Affiliated States of Boreoamerica thread

Gian

Banned
A slight biggie (I guess). Just 11 states to go I think:
affiliatedstates-flags.png

I see where you're coming from, but on the other hand, I like that yours includes the rattlesnake symbol without literally copy-pasting from the way-overdone Gadsden Flag.

I'd been trying to sort of graft the open-mouth head from the Gadsden snake onto the more stretched-out snake's body, but my graphic skills weren't up to it.

Gian

Banned
I'd been trying to sort of graft the open-mouth head from the Gadsden snake onto the more stretched-out snake's body, but my graphic skills weren't up to it.

You're not the only one. My Inkscape-fu hasn't progressed to that point yet.

Anyways, just two more to go before I redesign the ASB flag itself and post them all on Deviantart:
affiliatedstates-flags.png

Gian

Banned
Also, since everyone probably wants it, here's a(n absurdly-long) train of my own slate of state flags. Some of those are from OTL, others I left unchanged apart from a few recolors/resizing (I think), some I just made up my own designs on a whim. I'll explain them all in greater detail when I post the actual file itself:
flags-roster.png

Also, since everyone probably wants it, here's a(n absurdly-long) train of my own slate of state flags. Some of those are from OTL, others I left unchanged apart from a few recolors/resizing (I think), some I just made up my own designs on a whim. I'll explain them all in greater detail when I post the actual file itself:
flags-roster.png

I had to move close to the screen to have a better look at them, but everything's fine as they are.

Gian

Banned
I had to move close to the screen to have a better look at them, but everything's fine as they are.
You could just click on the image and then click on the zoom tab (on the upper-right), or just click "Open Image in New Tab". The reason it's the way it is is because again, it's absurdly long (the image is around 30,000(!) pixels long), and I'm actually planning to truncate this once I'm done with the flag-map, and redesigned the ASB flag itself.

Last edited:
You could just click on the image and then click on the zoom tab (on the upper-right), or just click "Open Image in New Tab". The reason it's the way it is is because again, it's absurdly long (the image is around 30,000(!) pixels long), and I'm actually planning to truncate this once I'm done with the flag-map, and redesigned the ASB flag itself.

Thanks for the tip. Usually I just click twice to enlarge it.

flags-roster.png

I appreciate the effort that went into this, but I gotta say: the use of a land turtle for the Cayman Islands doesn't make much sense.

Also, are the name changes supposed to be part of it?

Gian

Banned
I appreciate the effort that went into this, but I gotta say: the use of a land turtle for the Cayman Islands doesn't make much sense.

Also, are the name changes supposed to be part of it?

First off, I couldn't get a heraldic sea tortoise in the Commons, so I just used whatever. As for the state names, I just made so it's a little easy for me to pronounce.

Kosta

Banned
I was talking to Ben about sketching out the religious situation in Alyaska and Oregon and he liked the idea of me doing that, but I was wondering if before I could start that if I could sketch out the history of Nueva Esmirna in Florida and talk about Greek immigration to Florida and the Bahamas. I'd want to do both, don't get me wrong, but Nueva Esmirna and like a blurb about like "Fuente Mújoles" a fishing town overrun by Greek immigrants in 19whatever I could probably knock out in an hour: actually sitting down to get myself reacquainted with how every Alaskan ethnic group that interacted with Russian/Karelian missionaries reacted to proselytization and then using that to speculate how coastal groups in real life Wash. State and Oregon react could take days.

Also what's the deal with the Russian possessions in Thrace, Cyprus, the Heptanese, etc? Did anyone sketch those places out? In case they were open, I asked around some ex-members I know and still keep in touch with. A Russian conquest of C-Town is difficult to figure out. It's not Kars, it's not Samarkand, it's not Crimea. How they rule it will need some real out of the box thinking and for them to tread lightly especially when all of still Anatolia appears to be Muslim-held solely going off the Commonwealth's map. Best I could squeeze out of those ex-members is that the odds of the Russians making Constantinople and its environs its own state are pretty high and the ruler would be a Romanov married to some princess from rent-a-royal German principality services, LLC. No one's going to be happy with Russian rule except the Slavic minority of the City and then the many Slavic villagers in Thrace. Certainly not the Romans and the Muslims. A lot of people in 1821 remember the Orlov Revolt and the betrayal. What time period are we looking at? Sometime around the real life Catherine the Great's reign in my opinion is best, so about 1762-1796 if not earlier. The 1700's are when the Balkans really accelerated its islamization. I read somewhere that Albania was still anywhere from .5-5% Muslim even between 1700-1750. Maybe the tsars can throw all that new Polish and Swede manpower at the war machine in their quest for the city.

Last edited:
I was talking to Ben about sketching out the religious situation in Alyaska and Oregon and he liked the idea of me doing that, but I was wondering if before I could start that if I could sketch out the history of Nueva Esmirna in Florida and talk about Greek immigration to Florida and the Bahamas. I'd want to do both, don't get me wrong, but Nueva Esmirna and like a blurb about like "Fuente Mújoles" a fishing town overrun by Greek immigrants in 19whatever I could probably knock out in an hour: actually sitting down to get myself reacquainted with how every Alaskan ethnic group that interacted with Russian/Karelian missionaries reacted to proselytization and then using that to speculate how coastal groups in real life Wash. State and Oregon react could take days.

Also what's the deal with the Russian possessions in Thrace, Cyprus, the Heptanese, etc? Did anyone sketch those places out? In case they were open, I asked around some ex-members I know and still keep in touch with. A Russian conquest of C-Town is difficult to figure out. It's not Kars, it's not Samarkand, it's not Crimea. How they rule it will need some real out of the box thinking and for them to tread lightly especially when all of still Anatolia appears to be Muslim-held solely going off the Commonwealth's map. Best I could squeeze out of those ex-members is that the odds of the Russians making Constantinople and its environs its own state are pretty high and the ruler would be a Romanov married to some princess from rent-a-royal German principality services, LLC. No one's going to be happy with Russian rule except the Slavic minority of the City and then the many Slavic villagers in Thrace. Certainly not the Romans and the Muslims. A lot of people in 1821 remember the Orlov Revolt and the betrayal. What time period are we looking at? Sometime around the real life Catherine the Great's reign in my opinion is best, so about 1762-1796 if not earlier. The 1700's are when the Balkans really accelerated its islamization. I read somewhere that Albania was still anywhere from .5-5% Muslim even between 1700-1750. Maybe the tsars can throw all that new Polish and Swede manpower at the war machine in their quest for the city.
Considering the PoD is around 1600, you have a lot of latitude to work with the how and why.

I too have been puzzling over how Russia and the affiliated commonwealth realms work together and how they don't, and how that United parliament thing works.

Polandball representing the different kind of accent amongst different langages (I might be wrong in a few of them tho)
8Ngqzos.png

fEnmn2U.jpg

0GlralO.png

J1wODcl.png

Last edited: