Mario Goes Hollywood: A Collaborative Timeline

It can, this collaboration is how the switch carts can hold so much data. A gen 1 version of the switch carts could match the data storage for the gba's cartridges.
I'm talking about DS like flash cards, still if flash improve, that could help a lot both sega and nintendo

I'm talking about DS like flash cards, still if flash improve, that could help a lot both sega and nintendo
Indeed. Depending on how it gets made, it would benefit Nintendo. But that depends on what happens:

1. NEC stays as Sega's exclusive hardware partner. Sandisk would have to find someone else to make the chip for the double density part or its can be implemented into a possible hard drive for Project Katana.
2. The Sega/NEC deal falls through, and NEC decides to sell this idea to anyone who wants to use it. Then we have our otl DS carts by 2005.

Well while we wait, I have another Sonic scenario to review:

Sonic X-Treme

Platform: Sega Saturn and Windows PC

Release Date: May 18th, 1997 for the Saturn in all territories and November 20th, 1997 for Windows PC.

Developed by: Sega Technical Institiute, with additional support from Sonic Team Japan

Producer: Mike Wallis

Directors: Takashi Iizuka and Christian Senn

Character and Levels Designed by: Christian Senn, Ryo Kudo, Richard Wheller, Ross Harris, Andrew Pobert, and Jason Kuo.

Programming: Olaf Alon and Christian Senn for the main engine, Toshiaki Yajima, Tatsuo Yamajiri, Arata Hanashima, and Hiroshi Okamoto for the boss and special stage engine.

Music Composed by: Howard Drossin with additional tracks by Junko Shiratsu.

Voice Direction by: Lani Minella

Featuring the Voices of: Leonardo Dicaprio as Sonic (reprising his role from the movie), Tara Strong as Tiara the Mynx, Maurice Lamarche as Doctor Robotnitk, Brian Drummond as Knuckles the Echidna, Corey Bringas as Miles “Tails” Prower, Scott Mcniel as Fang the Sniper.

1996 may have been one of Sonic The Hedgehog best years, but for the team at Sega Technical Institute, it felt like one of its worse.

Established in 1991 by Mark Cerny and Tom Kalinske, the development arm of Sega US had put together a multitude of killer apps for the Genesis. Sonic 2 and 3K, Comix Zone, and the Ooze to name a few. But going into 94, a small team headed up by Christian Senn would be given their greatest assignment to date: Make a mainline Sonic game by themselves in 2 years for the Genesis's successor: Project Saturn. “This was a curve for us, as many teams were prepping themselves for the next console by making a game for the Turbo Charger. At the time, we thought that corporate had so much faith in our abilities. We wouldn't be able to reward that faith until much later in development.”-Olaf Alon, in an interview with Sonic Retro in 2016.

The first year of X-Treme's development would begin with just trying to make up an engine for the game while also thinking up ideas for the scenario. By the summer of 95, a simple level running on the engine was shown to Sega's Corporate hierarchy, but to their seniors at Sonic Team Japan. For the corporate members, they seemed interested but not ecstatic over what the team created. “After the demonstration, Yuji Naka pulled us aside, clapped each of us on the shoulder and promptly said good luck. That day was the day I was determined to prove him wrong.”-Chris Senn. This build would not be playable at E3 but be included in the Saturn's highlight reel hyping its release in September.

This would be the high point of STI's development time. By January 96, they were woefully behind schedule. The engine was regularly dropping its framerate, certain parts of the level geometry would glitch, and one of the seven boss fights would cause the game to crash. Due to the goodwill and feedback given at E3 95, Sega was originally pushing for the game to be ready for Holiday 96 but if this game ships in this condition, any hope of a successful Saturn holiday dies with it. The whip would be cracked to fix the problem, but with the entire team unable to find the source of the glitches by May, it looked like they would need to start from scratch to fix the problem. Enter Takashi Iizuka. Iizuka had just finished his design work on Sonic Team Japan's newest title Nights into Dreams at the start of the year and a new assignment hadn't been given to him yet. One thing he was also doing on the side was serving as a liason between Naka and STI's progress. “Seeing Chris's project falling apart at the seams really hurt me, because he was the one who helped me feel at home when I joined Sega. I began to do what I can to help my friend and help that game be the success I knew it could be.”-Takashi Iizuka.

