Status
Not open for further replies.

SpudNutimus

Banned
Some alternate African flags I designed for my timeline, Boll Weevil Blues. The lore is too long to get into, but the relevant part is that there's no Congo Free State, so European colonialism, while still present, for the most part sticks to the coastlines instead of carving up the interior in a chaotic scramble. Over the course of the mid to late 20th century, railroads are built through much of Africa with European support, and many of the native kingdoms solidify into semi-Westphalian states. As these states solidify, they also realize that they need flags in order to interact and trade with the European powers, and so they're adopted across the continent, with varying degrees of quality. Here are a few that I've made so far.

Kaabu Empire: Kaabu was historically the last remaining military province to hold out after the fall of the Mali Empire, and ITTL they survive to the present day thanks to Portuguese support. The flag has a gold square for the gold trade that made Mali rich and the sands of the Sahara, surrounded by red for the blood of the former Saharan slave trade, alongside a green square for the green land of Kaabu, surrounded by white for purity (and salt as part of the old gold trade).
kaabu.png

Tunisia: Sold to Italy by the Ottoman Empire in the late 1800s, Tunisia spent a good chunk of its history as an Italian colony before finally attaining independence in the 1970s. The old flag of the Beylik of Tunis was retained, but modified into a more traditional square shape.
tunisia.png

Algeria: A French colony for much of its history, Algeria became independent from French rule in the 1960s. However, ties are still strong, and as independence was attained peacefully, the old naval ensign of French Algiers was retained.
algeria.png

Morocco: Similar to OTL, however without colonial rule the old solid red ensign is retained for much longer, until finally in the 1920s a new, more distinct flag is designed, inspired by the flags of previous Moroccan dynasties.
morocco.png

Rio De Oro: A Spanish protectorate to the present day, this small settler colony consists of the coastline of what we would call Western Sahara. The flag is a Spanish ensign with a Moroccan star and crescent in the center.
rio_de_oro.png

Mauretania (yes it's supposed to be spelled like that): A former French colony, the nation of Mauretania retains strong ties to France today as part of the Francophone Bloc, and retains a red and blue stripe on the edges of its flag to commemorate their French heritage. With a green background representing Islam, this flag is centerpieced by a blue Hamsa, a traditional Berber talisman for warding off the Evil Eye.
mauretania.png

Egypt: After the Khedivate of Egypt became the independent Sultanate of Egypt in the 1870s due to a revolt, the new sultan sought to modify the old flag. With a red background representing the old Ottoman period and the blood shed for freedom, this flag has a black crescent for the Abassids, a white crescent for the Fatimids, and a green crescent for the modern sultanate and Islam.
egypt.png

Senegal: Yet another former French colony, this flag consists of five black and white vertical stripes to represent the five constituent states of the old Jolof Empire, as well as harmony between black Africans and white Europeans.
senegal.png

Ethiopia: One of the most powerful states in Africa due to its industrialization under Menelik II and position as a trading lynchpin in the Red Sea, Ethiopia retains the colors of its three traditional pennants in the form of a tricolor.
ethiopia.png

Gambia: A British colony until the Conflagration (this timeline's version of WW1), Gambia retains a modified Union Jack as its flag. With blue bars representing the Gambia River, trade, and the four cardinal directions, white bars for purity and the banks of the river, and green for the lush land around the nation, this flag is certainly unique.
gambia.png

Last edited:

SpudNutimus

Banned
I've seen you mention this ATL a few times recently, but I don't see a thread for it anywhere. Am I just blind?
There is no thread for it yet, I'm still organizing the lore into something presentable, as of now it only exists online as a few bits and pieces in flag and map threads.

Possible flag of Eastasia

4CE08CBC-72A7-4FD0-8B4A-CFB9768E5264.jpeg

5-pointed star for the five regions it claims as its ‘heartland’ - China, Korea, Japan, (most of) Mongolia, and Tibet, with the inner star representing five regions it hopes to permanently control (but never will) - India, Indochina, Afghanistan, the Philippines, and the islands of the Pacific

Bar down the middle behind the star to represent strength and security (can also represent a prison bar)

White dot in the middle to symbolize Eastasia’s global ambitions, the individual’s weakness against the might of the state, and the all-seeing eye of the government

Maybe all the red is a bit hard on the eyes

Last edited:
Warlord Era-flavored RWBY ship war flags. String of words that don't make sense at first, but bear with me.

