Sports What Ifs.

What if.....

The Steelers Drafted Dan Marino 1st round in 1983? Most of the team's front office wanted to do this (Art and Dan Rooney included) but Chuck Noll and a few others overruled them and ended up picking John Reinstra instead.

The Tuck Rule was ruled as a fumble and not an incompletion in 2002?

The Browns never moved to Baltimore after the 1995 season and kept Bill Belichick as their coach??

Gabe Rivera.

Noll said Bradshaw has 4-5 years left and Malone and Woodley were both capable successors.

Oops.

WI the Dolphins drafted Joe Montana? Yeah, he'd probably sit his first season or two out, but this butterflies away them drafting Dan Marino...

Or, WI the Houston Oilers drafted Dan Marino?

I don't know if it's been discussed any before, but what if Colts decide to see how much of a steal they can get for their first round draft pick? They figure out why won't sign but that they can get a real steel and that there are plenty of other good quarterbacks in the draft in this scenario which is true.
The Rams were pretty much set on Eric Dickerson I think, and the Raiders Of course already had Jim Plunkett and then Mark Wilson waiting in the wings. But they could certainly use those teams against each other. Seattle would have surely taken Elway had they traded for the pic, and of course Denver would have and they wouldn't have had to give up quite as much since in the scenario Baltimore wouldn't be trading down as far.

And, could Marino have been good enough to keep them in Baltimore? If he gets them four more wins Dash which is just possible day and one is against Miami, and Miami loses a couple more games, Baltimore wins the Division. They would probably lose in the AFC title game to the Raiders but that might get them enough momentum to get a new stadium.

I don't know if it's been discussed any before, but what if Colts decide to see how much of a steal they can get for their first round draft pick?
Depend the Haul, but seems colts were eyeing a trade with raiders(for pluckett+picks) and bufallo before they just took elway and the whole mess started

And, could Marino have been good enough to keep them in Baltimore? If he gets them four more wins Dash which is just possible day and one is against Miami, and Miami loses a couple more games, Baltimore wins the Division. They would probably lose in the AFC title game to the Raiders but that might get them enough momentum to get a new stadium.
Nah The Irsay were already on their illegal shit, the only way to keep them is some player(let's say marino) rat them out to the city, intercept them and emminent domain them

The Steelers Drafted Dan Marino 1st round in 1983? Most of the team's front office wanted to do this (Art and Dan Rooney included) but Chuck Noll and a few others overruled them and ended up picking Gabe Rivera instead.

I am on the message board of this Steeler fan site (where he shows old games), and they had a thread about this:

http://s675307413.onlinehome.us/showthread.php?tid=152

On that thread, I found this post:

Quote from Crash "Art Jr. always tries to blame Noll.

Marino worked out for Noll, and Noll wanted him.

ART JR. was the one who said they had Bradshaw for at least three more years.

This was in Inside Sports ONE YEAR, after the draft."Quote

I guess that the blame was passed, since nobody wants to be the person who didn't draft Marino.

I am on the message board of this Steeler fan site (where he shows old games), and they had a thread about this:

http://s675307413.onlinehome.us/showthread.php?tid=152

On that thread, I found this post:

Quote from Crash "Art Jr. always tries to blame Noll.

Marino worked out for Noll, and Noll wanted him.

ART JR. was the one who said they had Bradshaw for at least three more years.

This was in Inside Sports ONE YEAR, after the draft."Quote

I guess that the blame was passed, since nobody wants to be the person who didn't draft Marino.
So the steelers didn't wanted him but worked him anyway, so yeah they never wanted him and regreted it

After Cleveland got its team back in 1999, the NFL practically begged an LA group or owner to get an expansion team to Los Angeles. No bid worked out, and the 32nd franchise fell to Houston and became the Texans.

What if someone brought a team to LA for the 2002 expansion? Would they get a bland team name like the Stars or something cool? Would they just be slotted into the NFC West, with the Seahawks staying in the AFC and the Chiefs getting shoved into the South? Could the new LA team compete or would it be an also-ran forever and all but forgotten in LA?

What about the Rams and Chargers, who moved to LA OTL? And would a team move to Houston, perhaps the Saints post-Katrina?

What about the Rams and Chargers, who moved to LA OTL? And would a team move to Houston, perhaps the Saints post-Katrina?
Nah Saints were never to move, if anything, Kroenke move the team to Houston to a late build Reliant/NRG, and Spanos will do something stupid

Maybe the cardinals move to Houston/LA? we were very close not to get Cardinals Stadium in glendale in 2000, some butterflies would make move just in time the larry-warner era

Nah Saints were never to move, if anything, Kroenke move the team to Houston to a late build Reliant/NRG, and Spanos will do something stupid

Maybe the cardinals move to Houston/LA? we were very close not to get Cardinals Stadium in glendale in 2000, some butterflies would make move just in time the larry-warner era

Kroenke heading to Houston is a distinct possibility if the Saints stay in NOLA (which maaaaaaaybe would have happened, though it’s a strong possibility that the Saints playing in Houston instead of Baton Rouge or San Antonio would have fired up the local fans to get a team.) If the Cards got their stadium in 2000, they probably stick around.

