 19: France formally surrenders
  • June 26: Al Smith is renominated once again by the Democrats
  • July 12: Republicans nominate Charles Lindburg, with Robert Taft as his running mate
  • August 30: “The Blitz” as it becomes known, begins, intensifying the Luftwaffe’s attacks on Britain.
  • September 29: King George VI is killed in a nighttime bombing raid that struck Buckingham Palace. Queen Mary is in a coma, but the princesses survive mostly unharmed.
  • October 3: Queen Mary dies.
  • October 8: Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester, is recognized as Prince Regent. He orders that Queen Elizabeth and Princess Margret be taken to Edinburg, away from the worst of the Blitz. Henry remains in London to work with Prime Minister Churchill.
  • November 5: Charles Lindburg is elected as the 33rd President of the United States, having run on a promise of keeping America out of the European War
  • May 1: Operation Sea Lion commences, with Nazi landings all across Southern England, in addition to paratroopers.
  • June 9: the Battle of London begins.
  • June 12: Prince Henry and Prime Minister Churchill evacuate London.
  • June 22: London falls.
  • August 31: Southern England is declared secure, and the Nazis begin to focus on the Midlands.
  • October 3: Birmingham falls to the Nazis
  • December 8: Opening of the Honolulu Peace Talks between the United States and Japan, with President Lindburg leading the negotiations.
  • December 19: Liverpool surrenders to the Nazis
  • December 20: Honolulu Accords signed, America promises to not get involved in Japan’s territorial expansion and continue to allow trade. Lindburg touts this as keeping America safe. Democratic critics see him kowtowing to Japan.
  • January 9: Manchester falls to the Nazis.
  • February 12: Prince Henry, Queen Elizabeth II, and Princess Margret evacuate for Canada (arrive in Halifax on Feb. 16)
  • March 28: York falls.
  • April 3: England is declared secure.
  • April 15: seeing that the UK will eventually fall to the Nazis, Ireland launches a “protective” invasion of Northern Ireland (after secret negotiations with Germany secured permission)
  • April 20: Battle of Edinburg begins
  • May 9: Edinburg surrenders
  • May 20: Glasgow surrenders
  • June 1: Seeing that Britain is soon to fall, the Soviet Union launches an attack on Nazi-occupied Poland, opening up the Eastern Front
  • June 7: Churchill is captured
  • June 8: First Battle of Warsaw: Soviets smash into the city
  • June 10: The remains of Churchill’s government agree to a cease-fire.
  • June 15: First Battle of Warsaw ends in Soviet victory
  • July 26: Negotiations begin in Dublin between the British and the Nazis, with the Irish as “neutral” hosts, to discuss what happens to Great Britain and the Empire.
  • September 9: Battle of Krakow: Nazis stop the Soviet advance into Poland

• January 10: Dublin Accords are signed
    • Great Britain is declared a protectorate of the Reich, similar to France.
    • Canada, Australia, South Africa, and India, are recognized as nations fully independent. Queen Elizabeth is recognized as Queen of Canada and gives up all claim to the British throne.
    • The remainder of Britain’s colonies in Africa and the Middle East are to be given over to the Reich (in theory, though this won’t actually occur as simply or as quickly as the treaty demands)
  • April 4: Second Battle of Warsaw: Nazis retake the city.
  • May 3: Japan launches an invasion of Australia
  • June 16: Minsk falls to the Nazis
  • End of Year: Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia are all under Nazi occupation. German troops occupy most of Belorussia and have made headway in Ukraine.
  • January 12: Edward VIII is invited by the Nazis to return as King of Great Britain, which he does.
  • March 1: Edward VIII is crowned as King in the still damaged Westminster Abbey, with his wife recognized as Queen Wallace.
  • March 12: King Edward VIII meets with Oswald Mosley, formally asking him to become Prime Minister of Great Britain. This marks the end of “direct rule” by the Nazis over Britain, and the start of it being a client state within the Germanic Empire.
  • April 30: Battle of Darwin: Australian forces are able to retake the city from the Japanese, effectively ending Japan’s attempted invasion.
  • July 1: Democrats nominate Henry Wallace and Harry Truman to run against Lindburg.
  • July 19: Republicans renominate Lindburg and Taft
  • July 20: Leningrad falls to the Nazis.
  • September 3: Siege of Moscow begins
  • November 7: Lindburg wins reelection in a close race with Wallace.
  • November 30: Japan and Australia sign a formal Armistice
  • March 4: Moscow falls to the Nazis. Stalin, Molotov, and Beria all escape.
  • April 30: Stalin and Beria are captured near Nizhny Novograd. Molotov escapes east of the Urals, where he declares that the Soviet Union will fight on.
  • May 1: Japan declares war on the Soviet Union, invading Vladivostok and the rest of the Russian Far East.
  • June 3: The Nazis drop an atomic bomb on Kazan, where the Red Army had been regrouping for a counter-attack.
  • August 31: Hitler declares victory over the Soviet Union west of the Urals. In reality, the Reich will take until 1947 to really secure this region, and an unofficial truce takes place with the rump Soviet Union, centered on Omsk.
  • September: the German High Command secretly announces plans to work on consolidating control in Europe through 1946, with plans to deal with the Middle East, Africa, and India starting in 1947.
  • Military action begins in the Middle East and India by the Germans. In general, the Nazis will pursue setting up a fascist Indian state, with the destruction of the muslim communities. This is resisted, both by Hindus and Muslims and also remaining British colonists, and will drag on the rest of the decade.

