Hail, Britannia

Korea (with a "K") is the standard English spelling, where as Corea (with a "C") was a variant spelling. Both where in use until the 20th century, when K beat out C, but ITTL the C spelling wins out
Edited my previous post. Changelog:
- Made the "/s" slightly larger

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
God do I love your alternate flag designs.

Does Star Wars exist ITTL?
Clearly, in this timeline, President Palpatine overthrew the Galactica Empire and replaced it with the dictatorial Galactica Republic.

Yes Star Wars exists but the storylines are slightly different. It's not fully fleshed out yet, but my thinking is a slightly more Asian-American fused idea of the Jedi - semi-nomadic monastic samurai esque figures, drawing on Samurai and even the Cossacks. Episode 1, 7 and 8 likely fully vastly different storylines.

The Galactic Republic of the Prequels is replaced by the Galactic Commonwealth - based on the British Commonwealth - with a ceremonial monarch over the Senate and Supreme Chancellor. Episode 3 sees a Sith coup that topples the government from within and wipes out the Jedi.

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Edited my previous post. Changelog:
- Made the "/s" slightly larger

Me, an idiot, apologises for not getting your sarcasm and humour...

giphy.gif

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Why does this give me Nobusuke Kishi vibes.

Indeed, there is a definite parallel there. Soong's tenure as head of government during the first presidency of Sun Li-jen was controversial given his role in the Kuomintang government and his dominance of the government despite the semi-presidential system in China. Unlike TTL Texas or OTL France, the powers of the head of state and head of government of China are clearly defined by the constitution, regardless of the political affiliation of either officeholder. It was felt Soong overstepped his authority. Despite this he was effectively the power behind the Chinese National Association for Progress and Development from the 1950s to his death in 1971, and is one of the founding figures of the party's ideology.

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
So I'm still not quite happy with my Chinese flag design so here's attempt #3 (plus a new European Union flag). Any comments are much appreciated.

Federal Republic of China
GdZyKSa.png

European Union
sarjcEB.png

I think its more prudent for the flag to just have a set number of stars and call it a day. It would be really annoying to constantly have to change the flag every time a new member nation joined the Union.

Maybe distribute them across the diamond more, with different patterns/designs as states join like the OTL USA flag.

Speaking of the EU is there any tension between the governing bodies of France and the EU due to being both dependent and in opposition to each other? (The UN Security Council seats situation for example)

The EU needs France far more in this timeline than the OTL EU, as there aren't really any other big players to fund or support with it (the UK or Germany), whereas France needs EU in a similar vain as it did in the early parts of the OTL EEC/EU development.

However, as the EU gets political stronger and more developed it has begun to over take France with France being an extension of the EU rather than the EU being an extension of France.

Yeah I definitively under-estimated the amount of member states...

The EU needs France far more in this timeline than the OTL EU, as there aren't really any other big players to fund or support with it (the UK or Germany), whereas France needs EU in a similar vain as it did in the early parts of the OTL EEC/EU development.

However, as the EU gets political stronger and more developed it has begun to over take France with France being an extension of the EU rather than the EU being an extension of France.
There have been talks for Emmanuel Macron to directly be president of the EU as soon as he enters politics, this might seem to contextualize it well!

So I'm still not quite happy with my Chinese flag design so here's attempt #3 (plus a new European Union flag). Any comments are much appreciated.

Federal Republic of China
GdZyKSa.png

European Union
sarjcEB.png

Both Chinese flags are quite good (this and previously), but the EU one I believe that the star-crown was too expanded inside the rhombus (that also I believe that could be bigger inside the flag).

BTW, I've made some anotations for the Italian and Spanish countries soccer leagues (that later could be used to base the soccer in HB-verse, I guess - and if I'm authorized to collaborate on that too, @LeinadB93 ).

Franco-Patagonians

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Been on a bit of an ethnic infobox binge at the moment. Something a little bit different:

rd293tC.png

3r2E6Mu.png
Franco-Patagonians (French: Franco-Patagoniens; Welsh: Ffrangeg-Batagoniaid; Spanish: Franco-patagónico), also known as French Patagonians, are Patagonian citizens of full or partial French ancestry, persons born in France who reside in Patagonia, or French-speaking residents of Patagonia. Franco-Patagonians form one of the largest ancestry groups after Celtic Patagonians, Spanish Patagonians, and Anglo-Patagonians, and at the 2015 census it was estimated that around 650 thousand Patagonians had some degree of French ancestry. French immigration has left a signifcant mark on Patagonia, with a notable influence on the arts, culture, science, architecture and society of the country. Notable Franco-Patagonians include: Antoine Tounens, 1st Duke of Araucania[1]; Sir Charles Bouquet[2]; and Louis Vernet[3].

