TL-191: After the End

Baldrick

Banned
Sorry if this has been asked before, but in TTL 2019, what's the current state of Anglo-American and Franco-American relations?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but in TTL 2019, what's the current state of Anglo-American and Franco-American relations?

As of 2019, the US diplomatic relationships with the UK and France are best described as “polite”. The US is not enemies with either country, but neither is the US an ally. In any case, both the UK and France are part of the Austro-Hungarian/German led European Community, and therefore not of high interest to US policymakers: it’s not considered...sensible in either Washington or Berlin to disrupt the other Great Power’s alliance systems.

There is a level of popular revulsion in both the UK and France (especially in the UK) that their nations ever allied with the Confederacy.

Some policymakers in London and Paris wonder, even as they plan a united Anglo-French economic and political rise under the EC, if perhaps one day the US could one day be played off against the Austro-Hungarian/German bloc. But that’s for another generation to worry about.

If someone ever does a narrative based TL 191 continuation, I want to see the climax of the Kalter Krieg trilogy being David Hasselhoff (the exact same, since he's ethnically German) singing about Freedom to a crowd of Southrons in Richmond demanding independence

As of 2019, the US diplomatic relationships with the UK and France are best described as “polite”. The US is not enemies with either country, but neither is the US an ally. In any case, both the UK and France are part of the Austro-Hungarian/German led European Community, and therefore not of high interest to US policymakers: it’s not considered...sensible in either Washington or Berlin to disrupt the other Great Power’s alliance systems.

There is a level of popular revulsion in both the UK and France (especially in the UK) that their nations ever allied with the Confederacy.

Some policymakers in London and Paris wonder, even as they plan a united Anglo-French economic and political rise under the EC, if perhaps one day the US could one day be played off against the Austro-Hungarian/German bloc. But that’s for another generation to worry about.

Two basic questions (I've started to read this TL again...I read it a long time ago but forgot a lot):

1-How much larger is 2019 Germany proper ITTL than Germany OTL?

2-Did you ever get to do that "Whatever happened to...?" segment on TL-191 characters you said you were considering on the first page of this thread?

Are you planning to add Threadmarks? Because if so. that would make things much easier for those who want to look through the "story" only (I know there is the wiki, but navigating that is difficult these days?

Two basic questions (I've started to read this TL again...I read it a long time ago but forgot a lot):

1-How much larger is 2019 Germany proper ITTL than Germany OTL?

In 2019, Germany (in Europe) has its OTL 1914 borders, in addition to some territory taken in East Central Europe during the First Great War. Germany has also annexed Alsace-Lorraine, Belgium, and Luxembourg.

2-Did you ever get to do that "Whatever happened to...?" segment on TL-191 characters you said you were considering on the first page of this thread?

I’m afraid not. However, I have done short write ups for series characters based on requests made in this thread.

Last edited:
I love this thread.

I have a question... what is the status of nuclear energy? Given the energy demands of the German and American empires, I can see energy independence as a political factor.

Regarding space races, Germany and America will want satellites in orbit for surveillance and electronic surveillance.

I love this thread.

I have a question... what is the status of nuclear energy? Given the energy demands of the German and American empires, I can see energy independence as a political factor.

In 2019, nuclear energy is a significant factor in Austro-Hungarian, German, and US energy policy. In TTL, nuclear energy was also a key component of Austro-Hungarian, German, and EC energy independence plans. On a side note, nuclear power did not encounter the same mass opposition from environmentalists groups as in our world.

Regarding space races, Germany and America will want satellites in orbit for surveillance and electronic surveillance.

Indeed. Satellite launches marked the earliest years of TTL’s Space Chase.

In 2019, nuclear energy is a significant factor in Austro-Hungarian, German, and US energy policy. In TTL, nuclear energy was also a key component of Austro-Hungarian, German, and EC energy independence plans. On a side note, nuclear power did not encounter the same mass opposition from environmentalists groups as in our world.
So I'm supposing no major Chernobyl style events happened to make people wary of what could happen? (Sorry, its been a while since I read through this thread in its fullest).

Anyhow, what historical events recieve the most media (film and video game) attention in this world? specifically in US and European cinema? Speaking of media, was Dr Lexington ever adapted to the screen? and what is Turtledove (or his counterpart) writing about in this world, aside from scenarios where the North wins and Germany somehow goes Freedomite?

So I'm supposing no major Chernobyl style events happened to make people wary of what could happen? (Sorry, its been a while since I read through this thread in its fullest).

Anyhow, what historical events recieve the most media (film and video game) attention in this world? specifically in US and European cinema? Speaking of media, was Dr Lexington ever adapted to the screen? and what is Turtledove (or his counterpart) writing about in this world, aside from scenarios where the North wins and Germany somehow goes Freedomite?
Speaking of which, would the CSA survive a race invasion or are they going to collapse and add more to their empire. Honestly would be an improvement.

Not in this world, as of 2019.

In the US, the Second Great War tends to be the subject of a lot of historical films, as well as, to a lesser extent, the First Great War and the American Revolution. Biopics of famous historical figures tend to be a common staple of cinema fare in US movies.

In European cinema, historical films tend not to be focused on a single event (though German cinema in 2019 is still full of period pieces about the two Great Wars).

-

There have been several attempts to film Doctor Lexington since its publication. The best received version will not be released until TTL’s 2021.

Turtledove himself doesn’t exist in this world. Greg Bliss (the author of Doctor Lexington), is currently in the first stages of a hoped for epic novel: in which Philadelphia and Richmond (from June 22, 1941) are mysteriously sent back in time to the same date in 1492.