An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

And that's why I was calling for a Greek or Ethiopian colony there. Well nothing that a couple squadrons of liners and a few regiments, can't take care of with extreme prejudice in the next war, declared or undeclared...

You aren't wrong but an issue is that if Rome takes South Africa then the Triunes can easily take the Caribbean colonies in retribution. Rome cares about those colonies far in excess of their economic importance so they may be leery to lose them to gain South Africa. That may not be a trade Rome wants to do.

Remember, we know of the gold and diamonds there, 17th/18th Century leaders ITTL probably don't.

You aren't wrong but an issue is that if Rome takes South Africa then the Triunes can easily take the Caribbean colonies in retribution. Rome cares about those colonies far in excess of their economic importance so they may be leery to lose them to gain South Africa. That may not be a trade Rome wants to do.

Remember, we know of the gold and diamonds there, 17th/18th Century leaders ITTL probably don't.

South Africa is by itself much more important than a couple rocks in the Caribbean. When also taking into account it's position interdicting Triune communications to India it becomes immensely more important. The next Triune war and there will be one will be over control of India in all probability after all.

The Cape Colony is incredibly vulnerable to an alliance that can likely project a lot of power down East Africa, which is a much shorter supply route than around West Africa.

South Africa is by itself much more important than a couple rocks in the Caribbean. When also taking into account it's position interdicting Triune communications to India it becomes immensely more important. The next Triune war and there will be one will be over control of India in all probability after all.

I understand that. The question is do the Roman leaders understand that? Those rocks in the Caribbean are useful as well from the Roman perspective between the sugar and the fact that they can be used to keep an eye on Western interests in Terranova.

New and improved map is finished! :D if anybody has more info on China and India’s borders that would be appreciated

Edit: I forgot to attach the file lmao

Attachments

• 79820C6D-3F76-44BB-8A68-12BC2B6E3993.png
    79820C6D-3F76-44BB-8A68-12BC2B6E3993.png
    86.9 KB · Views: 505
What is the religion distribution in Europe and in world? I'm a bit confused abour Central and Baltic regions. For example, what are the major religions in Prussia? Also, are there still 2 Popes in Rome and Avignon?

I wonder if any Rhomans still trace their roots back to Aneas, specifically those from Anatolia? It could be interesting to see a Trojan rebirth in western Anatolians to draw a distinction from their Greek cousins.

Ps. Shoot I wonder when they’re gonna find the supposed ruins of Troy ittl I bet that’s gonna cause a stir

I wonder if any Rhomans still trace their roots back to Aneas, specifically those from Anatolia? It could be interesting to see a Trojan rebirth in western Anatolians to draw a distinction from their Greek cousins.

Ps. Shoot I wonder when they’re gonna find the supposed ruins of Troy ittl I bet that’s gonna cause a stir
Well Western Anatolia is greek as greece so it's a bit unlikely

What is the religion distribution in Europe and in world? I'm a bit confused abour Central and Baltic regions. For example, what are the major religions in Prussia? Also, are there still 2 Popes in Rome and Avignon?

IIRC -
Avignon: Arles, Spain & Aragon, K of the Islands, Catholics under Despot of Sicily/Naples & Despot of Carthage, and Empire of Mexico (incl. Inca). (possibly Bernese League)

Rome: N. Italy, Germany/HRE (incl. Lotharingia), EAN, Poland & Hungary, and probably 1/2 population of K. of Prussia.

Bohamist: Triunes, some Northern Italians

E. Orthodox: Russian States. Vlachia, Georgia, Roman Empire, roughly 1/3 of population of Despot of Sicily, Serbia, and Japan.

O. Orthodox (miaphysite): Despotate of Egypt, roughly 2/3 of Armenians in Roman Empire, Ethiopian Empire, Kongo, and a small percentage of Syrians and Indians.

