DBWI: No Wade/Adam Administration

Thomas1195

Banned
IOTL, Grant intended to run but died suddenly in 1867, while Sherman refused to run. Benjamin Wade managed to win the Republican Nomination and picked Charles Francis Adams as VP. They went on to win 1868 and 1872 elections with a platform of civil rights and civil service reform.

The Wade Administration had quite significant achievements, notably suppressing the KKK, introducing federal-funded public education, enacting Civil Service Reform and reducing corruption, and several pro-labour bills as well. However, perhaps the most significant long-term impact was that he cemented the Republican Party as America's main centre-left reforming political force, although the National Republican rebellion in 1872 election nearly costed him the presidency. He could not, however, fully achieved equal rights for black people, and the issue was not solved until the 1930s.

What if Grant survived? We can be sure that he would have taken the Nomination and the Presidency. So, what would happen the US in general and the South in particular? How would the Republican Party evolved differently?

If Grant did survive his fall off his horse, or simply did not fall at all, the United States would not have gone to war with the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland over the building of warships for the CSA. While the war was inconclusive, it was a waste of lives and resulted in no territory changes.
Though the Democrats lean to the right side of the spectrum in OTL, maybe the Dems would become more left leaning somehow if Grant lived. (I don't know how though, considering the fact they ran freaking Ben Tillman in 1896 and got him elected in 1904).

Thomas1195

Banned
Though the Democrats lean to the right side of the spectrum in OTL, maybe the Dems would become more left leaning somehow if Grant lived. (I don't know how though, considering the fact they ran freaking Ben Tillman in 1896 and got him elected in 1904).
Evidence suggests that Grant was very trusting of his friends and family members. This could be a serious weakness. I mean, the risk of nepotism would be very serious due to Grant's personality, and the corrupt, pro-Spoil System National Republicans (who btw often had ties with Robber Barons) might be able to take advantage of it and thus control the party. ITTL, we might see a Liberal or Progressive Republican revolt in 1872, probably led by Senate Leader Charles Sumner, or by Horace Greeley. ITTL, Democrats might be able to coopt Liberal Republican Platform and brand themselves as reformers, and thus attracting progressive and reformist elements away from the Republicans (IOTL Democrats coopted National Republicans and painted Wade Republicans as a bunch of dangerous radicals).

so if Grant lived, maybe we would be seeing the national republican faction stay with the the party instead of drifting to the democrats?
I guess that would mean the republicans wouldn't nominate President William Jennings Bryan in this timeline, much less elect him in 1900.

Thomas1195

Banned
so if Grant lived, maybe we would be seeing the national republican faction stay with the the party instead of drifting to the democrats?
I guess that would mean the republicans wouldn't nominate President William Jennings Bryan in this timeline, much less elect him in 1900.
They could have even thrived under a Grant Administration if they managed to take advantage of his personality weakness and potential lack of political skills, because they controlled much of the patronage system. We could potentially see an infamously corrupt administration.

In this scenario, reformers/progressives/liberals might have bolted the party and the Democrats might have taken advantage by adopting a similar position. I can see Chase, Sumner, Schurz, Banks, Butler, Adams, Greeley... defecting and forming a Liberal Republican Party.