• June 20: Democrats nominate Joseph P. Kennedy, Sr., with Senator Richard Russell of Georgia as his running mate.
  • July 2: Republicans nominate Thomas Dewey and Earl Warren. There had been discussion about renominating Lindburg, but he announced early on he would not seek reelection, and Vice President Taft declined due to a health scare.
  • November 2: Joseph Kennedy is elected as the 34th President of the United States, promising to end American isolation and become a world leader. Despite a lack of desire to enter the war in Europe, attitudes had slowly changed following the fall of Britain and the Soviet Union. Many feel that they made a mistake in staying out of what was now becoming known as the Second World War.
  • Tokyo hosts the first post-war Olympic games (XIV Olympiad). The opening ceremony and many competitions are tense, as this is the first time many from the bitter world rivals have been in the same place during peacetime. The United States and Canada consider boycotts, but attend, as does Australia. Near fights almost break out between the Canadian team and both the UK team and the South African team. Germany wins the most medals, barely beating out the US for second place. Brazil is a surprise third.
  • Germans launch first successful man-made satellite.
  • During a visit to Rome, Hitler meets with Pius XII and does his best to improve relations between the Reich and the Bishop of Rome, with overall okay results. Pious is seen in photos and newsreel footage to give Hitler a warm reception at the Vatican.

