Hail, Britannia

Hello, just wanted to check on this timeline and I love the updates that you've done!

Also, I am curious, how do the populations and economies of all the other Italian states compare to those of Savoy? Venice must have some sort of rivalry with them, given their proximity and history.

How was the Russian Revolution, did the Romanovs die or George V decided to let them at least go to some other country using a british ship
Leinad already answered that question.
Unfortunately the Romanovs are still killed by Soviets - and this is a big part of why Britain becomes so fervently anti-Communist is the interwar period. Their deaths, plus the Alaskan Uprising, leads to all Communist organisation being banned in the Empire.

Premiers of Rhode Island

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
I promise I will answer questions tonight and comments tonight - just at work at present :(

Here's the list of Governors and Premiers of Rhode Island. Many thanks to @Turquoise Blue who provided the vast majority of these, with a few amendments from myself.

rd293tC.png

Colonial Governors of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations (1769–1790)
36. 1769–1779 Joseph Wanton (Whig)
37. 1779–1783 Samuel Ward (American Patriot)
38. 1783–1786 Darius Sessions† (Loyalist Whig)
39. 1786–1790 Joseph Wanton Jr., 2nd Earl of Newport (Whig)

Premiers of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations (1790–)
11. 1790–1795 Joseph Wanton Jr., 2nd Earl of Newport (Whig majority)
12. 1795–1797 David Howell (Whig majority)
13. 1797–1803 Sir Ray Greene (Loyalist Whig majority)
14. 1803–1805 Sir Arthur Fenner† (Country majority)
15. 1805–1819 Samuel Eddy (Country majority)
16. 1819–1827 James Fenner (Country majority) (1st)
17. 1827–1829 Christopher G. Champlin (Loyalist Whig minority)
16. 1829–1833 James Fenner (Country majority) (2nd)
18. 1833–1839 John Brown Francis (Country majority)
16. 1839–1843 James Fenner, 1st Viscount Fenner (Country majority) (3rd)
19. 1843–1843 Thomas Wilson Dorr (Radical minority) (1st)
10. 1843–1847 Sir Samuel Ward King (Law and Order majority)
19. 1847–1850 Thomas Wilson Dorr (Radical minority) [1] (2nd)
11. 1850–1853 Sir Tristam Burges† (Law and Order majority)
12. 1853–1859 Sir Byron Diman (Law and Order majority)
13. 1859–1864 Christopher Robinson (Loyalist majority)
14. 1864–1874 William Sprague IV (Loyalist majority)
15. 1874–1879 Karel Van Zadt (Liberal majority)
16. 1879–1881 Ambrose Burnside, 1st Duke of Providence† (Loyalist majority)
17. 1881–1887 Sir Nelson Aldrich (Loyalist majority) (1st)
18. 1887–1893 Robert Goddard (Liberal majority)
17. 1893–1899 Sir Nelson Aldrich (Loyalist majority) (2nd)
19. 1899–1914 Lucius F. C. Garvin (Liberal majority)
20. 1914–1919 Aram Jules Pothier (Loyalist majority)
21. 1919–1920 George Boomer (Labour minority)
22. 1920–1927 Peter G. Gerry (Liberal majority) (1st)
23. 1927–1932 Richard Aldrich (Loyalist majority)
24. 1932–1938 Robert E. Quinn (LabourLiberal majority coalition)
22. 1938–1946 Sir Peter G. Gerry (Liberal majority) (2nd)
25. 1946–1958 Felix Hébert (Loyalist majority)
26. 1958–1967 John Chafee (Loyalist majority)
27. 1967–1971 Fernand St. Germain (Liberal minority) (1st)
28. 1971–1979 J. Joseph Garrahy (Labour minority, then Labour majority)
29. 1979–1986 Claudine Schneider (Loyalist majority)
27. 1986–1988 Fernand St. Germain (Liberal minority) (2nd)
30. 1988–1996 Bruce Sundlun (Liberal minority, then Liberal majority)
31. 1996–2004 Lincoln Chafee (Loyalist majority)
32. 2004–2013 Elizabeth Roberts (LiberalLabour majority coalition)
33. 2013–2016 David Cicilline (LabourGreen minority coalition)
34. 2016–2020 Allan Fung (Loyalist minority)

[1] - President of the Chepachet Republic (1850) during the Republican Rebellion.​

Last edited:

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
I assume this Dominion of Roanoke is an independent Commonwealth realm.

