Status
Not open for further replies.
Will the SDP survive Bernie's resignation? Answers on a post card.

Intervention in Bengal. There's no way that could possibly go wrong.

I wonder how successful the NI border poll talks will be.

How much control does the government in Bosnia have over OTL Bosnian-Hercegovinan territory? Why did Germany recognise this secession(ist government)?

This person's asking the big questions.

But I guess I shouldn't pester you too much about the Balkans. The little hints were definitely nice though.

Political Map of the World, 1920
ueBA9VF.png

Well! It's been 2 exciting years so far since I first embarked upon this journey wholesale with a thread. To celebrate this occasion, I have compiled a map of the world as it stood one hundred years ago (and minus 10 days). I do hope this will help ground some of the concepts that guide Our Fair Country more, and as always, feel free to ask questions! I'll respond to earlier questions as well. But most importantly, thank you all for spending these last two years reading, commenting, and enjoying this timeline. On to the next year!

Last edited:
Incredible map! I love the attention to detail, especially with the alternate Chinese concessions and alternate Russian Civil War.

However, is Indochina British? It is labelled as such, despite being colored French. Are the two Sudans intentional too?

USSR spilt in 2? How long did this last for?
Well USSR didn't exist yet at this point, you can refer to the russian revolution update for more details

Interesting thought: By 1955, Soviet Russia has been united only for about 10 continuous years (with the russian government holding territories in the far east until 1928, then in 1938 the Germano-Polish invasion cutting western territories, in 1945 the soviet civil war they lose territory around Omsk from what've seen, and apparently the civil war only ended in 1955)

BflcEuD.png

Well! It's been 2 exciting years so far since I first embarked upon this journey wholesale with a thread. To celebrate this occasion, I have compiled a map of the world as it stood one hundred years ago (and minus 10 days). I do hope this will help ground some of the concepts that guide Our Fair Country more, and as always, feel free to ask questions! I'll respond to earlier questions as well. But most importantly, thank you all for spending these last two years reading, commenting, and enjoying this timeline. On to the next year!

So apologies if these have been answered elsewhere but :
1. Did Britain never gain access to the territories they acquired in the middle east in OTL? If not, how does Isreal come into existence. Thinking about the Balfour declaration
2. Although i'm sure this is more than just a simple answers, but how does the UK and the empire rank in power and strength here, in relation to OTL? They seem a little more powerful in this TL in general, but who knows.

Is Sander's health any worse then OTL?

Not all that much, and perhaps not even at all. Word on the street was that this was all politically driven.

How much control does the government in Bosnia have over OTL Bosnian-Hercegovinan territory? Why did Germany recognise this secession(ist government)?

The government has... some control. Germany recognised it due to... well... details coming soon.

So who are the SDP leadership candidates? I'm guessing Tonko gives it a run, but does a challenger emerge from the left?

At the moment it's Paul Tonko who has declared, but there's speculation that Jim McGovern will stand against him.

USSR spilt in 2? How long did this last for?

The USSR had not split at any time. Soviet Ukraine and Soviet Byelorussia were both vehicles of the overall Soviet revolution. All other polities (with the except of Turkestan, which was a red revolution, but independent of the Bolsheviks) are anti-Soviet in nature.

Awesome as always! Is the German population drop versus OTL a mistake, or were they screwed so badly in the Great War?
Incredible map! I love the attention to detail, especially with the alternate Chinese concessions and alternate Russian Civil War.

However, is Indochina British? It is labelled as such, despite being colored French. Are the two Sudans intentional too?

It seems Germany has the same population as France. The Weimar Republic population in 1920 was about 61-62million.

I have updated the map with these elements fixed.

Well USSR didn't exist yet at this point, you can refer to the russian revolution update for more details

Interesting thought: By 1955, Soviet Russia has been united only for about 10 continuous years (with the russian government holding territories in the far east until 1928, then in 1938 the Germano-Polish invasion cutting western territories, in 1945 the soviet civil war they lose territory around Omsk from what've seen, and apparently the civil war only ended in 1955)

That is correct! The later half of the 20th century is considered the "golden years" of the Soviet Union. Little unrest at home, strong economic growth, a united government, good harvests and a prosperous people. Many today consider the 21st century as the coming "Soviet Century."

So apologies if these have been answered elsewhere but :
1. Did Britain never gain access to the territories they acquired in the middle east in OTL? If not, how does Isreal come into existence. Thinking about the Balfour declaration
2. Although i'm sure this is more than just a simple answers, but how does the UK and the empire rank in power and strength here, in relation to OTL? They seem a little more powerful in this TL in general, but who knows.

1. Britain never gained control over middle eastern territories. As the Ottoman Empire collapsed, and with the support of the British (think Balfour), a Jewish State was declared from the remnants of the Ottoman Empire. It was initially centred around Haifa and Acre, and a military force backed by the Royal Navy and assembled and outfitted in the United Kingdom, landed there and proclaimed the State of Israel. The rest of Israeli history will be covered at a later date.
2. If you take the British Empire at its peak, it is, in fact, less powerful than reality. However, the British still remain dominate due to the extreme disinterest of the United States to step in an engage wholesale in world affairs. The United States is still heavily isolationist, and only maintains 4-5 bases outside of U.S. Territory. It's role in the Cold War was much more muted, and a persistent and dominate ideology was opposition to colonialism, not communism. There was never a second Red Scare in the United States, and the Soviets knew to leave it well enough alone. This did not mean the United States didn't take all precautions to defend itself - it maintained a large military and nuclear arsenal to defend against all threats.

ueBA9VF.png

Now this is a map i've wanted to see for a while. As always it does not disappoint. Far from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.