The 1950s
  • The Kingdom of Canada formally adopts a new flag, an inverted Union Jack (red and blue trading places).
  • Berlin hosts the 4th World Cup. Outside of the Deutsches Imperium, only Italy, Spain, Japan, and Perisa participate. Germany beats Italy in the final.
  • Following the previous year’s appearance of Pious XII with Hitler, many American, Canadian, and Australian Catholics, in addition to many in Latin America, have grown frustrated with how the Church has cozied up to the Fascists in Europe and elsewhere. This leads to a meeting of church leaders from across the Americas and the Pacific that results in an official break with Rome and the formation of the Catholic Church of the West, to be headquartered in Boston.
  • Germans put the first man in space.
  • Kennedy Re-elected, falling out with Southern Democrats begin
  • Rome hosts the XV Olympiad. America beats out Germany for the most medals, reversing the order from 1948. Japan comes in third place.
  • America tests its first atomic weapon, out in the Pacific.
  • Elvis Presley begins his music career.
  • America, Canada, and Australia announce the creation of the Trans-Pacific Alliance, a military and trade venture meant to bring the three allies closer together.
  • Rome hosts the 5th World Cup. Brazil and Argentina send teams, as does Ireland, Sweden, Finland, India, South Africa, and Australia. Argentina narrowly defeats South Africa in the final.
  • Disneyland opens in California.
  • J.R.R. Tolkien, a British ex-pat living in Boston, publishes the Fellowship of the Ring, the first in a series known collectively as the War of the Ring.
  • Strom Thurmond elected as a Republican
  • Nuremberg hosts the XVI Olympiad. Germany wins the most medals, followed by Italy and then America.
  • Presley releases “Heartbreak Hotel,” his first number 1 hit.
  • Tolkien’s second post-war book, The Two Towers, is published. The War of the Ring series has become a hit, especially in Canada and Australia, where the forces of evil are clearly seen by many as an allegory for the Nazis.
  • Americans launch first satellite.
  • Tolkien’s The Return of the King, showing the epic liberation of mythical Minas Tirith, capital of Gondor, from the clutches of the Dark Lord is widely seen to have political undertones, imagining a restoration of Queen Elizabeth to Britain. The popularity of the War of the Rings series also saw a demand for a rerelease of The Hobbit in America.
  • Australia hosts the 6th World Cup in Melbourne. America and Canada both send teams, along with Mexico, Cuba, Peru, Uruguay, Chile, Vietnam, Manhucko, and Turkey. Italy bests Mexico in the final.
  • Germans land man on the moon.
The 1960s
  • Thurmond re-elected
  • New York City hosts the XVII Olympiad. America wins the most medals, followed by Italy and then Germany.
  • Elvis begins a short-lived movie career.
  • German’s begin work on their first permanent moonbase.
  • Walter Cronkite becomes the anchor of CBS Evening News.
  • Frankfurt hosts the 7th World Cup. Germany loses to the American team in an epic upset. The win shoots soccer up to become a much more popular sport in the US (still farther behind Football and Baseball, but makes it almost on par with Basketball).
  • Adolf Hitler dies. President Thurmond attends the funeral. Heinrich Himmler becomes Fuhrer
  • Hubert Humphrey defeats Thurmond for the presidency
  • Capetown hosts the XVIII Olympiad. This was a very unpopular move by some, and both Canada and Australia boycott the games. Germany comes in first, followed by America and then South Africa.
  • Elvis announces the end to his film career, returning in a live televised special on the 4th of July, from San Francisco. He also surprises many by endorsing Humphrey’s presidential bid.
  • American’s get their first man into space. There is some concern about space becoming the future battlefield.
  • Queen Elizabeth of Canada visits Washington, D.C., along with the Canadian Prime Minister. Unlike Thurmond and even to an extent Kennedy, Humphrey wants to be very open about America’s strong relationship with Canada. In retaliation, Heinrich Himmler cancels a planned trip that had been discussed during Thurmond’s visit to Berlin in ‘63.
  • Walt Disney dies of lung cancer, with the new Disney project in Florida still under development.
