Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the sort of maps I wish I can make. But honestly, I never know where to do research or bring myself to do so.

I started out filling in Victoria 2 province maps in seashore (apple equivalent of mspaint), then when I wanted to expand my skill downloaded GIMP and messed around with that a bit. I wouldn't call myself a great map maker by any stretch, but I've made stuff that people seem to like.

For my research, I generally read the relevant wikipedia articles. Those can give you a good foundation from which you can develop a better understanding of your chosen time period and place, although for more detailed or obscure information I sometimes end up looking for more specialized sources, which can come from anywhere.

I started out filling in Victoria 2 province maps in seashore (apple equivalent of mspaint), then when I wanted to expand my skill downloaded GIMP and messed around with that a bit. I wouldn't call myself a great map maker by any stretch, but I've made stuff that people seem to like.

For my research, I generally read the relevant wikipedia articles. Those can give you a good foundation from which you can develop a better understanding of your chosen time period and place, although for more detailed or obscure information I sometimes end up looking for more specialized sources, which can come from anywhere.
Thanks man.

Motivation has been somewhat of an issue for me, so I'll need to work on that. But this info will definitely help me out.

A Republic from my first Turkish Civil War scenario. The Republic of İzmir. The Population is a rough estimate I made with a popullation counter. Whatever.
izmirpng.png

Here's the Subdivisions:
izmirsub.png

Very nice. I've always liked the idea of an Intermarium-type nation in Eastern Europe, since that region always tends to get either screwed over or absorbed in the majority of the maps here.

Quick question--is this a Q-Bam or an M-Bam? I can never tell.

Thank you!

And I didn't remember what kind of map I'd used as a template, but I checked and it's a QBAM. Here's the link to the template I used, in case you want it: http://i.imgur.com/Ynd0eZA.png

Deleted member 108228

Interesting concept, but I'm curious as to why China would fall easily to the Collectivists, especially since China would have the manpower to defend/overwhelm any enemy (Such as the case with the Japanese Empire OTL). Did China suffer under an extended warlord era, one where they were unable to rally together against the Collectivists?

Interesting concept, but I'm curious as to why China would fall easily to the Collectivists, especially since China would have the manpower to defend/overwhelm any enemy (Such as the case with the Japanese Empire OTL). Did China suffer under an extended warlord era, one where they were unable to rally together against the Collectivists?
China has almost never been successfully defended. Mongols (Yuan), Manchu (Qing), Uyghur (An Lushan), British (Opium Wars, Century of Humiliation), French (2nd O. War, CoH), German (CoH), Japanese° (1st S-J war, WWII). Given the Collectivists would have China from the North, and the Internal Enemy (lookin' at you, *Mao), China would not stand a chance if the AmFed and Free World were fighting for their lives elsewhere, which I suspect they were.

°Japan would have won eventually without American and Soviet interference, and Mao was gifted Manchuria by the USSR and propelled to victory.

Bytor

Monthly Donor
This is a work in progress of Canada from my alternate history timeline "Balance of Power". I'll be updating it as I work on it. Not sure I like it, as I wasn't intending it to look so 1990s school atlas after exporting from QGIS.

ddlm42c-1c9cfe6c-2562-46b1-b47d-6b226f1f3480.png

The year is 1886, a census year, and the first one after the Dominion Land Survey and provisional districts were created in the North-West Territories to manage immigration and the growing population on the Great Plains and eastern Rockies.

Map on DeviantArt.

China has almost never been successfully defended. Mongols (Yuan), Manchu (Qing), Uyghur (An Lushan), British (Opium Wars, Century of Humiliation), French (2nd O. War, CoH), German (CoH), Japanese° (1st S-J war, WWII). Given the Collectivists would have China from the North, and the Internal Enemy (lookin' at you, *Mao), China would not stand a chance if the AmFed and Free World were fighting for their lives elsewhere, which I suspect they were.

°Japan would have won eventually without American and Soviet interference, and Mao was gifted Manchuria by the USSR and propelled to victory.

MuricanTauri beat me to it. And while he's largely on-point, just to add: while the Chinese Empire prior to the Terror was strong enough to have avoided a severe Century of Humiliation, there were still tensions beneath the surface, mainly from secessionist groups, ambitious nobles and provincial governors, and a divided government. The assassination of the Emperor, combined with the Provisional Regency's hasty efforts to re-establish order pretty much plunged the country into unrest and civil war.

Granted, China's fall to Collectivism didn't happen overnight, and a period of warlordism persisted into the 1940s-50s. But all things considered, the Free Chinese being able to hold onto Hainan, Taiwan and parts of both Fujian and Guangdong is in itself something of a "success."

Out of curiosity, I keep seeing very similar global maps (black bg, blue ocean, white land with solid color countries) appear here, do people use some sort of shared template / software to make them?

Status
Not open for further replies.