By E3 96, no mention of Sonic X-Treme would be made nor would a playable build be show at Sega's booth. Behind closed doors however, the decision would be made to restart development on X-Treme. But this time STI would not be alone on development. Iizuka spent his time well recruiting members of the last major Sonic Release: Knuckles Chaotix to join on this project. With their help, X-Treme would quickly make a turnaround. First, the original engine was scrapped along with the fisheye camera. It its place, the camera would be active behind the model of each character as they traverse through each level. Second, the zones would regress back to the 3 act layout along with a separate arena for boss fights. It its place, each acts will fall into one of 3 categories: a hallway platformer with the fixed camera, a 2d side scrolling platformer more in line with the classic era games, or a sandbox level where the camera can be freely moved to find alternate routes through the level. While missing out on E3, Sonic X-Treme would make its triumphant return as the lead game of Sega's Tokyo Game Show press conference, along with a release date of 1997.​

Alright let's begin on the story.

As for the game itself, the story would be take 3's approach at storytelling and expand it.

The game begins with Sonic and Tails returning to Westside Island and finding the island not just at peace but with much of Eggman's occupation being cleaned up. The Oil Ocean and Metropolis area both being abandoned while the deforestation in Hill Top and the Mystic Cave. Tails takes off to go see how he can help with the cleanup. Meanwhile, Sonic decides to focus back on a little exploration trip he was planning before the ruckus at Angel Island sidetracked: The Hidden Palace of Order. This Palace belonged to another ancient civilization that lived on the island: The Ringsmithers. After a brief check in at the Aquatic Ruin, Sonic would manage to trace one of the ringsmithers strongholds to the Mystic Forest (aka Wood Zone).

Level 1: Wood Zone. A massive forest of sprawling treehouses, catakillers, chameleons, and rusted glowflies badniks. The Boss for this level is a mechanical wood monster who cuts down trees and shoots fire in your path as you chase him.

After taking down the Wood Monster, Sonic radios Tails on what happened here. Once he arrives, the two check out some of these rusted badniks. With Robotnitk's abandonment of the Wing Fortress and other bases on this island, the badniks haven't gotten any maintenance done in years along with no real idea on what to do without their master to tell them. This makes them ripe picking for the two as they find their destination:

Level Two: Sylvania Castle. This level is a combination of Aquatic Ruin's springs along with Marble Garden Zone's statue arrows. The boss fight is a yellow cat wielding the power rings in the arena to create homing lassos, close range chakrams, and flash steps to cover distance. Use the sonic boom (hit a to jump and c to bounce to cause a shock wave) to knock her out and then follow up with either a spin dash or a homing spin.

After beating the boss, she introduces herself as Tiara the Mynx, full time archaeologist from the continent of Solaris. Tails explains that no such continent exists on their world. Before Tiara can refute both of them, the floor collapses beneath the three and knocks them unconscious. When they wake up, it appears that their in the very land that Sonic was looking for.

Level 3: The Hidden Palace

Alright Part 2 of Sonic X-Treme

Level 3: The Hidden Palace

This is the first level where you can choose your character. For Tiara, her jump is a bit lower than Sonic and significantly less than Tails. Swinging Chakrams with B, Homing Lasso-C, Flash Step-Hit B Then C. The Hidden Palace has had a slight update from its incarnation in Sonic 2. Where there was Diamonds, there are now rings with runes placed into the center, the enemies are knights wielding swords, lances, axes and energy shooting crossbows. The Boss is a Chimera of a fire breathing lion, an ice breathing walrus, and a wind shooting eagle. It also has the ability to cause Earthquakes when it pounces into the ground.

After beating the Chimera, Sonic and his party find that the Chimera was the guardian to a massive Power Ring with a jewel embedded in the middle. This is the Grand Ring, source of all rings on Mobius. Tails finds a mural that explains that there were 6 smaller versions of the jewel placed in alters around the grand ring. When this happens, a little bit of the jewel's power will be replenished. But the jewel is now a dull green that is turning grey. Tails attaches an analyzer to copy its energy signature, and the first ring is actually back on Angel Island. It's going to take all 3 of them to find the Rings and bring them back to this altar. The 3 depart not knowing that they were being watched.

