Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
1578720816936.png

map of the usa in 2070, during the election between the Dixiecrats, Libercrats, and Republicrats
I'll make an election wikibox later maybe

Are there any expeditions to the Americas or outside of the ME?

No idea, but the Texans trying to reclaim their legendary homeland seems likely. I picture them sending some larger military vessels to find the Americas and then something goes wrong and they get lost, but that's just because it makes for a cool story. The Americas definitely get discovered eventually, seeing as technology gets a huge boost, people will be able to get there relatively early on, it's just that America is seen as a myth by later generations, so the continent could have a different name. I was considering writing, in an Amraki ancestral homeland myth section "The continent of [name] was almost named Amrak after the mythical homeland of these ancient people, however [name] was chosen instead because..." I just couldn't come up with a name (I'd have to go through a lot of history to figure out whether descendants of the Americans or another group discover the continent, then figure out how their language developed, and then picked a good name in that language). I didn't just want the Americas to straight up be called America or Amrak.

Sorry if this is a disappointing explanation, I told you it wasn't really well thought out.

No idea, but the Texans trying to reclaim their legendary homeland seems likely. I picture them sending some larger military vessels to find the Americas and then something goes wrong and they get lost, but that's just because it makes for a cool story. The Americas definitely get discovered eventually, seeing as technology gets a huge boost, people will be able to get there relatively early on, it's just that America is seen as a myth by later generations, so the continent could have a different name. I was considering writing, in an Amraki ancestral homeland myth section "The continent of [name] was almost named Amrak after the mythical homeland of these ancient people, however [name] was chosen instead because..." I just couldn't come up with a name (I'd have to go through a lot of history to figure out whether descendants of the Americans or another group discover the continent, then figure out how their language developed, and then picked a good name in that language). I didn't just want the Americas to straight up be called America or Amrak.

Sorry if this is a disappointing explanation, I told you it wasn't really well thought out.
Maybe Oohsia, a corruption of U.S.A.
Edit: Or Tikshaz, a corruption of Texas.

Last edited:
The (Not So) Great Texas-Iraq ( or Rio-Tigris) ISOT
@Bubbykins , this one's for you​

LfgZEPJ.jpg

The Pecos-Rio Grande river system switched with the Tigris-Euphrates one.

ctDOetV.jpg

Modern US and Mexico (well, really around 2010) around these rivers immediately following an ISOT to this region in 1400 BCE.

OwVtftB.jpg

This isn't by any means a well though out TL, definitely has more holes than Swiss Cheese, but here it is.

The Big Map:

RjrOGZ5.jpg

Legend:
Sorry for the many unlabeled cities in the last map, I was more focused on trying out a graphical style that I don't have much experience with than on getting I every detail.
The idea behind the names is that this "Ancient US"'s records are lost over time (most road signs are destroyed, as are many computers, the Texans don't bring back the internet, however, there are extensive connections between a few individual devices through Bluetooth and similar technologies. Most technology is kept, but names are largely forgotten, and many come from foreign (Egyptian and Median/Madai) texts, resulting in name changes.
  • Makalan = McAllen
  • Montarai = Monterrey (the one in Mexico obviously)
  • Waraz = Juarez
  • Las Krusas = Las Cruces
  • Karlabad = Carlsbad
  • Addaas = Odessa
  • Pakas = Pecos
  • Albakurk = Albuquerque (the ee sound at the end got dropped)
  • Santafa = Santa Fe
  • Al Basa = El Paso
America --> Americuh (uh is barely registered by the foreigners) --> Americ' --[passed through foreign phonetics]--> Amrak
Yerak is just how Iraq was transliterated from Amraki English by its neighbors.

I'm really looking for feedback on the big map/graphic, the style and composition, not the information.

Apologies for any spelling and grammatical errors. Also, a note, this is not something I would want to happen, it's just something that was discussed on this thread that I found interesting.

How the hell does this nation collapse in just two hundred years?

How the hell does this nation collapse in just two hundred years?

It's a beautiful map and the graphics are amazing, but I agree. The region ISOTed has around 10-12 million inhabitants in a time when the Earth as a whole only had around 40 million people. The Americans and Mexicans should be able to demographically absorb the whole Middle East- and I wouldn't count the Mexicans out. The largest modern city in the scenario is Monterrey, Mexico, there are at least 6 million Mexicans in the ISOT, and a large percentage (possibly a majority) of the Americans brought along are Hispanic.

EDIT: The more that I think about this- and I do love the scenario- but my biggest objection is how the Mexicans just sort of quietly disappear. The two largest cities in the world are Mexican- the Monterrey MA has 4.6 million people , the Juarez MA has 2.5 million and there are at least 7-8 million Mexican citizens. The largest American city is Albuqurque with 1.1 million people in the Albuqurque-SantaFe-Las Vegas CSA, there are roughly 5 million American (3 million in the Texas Border Region, 2 million in New Mexico and the other parts of Texas) citizens, about 2/3 of those Americans are at least partly Hispanic or Latino. Most of the ISOTed population of the world will speak at least some Spanish, although it's possible that a majority of the ISOTed population will also speak some English. Not that predominantly Hispanic and Latino Americans are going to up and decide they want to be Mexicans, but any union between the American and Mexican territories is going to speak Spanish just as much as it speaks English and it will be leaning hard on a common Hispanic culture as a unifying factory. It wouldn't be an American-dominated union.

1578772955345.png

Last edited:
I was going to wait to finish this to post here.... But whatever
I am going to make a thread when I finish it.
TANS is something I've been working on for two days. It's a middle ground between TACOS and TOASTER. Although on the smaller side. Hope everyone enjoys this pre-finished version!
1578773384771.png

Another Announcement about Ahikto, I've decided as it's been a bit harsh for world-building related issues, Ahikto will be splitting into two, Ahikto the original and Jamyt, the new map. Work on Jamyt is underway.

Status
Not open for further replies.