JEOpEvN.png

"Black sun, yellow sky, and fresh, fertile earth -- with this hallowed banner we shall march from triumph to triumph, until the prophesied day unveils the Sun With Shadow!" -- Doctor-General Sun Wu-k'ung, during the Banner Replacement Announcement held in Shazi the night before the Great Northwards Expedition.

Peuv7x9.png

"My Esteemed Ladies, why still must we squabble among ourselves? Will disunity relieve our besieged sisters in Menagerie? Will indecision protect them and theirs from the ravenous hordes of the South?" Thousands have already fallen to their cruel raids, in hamlet and town alike -- will you let thousands more follow them in lieu of the petty vendettas which many claim we are wont to pursue? Or shall we prove them wrong?" -- The Xiongfeng Princess in her address to the Harmonious Conclave shortly after the Battle of Nangang, where the Army of Righteous Liberation has won its first major victory.

JRSQegI.png

"In their arrogance our forefathers were led to believe that this land is theirs and theirs alone. As the scribes can attest, the faithful had paid dearly for their hubris many times throughout our long memory. This ends today -- the Great Khan, The Most Stalwart Protector of Her Faithful, seeks terms of peace from the Noble Houses of Heijin." -- Patriarch Janah XIV, Holy Father of the Cult of the Lady Sable, acting as representative of the Sublime Court in the peace negotiations leading to the Southern Calm.​

I have no idea what RWBY is, but these flags are gorgeous, the descriptions and speeches really add to their personal characters, all the designs have been carfeully crafted and it shows .... also, this Princess Xiongfeng sounds like a real badass.

Thank. They're mostly in-jokes for certain relationships featured in a battle anime, specifically before one of them was made canon. Give the thing a watch if you want to know more.

I have no idea what RWBY is, but these flags are gorgeous, the descriptions and speeches really add to their personal characters, all the designs have been carfeully crafted and it shows .... also, this Princess Xiongfeng sounds like a real badass.

It's an anime-style CGI-animated show created by RoosterTeeth of Red vs. Blue fame. The show is about a team of four fairy-tale-inspired girls who fight against shadowy abominations of evil known as the Grimm. Here's where you can watch the show from the beginning. It's a good show and its characters and fight scenes are great fun.

ninel

Banned
Flag of Barlin, Barlin Province, Poland

kaQaIuw.png

The coat of arms on the flag dates already to the year 1948, and its design is based on the old city seal of Berlin (which is how the city was named until the Second World War). It was adopted probably just to be different to the pre-war coat of arms; its similarity to the coat of arms of Przemysł II probably also played a factor, even though the two CoAs are basically unrelated.

The flag itself was adopted only in 1987. Officially it’s just a “heraldic” design; unoficially, it is meant to be similar to the pre-war flag, but also noticeably different enough to ward off accusations of being “Germanic”.

(and just to give the credit: the image of the coat of arms was adapted from the CoA of Spandau on Wikipedia, which is public domain)

Warlord Era-flavored RWBY ship war flags. String of words that don't make sense at first, but bear with me.

Thank. They're mostly in-jokes for certain relationships featured in a battle anime, specifically before one of them was made canon. Give the thing a watch if you want to know more.

I'm a old RWBY fan, so I love this idea, so I wound't mind seeing more of these ship war flags in the style of the Warring/Warlord-Era.

Would anyone talk with precision?
Master: My soldiers, please make a new flag based on the 25 states of Canada (14 are in Canada and the rest in America)!
Soldiers: Yes master!
Soldiers:
United States of Canada.png

Master: Amazing!

This was like a actual tale.

Flag for the Duchy of Østersøen (Duchy of the Baltic Sea), which will (eventually) be a part of my alt-Switzerland timeline that I've posted from before, mainly comprising the disparate islands of the Baltic Sea with a scrap of the Swedish mainland.

7ruybA5.png

SpudNutimus

Banned
Hello I'm back, this time with significantly fewer flags. These ones are for India, specifically the Dominion of India and the Commonwealth of India. The lore is incredibly long and would take way too much time to put here, so I'll just leave you with the symbolism: a red and green bicolor, the colors of the Indian Home Union (this timeline's closest equivalent of the INC) and symbolic of harmony between Hinduism and Islam. The flag is centerpieced by the Star of India, a symbol of royal rule in India going back to the Raj. In 1986 it's replaced with an Indian lotus, symbolizing the Indian people and their struggle for freedom from the caste system. And before you say that these look to much like Portugal's flag, Portugal never adopts those colors in this timeline.
indiavintage-1.png

The Dominion of India and Commonwealth of India before 1986
india.png

The Commonwealth of India after 1986

Status
Not open for further replies.