Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been playing a lot of New Vegas lately.
falloutmichigna.png

War. War never changes.
It didn't matter where or who you were, once the bombs fell, all that mattered was that life as anybody knew could no longer carry on. As such the people fled, escaping to great underground vaults, awaiting the day in which they could emerge and reclaim the land which lied above them.

Within the shattered remains of Lansing, the inhabitants of Vault 71 would emerge, bringing with them the militant lifestyle instilled into them for over 200 years by their former homes experiments. Dedicated to seeking out order and new land to call they're home, the people of this vault would expand outward, eventually encompassing large swaths of the former state who's name they would soon claim for themselves. This rapid expansion would see various Ghouls and Mutants forced to flee north, colonizing the northern tips of the peninsula. Those who called their former land home would soon come into conflict with a dangerous rival who would seek to do away with their lifestyle; the Midwestern Brotherhood.

The Brotherhood had at this time colonized large swathes of the western coast of Michigan, expanding east and eventually reaching the damaged but largely spared city of Grand Rapids, where they would stumble upon Vault 78 and its large cache of pre-war relics. This expansion would bring them into quick conflict with the Republic of Michigan, and when the dust cleared, neither side was able to retain its colonies in the western grasslands. But one thing of note did become known, there was a third Vault located within the former city of Detroit, a vault which if the reports were to be believed, contain a massive supply of old-world weaponry and technology.

With that, the race was on. Neither side could afford another war, but both knew that the domination of their newfound foe could be ensured by claiming this prize. Soon though, it became clear that this would be a task much more easily said then done. The city of Detroit was inhabited, but not by humans, but by robots. These machines were old and damaged, remembering only their directive left for them by their creator, Henry Walter Durant; protect the city which built itself on the development and mass production of robots, both military and civilian, by any means necessary. These machines would take these orders, and carry out three major actions to meet them; Expand beyond Detroit itself to ensure the cities borders, keep the city in as pristine of a condition as possible, and prevent any potentially dangerous forces from stepping foot within the city. As a result, the surviving human inhabitants of Detroit would flee south, rediscovering the city of Toledo, and eventually establishing the first true bastion of old world democracy in the lands west of the Mississippi.

You are a soldier for the Free City of Toledo, and what starts out as a simple quest to wipe out a gang of raiders who have been attacking border settlements will soon evolve into an adventure which will shape the future of the former state of Michigan.

Last edited:
1875_to_present.png

Delaware's hundreds. These subdivisions of counties, once having a variety of elected positions and serving as election districts, are now only used in real estate descriptions.

Anytime somebody complains about the Mountain West states having "the same amount of representation as California", remind them this glorified Philly suburb/tax shelter elects two Senators.

Anytime somebody complains about the Mountain West states having "the same amount of representation as California", remind them this glorified Philly suburb/tax shelter elects two Senators.

Well, it gets grandfathered in because of its participation in the American revolution: and in any event it's still got more people than five other states, including Alaska. It has at least as much right to exist as Vermont, America's strategic maple syrup reserve.

Well, it gets grandfathered in because of its participation in the American revolution: and in any event it's still got more people than five other states, including Alaska. It has at least as much right to exist as Vermont, America's strategic maple syrup reserve.
Vermont at least has the excuse of its isolated geography and its unique culture and history. Delaware's only claim to fame is that it was so terrified of its own irrelevance that it was the first to sign on to the new constitution.

Today on: Aqua rants about pet peeves instead of doing important things irl:

Nuclear warfare probably wouldn't leave massive, irradiated hellscapes. The bikini islands, on which 26 nukes were dropped, today had a radiation of 639 mrem. It'd suck, and cancer and defects and etc would be up, but it's not uninhabitable. Sure, there are things like dirty bombs and nuclear power plants that would make the radiation last longer but the average city, assuming it got hit by 4-7 nukes, will probably be inhabitable again in 10-20 years.

I'm just saying this cuz I've noticed tons of maps where a nuclear happens and half the world is just irradiated 200 years after the fact.

Also, great map @merkmuds , the color palette works well.

Aftermath of a first strike on a victorious Nazi Germany:

View attachment 509210

View attachment 509212
Odd to call it Vichy incursions. For Vichy to have gotten this far they presumably would have occupied much of northern France already, in which case they would be in Paris and would have likely just been called French on this map key. Otherwise the occupied areas they are seizing should probably be shown. Also, why destroy Copenhagen? Should we take it that Denmark was fully swallowed in this world by the Nazis? I would imagine at least Bornholm would be Danish or German instead of anarchy. The Germans annex Switzerland? I can't quite tell here. I do wonder what the Germans would have wanted with Bessarabia, though. Or Slovakia.