Level 4: Wing Fortress Zone

After making their way out of the Wood zone, our heroes pinpoint the first ring: The Jade Gully on South Island. But as the three begin to depart, they get reports of Robotnitk's Wing Fortress dropping a new shipment of badniks on the island. Knowing this, Sonic and Tails head off on the Tornado to take on the flying fortress. Act 1 is just a recreation of Adventure's Sky Chase Levels without the lock on homing missiles. Act 2 takes place on the deck and plays in a mix of both Egg Fleet and Sky Deck. The Final Act is a 2d level similar to otl's Sky Fortress. The Boss for this level is the Egg Wyvern, a robot dragon that will keep you jumping from ship to ship as it shoots fire from its mouth, dive bombs through whatever part of the ship your standing on , and can grab you with its talons for an instant kill . You'll play through both Sonic and Tiara as they strike each of the energy antennas on its body. One on its head, two on its back, and its tail spike. After the final hit, the wyvern will attempt one dive bomb on whoever lands the final blow. While their fighting, Tails lands the Wing Fortress off the west coast. Knowing now that Robotnitk is still at large, our heroes depart for South Island knowing that they might be taking on another robot horde.​

Alrighty! I think I've let sit on this TL for too long, time for some catch-up. Now, it's been a while and my memory isn't the best, so I'm gonna start off with trying to address stuff I haven't put anything definitive on. If you guys got anything I haven't given a full answer to about this TL, lemme know. For now, here's some stuff I can remember.

Marvel Buys Capcom and Sony buys Atari

These are simple, following the success of X-Men: Children of the Atom and Marvel Super Heroes, plus having a small injection of cash from the Street Fighter movie, Capcom announces their purchase of Marvel Comics, getting the rights to use several of their IPs and making deals with Sony and Universal to use Hulk and X-Men characters for later games. The comics will continue as normal and the characters will mainly be used for future fighting games such as X-Men 2: Days of Future Past, the Marvel vs. Capcom series and Marvel Super Heroes 2. Sony's purchase of Atari is to complete the trifecta of partnerships that was started with Nintendo-Philips and Sega-NEC. Sony also intends to use Atari mainly for hardware.

Madonna as Captain Syrup?

Sadly, no. Believe me, I would love to have Madonna in Mario Bros. 3 as Captain Syrup opposite Danny Devito's Wario, but this was also the year Evita came out so I can see her passing on the sillier video game movie for the more serious historical drama musical. As for the other suggested name for the leader of the Brown Sugar Pirates, Amy Jo Johnson, I'm gonna nix that because I wanna have Wario and Syrup have UST and someone closer in age to Devito would help.

Snatcher/Policenauts on SNES-CD?

I feel like both would be rejected on content grounds, unless Nintendo is more willing to brave the storm of controversy with the SNES-CD. In which case, both would make their arrival on the SNES-CD (Snatcher in '94 and Policenauts in '96)

River City Renegades

Shin Nekketsu Kōha: Kunio-tachi no Banka will be making its way to the SNES-CD under the name River City Renegades. The game, being a prequel to River City Ransom, will feature Alex and Ryan, along with their girlfriends Michelle and Kiki (Misako and Kyoko in the original) along with that, Hiroshi is renamed to Simon in an effort to tie it in to Ransom's storyline. The game would do solid for a late-cycle SNES-CD release with Alex, Ryan and Simon joining later KoF games as Team River City with Michelle, Kiki and Roxy later being added as the River City Girls.

Last edited:

These are simple, following the success of X-Men: Children of the Atom and Marvel Super Heroes, plus having a small injection of cash from the Street Fighter movie, Capcom announces their purchase of Marvel Comics, getting the rights to use several of their IPs and making deals with Sony and Universal to use Hulk and X-Men characters for later games. The comics will continue as normal and the characters will mainly be used for future fighting games such as X-Men 2: Days of Future Past, the Marvel vs. Capcom series and Marvel Super Heroes 2. Sony's purchase of Atari is to complete the trifecta of partnerships that was started with Nintendo-Philips and Sega-NEC. Sony also intends to use Atari mainly for hardware.

With this confirmation, now I can put this idea out: ANybody wanna see either the Clover boys make a Spider-Man game?

Snatcher/Policenauts on SNES-CD?

I feel like both would be rejected on content grounds, unless Nintendo is more willing to brave the storm of controversy with the SNES-CD. In which case, both would make their arrival on the SNES-CD (Snatcher in '94 and Policenauts in '96)
ERSB already exist, meaning both games can happen already, post ERSB Nintendo was more willingly to leave ERSB rate some games without input, plus both as visual novels are less controversial when the destruction in 3D was the debate.

Shin Nekketsu Kōha: Kunio-tachi no Banka will be making its way to the SNES-CD under the name River City Renegades. The game, being a prequel to River City Ransom, will feature Alex and Ryan, along with their girlfriends Michelle and Kiki (Misako and Kyoko in the original) along with that, Hiroshi is renamed to Simon in an effort to tie it in to Ransom's storyline. The game would do solid for a late-cycle SNES-CD release with Alex, Ryan and Simon joining later KoF games as Team River City with Michelle, Kiki and Roxy later being added as the River City Girls.
Amazing i love this idea, SNK buyting technos was simple perfect