Outside shot - the owners decide to grant Houston an expansion team anyway, making the league 33 teams. That won’t stand - what City gets number 34?

Portland, already a big metro area and just have the trailblazers. Other could be a team in Canada too...

Portland is a possible natural rival for the Seahawks and both NoCal teams. If the Seahawks stay in the AFC, Portland could be wedged right between the Seahawks and Raiders in the AFC West, possibly creating a 3-way rivalry (Davis may still fuck it up by moving the team anyway but that’s neither here nor there.) For that matter, any Houston expansion team goes to the AFC, so Portland may have to go NFC and be a rival to the 49ers.

Portland is a possible natural rival for the Seahawks and both NoCal teams. If the Seahawks stay in the AFC, Portland could be wedged right between the Seahawks and Raiders in the AFC West, possibly creating a 3-way rivalry (Davis may still fuck it up by moving the team anyway but that’s neither here nor there.) For that matter, any Houston expansion team goes to the AFC, so Portland may have to go NFC and be a rival to the 49ers.
We will see realigment later on, still that is the most natural city.

Here’s an outside shot for you.

Former Ohio State QB, and short-lived NFL hack, Art Schlichter got started with gambling, the vice that ruined his life, in high school when he and some friends went to a racetrack outside Columbus, Ohio and bet on a horse. Their horse won, and Schlichter was a regular at the track in college and eventually got himself incarcerated multiple times for stealing from others to gamble.

Now let’s say his horse had lost and Schlichter decided gambling was lame and never took it up. He sees it as, in the words of my brother, “flushing money down the toilet.”

I have no illusions that he wouldn’t have another vice, and possibly one that kills him instead of getting him locked up (alcohol and drugs come to mind) or maybe one that allows a good playing career but brings him down later (women) or one that makes him a laughingstock (food.) Or maybe that Vice would be downplayed for him - or maybe it would be beatable.

Here’s an outside shot for you.

Former Ohio State QB, and short-lived NFL hack, Art Schlichter got started with gambling, the vice that ruined his life, in high school when he and some friends went to a racetrack outside Columbus, Ohio and bet on a horse. Their horse won, and Schlichter was a regular at the track in college and eventually got himself incarcerated multiple times for stealing from others to gamble.

Now let’s say his horse had lost and Schlichter decided gambling was lame and never took it up. He sees it as, in the words of my brother, “flushing money down the toilet.”

I have no illusions that he wouldn’t have another vice, and possibly one that kills him instead of getting him locked up (alcohol and drugs come to mind) or maybe one that allows a good playing career but brings him down later (women) or one that makes him a laughingstock (food.) Or maybe that Vice would be downplayed for him - or maybe it would be beatable.

Even if he didn't have another vice, I'm not sure that he was that great of a QB to begin with. The Colts drafted him too high. Maybe he has an OK career as a backup and part-time starter, but I don't think he was destined to be a star.

Even if he didn't have another vice, I'm not sure that he was that great of a QB to begin with. The Colts drafted him too high. Maybe he has an OK career as a backup and part-time starter, but I don't think he was destined to be a star.

He doesn’t have to be. He was drafted by the Colts in 1982, so all he has to do is be good enough for one year to make the Colts either draft lower than number one or pass on Elway. That or they demand more for Elway from a team like Denver than what they could get with their hand forced.

He doesn’t have to be. He was drafted by the Colts in 1982, so all he has to do is be good enough for one year to make the Colts either draft lower than number one or pass on Elway. That or they demand more for Elway from a team like Denver than what they could get with their hand forced.

OK. If he was just good enough that the Colts win two games, the Oilers get the #1 pick, and get Elway. Then, Ernie Accorsi drafts Marino, more than likely.

OK. If he was just good enough that the Colts win two games, the Oilers get the #1 pick, and get Elway. Then, Ernie Accorsi drafts Marino, more than likely.

I don’t see a reason Elway would have objected to going to Houston. And even if Marino wasn’t a big fan of being a Colt, he didn’t have the same leverage Elway had - Elway threatened time play baseball instead. Marino couldn’t do that.

I don’t see a reason Elway would have objected to going to Houston. And even if Marino wasn’t a big fan of being a Colt, he didn’t have the same leverage Elway had - Elway threatened time play baseball instead. Marino couldn’t do that.
Elway would love Houston, near Cal than baltimore and not the shitshow the colts were, or maybe al davis pull the trade for him as he wanted?

Marino Would love Colts too, he wanted to be #1 but failed

I was watching the NFL on NBC pregame from October 6, 1996:

When watching, I found out something very interesting: The Falcons and Seahawks were talking about trading Jeff George to Seattle for Rick Mirer.

Also, the 49ers wanted Mirer bad in the 1993 draft. They offered NE Steve Young for the #1 pick, and they balked. Then, they offered their whole draft to the Pats for the pick, and they balked again.