Odd to call it Vichy incursions. For Vichy to have gotten this far they presumably would have occupied much of northern France already, in which case they would be in Paris and would have likely just been called French on this map key. Otherwise the occupied areas they are seizing should probably be shown. Also, why destroy Copenhagen? Should we take it that Denmark was fully swallowed in this world by the Nazis? I would imagine at least Bornholm would be Danish or German instead of anarchy. The Germans annex Switzerland? I can't quite tell here. I do wonder what the Germans would have wanted with Bessarabia, though. Or Slovakia.
Ahh, I did not know that about Vichy France. Always thought Vichy France just meant an axis installed french government. Thanks for clearing that up.

Copenhagen was nuked as it was a sizeable port.

Bessarabia and Slovakia are errors on my part. Thanks for pointing that out. Bornholm is under Nazi control, just hard to see on the map.

Today on: Aqua rants about pet peeves instead of doing important things irl:

Nuclear warfare probably wouldn't leave massive, irradiated hellscapes. The bikini islands, on which 26 nukes were dropped, today had a radiation of 639 mrem. It'd suck, and cancer and defects and etc would be up, but it's not uninhabitable. Sure, there are things like dirty bombs and nuclear power plants that would make the radiation last longer but the average city, assuming it got hit by 4-7 nukes, will probably be inhabitable again in 10-20 years.

I'm just saying this cuz I've noticed tons of maps where a nuclear happens and half the world is just irradiated 200 years after the fact.
Indeed, nuclear weapons usually produce fallout with short half lives. Harmful in the short-term, but will die down in the long-term. Unless the nuke was configured to produce fallout with long-half lives (like a salted bomb), the area it hits will be habitable after a few years.

Last edited:
Vermont at least has the excuse of its isolated geography and its unique culture and history. Delaware's only claim to fame is that it was so terrified of its own irrelevance that it was the first to sign on to the new constitution.

So, isolated geography only counts when it’s surrounded by mountains instead of water, and you’re trying to claim Vermont’s got a more “unique” history and culture over 1) the state that had New Sweden AND a separate Dutch settlement in Zwannendael pre-English settlement, 2) Maryland-Pennsylvania arguments over it that can arguably match New Yorker-local struggles over self-government and 3) ignoring a nice blend of northern and southern influences meeting in the state and when I could seemingly just call Vermont 99% white Yankees as a response?

You know, I actually would have expected AH.com to know better than this.

So, isolated geography only counts when it’s surrounded by mountains instead of water, and you’re trying to claim Vermont’s got a more “unique” history and culture over 1) the state that had New Sweden AND a separate Dutch settlement in Zwannendael pre-English settlement, 2) Maryland-Pennsylvania arguments over it that can arguably match New Yorker-local struggles over self-government and 3) ignoring a nice blend of northern and southern influences meeting in the state and when I could seemingly just call Vermont 99% white Yankees as a response?
As someone who has lived under a hundred miles away from Delaware my whole life, and who has traveled through the state many a time, I can firmly say that just about everything you said there about culture was wrong.

1.) There is no Dutch influence left in the state whatsoever, and as for the Swedes? Don't make me laugh. They were there for under twenty years, made little to no impact, and you'd be hard-pressed to find any Delawarian outside of Wilmington who even knows the state's predecessor was founded by Sweden.

2.) I'm not sure exactly what you're getting at with the relationship between MD/PA/DE and New York City and the rest of the state. Sure, there were arguments about the state being run by either Maryland or Pennsylvania, but that was in the 1770s. No one's been arguing that point since 1789.

3.) Delaware is kinda a blend of North and South, but if you really want to see that type of culture, you need to go to Maryland. Delaware is indistinguishable from Eastern Shore MD in the south and from south Jersey in the north.

I'm not defending Vermont, either, but it does retain a lot more French influence than Delaware did Swedish or Dutch, mostly due to Québec being just across the border. At the end of the day, though, Delaware is 99% white Yankee, and Vermont is, like, 96% white Yankee.

Hmm I wonder what state this person lives in

It's like making broad, dissing statements will annoy the people who live there.

No, I live in Delaware and have the vast majority of my life, and my post is more pointing out the explicit inanity of that ridiculous talk of Vermont somehow being much more unique or worthy of being its own place - when I could just as easily twist the claims used on it as being the same and worthwhile for Delaware. You're absolutely right on cultural influence... but I'm more than happy to call out something ridiculous like 'unique geography and history' there somehow applying to X but not Y.

Doubly so when my main bugbear here isn't actually Vermont in the slightest, but residents of these big states rambling about senatorial representation when they've had enough historical split-ups in Virginia's case or endless proposals over time to split up in California's. They're perfectly welcome to become smaller themselves if they want more senators. I'll also gladly say something like Soup's post gives me a grin versus seeing people try to moan on its existence in the first place.

Long story short, this is an old idea for an alternate South Africa that I had previously posted when I was new to the site. I had previously posted it on DeviantArt, but decided that it was natural I posted it on this site as well.

africa map cities alt copy.jpg

I may reuse some older ideas from this to create alternate versions of both the Boer Republics and Rhodesia, as part of a greater TL I hope to produce one day.

UPDATE: Replaced second flag. The original can be found here:

https://althistory.fandom.com/wiki/Flags_of_South_Africa

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.