  • Paramount launches its popular “Star Trek” franchise by Gene Roddenberry, which will remain in production until WWIII (and later see a revival, albeit with sharply different themes) in the 1980s.
  • New York City hosts the 8th World Cup. Mexico beats Brazil in the first final where no European team even made it close.
  • Walt Disney Studios produces an animated version of The Hobbit, which becomes an instant box office success. There are talks about making films about the War of the Rings, but many at Disney feel they might be too dark for the studio to handle.
  • Humphrey re-elected, defeating Thurmond(?)
  • Sydney edges out to be the host of the XIX Olympiad. South Africa, the UK, and India all boycott, and Germany sent a smaller team than normal in protest as well. America takes first place, followed by Australia and then Japan. These would be the last “free” Olympics.
  • Negotiations begin between Japan and Australia over the fate of several disputed islands on the periphery between the two powers. These talks will stall late in the year.
The 1970s
  • Heinrich Gimpel born in Berlin
  • War breaks out in the Pacific between Australia and Japan in April. On May 1, the rest of the TPA declares war on Japan. At first, Germany remains neutral. The Germans know that the Americans have atomic weapons, and are afraid they might use them against the Reich. And there are some in Berlin who wouldn’t mind seeing Japan taken down a peg.
  • Paris hosts the 9th World Cup. Due to the war in the Pacific, Canada, the US, Australia, Japan (and her imperial client states) all declined to participate. Germany defeats Argentina in the final.
  • Walt Disney Studios releases The Fellowship of the Rings as an animated film to rave reviews. Plans are announced for the other two parts of the trilogy to be released in 1972 and 1974. These, of course, will never be made, as Tolkien’s works were banned in 1972 following the Charleston Accords.
  • June 30: The American Navy uses planes to drop nuclear bombs on a Japanese outpost in the Philippines, along with Hiroshima, admitting for the first time that they also had the weapons that the Reich had boasted of since 1945.
  • July 3-4: The Reich launches a preemptive nuclear strike against the United States and Canada: Washington, DC, Philadelphia, Boston, Detroit, Seattle, Toronto, Ottawa, and San Francisco are all nuked by the Reich by missile, along with Sydney (on behalf of Japan)
  • Strom Thurmond cobbles together a successor government, as Humphrey and his VP and Congress are mostly wiped out.
  • Black militias begin to form up all across the country, in some cases taking over whole towns or even counties in the South, refusing to recognize Thurmond’s government or Nazi control.
  • By the end of the year, New York City is in full rebel control and under siege by the Nazis and “loyal” American Army.
  • Charleston Peace Accords: The United States accepts occupation by the Reich and becomes part of the Deutsches Imperium. Canada is to be dissolved and integrated into the United States. The USA will pay an annual tribute to pay for the occupation services. The USA will allow the SS to operate within its territory to root out undesirable elements. In addition, Hawaii is to be given to Japan.
  • Thurmond formally elected as President, unopposed, with Lester Maddox of Georgia as his VP.
  • The XX Olympiad is canceled due to the unstable situation in the world. They had been set to be held in Brazil.
  • MLK, Jr. and his family are captured and executed by the SS. King will become a martyr for the Black Militias across the USA for generations.
  • Strom Thurmond announces the creation of the Freedom and Justice Party, also stating that all pre-war political parties are banned.
  • The remnant of the FBI and other policing agencies are ordered to assist the SS in the start of purges of political enemies and early racial roundups, and scouting has begun as to where to build proper detention, labor, and extermination camps across the continent.
  • After receiving threats to his family Walter Cronkite agrees to remain at CBS Evening News, now being fed propaganda from the Thurmond government and Nazi occupiers.
  • The Catholic Church of the West is directly targeted by the new occupiers and shut down, with most of its leaders arrested, at least temporarily. Some will be rehabilitated, and the Roman Catholic Church will reassert itself in the US and North America, but with a smaller presence than before the schism.

