Kaiserreich: Legacy of the Weltkrieg

Has anyone figured out how to win as the main Left-KMT faction (the one led by Jiangwei, not any of the ones that can take power in the cliques)? First couple times got bogged down fighting Shangqing and couldn't win after the Federalists eventually declared war. Next time around the Right-KMT successfully took over Guangdong and I was beating up on Shandong before the Qing declared war and at that point I couldn't fight both of them and win either.

Does it just require a lot of luck with knocking out the Shanqing/Shandong early? Dealing with Nanjing and Anqing is easy enough, but I can never seem to defeat the Shanqing fast enough to not get forced into a two front war with another faction that I can't win.

Has anyone figured out how to win as the main Left-KMT faction (the one led by Jiangwei, not any of the ones that can take power in the cliques)? First couple times got bogged down fighting Shangqing and couldn't win after the Federalists eventually declared war. Next time around the Right-KMT successfully took over Guangdong and I was beating up on Shandong before the Qing declared war and at that point I couldn't fight both of them and win either.

Does it just require a lot of luck with knocking out the Shanqing/Shandong early? Dealing with Nanjing and Anqing is easy enough, but I can never seem to defeat the Shanqing fast enough to not get forced into a two front war with another faction that I can't win.

Sending attaches as soon as possible, this lets you get army exp really fast and get rid of that army reform focus, this gives you a great advantage. Focus on military and steam role the south as fast as you can.

Sending attaches as soon as possible, this lets you get army exp really fast and get rid of that army reform focus, this gives you a great advantage. Focus on military and steam role the south as fast as you can.
I can't seem to do any army reforms beyond the first one *until* I defeat Shandong/Shangqing.

Who could be the darkest tiimeline to unite China? I like doing those first so I can put my blessed timelines into perspective ya know?
Ma Zhongying. Technically not a China unifier tag, but probably the worst human being in this rework and certainly with the potential to go very far if led by a player.

Odd, Shandong/Shangqing is the one I struggle the least with as LKMT - by the time I face off against them, I will have already built a large enough army through unit spawns to break through without serious difficulty.

How do you advance against Shangqing? Playing LKMT taught me a lot about force concentration, that's what I recommend. Gather your best divisions into a separate army of 5 or 6 divisions strong and use them to push in 1 division wide tile offensives, with constant Force Push commander actions, to encircle enemy divisions. And keep NRA unit spawns in mind - always prioritize victory points which, if captured, will allow you to activate additional units.

Oh, and the "Move Quickly" mechanic is important too. If it's Shangqing who gets the timer, rather than you, then you essentially just need to wait them out.

Last edited:
, and the "Move Quickly" mechanic is important too. If it's Shangqing who gets the timer, rather than you, then you essentially just need to wait them out.
Move quickly mechanic?

How do you advance against Shangqing? Playing LKMT taught me a lot about force concentration, that's what I recommend. Gather your best divisions into a separate army of 5 or 6 divisions strong and use them to push in 1 division wide tile offensives, with constant Force Push commander actions, to encircle enemy divisions. And keep NRA unit spawns in mind - always prioritize victory points which, if captured, will allow you to activate additional units.
This is what I did in my latest game and it was working but I still couldn't defeat them before Qing intervened. And had they not been couped by the Right KMT, the Federalists in Guangdong would have intervened by then too going by previous games.

Move quickly mechanic?
The timers which participants in the L8P war get while fighting each other, like this:

unknown.png

I believe that Daí li can have the worst regime possible in KR along with William Pelley. Daí li is not a communist (ML), neither a left wing fascist, he does not really seems to have a ideology apart from 1984 levels of societal control. Dai li is not Hitler or Stalin, he's the big brother, and his China is not brown or dark red, it is black.

I believe that Daí li can have the worst regime possible in KR along with William Pelley. Daí li is not a communist (ML), neither a left wing fascist, he does not really seems to have a ideology apart from 1984 levels of societal control. Dai li is not Hitler or Stalin, he's the big brother, and his China is not brown or dark red, it is black.

How do you actually get him to power?

China Rework lead here, popping in to respond to some of the comments I've seen about the state of the release. This is my first post here, but I've occasionally passed by in the past to monitor reactions to progress reports and so forth.

I mostly don't disagree with you. I understand completely why they did what they did and I don't fault them for it. In my opinion however, I would have preferred they took a bit more time.

Now where I disagree is with the whole alpha-beta points. I'm sorry but can someone define what those words even mean anymore? No. It used to be that alpha was the conceptual work and essentially predevelopment and beta was when we actually had gameplay before the completion of the product. How is Kaiserreich' alpha any different from it's beta except that we have a bit more gameplay? Granted, what we have is fantastic and enjoyable. But it is still fundamentally the same as it was 6 months ago.

There seems to have been an impression given that the China Rework is, or was, a finished product. Actually I'd say some have gone even further and anticipated a full AAA game release, complete with external QA testing. The fact of the matter is that further delays wouldn't have made much difference because we're a group of non-professionals working in our spare time on the largest single project our team has ever undertaken. The difficulties inherent in the China rework are something I covered in my talk at PDXCon back in November, but two things I didn't really mention specifically were the amorphous natures of deadlines and testing.

Deadlines are a problematic subject when it comes to modding because, as it's difficult to track progress, you can't make specific deadlines and hold to them. Sure "John" working on one tag may've made excellent progress and finished up all his work, but "Jill" over on another tag might be lagging behind. John is ready and rearing to go for his next project, and so you go to check out Jill's work and spend a lot of time getting it into shape. But then it turns out that actually John had far different standards than you expected. In actuality he was so bored with this project and so excited about getting on to his next one, that he added only placeholder text for half of his events despite claiming it was complete.

