Les Années Douces, a very different XXth century

IV : The Algerian Republic
Here's this week's newspaper. The topic is the Algerian Republic

GDuwEYg.png

Thanks for the explaination

Well, Schneiderman would tell you that between saving the economy and saving America she has a clear preference, which matches with the American situation in 1942. So yeah, treat yourself America, treat yourself

V : The Indochinese Confederation
This week's journal, maybe I'll do a specific article about each of the member states sometimes in the future, but for now I'm focusing on completing the Chancellerie members and the highly related topics (like French India) for the weekly article

upload_2019-11-30_10-14-54.png

Deleted member 107125

This week's journal, maybe I'll do a specific article about each of the member states sometimes in the future, but for now I'm focusing on completing the Chancellerie members and the highly related topics (like French India) for the weekly article

View attachment 505801
This system of government is highly interesting..
I like that you're focusing on stuff like technology and trade which most authors neglect

This system of government is highly interesting..
I like that you're focusing on stuff like technology and trade which most authors neglect

I designed it with the intent to show a core element of the Chancellerie : it's not finished. It's actually a recurring theme : in Dahomey the democratic process is not finished, in French India the goals to pursue are far from defined, in Indochina there is a transitory union because the development is not finished...

I focus on industry technology and trade because it's the part of politics and history that interests me, so I'm glad that it interests you too ^^

VI : The Cooperative of Niger
This week's journal !

(I was inspired by Kaiserreich's Aspiration Society in Indochina, but tried to include more Nigerian elements and problematics. I hope I did a good job, but I might modify elements, especially if you guys have any suggestions !)

upload_2019-12-7_23-57-40.png

VII : The Equatorial Federation
This week's topic is the Equatorial Federation. I haven't been able to produce something satisfying this week, so it's a stock I made quite a while ago ... I hope you still appreciate it ! ^^

upload_2019-12-15_12-56-46.png

Deleted member 107125

What is French internal politics like? Are the SFIO in power?

What is French internal politics like? Are the SFIO in power?

The SFIO arrived in power sooner than OTL, however it was humiliated by it's incapacity to deal with the colonial crisis (as most of its members at the time were colonialists). France is still led by the Réformistes, an intelligentsia-based left party that came up with the idea of the Chancellerie in the first place. For instance, the head of the Party, Eugène Grindel, is in fact famous author Paul Eluard. Today the main problem the government faces is the Prime Minister's reluctancy to apply the electoral promises as she thinks it would create a rift in French society, earning her the nickname of Prime Sinister by her opponents in the party.

Deleted member 107125

The SFIO arrived in power sooner than OTL, however it was humiliated by it's incapacity to deal with the colonial crisis (as most of its members at the time were colonialists). France is still led by the Réformistes, an intelligentsia-based left party that came up with the idea of the Chancellerie in the first place. For instance, the head of the Party, Eugène Grindel, is in fact famous author Paul Eluard. Today the main problem the government faces is the Prime Minister's reluctancy to apply the electoral promises as she thinks it would create a rift in French society, earning her the nickname of Prime Sinister by her opponents in the party.
Wasn’t Eluard a Communist IOTL?

Wasn’t Eluard a Communist IOTL?

He was OTL, however many Communist supporters were actually isolated from the Communist Party, as being even slightly out of line would get you expelled from the Party (see the exemple of Sartre who didn't believe in social determinism, and was thus vomitted upon by the marxists of the PCF). Many intellectuals were supporting the PCF because it supported the end of colonialism, or give the people a fair start with equal chances, more than 100% adherence to the Communist doctrine.

VIII : The Union of Madagascar
Today is about Madagascar. I'll try to keep up during the holidays, but I'm soon going to run out of stock articles and my admission stuff for college is due soon, so I can't promise anything ...

upload_2019-12-22_15-39-35.png

Last edited:
Ah! The imerina descended monarch is a president, how interesting.

Are there people in Mayotte who want to leave France and join Madagascar? Particularly the Malagasy mahorais.

How is french influence on a country so far and with a stronger historical basis like Madagascar?

Across the sea there is Mozambique, which is apparently a dominion kingdom of Portugal, did Portugal stay/become again a monarchy? And what are the monarchs of Angola and Mozambique, just the Portuguese one, some random notable mixed race familly, or based on actual historical local monarchies?