• The FJP controlled Congress reorganizes the FCC as the Federal Bureau of Communication, essentially a propaganda agency to control media (and will remain a part of the Department of the Interior initially). Initially, it is conceived that the private executives of NBC, ABC, and CBS, along with some of the larger newspaper conglomerates, would make up the board and control the flow of information “organically.” This fails and nationalization is implemented within a few years.
  • First official camps begin opening. Dozens of labor and “reeducation centers” appear across the country. The first two extermination camps (of more than 12 that eventually open in the next half-decade) open at Dry Branch, a small rural community near Macon, Georgia, and near Talladega, Alabama, east of Birmingham. These are joint SS and FBI controlled (with the NBSS taking over the FBI’s roll the following year).
  • Elvis is initially approached to be a sort of spokesperson for the FBC and go on tour, promoting the “New America.” He refuses.
  • Manhattan and Brooklyn fall, but the New York rebellion continues in Queens and the Bronx and across the shore in New Jersey.
  • Congress confirms that the American flag will not be altered, other than going back to 49 stars now that Hawaii has been given to Japan. The national anthem, however, is changed to America the Beautiful (The Star-Spangled Banner and many other more militant songs are quietly banned), the pledge of allegiance is altered: “I pledge allegiance, to the flag, of the United States of America, and to the nation, for which it stands, one race, fighting to defend true freedom and justice.” The official national salute becomes the common fascist salute used in Germany and Italy. The new regulations also stated that the official party flag of the FJP, a red banner with a white stylized American eagle, would be treated as a “co-equal national flag,” always to be flown a the same height and to the national flag’s left (viewer’s right).
  • President Thurmond announces in April that Omaha, Nebraska, will become the new permanent capital of the United States. Despite moving from his power base in Charleston, SC, Thurmond argues this is more central for the entire country now that the Canadian provinces have been annexed, and is also more defensible that Charleston.
  • The Omaha government announces the creation of the National Bureau for State Security (NBSS), which merges the FBI, CIA, Secret Service, and the US Marshals all into one organization. In addition, it is announced that all state and local police will be combined into the National Police Service (NPS).
  • The FBC announces that it is taking over the national telephone network, under the auspices of the North American Telephone Service (NATS)
  • NBSS agents arrest Elvis in the spring, sending him to a reeducation center in the Southwest. Frank Sinatra is shot and killed later in the year while trying to flee NBSS agents.
  • Tokyo hosts the 10th World Cup. Japan loses to India in the final.
  • The FBC announces that all television, radio, print and motion picture services within the United States were being nationalized. ABC, CBS, and NBC are combined into the United States Television Bureau, usually known simply as USTV. Radio is generally under the auspices of the Federal Broadcasting Service, split up into regional affiliates all running similar programming. Newsprint is overseen by the Federal Press Agency, with locally operated papers (some new, some well-established standards) only having sanctioned writers and often carrying the same stories (similar to the old AP syndication). Traditional book press is left to various agencies within the Department of Education. The Federal Entertainment and Media Agency (FEMA) would oversee film and also music production. Studios and record labels were initially left intact, at least on paper but usually with new, pro-regime management, but would be combined and streamlined by the 1980s.
  • At USTV, five channels are introduced: USTV-1 through USTV-5. USTV-1 was the “primary channel,” with regular news shows and other such informational broadcasts of major national events in “primetime.” This included America’s News of the Day (the precursor to the modern US Nightly News which replaced it a decade later), broadcast from 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm, hosted by Cronkite. USTV-2 was a sports and wellness channel, USTV-3 was educational for young viewers, USTV-4 was educational for older viewers, and USTV-5 was entertainment.
  • Siege of New York ends in Axis victory, end of the “American War”
  • The large black militias have largely been pacified and their territory was taken over by a mix of German and American military units.
  • Thurmond “reelected”
  • American Bicentennial marked as the “rebirth of a nation”
  • Certain regions, primarily in the Midwest and parts of the South, are no longer directly under military rule and considered fully pacified. Military districts remain across the West, parts of the Deep South, and New York/New England.
  • The XXI Olympiad is held in Munich. Germany dominates, followed by Italy and then South Africa. America only sent a token team.
  • Elvis dies in camp.
  • It is announced that New York City will be rebuilt by famous German architects, including Albert Speer, and become a showcase city. Speer has also been working with American architects on the redesigning of Omaha
  • Universal, Paramount, FOX, RKO, and MGM are forced to combine by FEMA into Universal-Paramount Continental Studios, eventually shortened to UPC Studios.
  • Warner Bros. and Disney become Warner-Disney Entertainment Studios, shortened as WDE Studios. FEMA wants UPC to be the studios producing films for adults, while WDE will be focused on children and youth. Disneyland remains under the management of WDE. The Florida Property, as it is generally known, has caught the eye of government and Nazi officials for a new future showcase that will get into development in the 1980s.
  • Naples hosts the 11th World Cup. Italy bests France during the final.
The 1980s
  • Thurmond “reelected”
  • The XXII Olympiad is held in Naples. Germany again dominates, followed by Italy and then Brazil.
  • Walter Cronkite suffers a stroke. He will die two years later. The family privately attribute this to the strain of having to work as the puppet for the Thurmond regime in order to protect his family. Tom Brokaw will replace Cronkite, and America’s News of the Day is reimaged as US Nightly News.