At the same time, without deadlines there's little pressure, so people take their time and often a lot of it. Over time work becomes so slow that momentum drops, and with it morale, leading to stagnation - which is a state I'd say we were in prior to PDXcon. We made more progress in November-December than we did in the three months prior, and really most of the coding for the China rework came together in the six or seven months prior to release.

Testing is another complicated thing because you face another slightly different paradox (pardon the pun), in that the most qualified people to test are also those with the least time to do so, which is the people who developed the tags themselves - People who are already spending most of their free time meaning they don't have any to spare. But still, only they know how everything is meant to come together, and on top of that purpose-"hired" testers tend to do a patchy job. Since we can't really demand that they do anything in particular they'll often test only the tags they're interested in, test for only a year or two, or ignore problems with the assumption that others have already reported them. This is to say nothing of testers who play through a tag and, when asked for feedback, simply tell you "it was ok".

Put these things together and it made sense for us to release when we did, because not only were we risking more stagnation, but we were also at the point where the best way to get feedback was to release. The China rework's aim was never to release China as a perfect product, but instead to bring it to level with the rest of the mod as it hadn't been touched in detail since Darkest Hour, and since HoI2 in overall design. With the rework as the foundation we can go on to polish it and add more content going forward.

As for the Alpha-Beta thing, the decision was made because virtually all countries now have a focus tree. Personally I'm now hoping to see us move away from totally reworking countries and on to filling in gaps and polishing existing content.

China Rework lead here, popping in to respond to some of the comments I've seen about the state of the release. This is my first post here, but I've occasionally passed by in the past to monitor reactions to progress reports and so forth.

There seems to have been an impression given that the China Rework is, or was, a finished product. Actually I'd say some have gone even further and anticipated a full AAA game release, complete with external QA testing. The fact of the matter is that further delays wouldn't have made much difference because we're a group of non-professionals working in our spare time on the largest single project our team has ever undertaken. The difficulties inherent in the China rework are something I covered in my talk at PDXCon back in November, but two things I didn't really mention specifically were the amorphous natures of deadlines and testing.

Deadlines are a problematic subject when it comes to modding because, as it's difficult to track progress, you can't make specific deadlines and hold to them. Sure "John" working on one tag may've made excellent progress and finished up all his work, but "Jill" over on another tag might be lagging behind. John is ready and rearing to go for his next project, and so you go to check out Jill's work and spend a lot of time getting it into shape. But then it turns out that actually John had far different standards than you expected. In actuality he was so bored with this project and so excited about getting on to his next one, that he added only placeholder text for half of his events despite claiming it was complete.

At the same time, without deadlines there's little pressure, so people take their time and often a lot of it. Over time work becomes so slow that momentum drops, and with it morale, leading to stagnation - which is a state I'd say we were in prior to PDXcon. We made more progress in November-December than we did in the three months prior, and really most of the coding for the China rework came together in the six or seven months prior to release.

Testing is another complicated thing because you face another slightly different paradox (pardon the pun), in that the most qualified people to test are also those with the least time to do so, which is the people who developed the tags themselves - People who are already spending most of their free time meaning they don't have any to spare. But still, only they know how everything is meant to come together, and on top of that purpose-"hired" testers tend to do a patchy job. Since we can't really demand that they do anything in particular they'll often test only the tags they're interested in, test for only a year or two, or ignore problems with the assumption that others have already reported them. This is to say nothing of testers who play through a tag and, when asked for feedback, simply tell you "it was ok".

Put these things together and it made sense for us to release when we did, because not only were we risking more stagnation, but we were also at the point where the best way to get feedback was to release. The China rework's aim was never to release China as a perfect product, but instead to bring it to level with the rest of the mod as it hadn't been touched in detail since Darkest Hour, and since HoI2 in overall design. With the rework as the foundation we can go on to polish it and add more content going forward.

As for the Alpha-Beta thing, the decision was made because virtually all countries now have a focus tree. Personally I'm now hoping to see us move away from totally reworking countries and on to filling in gaps and polishing existing content.
Well, I appreciate you taking the time to explain some things and how this works. Based on what you have seen, when do you anticipate Kaiserreich being seen as fully completed? Is there ever a point where development would simply stop?

Well, I appreciate you taking the time to explain some things and how this works. Based on what you have seen, when do you anticipate Kaiserreich being seen as fully completed? Is there ever a point where development would simply stop?

It's hard to say, and if I had to guess I'd say no - it'll probably never be truly finished. I do anticipate a gradual slowdown though, especially once DLC stops being released for HoI4 - whenever that is. HoI5, or whatever its successor might be called, will inevitably start everything all over again though.

That said I'd personally like us to set a base-line for the lore at some point. The constant state of rework we've had for practically the whole world will damage the setting's consistency after a while, because it'll be impossible to nail anything down and know what's true in one version versus another. That means less thorough events and such, not to mention less art and fan-fiction. It's difficult to develop in-depth content when there's a good chance its basis will change in the near future.

Well, HOI5 will probably start everything all over again. It isn't entirely certain, HOI4 did... but HOI3 didn't.

That's because HoI3 was extremely difficult to mod. I don't expect Paradox will go that route again, considering their pretty big emphasis on moddability these days - even if there is still a ways to go in that regard.

That's because HoI3 was extremely difficult to mod. I don't expect Paradox will go that route again, considering their pretty big emphasis on moddability these days - even if there is still a ways to go in that regard.
Total opposite of Rockstar, who seems to try to block offline modding as much as possible.