Look to the West Volume VII: The Eye Against the Prism

Erm... Foreign Food Points... ?

Wonder how this works for the Empire of North America-- would pizza be classed as foreign?

I just hope we get to see how the former qing citizens feel like, in the new Feng territory, there might even be qing nationalism happening in the future.

Mongol children went through a pretty horrible campaign of forced assimilation in the dying Beiqing, and of course the Manchus did too; at the very least I hope the Feng will take their foot off the gas on that program.

Mongol children went through a pretty horrible campaign of forced assimilation in the dying Beiqing, and of course the Manchus did too; at the very least I hope the Feng will take their foot off the gas on that program.
I'd say the likelihood is pretty big, as giving the previously repressed cultures regional autonomy is going to do a lot to make them loyal subjects (not to mention the eventual advantage of conveying a diversitarian image).

Erm... Foreign Food Points... ?

Probably some kind of loyalty scheme, which gives you discounts because you ENJOY DIVERSITY(TM) like how many (but not all, naturally) good Diversitarians should.

Also, I believe this is the first mention of Poland in the modern era...which makes me wonder what happened to it in the meantime.

I blame Societists.

Those sneaky societists and their secret weather-controlling machine, hidden in their underwater volcano base. :biggrin:

Don't you also forget that Qing nationalism is valid and should be supported for the greater good of diversity(tm).

Remember, all violent actions conducted in re-enactments of Heritage Points of Controversy must be restricted to the appropriate level.

Probably some kind of loyalty scheme, which gives you discounts because you ENJOY DIVERSITY(TM) like how many (but not all, naturally) good Diversitarians should.

It also occurred to me that it might simply be an ad for a fast food/restaurant chain which has such cards.

Also, I believe this is the first mention of Poland in the modern era...which makes me wonder what happened to it in the meantime.

Well, it only mentions partially Polish food. Not the country of Poland. For all we know, Poland might as well be a part of Societist Danubia or the Russian Confederation.

Thande

Donor
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Oh hey, it's a Ming Norton.
That is the reference I was going for, yes :D
Oops.
'Go' is the Yapontsi term, and unlikely to be used iTTL. Weíqí is the standard Mandarin form in Pinyin spelling.
Thanks for pointing that out, I will change it. (Although I don't use accent marks anyway for Chinese even in normal chapters to make it slightly less impenetrable for the western reader, and Motext here can't display accent marks as well--which means I have to remember to go back and take it out of words like 'corvée').
Chinese demarchism... now I've seen it all.
Tempted to make that an album title in TTL...
Wonder how this works for the Empire of North America-- would pizza be classed as foreign?
Not directly answering this question, but bear in mind that pizza was considered a foreign innovation (and a passing fad!) in OTL America in the 1950s. I have a bit from MAD Magazine at the time I can post if you're interested.

Meanwhile in the UK, pizza was considered foreign well into the 1970s. I have a British cookbook from 1973 which treats curry as 'OK the real Indian sort is different to the takeaway ones you've had, but everyone knows what it is' but pizza as 'THIS WEIRD ITALIAN FLAT PIE THING' and even refers to the toppings as 'the filling' to avoid confusing people.

I've always wondered how well sortition would work for selecting a governing body, though I guess the 108 Mandators are more of a review board than a legislature (at least for now).

GERMAN POLISH ITALIAN SAUSAGE

Hmm, are these intended to be separate types... or are these Italian-style sausages made by Poles living in Germany?

Hmm, are these {GERMAN POLISH ITALIAN SAUSAGE} intended to be separate types... or are these Italian-style sausages made by Poles living in Germany?
I could even see them as bog-standard salami made in the same factory, but given a few "national" touchings for authenticity (think of how Greeks, Turks, Syrians and Lebanese IOTL argue with each other over who invented the baklava.)

Funnily enough, I read it as the exact opposite: as a good Diversitarian, you should like your culture's food, and not think all foods are basically the same like a Societist would. Therefore, while it's fine to eat foreign food occasionally, it's strictly rationed.

Diversitarianism really is a mass of contradictory impulses, isn't it?

Funnily enough, I read it as the exact opposite: as a good Diversitarian, you should like your culture's food, and not think all foods are basically the same like a Societist would. Therefore, while it's fine to eat foreign food occasionally, it's strictly rationed.

What are you, a Russian?

I mean, you are right to think so, even if I think you are wrong...:winkytongue:

Diversitarianism really is a mass of contradictory impulses, isn't it?

:biggrin:

Although, it might refer to the whole "diversity quota" thing the owner of that house the THANDE institute broke into and nicked all those books from mentioned.

What are you, a Russian?

I mean, you are right to think so, even if I think you are wrong...:winkytongue:

:biggrin:

Although, it might refer to the whole "diversity quota" thing the owner of that house the THANDE institute broke into and nicked all those books from mentioned.
Yeah. Are the foreign food points things you spend (as in rationed out) or things you are required to consume?

Thande

Donor
Thanks for the further comments.

If you're interested, to celebrate 100 likes on my Facebook author page (please join them, you know you want to) I've attempted to count up all the words of fiction I've written since I started in 1998. It's an exclusive to the author page to reward the people who follow it, so go and check it out!