  • Heinrich Himmler visits the United States, to mark the ten-year anniversary of the end of World War III. He visits New York (still under intense construction to become the new “model city”), Charleston, and Omaha.
  • Istanbul hosts the 12th World Cup. In a major upset, Persia defeats Brazil in the final.
  • UPC Studios relaunches Star Trek, with the new show Star Trek: The New Frontier.
  • Thurmond “re-elected”
  • The XXIII Olympiad is held in Rio de Janeiro. Germany dominates, followed by Brazil and then Japan.
  • Heinrich Himmler dies, replaced by Kurt Haldweim
  • New York City is officially “reopened” as the new model city as promised. Wide new boulevards and bridges, several gleaming new skyscrapers (plus a restored Empire State Building), and a remodeled Central Park wow the world.
  • The long-overdue Disney World Resort opens in Florida, with the Magic Kingdom (modeled off of Disneyland but much larger). The rides and attractions there have subtle and not so subtle messaging coming from the regime. The Discovery Kingdom will open the following year, and be focused on science and exploration, with a heavy focus on space (including a full-scale replica of the first Moon Base - there are now four separate Moon communities founded by the Reich). The Global Kingdom, scheduled for opening in 1989, will have a showcase of the world (through proper Reich racial and social lenses, of course), the centerpiece of which is a recreation of Berlin’s Great Hall. In all, 15 countries are showcased in the park: Germany, Italy, Spain, France, Japan, Persia, India, the UK, Sweden, Ireland, Vietnam, South Africa, Turkey, Brazil, and the United States.
  • Madrid hosts the 13th World Cup, and Brazil defeats Portugal in the final.
  • Thurmond announces his plan to retire.
  • Vice President Lester Maddox elected as President of the United States
  • The XXIV Olympiad is held in Nagasaki. Japan takes first, followed by Germany and then South Africa, with a special note that America came in 4th place, the closest it had come to the top three since WWIII.
  • President Maddox announces that the United States will no longer pay the currently demanded amount of tribute to Berlin. He demands negotiations for a “fairer settlement,” in November.
The 1990s
  • After failed negotiations in which the Reich would not budge, German military forces are sent out starting on February 9 and Omaha is occupied. Similar deployments occur in New York and St. Louis. Some citizens take to the streets to protest but are brutally put down. President Maddox is captured on February 15 and promptly executed. Speaker of the House Theodore Duke is installed as the new President and chairman of the FJP a month later. The military occupation of the American cities will last through the end of the year.
  • Duke oversees a purge of the FJP, the NBSS, and the NPS, wiping out the still emerging “reform wing” that Maddox had secretly supported while he’d been Vice President under Thurmond. Tens of thousands are arrested, and thousands are executed.
  • The Reich’s Air and Space Ministry announces plans to put a man on Mars by 2005.
  • Copenhagen hosts the 14th World Cup. Germany defeats India in the final.
  • Strom Thurmond dies
  • The wreck of the RMS Titanic is discovered by Reich scientists working with American oceanographers out of Boston.
  • Theodore Duke elected as president (has been president since 1990, after the Maddox debacle)
  • The XXV Olympiad is held in Hamburg. Germany dominates, followed by Italy and the UK.
  • Gottlieb Stutzman is born
  • Hamburg hosts the 15th World Cup, and in a surprise back-to-back victory, Germany wins, defeating Mexico in the final.
  • The last of the military administrative districts in America are dissolved. Regular governance now resumes at the local, state, and federal levels without military oversight. Many feel this would have happened sooner had it not been for the Maddox-inspired uprising in 1990.
  • Theodore Duke reelected
  • Heinrich Gimpel marries Lise Frank
  • To mark the 20th anniversary of the end of WWIII, New York hosts the XXVI Olympiad. This is a propaganda coup for Duke, who is able to show that America is again loyal and stable to the Deutsches Imperium. Germany takes first, followed by South Africa and then the United States.
  • Capetown hosts the 16th World Cup and South Africa defeats defender Germany in the first round. Ultimately, South Africa lost to India in the Final.
The 2000s
  • Duke announces his retirement.
  • David Ingram elected as President of the United States
  • Alicia Gimpel is born
  • Berlin hosts the XXVII Olympiad and celebrates the start of the new millennium. Germany wins first place, followed by Italy and South Africa.
  • German astronauts land on Mars.
  • Francesca Gimpel is born
  • Tom Brokaw announces his retirement from US Nightly News on USTV-1. He is replaced by Peter Vance.
  • Los Angeles hosts the 17th World Cup, but the American team is knocked out right away by Argentina, who then lose in the Semi-finals to India. France beats India in the final.
  • Ingram reelected
  • Roxane Gimpel is born
  • Paris hosts the XXVIII Olympiad. Germany takes first, followed by Japan and then France.
  • Oslo hosts the 18th World Cup, and Germany defeats South Africa in the Final.
  • Ingram reelected
  • London hosts the XXIX Olympiad. Germany again takes first, with Italy taking second and South Africa taking third.
The 2010s
  • Kurt Haldweim dies, replaced by Heinz Buckliger
  • Harbin, Manchukuo, hosts the 19th World Cup. Japan defeats Brazil for the title.
  • SS attempts a coup against Buckliger, fails.
  • First free Reichstag elections
  • Ingram reelected
  • Hamburg hosts the XXX Olympiad. Germany takes first, followed by Japan and then Brazil.
  • Rio de Janeiro hosts the 20th World Cup. Germany is defeated by the host nations in the Semi-Final, who then go on to beat Mexico for the title.
  • Ingram reelected, but FJP nearly loses control of the House
  • Brazil hosts the XXXI Olympiad in Rio de Janerio. Germany takes first, followed by Brazil and then the United States.
  • FJP loses control of the House, a bare majority remains in the Senate. 2020 is expected to be a contested presidential election for the first time since 1968
  • Mexico City hosts the 21st World Cup. Brazil attempts a back-to-back victory but is defeated in the Semi-Finals by the United States. Italy ultimately defeats the USA in the final.
The 2020s
  • Tokyo is set to host the XXXII Olympiad.