In effect yes, although the British Empire in Turtledove's Southern Dominion is more akin to the European Union in terms of the relationship between London and the dominions than the full independence of Commonwealth realms in OTL.

The Republican Rebellion is a pretty interesting affair.

I do have one thought about it. IOTL, William Lyon Mackenzie really, really hated slavery to the extent that a couple decades after the Upper Canada Rebellion he repudiated his support of annexation to the US in favour of Imperial Federation (albeit with an elected governor) or a federation of British North America. At another time, he supported the northern US breaking away and creating a country with Upper Canada. So, I would assume the Republican Rebellion would be deeply divided in regards to slavery, with northern rebels supporting abolition and southern rebels not doing so. Of course, this might not be understood by the general public, merely historians.

Indeed. ITTL Mackenzie generally supported American independence, but the Southern republics became tainted by the ideals of restoring slavery. The Republican Rebellion was deeply divided with regards to slavery, a fact not necessarily understood by the general public. But emphasised by historians.

Yo Leinad, how's Ireland doing? Has it had its fair share of rebellions in the 19th and 20th centuries?

Ireland was self-governing from the 1780s to 1876 when it reverted to direct rule from London. In 1888 following an uprising, Ireland's home rule was restored, and has been relatively peaceful ever since. The only things really have been protests and riots whenever hard Irish nationalists talk about independence - especially from the more unionist parts of the country, namely Ulster, Dublin and the southern coast.

When and how did the province of Allegheny break off from Pennsylvania?

Allegheny became a separate colony in the 1780s as a compromise between conflicting claims in the region from Pennsylvania and Virginia.

Also, what are cities like Baltimore and Philadelphia like ITTL?

Cities on the east coast are generally more densely populated than OTL, more comparable to European cities or Boston in terms of urban sprawl and development. The Metro systems are also more extensive. Philadelphia is more prominent due to its status as the capital of Columbia, and is home to the Columbian Parliament and government.

Speaking of alternate history-within-alternate history, how much do you wanna bet ITTL @Kanan is writing a TL/worldbuilding project where New England breaks away from Britain during the Colonial Unrest?
All of my money

;)

@LeinadB93 Two questions:
1 - Since the monarchy seems to have had an important role in directly moving the Colonies closer to Britain, are they less or more powerful than in OTL, or is the same as is here
2 - How was the Russian Revolution, did the Romanovs die or George V decided to let them at least go to some other country using a british ship

1. The monarchy is generally more powerful in Britain ITTL, although its status in the Commonwealth realms is weaker - especially Patagonia and the Philippines where the monarchy has comparable power to the OTL Swedish monarch. @Turquoise Blue did a post on North American political attitudes, but effectively the British peerage retains some soft power and influence under the ideals of "noblesse oblige".

2. The Romanovs unfortunately suffer the same fate as OTL, however - @Damian0358 suggested this - Anastasia is sent away from her family and ends up escaping and surviving the Revolution. She eventually arrives in England, before heading to Alaska where she meets and marries the heir to the Alaskan principality. I've got a wikibox for her that probably needs completing :)

Hello, just wanted to check on this timeline and I love the updates that you've done!

Also, I am curious, how do the populations and economies of all the other Italian states compare to those of Savoy? Venice must have some sort of rivalry with them, given their proximity and history.

Generally they are poorer than Savoy, although Venice would likely be second-place amongst the Italian states for economoic strength. Yep Savoyard-Venetian relations are friendly rivals.

Can I make an Andamans infobox?

Sure thing :) What were you thinking?

Last edited:

Deleted member 107125

I was thinking an election infobox. The two dominant parties are the Andaman and Nicobar Congress, led by Derek O’Brien, and the Conservatives, led by Richard Hay. Minor parties include Ali Zubair’s Nicobarese People’s Party, and the DMK.

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
I was thinking an election infobox. The two dominant parties are the Andaman and Nicobar Congress, led by Derek O’Brien, and the Conservatives, led by Richard Hay. Minor parties include Ali Zubair’s Nicobarese People’s Party, and the DMK.

I'd be interested to see what you come up with :)

Although I had established Richard Hay (Alliance) as the incumbent First Minister.

Going over the new map. Couldn't help but notice the remaining French presence in Guangzhouwan, right along with Portuguese Macau and, of course, British Hong Kong. So I guess China's activities during the twentieth century led the colonial powers to stick around rather than transferring sovereignty?

(I know this may have been covered earlier in the thread, but I've mostly just been lurking.)

Last edited:

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Going over the new map. Couldn't help but notice the remaining French presence in Guangzhouwan, right along with Portuguese Macau and, of course, British Hong Kong. So I guess China's activities during the twentieth century led the colonial powers to stick around rather than transferring sovereignty?

(I know this may have been covered earlier in the thread, but I've mostly just been lurking.)

Also Japanese Ryosai (OTL Kwantung Leased Territory) in southern Manchuria :)

The Paris Peace Accords and the Treaty of Kyoto - which formally ended both the East Asian War and the Chinese Civil War - ceded the British, French and Portuguese concessions to their colonial powers "in perpetuity". This was largely in lieu of reparations for Chinese actions during the Second World War. All three are still held by their colonial powers, with varying degrees of autonomy.

Also Japanese Ryosai (OTL Kwantung Leased Territory) in southern Manchuria :)

The Paris Peace Accords and the Treaty of Kyoto - which formally ended both the East Asian War and the Chinese Civil War - ceded the British, French and Portuguese concessions to their colonial powers "in perpetuity". This was largely in lieu of reparations for Chinese actions during the Second World War. All three are still held by their colonial powers, with varying degrees of autonomy.
I'm sure that some Chinese right-wingers them returned to Chinese control, similar to Japanese claims to Sakhalin and the Kurile Islands control. Also, plenty of people in both China and the West would probably argue that it's unfair since it was the West that drove China to militarism in the first place.

I'm sure that some Chinese right-wingers them returned to Chinese control, similar to Japanese claims to Sakhalin and the Kurile Islands control. Also, plenty of people in both China and the West would probably argue that it's unfair since it was the West that drove China to militarism in the first place.
One would suppose a similar attitude developed in China to that that developed in Japan IOTL. "Shikata ga nai" or rather the Chinese equivalent.

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
One would suppose a similar attitude developed in China to that that developed in Japan IOTL. "Shikata ga nai" or rather the Chinese equivalent.

Whilst there are some on the right in China who advocate for reclaiming the cities, along with Manchuria, Takasago (Taiwan), and other "lost territories", it's a relatively minor view. Sort of how the modern German state views the territorial loses after the Second World War. It helps that in most areas the populations are no longer "culturally" Chinese.

Minority Ethnic Groups in Alaska

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
So here's something I've been working on for a while. @HongCanucker deserves the credit for introducing me to the OTL Alaskeros. I also may now have have been inspired to make a Yukon infobox :)

It's worth pointing out that a lot of Alaskans have Slavic heritage from outside Russia, but they aren't considered separate ethnic groups due to the level of intermarriage between groups. These notable minorities are generally defined by their linguistic or cultural differences, but a lot of mainstream Alaskans are descended from a mixture of Russian, Ukrainian, Polish, English, Native and Cossack ancestors.

rd293tC.png

Anglo-Alaskans, also known as English-speaking Alaskans, English Alaskans, Anglophone Alaskans, or Yukoners, are the English Canadian or English-speaking residents of the Canadian province of Alaska. Anglo-Alaskans are the largest minority group in the province, distinguished by their use of the English language compared to the official status of Alaska as a Russian-speaking (russophone) province. Under Alaskan, Canadian and Imperial law, the English-speaking community in Alaska constitutes an official linguistic minority population. At the 2011 census, 314,854 residents of Alaska declared English as their mother tongue, approximately 14.2% of the provincial population.

The origins of the English-speaking Alaskans include immigration from other parts of British America, particularly large emigration from other Canadian provinces in the late 19th century, especially following successive gold rushes. The Anglophone population is heavily concentrated in the east of the province, specifically the governorates of Stikine, Tongass, and Yukon – where English-speakers make up a majority of the population. The strong English language education program in Alaskan schools has made estimating the population of English-speaking Alaskans difficult, with growing urban communities in Juneau, Sitka and Vasiliya. In the late 20th century, with the rise of Alaskan nationalism, there has been an awakening of the Anglophone political consciousness, with a rise in support for more autonomy in Yukon, or even a separate province. In 1991, the Alaskan government devolved significant powers to Yukon as an “autonomous governorate” with its own legislature.

t2y52ek.png

Alaskan Cossacks are ethnic Cossacks who settled in Alaska during its period of Russian colonisation, with the first Cossacks arriving in Russian Alaska during the 1800s, primarily to protect the growing colony from Native Alaskan attacks. By 1818 the Alaskan Cossack Host was formally established by imperial decree and by 1830 nearly 6,000 Cossacks had arrived in the colony, establishing holds across the northern frontier to pacify the area, protect settlers and interact with the indigenous peoples, many of whom were integrated into the Cossack hierarchy through intermarriage.

In 1837, the city of Novo-Cherkassk-on-the-Yukon was established as the administrative centre of the Alaskan Cossack Host, which largely operated independently as the de facto government in northern Alaska. The semi-nomadic Cossacks played a key role in settling the interior, and interacted with British fur traders travelling overland from Rupertsland, establishing the first overland networks between Alaska and British America. During the War for Alaska, the Cossacks took to raiding British positions and then vanishing into the wilderness, but under the terms of the Treaty of Paris the British agreed to respect their traditional lifestyle if they recognised British suzerainty, and the relationship between successive governments and the Alaskan Cossacks has been one of semi-autonomy ever since. Alaskan Cossacks played a key role in the liberation of the interior city of Chena during the Alaskan Uprising, where they routed revolutionary forces, and for their actions, King-Emperor George V created the Royal Cossack Battalion as a permanent fixture of the British Army, which persists to this day.

In the 21st century, the Alaskan Cossacks are a polyethnic group of mixed Slavic and Native Alaskan descent, who primarily reside in semi-autonomous holds along the Tanana River, the lower Yukon River and throughout the Kuskokwim Mountains, centred on the city of Novo-Cherkassk-on-the-Yukon. Traditional hold culture remains strong amongst Alaskan Cossacks, although many in the younger generations have opted to leave the conservative hold lifestyle to live in the more cosmopolitan coastal cities. Regardless, Cossacks maintain a unique status in Alaska distinct from the province’s other inhabitants, with the number of Cossacks numbering at 282,475 at the 2011 census, making up 12.8% of the provincial population

t2y52ek.png

The Alaskeros (Filipino: Mga Alasqueros) are a polyethnic group in Alaska, who can trace their descent from Filipino seasonal migrant workers who first arrived in the province in the 1870s, many of whom eventually settled in towns and cities along the coast of the Gulf of Alaska and intermarried with the indigenous Eskimo peoples. At the 2011 census there were 95,424 residents of Alaska who reported their ethnicity as Alaskero, 4.3% of the total population of the province, as ethnicity is based on self-identification the actually number of Alaskeros may be much higher. The Philippine Islands became part of the British Empire in 1868, and the first Filipinos came to Alaska in 1878 to work in the province’s salmon canneries, farms and mines, with many taking advantage of their status as British subjects to settle permanently in the province, marrying Eskimo women and establishing their own communities.

Despite discrimination throughout the 20th century, and actions limiting continued Filipino immigration, the Alaskero population has survived and thrived in the coastal regions of Alaska. In the 21st century, Alaskeros are the largest population of Asian descent in Alaska and western Canada, with a unique cultural identity formed from the blending of Flipino, Alaskan and Eskimo cultures. Alaskero communities are most prevalent in the larger coastal cities, where they form close-knit neighbourhoods, the most notable being the “Little Manila” districts of Juneau and Vasiliya.

t2y52ek.png

The Doukhobors in Alaska are a Spiritual Christian religious group of Russian origin that emigrated to Alaska in the 1880s fleeing persecution in the Russian Empire. Although the ancient origin of the Doukhobors is uncertain, they were first recorded in 1701 and were categorised as “Spiritual Christians”, forming a non-Orthodox ethno-confessional faith that was harshly oppressed in Imperial Russia by both the state and church authorities. Doukhobor communities in Russia were persecuted and forcibly resettled numerous times until the 1880s, when the Russian government, under international pressure, agreed to allow the Doukhobors to leave the country, subject to them never returning. Although they first emigrated to the Colony of Cyprus, the Alaskan government offered more land, transportation and aid to resettle in the Matanuska-Susitna Valley, and by 1900 nearly 10,000 Doukhobors had migrated from Russia to Alaska.

As they were mostly of peasant origin, the Doukhobor immigrants adapted to life in agricultural communes throughout the Matanuska-Susitna Valley, working as farmers, loggers, and lumbermen, and establishing communal hamlets. During the Alaskan Uprisings, the Doukhobors refused to take up arms, citing their pacifist views, and were targeted by communist and anarchists, who attacked and destroyed many communities. Following the uprising, Doukhobor leader Pyotr Verigin founded the Alliance 19 party, to campaign for a return to home rule and land reform amongst other issues, and he served as State Minister from 1923 until his assassination in 1924. At the 2011 census, there were 45,772 self-reported Doukhobors in Alaska, 2.1% of the total provincial population, and the majority continue to reside in communities throughout the Matanuska-Susitna Valley and the city of Nelchinevka.

t2y52ek.png

Franco-Alaskans (French: Franco-Alaskiens) are French Canadians or French-speaking residents of the Canadian province of Alaska. The 2011 census identified 26,577 residents of the province as francophone, 1.2% of the province’s total population, and approximately 155,000 residents, or nearly 7% of the total population, are of at least partial French descent. Alaska was founded as a Russian colony, and is geographically the farthest-removed province from Canada’s historic francophone population, thus it is not surprising to find that francophone Alaskans are few in number. The first francophones came to Alaska in the late 19th and early 20th centuries during the gold rushes, primarily from Quebec and Acadiana, who settled in the eastern governorates of Stikine, Tongass, and Yukon. Successive immigrants came from Europe and Africa, making the Franco-Alaskan community a diverse one encompassing many places of origin with a unique culture compared with other French Canadian populations.

g0NMLI5.png

Last edited:
Alaskan Cossacks are ethnic Cossacks who settled in Alaska during its period of Russian colonisation, with the first Cossacks arrived in Russian Alaska during the 1800s, primarily to protect the growing colony from Native Alaskan attacks, and by 1818 the Alaskan Cossack Host was formally established by imperial decree and by 1830 nearly 6,000 Cossacks had arrived in the colony. Cossack holds were established across the northern frontier to pacify the area, protect settlers and integrate the indigenous peoples, and many were integrated into the Cossack hierarchy through intermarriage.

In 1837, the city of Novo-Cherkassk-on-the-Yukon was established as the administrative centre of the Alaskan Cossack Host, where largely operated independently as the de facto government in northern Alaska. The semi-nomadic Cossacks played a key role in settling the interior, and interacted with British fur traders travelling overland from Rupertsland, establishing the first overland networks between Alaska and British America. During the War for Alaska, the Cossacks took to raiding British positions and then vanishing into the wilderness, but under the terms of the Treaty of Paris the British agreed to respect their traditional lifestyle if they recognised British suzerainty, and the relationship between successive governments and the Alaskan Cossacks has been one of semi-autonomy ever since. Alaskan Cossacks played a key role in the liberation of the interior city of Chena, where they routed revolutionary forces, and for their actions, King-Emperor George V created the Royal Cossack Battalion as a permanent fixture of the British Army, which persists to this day.

In the 21st century, the Alaskan Cossacks are a polyethnic group are of mixed Slavic and Native Alaskan descent, who primarily reside in semi-autonomous holds along the Tanana River, the lower Yukon River and throughout the Kuskokwim Mountains, centred on the city of Novo-Cherkassk-on-the-Yukon. Traditional hold culture remains strong amongst Alaskan Cossacks, although many in the younger generations have opted to leave the conservative hold lifestyle to live in the more cosmopolitan coastal cities. Regardless, Cossacks maintain a unique status in Alaska distinct from the province’s other inhabitants, with the number of Cossacks numbering at 82,475 at the 2011 census, making up 3.7% of the provincial population
All of my yes.

Russian Cossacks and Doukhobors living in harmony in British-held Alaska with the French and Filipinos.

Now this...is beautiful. Out of all of the TL's I've read in my time, this is the one that I most want to visit at least once. It's clearly not a utopia, but if the population at large from this universe saw ours, I think a good number of them would consider themselves fortunate.

On a less sappy note, I really enjoy the creativity of your flags. You keep pulling new ones out of your butt and they always look like a flag that could be used in real life which is a skill that many struggle with.

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Russian Cossacks and Doukhobors living in harmony in British-held Alaska with the French and Filipinos.

Now this...is beautiful. Out of all of the TL's I've read in my time, this is the one that I most want to visit at least once. It's clearly not a utopia, but if the population at large from this universe saw ours, I think a good number of them would consider themselves fortunate.

On a less sappy note, I really enjoy the creativity of your flags. You keep pulling new ones out of your butt and they always look like a flag that could be used in real life which is a skill that many struggle with.

It is indeed better than OTL in many ways :), but also worse in some places :( I would absolutely love to visit just once! To visit Alaska, travel the Cape to Cairo Railway, swim in the Qattara Sea, and so many others.

With the flags, I really appreciate that :) But you wouldn't believe how many discarded designs I go through each time!! Flags seem to be my speciality :)

Are there any Finns in Alaska?

Not really. Oh sure they'll be a few thousand Alaskans who have some Finnish ancestry, but not as a distinct linguistic or ethnic group.

A lot of Finns migrated to Wisconsin in the Ohio Country, or Minnesota and Dakota in Missouri. In the former they are a notable linguistic and cultural minority group, whilst in Missouri they (along with other Nordic immigrants) formed the ancestors for the modern Nordic American / Minnesotan people.

Last edited:

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
So continuing the ret-conning, I've got a couple of new flags:

I was never really happy with the flag I'd chosen for China ITTL, it didn't include enough Han red, so here's a new attempt. Also, upon reading my notes and looking at OTL history, I've straightened out the history of East Asia - specifically Japan and its relations with Corea and Manchuria. ITTL I've come to the conclusion that with a stalemate victory in the First Sino-Japanese War blunting Japan's power projection and influence for a time, Corea doesn't suffer the same fate as OTL in terms of direct Japanese influence, therefore it remains a Kingdom under the House of Yi. Also different spelling because - why not :)

Federal Republic of China
iStTHvr.png

Kingdom of Corea
rg1ofmD.png