During the 19th century, most French immigrants to the New World settled in British America and in Patagonia, then a British colony. The modern Franco-Patagonian population trace their descent from these early settlers, who resided predominantly in communities along the Camwy River[4] and the Patagonian Pampas, before spreading inland throughout the Comahue[5] region where a distinctive Francophone community survives to this day. Early French immigrants came primarily from continental France, but later waves of settlers with French background came from neighbouring countries, notably Argentina, Brazil and North America. Due to the high degree of assimilation, Patagonians of French descent are less visible than other ethnic groups, and while they are found throughout the country, they are most numerous in Camwy River valley and the Comahue region.

[1] - OTL Orélie-Antoine de Tounens. He played an important role in bringing the Patagonian Mapuche under the authority of the Crown. Rewarded with the "Dukedom of Araucania" in 1878 for his services, one of only a dozen titles in the Peerage of Patagonia, he later served as the President of the Senate from the creation of Patagonia in 1895 to his death in 1902. His descendants continue to hold the title and reside in Nouenken (OTL Neuquen).
[2] - OTL Carlos Bouquet Roldan. Franco-Patagonian soldier, politician and member of the Patagonian General Assembly and Minister of External Affairs under Sir Thomas Benbow Phillips and Sir Owen Bevan.
[3] - OTL Luis Vernet. Led the French settlement of Comahue and founded the city of Vernet (OTL Zapala)
[4] - OTL Chubut River.
[5] - A region in northern Patagonia, that broadly covers OTL Neuquen and Rio Negro provinces.

Last edited:

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
I think its more prudent for the flag to just have a set number of stars and call it a day. It would be really annoying to constantly have to change the flag every time a new member nation joined the Union.
*The_United_States has entered the chat*
Maybe distribute them across the diamond more, with different patterns/designs as states join like the OTL USA flag.
Yeah I definitively under-estimated the amount of member states...
Both Chinese flags are quite good (this and previously), but the EU one I believe that the star-crown was too expanded inside the rhombus (that also I believe that could be bigger inside the flag).

I think the second Chinese design is the one I'm going to use.

I do quite like the aesthetic of the flag including a star for each member state :) (all 38 of them!)

I think I'll have a play around with the design, spread the stars out a bit and see how it looks.

Speaking of the EU is there any tension between the governing bodies of France and the EU due to being both dependent and in opposition to each other? (The UN Security Council seats situation for example)

Yes there are definite tensions between the French and European political establishments. The EU definitely needed France a lot more in it's early history, and in many ways the EU acted as extension of France in foreign and economic policy. France is the first amongst equals within the EU, given the fact that it's a major economy and global power.

Generally successive French governments have generally been in favour of increased European integration, mainly because it was to the benefit of France and strengthened French influence globally - allowing it to remain on a par with Britain, the Soviets and Japan. France was consistenly in a leadership position within the European Union. However, the passage of the European Consitution has seen a shift in power to the supranational institutions away from the national governments. The introduction of a directly-elected Union President and Vice-President has given the EU greater democratic legitimacy.

Whilst France is still the "leading power" in the EU, it's influence is declining as more member states join and the supranational government strengthens its powers. Matters haven't come to a head yet, but the right-wing is now the fourth party in the French legislature, and is Eurosceptic and pro-Frexit.

BTW, I've made some anotations for the Italian and Spanish countries soccer leagues (that later could be used to base the soccer in HB-verse, I guess - and if I'm authorized to collaborate on that too, @LeinadB93 ).

I'd be interested to see that :) Although my knowledge of football is minimal!

Whilst France is still the "leading power" in the EU, it's influence is declining as more member states join and the supranational government strengthens its powers. Matters haven't come to a head yet, but the right-wing is now the fourth party in the French legislature, and is Eurosceptic and pro-Frexit.
Please do that at some point as that will send shockwaves across the EU.