What does the opposition to the FJP look like? Are non-FJP parties holding seats or is it like modern China where there are Independents who serve as the legal opposition?

What does the opposition to the FJP look like? Are non-FJP parties holding seats or is it like modern China where there are Independents who serve as the legal opposition?

In the 2016 election, it is independents that serve as legal opposition (2014 as well). By 2018 legal parties have been allowed to form (begrudgingly, but they'd formed anyway so it was more a legal recognition of reality than anything else).

I will say in Turtledoves favor that Nazi Germany winning a war with the US in the 60s/70s is a lot more creative and somewhat more believable then the more standard Nazi victory where they nuke DC in 45 and Stormtroopers are waltzing down Broadway around the same time as OTL VE day. I could see the Nazi's "winning" in some scenarios around then though I think it'd be a "win" where the Americans manage to nuke at least a few German cities. I could see Isolationists keeping the US from directly arming the Brits and the Soviets. But Nazi Germany completely and totally beating both the UK and USSR is likely to scare the shit out of Americans. Even if the US doesn't try and directly fight Nazi Germany I think some sort of large scale military buildup "Fortress America" type scenario where the US might not interfere in Europe but maintains a fuckton of bombs.

I could also see the US falling behind Nazi Germany in some sectors (unlikely but sort of possible in some scenarios) but by the 60's I think any scenario where the Nazi's have previous ruled nukes and rule a large chunk of Eurasia is going to result in the US maintaining it's own sizable nuclear arsenal and intercontinental bombers or missiles.

I suppose some sort of scenario where the Nazi's "Win" and nuke a dozen American cities and destroy much of the US military is plausible with that scenario. But I think Germany (and potentially Japan to boot) would have eaten at least a few City Busters. So you'd have a situation where the US is crippled and the Nazi's can dictate a peace but one where the Nazi's have in turn suffered pretty badly. Say at a minimum Berlin, some of the major German air and naval bases closer to the US, and a couple other cities burning in return for the US losing most of the eastern seaboard.

Deleted member 103950

Unlike Turtledoves other alternate history books. POME isn't meant to be a serious and realistic depiction of how the Nazis could have won World War II. Because lets be perfectly frank, it's utterly impossible for them to have done so even if they had gotten Nuclear technology.

It's meant to be an alternate history scenario that acts as a vehicle for a contemporary audience to get an insight into what life was actually like for Jews in the real world Nazi Germany. The constant paranoia of being found out, having to hide your own heritage to the point of arguably not even practicing it anymore, having to deal with the propaganda that demonizes you from the day you were born. Those are all things real jews in the real Nazi Germany had to suffer. It's a very real horror viewed through a fantasy context.

So speaking purely for myself. Trying to figure out the lore behind the setting/ how the world came to be this way, kind've defeats the point. Because this is not a story that is meant to be historically plausible like say Ruled Britannia was.

I will say in Turtledoves favor that Nazi Germany winning a war with the US in the 60s/70s is a lot more creative and somewhat more believable then the more standard Nazi victory where they nuke DC in 45 and Stormtroopers are waltzing down Broadway around the same time as OTL VE day. I could see the Nazi's "winning" in some scenarios around then though I think it'd be a "win" where the Americans manage to nuke at least a few German cities. I could see Isolationists keeping the US from directly arming the Brits and the Soviets. But Nazi Germany completely and totally beating both the UK and USSR is likely to scare the shit out of Americans. Even if the US doesn't try and directly fight Nazi Germany I think some sort of large scale military buildup "Fortress America" type scenario where the US might not interfere in Europe but maintains a fuckton of bombs.

I could also see the US falling behind Nazi Germany in some sectors (unlikely but sort of possible in some scenarios) but by the 60's I think any scenario where the Nazi's have previous ruled nukes and rule a large chunk of Eurasia is going to result in the US maintaining it's own sizable nuclear arsenal and intercontinental bombers or missiles.

I suppose some sort of scenario where the Nazi's "Win" and nuke a dozen American cities and destroy much of the US military is plausible with that scenario. But I think Germany (and potentially Japan to boot) would have eaten at least a few City Busters. So you'd have a situation where the US is crippled and the Nazi's can dictate a peace but one where the Nazi's have in turn suffered pretty badly. Say at a minimum Berlin, some of the major German air and naval bases closer to the US, and a couple other cities burning in return for the US losing most of the eastern seaboard.

I generally agree with your assessment. The US remaining behind the Germans seems plausible, but not way far behind (not like how MITHC had Japan so far behind the Reich...that was almost too much). If I were writing a TL that was freestanding and not trying to fill in the gaps of a preexisting book, I'd be more inclined to have a WWIII between the Reich and the USA that does have the Reich getting more heat even if it does manage to pull ahead in the end.

That said, your post has made me wonder if it would be able to fit one or two such City Busters hitting the Reich. Turtledove has Henrich and his friend Willi discussing the US, and they make mention of how the USA might have been a formidable foe, and that their fathers likely worried about them in earnest. Obviously, in the book, Berlin doesn't get it. But maybe some smaller cities? Bonn? Dresden? I don't think either was mentioned in the book. Maybe the Americans are able to get in a few rounds before they are forced to surrender.

