OTL Election maps resources thread

Template for Weimar-era Prussian state (Landtag) elections. The top shows the full seat distribution in every constituency, and the bottom shows the party winning a plurality in each constituency. I have complete maps for every free and fair Weimar-era Prussian election (1919, 1921, 1924, 1928, and 1932) on corresponding Wikipedia pages for them (hopefully they don't get deleted!) Due to the way the Weimar electoral system worked, there was no set number of seats for any constituency, so they varied from election to election, sometimes by a lot. This template uses the numbers from the 1932 election.
Absolutely beautiful.

I took the liberty of adding links back and forth between these and the "Elections in the Free State of Prussia" page - if I knew how, I'd also have set up a template box for Prussian elections in line with the ones the modern German states have.

Maps for both the presidential and legislative elections held in Uruguay this past month.
Map of 2019 Uruguayan general election (Legislative).png

Map of 2019 Uruguayan general election (Presidential).png

1938.png

The Delaware State House election of 1938, the start of a Republican winning streak that would last through 1952.

Republicans: 21 seats, 57.15% among 34 candidates
Democrats: 14 seats, 41.16% among 33 candidates
Independent Republicans: 1.33% among 10 candidates
Prohibitionists: .21% among 8 candidates
National Pensioneers: .15% among 8 candidates

unknown.png

The results, by district, taken from various newspapers.

Some more Dutch electoral maps.

The People's Party for Freedom and Democracy (VVD), h ad fairly even results throughout the country. The party's strongholds appear to be in the suburban areas of the country's large cities, in cities like Wassenaar, the wealthiest municipality to this day in the Netherlands, next to The Hague. The areas where it got the least percentage of votes were rural Limburg, in North Limburg.

XutnKo8.png

These are the results of the Anti-Revolutionary Party (ARP), the largest of the two Christian democratic protestant parties, the other being the CHU. In 1967, the party obtained 9.9% of the vote and 15 seats (out of 150). By the 1960s, the ARP was the more socially liberal of the two Calvinist parties. By the late 60s and early 70s, the younger generations of the ARP were marked by a preference for governing with SDAP rather than the other confessional parties, for instance.

The ARP was the party of one of the two main Calvinist churches in the Netherlands at the time, "Reformed Churches in the Netherlands", from the 1892 merger of two churches that had split from the main church - the Dutch Reformed Church. Coincidentally, it was also the church that would give birth to the SGP Calvinist theocrats, although the would-be SGP members split off in 1918.

Its voter base was primarily concentrated in the northern provinces of Frisia and Groningen, as well as in Zeeland and to a lesser degree in the areas North Brabant that were a part of Holland during the Dutch Republic.

GTArvF2.png

As suggested elsewhere, here's individual candidate maps.

Note: the aliens at the NYT aren't bad, but the Grauniad's result page is much better, props to them.

Another note: I dub Adair County the weirdest in Iowa. Must be the result of the caucus system and no-hoper candidates having good speakers there. 18% for Gabbard (I think the only votes she got anywhere) and 10% for Steyer!

It might be helpful to specify these are SDE maps, since the first and final allocation maps look different by county.

Also, there were a number of tabulation errors (are probably still are) - but if you look at Adair County now, Gabbard got 0% on all three counts. Steyer got 3.5, 3.1, and 4.0% (for first allocation, initial allocation, and SDE respectively).

Yang did do decently above average in Adair, though.

Thande

Donor
It might be helpful to specify these are SDE maps, since the first and final allocation maps look different by county.

Also, there were a number of tabulation errors (are probably still are) - but if you look at Adair County now, Gabbard got 0% on all three counts. Steyer got 3.5, 3.1, and 4.0% (for first allocation, initial allocation, and SDE respectively).

Yang did do decently above average in Adair, though.
Thanks for clarifying that - I'm certainly not taking time to redo these, but it's worth knowing. Also it was pointed out on the twitters that I was quoting SDE figures on the second map, so I've clarified that in a follow-up.

Bring on New Hampshire, where their citizen advice website may sound like a terrorist group and their legislature may be a punchline, but at least they understand how numbers work.

Now that all the town results have been posted on NYT, here's my map. Didn't bother making separate color bars for Bloomberg in Dixville Notch or Warren (tied with Bernie) in Monroe.

NH 2020 Democratic Presidential Primary.png

@Thande I'm also making a margin map, but based off of how many raw votes each candidate won the town by. To show population/where each candidate got substantially more votes compared to everyone else.

Thande

Donor
@Thande I'm also making a margin map, but based off of how many raw votes each candidate won the town by. To show population/where each candidate got substantially more votes compared to everyone else.
Hmm, that's an interesting idea, looking forward to seeing that.

Hmm, that's an interesting idea, looking forward to seeing that.

Here are both maps, side-by-side. I think the raw vote map does a better job of showing how many votes each candidate gained over the others, as well as better representing population.

NH 2020 Democratic Presidential Primary.png
NH 2020 Dem Pres Primary Raw Vote.png

Thande

Donor
Here are both maps, side-by-side. I think the raw vote map does a better job of showing how many votes each candidate gained over the others, as well as better representing population.

View attachment 523652View attachment 523651
Raw vote is definitely a good idea for something like a US state where the subdivisions don't have anything like equal electorates. I've considered myself how to do that in the past, but ended up just doing a population map alongside the usual maps. The only disadvantage to your method is you'll have to recalibrate your scale with each state's wildly different population/distribution, so it'd be hard to do a map covering more than one state at once.

Raw vote is definitely a good idea for something like a US state where the subdivisions don't have anything like equal electorates. I've considered myself how to do that in the past, but ended up just doing a population map alongside the usual maps. The only disadvantage to your method is you'll have to recalibrate your scale with each state's wildly different population/distribution, so it'd be hard to do a map covering more than one state at once.
Yeah, would be tough to see a comparison among different states. But I like this method and will probably use it for the other primaries, even if I have to change the scale.