Awesome timeline as always, i’d Love to learn about Senegambia or French Oceania.

Ah! The imerina descended monarch is a president, how interesting.

Are there people in Mayotte who want to leave France and join Madagascar? Particularly the Malagasy mahorais.

How is french influence on a country so far and with a stronger historical basis like Madagascar?

Across the sea there is Mozambique, which is apparently a dominion kingdom of Portugal, did Portugal stay/become again a monarchy? And what are the monarchs of Angola and Mozambique, just the Portuguese one, some random notable mixed race familly, or based on actual historical local monarchies?

Awesome timeline as always, i’d Love to learn about Senegambia or French Oceania.

Thank you very much ! ^^ I was actually planning on doing Senegambia if I can find the time and motivation, so it'll probably be the next post

The people of Mayotte are carefully watching the Comorro status referendum. Women are afraid of losing their rights if they join an autonomous Comorro province, so they make up a good chunk of the pro-French side, but if the Comorros vote against autonomy some believe it could tip the scale. The préfet of Mayotte has been able to keep the situation under control and to avoid too much political toxicity, but the question is pretty tense.... most people are afraid that their politicians wouldn't join Madagascar the way they want to join it, so for now a referendum is out of the question.

If we're talking about direct political influence, there's little to none in most cases (apart from the Saharian Protectorate, but it's mostly it's own thing, more than an usual Chancellerie member). However, the ties are strong in other ways : many teachers are of French or mixed origins, especially in higher education, French products and companies are present in most other Chancellerie countries, as it has the strongest industrial base, and the lingua franca is French, as it is spoken by the elites. The situation is the same, but more pronounced, with countries of long French "tradition" such as Madagascar, Mayotte or the Antilles.

I'm not completely sure about Portugal yet. I only know the monarchy has been restaured, after squabbling among the Republicans and possibly a Spanish intervention, and that I want a queen for Angola for some propaganda poster I plan to hand draw. I think I'll have the three kingdoms have different monarchs of the Braganza family, possibly maried to Catholic local rulers/princes. Also the Brazilian monarchy is back in the game and I'd like to get some cool stuff/drama out of it.

I'm also still undecided on Oceania : I can't decide if I want Polynesia or Vanuatu-New Caledonia to be a country.

Question Time:
How are the Armed Forces run? Is it one national force or are there local militia/defense forces. How is law enforcement handled? Is there a national police force/investigation service like the FBI/MI5?

Also, good luck on your College Admission.

Question Time:
How are the Armed Forces run? Is it one national force or are there local militia/defense forces. How is law enforcement handled? Is there a national police force/investigation service like the FBI/MI5?

Also, good luck on your College Admission.

The Chancellerie is planned to have a Common Army, but every country is allowed to have an independent army. However, for now, the French Army is filling both the roles of Army for the Chancellerie and Garde Nationale for France. The Légion Etrangère regiments are in charge of the formation of armies for the different states of the Chancellerie how want to set an army, and is expected to join the Chancellerie entirely. There is an integrated command for the Chancellerie, but it has never been necessary until now. This makes the Chancellerie very vulnerable as its armed forces are being reorganized or trained. There is also a rule that any state who wants a national Navy must ask permission to the Council before. The first country to set up an Army is Federation of Senegambia, to deal with the illegal hunting of rare species (which, yes, is as violent as it sounds).

The Chancellerie has very few laws, it is closer to the Commonwealth than to the US in this regard, at least for now, and most of them are more standards and less about criminal rights (driving on the right side of the road, indicating the region and country of origin for every product, some substances like radioactive minerals are forbidden, ...) but apart from these economic standards the Chancellerie has three main rules that, if breached, allows for any other country of the Chancellerie to invade the offender : freedom of speech, freedom of faith, no political violence.

When it comes to intermember banditry, there is the Gendarmerie of the Chancellerie. National law enforcers are commanded to cooperate, and if a criminal gets caught, he will be judged in every state is has committed a crime, starting by the worst crimes. Said "worst" crimes will be decided by the Gendarmerie's officer in charge of the enquiry.

For intelligence services, the French intelligence service was converted into a Chancellerie department, and it is forbidden for members to create their own.

Thank you ^^