Unclear Christian allegiance: Illyria (possibly Avignon)

Sunni Islam: Berber Maghreb Megablob (Almohavids?), Some West Africans, some Spanish in former Andalus, Muslim Egypt/Sudan nation, Arabia, Yemen, Hadramut, Ottoman Empire, Sindh, some N. Indian States, Aceh, Brunei and Sulu. Possible that Chinese Dynasty is still nominally Muslim.

Ibadi Islam: Oman

Shia Islam: ??

Hinduism: Most Indian states and many Indonesian/SE Asian states.

Native Religions: unconquered natives in N. America, S. America, Africa, Australia, Polynesia, Siberia & New Zealand.

Church of the East/Nestorianism: Small communities in mesopotamia, central asia, tarim basin, India & large community in Kashmir.

Judaism: large community in Calabria, spread across Europe, ME and Central Asia much like OTL

Zoroastrianism: largely non-existent, possibly a few in India

Edit: Buddhism: probably Tibet, Myanmar/Burma nation, Mongolia and Korea. large populations in SE Asia, China and Ceylon.

Last edited:

Should anything akin to OTL Romantic nationalism arise, I can imagine some sort of Aeneist strain arising in that vein, perhaps to try and out-Roman the Latins, but as mentioned above Western Anatolia has been Greek for the better part of 2,000 years by the present in the narrative. That being said, nationalist romantic history can manifest in unexpected ways (see: Sarmatianism in Poland), so I'd say it's not totally out of the question for a Greek-speaking Roman state to claim at least some descent from Troy in its national mythology.

Should anything akin to OTL Romantic nationalism arise, I can imagine some sort of Aeneist strain arising in that vein, perhaps to try and out-Roman the Latins, but as mentioned above Western Anatolia has been Greek for the better part of 2,000 years by the present in the narrative. That being said, nationalist romantic history can manifest in unexpected ways (see: Sarmatianism in Poland), so I'd say it's not totally out of the question for a Greek-speaking Roman state to claim at least some descent from Troy in its national mythology.
That would be really weird though. Aeneas and his people left with him to found Rome. The east Romans would be nominally descendents of those who were left behind.

It's a bit more likely that the Romans will get more Greeky and use the old classics, the Hellenistic period, and other less Roman elements. They would treat Romans as a cultural development of their own civilization. Aeneas founded Rome in a Greek image, building upon Greek heritage of great achievements already which were made by the actual victors of the Trojan War, which would include Alexander and all associated Hellenistic era greatness.

I'd note that the Greek army motto is... from Hector. The Trojans in the Iliad are speaking the same language, have the same gods and several of them even have family on the other side of the fight, Teucer, Ajax brother, and Hector are first cousins for example. In other words the Trojans are... Greek!

I'd note that the Greek army motto is... from Hector. The Trojans in the Iliad are speaking the same language, have the same gods and several of them even have family on the other side of the fight, Teucer, Ajax brother, and Hector are first cousins for example. In other words the Trojans are... Greek!
Αμυνεσθαι περι πατρής...

Last edited:
If I can ask, what's the current status of the Varangian Guard? Have they been updated with modern weaponry and all that? Are they still serving as the bodyguard of the Emperor?

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Αμυνεσθαι περι πατρίς...
Literally have no clue what this means.

Not even 100% sure I know what language it is, although I think it may be modern Greek.

Yes, I am a cultural philistine, as is rather common in the U.S., but there it is.

You really need to include the English translation when posting. Right now if someone reported that this post was Holocaust denial (i.e. an insta-Ban policy violation) I'd have to take it at face value.

Literally have no clue what this means.

Not even 100% sure I know what language it is, although I think it may be modern Greek.

Yes, I am a cultural philistine, as is rather common in the U.S., but there it is.

You really need to include the English translation when posting. Right now if someone reported that this post was Holocaust denial (i.e. an insta-Ban policy violation) I'd have to take it at face value.
Well it is greek...it means to defend one's nation...it is a part of hector's response to a priest's advise based on bird omens

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Well it is greek...it means to defend one's nation...it is a part of hector's response to a priest's advise based on bird omens
Thanks for the additional detail.

Being a Bear clinging to the Far Western Shores of North America can make things difficult at times.