Thoughts?

Unlike Turtledoves other alternate history books. POME isn't meant to be a serious and realistic depiction of how the Nazis could have won World War II. Because lets be perfectly frank, it's utterly impossible for them to have done so even if they had gotten Nuclear technology.

It's meant to be an alternate history scenario that acts as a vehicle for a contemporary audience to get an insight into what life was actually like for Jews in the real world Nazi Germany. The constant paranoia of being found out, having to hide your own heritage to the point of arguably not even practicing it anymore, having to deal with the propaganda that demonizes you from the day you were born. Those are all things real jews in the real Nazi Germany had to suffer. It's a very real horror viewed through a fantasy context.

So speaking purely for myself. Trying to figure out the lore behind the setting/ how the world came to be this way, kind've defeats the point. Because this is not a story that is meant to be historically plausible like say Ruled Britannia was.

Totally get where you are coming from, and I would even venture to say you're about right on when discussing the likely purpose of POME, and I think it does it fairly well.
For me though it's always left me interested in what life is like in the occupied lands, especially with the fact that it goes a bit of a non-traditional route, that is it doesn't have America defeated in 1945 like in MITHC, but instead in the 1970s.

MaxGerke01

Banned
So a thought about popular culture in the US. In the passage about the Vicki and Landser Sepp dolls and action figures (Barbie and GI Joe OTL) HT mentions how much Hitler liked Gone With the Wind. This raises the likelihood that the Lost Cause of the Confederacy has been dusted off and refurbished https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Cause_of_the_Confederacy. This seems especially likely considering a likely over representation of Southerners (ie Thurmond and Maddox) who were in the collaborationist government and American SS. There would have been virulent racism in casual and everyday life such as the continued existence of greasy spoons like this one- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambo's and much, much worse....
BTW I love the update and hope to see more and more also I would be honored if you included my idea about the alternate Philadelphia Experiment movie as well :)

Last edited:
So a thought about popular culture in the US. In the passage about the Vicki and Landser Sepp dolls and action figures (Barbie and GI Joe OTL) HT mentions how much Hitler liked Gone With the Wind. This raises the likelihood that the Lost Cause of the Confederacy has been dusted off and refurbished https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Cause_of_the_Confederacy. This seems especially likely considering a likely over representation of Southerners (ie Thurmond and Maddox) who were in the collaborationist government and American SS. There would have been virulent racism in casual and everyday life such as the continued existence of greasy spoons like this one- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambo's and much, much worse....
BTW I love the update and hope to see more and more also I would be honored if you included my idea about the alternate Philadelphia Experiment movie as well :)

You're likely not wrong with this idea, we would likely see pop culture pieces from the USA that in OTL we deem too racist hand have since banished to make a comeback or not go away.

Your Philadelphia Experiment movie idea was having to do with the nuclear remains of Philadelphia, correct? Care to flesh that out a bit, I'd like to include it if I can. 😊

Why would Nazi Germany, the most racist government in the history of humankind. Show a movie that has black people in it?

They're racist, but they don't deny the existence of black people. They would want to remind their populace of their "superiority" over those of African descent. And it does seem to be documented (I've found some journal articles) that the Nazis did have a fondness for Gone with the Wind, so I believe that HT was on point there, and it would be likely periodically re-released. Keep in mind that the regime could have heavily edited the original to up the racism.

MaxGerke01

Banned
Your Philadelphia Experiment movie idea was having to do with the nuclear remains of Philadelphia, correct? Care to flesh that out a bit, I'd like to include it if I can. 😊
The movie is based on a book about a group of black prisoners who are deliberately sent into the radioactive ruins of Philadelphia in 1976-in a conscious dig at the Bicentennial-to retrieve any remains of the Liberty Bell for display in Germany and to conduct a long term study on the effects of radiation exposure -like the Tuskegee Experiment did with syphilis in OTL. As for when and where the book is published and the movie made that can be up to you. Of course if its from an American source it would probably not be till the 2020s at least. Perhaps it comes from one of "free countries" like Brazil. Mexico or even Japan at an earlier date ?

As for GWTW it hardly presents black people in a positive light. The good black people are depicted as obedient servants who stay loyal even after the Civil War. The independent black Freedmen are presented as villians along with Union soldiers and so callled Carpetbaggers. Ex Confederate soldiers, Redeemers and Klansmen are the heros.

Last edited: