How important would German royalty be had Germany won WW1?

As opposed to the role the British royal family played in shaping the UK’s “brand” and pop culture during the 20th century, to what degree of importance would the Hohenzollerns, Wittelsbachs and even Habsburgs be held had Germany won World War 1?

You may consider any scenario other than a “home by Christmas” type of CP-victory.

Depends on cultural diffusion. The primary reason the British crown mattered was American English cultural domination. Does German become a lingua franca? I guess that depends on the next war.

Remember that the British Isles have had only one king for many centuries, while Germanic peoples were only united under one Kaizer for less than a century. Even under Kaizer Whilhelm II, german-speakers were still divided between: Germany and Austria with substantial minorities in Belgium, Switzerland, Czechoslovakia, Poland, Russia, etc.

The victorious monarchs could very easily become symbols of national pride - a lot would depend on the personality of Wilhelm, and his successors, post war, especially their response to the rise of the left. Wilhelm II was never the most...diplomatic of people, and if he keeps his OTL health, living in until 1941, that's a lot of years for things to potentially be screwed up in. Remember that the British monarchy's remaining overt soft power over much of the 20th Century gradually became a behind-the-scenes influence, quite deliberately through Elizabeth II's decision to keep strictly neutral in the political scene, continuing in the tradition of her father, grandfather, great-grandfather, etc. So if there is a clash between crown and legislature, there's scope for the system to recover, but that's a sizeable if.

It also depends on at what stage the War is won - a brisk 1914 win might see Wilhelm basking in the glory for years, or might embolden him enough to fight back against any politician seeking to "win the peace". By contrast, a long, gruelling 1916/17 win produces a much greater demand for internal reform.

The potential is there for friction as there is/was in any liberalising monarchy, but it really comes down to what the Kaisers are like with regards to growing democracy, and how well they manage their public image.

Depends on ow German politics develop. If they evolve a two-party system, so that most governments are majority ones, the Emprepr cpould end up as a constitutional figurehead. If it stays multi-party, then he may play a bigger role. .

If German Empire wins WW1
The monarchy in Germany survives, but aristocracy loose allot of there prestige and influence.
Allot veterans will blame the aristocracy for the mess that WW1 was.

While Germans demands for social changes, what Wilhelm II. vaguely promised before the WW1
Something the Emperor has to do, if he not want face protest or worst a uprise.
on long therm the Germans Emperors will become a influential constitutional figureheads.
(same goes for monarchs of German Empire member states)

For continental Europe or "Mittleeuropa" the Germans are dominating Power, military, economic with Zollverein.
They will redrawn the Map of Europe after War and rights of co-determination like on Belgium or other european Nations.
i don't know if Emperor will dictate the Marriage politic of european aristocracy, but it could be similar mess before WW1.

Another thing the Hohenzollerns will face next popularly under the Germans, will be rise of Yellow journalism in 1920s.
They will face similar like British royal house, were latest gossip is presented als Hot News on front-page...

A lot of European countries have royal families, how do they go?

This is a good point, actually. I would risk saying that because they are minor stable powers overall (eg, Denmark, Sweden), we tend not to think about the influence of their monarchies as much? A victorious superpower who holds the economic fate of Europe in its hands, however... I’m not really sure if they would be as impactful as the Windsors, however.

They (and by that I mean Wilhelm II) had this extraordinary habit of meddling into politics and discrediting Germany as a nation of warmongers. Perhaps this would continue to a fault?

This is a good point, actually. I would risk saying that because they are minor stable powers overall (eg, Denmark, Sweden), we tend not to think about the influence of their monarchies as much?

Interesting point about Sweden in ww1; while the country was neutral, it very nearly erupted into revolution and potentially civil war. This was over democratization which was very closesly connected to the war. Pro-democracy forces supported the entente while anti-democratic forces were pro-central powers, while the tipping point is often seen as the Russian revolution, creating fear of a revolution in Sweden, it was equally the fact that Germany lost the war. In a German victory scenario I can easily see the monarchy of Sweden being overthrown and if Germany decides to support pro-monarchy forces, a civil war.

Depends on cultural diffusion. The primary reason the British crown mattered was American English cultural domination. Does German become a lingua franca? I guess that depends on the next war.

Germany was already a Lingua Franca in most of central Europe, it really started to lose significance post-ww2. In a German victory I absolutely see it as becoming the no.1 important foreign language in continental Europe, alongside French with English being knocked down a notch.

I expect the German imperial family would grow relative irrelevant in time, much as most royal families in Europe, including the British one. In Austria-Hungary the Habsburgs will be the glue keeping the empire together.

What happens in Eastern Europe may play a role in how normalized Monarchy is in this timeline.

If Hohenzollern and Habsburgs are successfully put on the throne in Ukraine, Poland, Belarus, Finland, Lithuania, and Estonia/Latvia then Monarchs might just remain the norm.

Deleted member 94680

Germany was already a Lingua Franca in most of central Europe, it really started to lose significance post-ww2. In a German victory I absolutely see it as becoming the no.1 important foreign language in continental Europe, alongside French with English being knocked down a notch.

I would expect it would be French that gets knocked down a notch.

Probably German as the lingua franca of science and engineering, possibly a “military language” across Eastern and Central Europe, with English as the language of Diplomacy.

The British might have lost, but they have the Empire and the Americans still exist and are the Coming Power.

This is a tricky one to guess. As we know, at the end of the war Wilhelm has scant loyalty to his actual rule, the monarchy itself, both in Prussia and in the other states, was deeply disconnected from the people's future vision, political reform was imperative, the vaguely anti-monarchial parties were the majority and Wilhelm was very uncertain as a leader in these circumstances. That said, I do believe he had a liberal, if not progressive steak in him, he was political enough to sense the winds and maverick enough to potentially sail them. Although I think he is riddled with all the classist snobbery of the aristocracy, the German aristocracy held little real political power, the bureaucracy and army had real power, only the weighted electoral system gave the landed class in Prussia relevancy, and I think Wilhelm understood his real power wellsprings from his subjects not the elite. That alone suggests he might partner with the SDP, who surprisingly in its leadership was loyal to a King, and allow a shift in power to the Reichstag. At bottom I think Wilhelm actually wanted the best for Germany and Germans, unlike most dictators who merely crave power and their own vain glory aggrandizement, that concern might guide him to sacrifice power for control, influence rather than power, exactly how we assume a modern state should become more democratic even if the trappings are feudal. I tend to think Wilhelm's best allies are the left leaning majority coalition, they are far more likely to retain a Kaiser than even the army or bureaucracy who in OTL let it go at the slightest suggestion, showing me they were far more interested in their own survival. As he ages I think Wilhelm gets more moderate and more amenable to sharing power, delegating more and assuming a more figure head role.

For me that tends to make the evolved system more federal in its workings, more like the USA, with Wilhelm acting quasi-Presidential, the fellow kingdoms having real say as the states once did through the Senate and both that body (the Bundesrat) and Reichstag asserting "advice and consent". I think the Reichstag works more like the US legislature, less like a Parliament, with Wilhelm having more actual power than the UK King/Queen but less than a US President. I think it will be an odd hybrid. The Chancellor might become a more independent go between, an unelected PM, appointed but confirmed by the other bodies, dependent upon the elected body for funds, sensitive to the states prerogatives, obedient to the Kaiser, more City Manager than Mayor and just as undemocratic at bottom. At least that is the way I hope to craft it because it looks more fun than just another Parliamentary system.

And that leaves us how Wilhelm III reigns. My guess is that he is more playboy than king, even more meddlesome but unmotivated to actually rule, preferring ribbon cuttings and blustery press than daily grind of rule. Overall his reign will erode the esteem the public hold and weaken the institution, and perhaps thankfully so. Ten years of him playing rather than ruling will shift the rest of the real power into institutions that might be better at stability and less subject to personalities. That can give the elected body time to grow up and become a serious arbiter, actually governing by debate, consent and compromise behind all the trappings. I think we can get to a more purely figurehead "head of state" role for the Kaiser come Wilhelm IV.

Now that argues that Wilhelm III will be a somewhat scandalous King, to me more like how Edward VIII might have ruled, but the era might tolerate it, social mores might ease and his drinking, smoking, womanizing, and luxury life style might be tolerated as escapist compared to Wilhelmine conservatism. Without far left or far right ideology getting the center stage, his antics should distract from the serious issues. At bottom the economy will be the real issue for a generation or more. And I think he might make odd friends with Edward as a fellow libertine, filling a similar role to Hollywood despite how the people are still poor and things are still drab. The trick will be for the family to emulate the Windsors, moving back to the traditional bulwark, family values, church, charity, etc. Wilhelm might achieve it enough, III will tarnish it, IV will reinvent it, the question mark is what we think Wilhelm IV will be like, long term it will likely be his reign that affirms how the family is regarded to the modern era.

I would expect it would be French that gets knocked down a notch.

Probably German as the lingua franca of science and engineering, possibly a “military language” across Eastern and Central Europe, with English as the language of Diplomacy.

The British might have lost, but they have the Empire and the Americans still exist and are the Coming Power.

My best guess is that English still rises to a sort of generic lingua franca, especially in commerce and entertainment, but German holds the strong position of being too important to not know. French will be popular for the social set and in diplomacy but fading against English. Russian might play a bigger role. In this Eurocentric world the incentive will be to know English and German, they combined are the common languages.

Riain

Banned
They (and by that I mean Wilhelm II) had this extraordinary habit of meddling into politics and discrediting Germany as a nation of warmongers. Perhaps this would continue to a fault?

The imperial German constitution had the Kaiser in a position akin to the US President. He didn't meddle in politics, it was his job as the active head of the executive branch. This is different from the British where the work of government was conducted in the name of the monarch with regular consultation.

While Germany would undertake electoral reforms post ww1 it would take constitutional amendment to remove the Kaiser from being an active participant in German government.