Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three inter-related questions:

1) How can anyone who can't figure out how to build a sea wall manage to build so many colonies on the moon that they become visible from Earth?

B) How can the USA build so many moon colonies when Cape Canaveral is under water?

3) Why is the sea level so much higher than scientists predict? It looks like more than 7m, possibly the 20m basemap. That would be 20-40 times the prediction from the IPCC by 2100.

A) I mean, there aren't exactly Indonesian or Bengali colonies. They have more pressing matters to attend to.

2) This is 2112 - Cape Canaveral's facilities were moved, and there are a lot more spaceports now. The entire nature of the industry has changed.

C) *grins* This world is much more apocalyptic than it seems at first glance. Climate Change was horrendously mismanaged by everyone, save for western Europe.
-The Sino-American Cold War created a yuge demand for more energy. Oil, coal, and natural gas were used until all reserves were completely emptied. That second bit caused the collapse of China.
-Developing nations thought it not worth the effort to invest in environmentally friendly solutions. That combined with population growth caused most of the disaster.

Fascinating. What's the difference between those two?

Not much.
-The Republic is modeled after the French government, while the Federation is much more like the United States.
-The Republic is more Russian, the Federation is more diverse with a greater Turkic population.
-The Republic claims to be the legitimate successor to Russia.
After nearly a century of separation, animosity has died down to just your standard national rivalry.

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Just keep in mind the Galveston Hurricane in 1900. Nearly wiped out the city. As far as capitals go there would be some space constraints as well, though I suppose nothing too major, since it is hardly like it would be a national capital. I see in your thread Galveston is only mentioned once, in reference to an election win. Houston apparently got a lot of investors and business scared away from Galveston after it was nearly leveled, so...
I searches for Galveston. Nothing but the one thing I already mentioned. Besides, I am asking the author here, wher epeople should in relation to a map.

I appreciate that :) Hoepfully I've gone someway to answering your questions. In terms of Galveston, in the modern day its still where the legislature sits and the government offices are there - but a lot of industry, investment and state government is based out of Houston.

And Gulf of Cortez.... I cannot see the Mexicans, Californians, or Texans wanting to use the name of him for that. It might go against their own nationalist policies.

Gulf of Cortez is actually quite a common name IOTL for the marginal sea - so ITTL it sticks arond. The northern gulf is the Bermejo Bay.

Come to think of it, how does Texas have so much land? They needed the US to back them to get most of what they got IOTL, and I feel it would be impractical for them to invade westward repeatedly. Suppose it might be one of those things you need to read to find out.
Thanks for the pointer. You don't specifically mention it that I could see in the ol dpost you linked to, but I presume that Great Britain gave the early Republic of Texas some kind of financial support to help allay the growing debts from breaking away from Mexico?

Effectively, some wanted to annex the nascent republic into the British American colonies - but a combination of the Republican Rebellion and the strongly republican sentiment in Texas meant that Britain took the oppotunity to establish Texas and California as strong buffer states between its American colonies and the potential power of Mexico.

Yes the British did indeed back up the Republic of Texas in terms of financial support, and indeed both countries were and are closely tied to the Empire.

Not to be nitpicking, but in my opinion the state borders actually look worse, particularly Idaho/Montana (what's with some of the latter's most populous counties being taken by Idaho) and the "Hispanic" states. That tiny state at the edge of southern Florida is probably very underpopulated, too. That said, everything else is fine, and I actually do like the map.

How long before the remnants of Louisiana become a U.S. territory?

-The population distribution of the United States is wildly different from what we know now. New immigrants populated the Plains states and kickstarted the Rust Belt back into action. Montana's population is actually significantly higher than Idaho's. As for the border... eh. Eye of the beholder or something like that.

-It won't. States like Louisiana, South Florida, Maryland, and what remains of Connecticut are still officially states, even though their sole purpose is to act as appendages of the federal government in Chicago. They're still at least somewhat populated and revoking representation in Congress isn't exactly a popular idea.

Here's a larger version of the map in the wikibox in this post, depicting a communist sort-of-EU, having evolved from the ComEcon and taken on the role of not just economic but also gradual political integretion. A more in-depth timeline outline is contained in the linked post, but it is basically something of a moderate communism-wank, with the Cold War continuing to the present day but with the USSR and China evolving differently, ending up rather better places without various issues of OTL
wikimap 3.png

And here's a worlda showing the general situation (with the green borders showing the above union)
world map.png

The World of Horizon Falling, 2112
Current map of Earth for my TL, Horizon Falling. Questions and recommendations are very much welcome, as this is my first public map post here.
I plan to eventually post the full timeline on this site, but it's still very much under construction.

-What is the current Chinese government like? You mentioned China collapsing because of resource exhaustion; how did it dealt with losing most of its major cities to the sea? Is the Chinese interior much more densely populated than today?

-How did India manage? With an independent Kashmir, and the Pakistan and Bangladesh rumps still independent, I assume that India was too preoccupied with internal problems to assert its power elsewhere.

-Israel seems to have annexed both the West Bank and Gaza. How did that worked out, and did the country weather climate change well?

-Korea is one color, but the North-South border is still present; I assume that a confederation-style arrangement was reached peacefully?

-How did Vietnam became divided again? With both states' largest cities and breadbaskets (the Red River Delta and Hanoi for the north, the Mekong Delta and Saigon for the south) being underwater, neither country seem more viable apart than together.

-Did the US take over most of the Pacific island chains? How did the populations there cope with the sea level rise, having no land nearby to evacuate to?

-Are all of the major coastal or near-coastal cities (NYC, DC, LA, SF, Rio de Janeiro, Buenos Aires, Dubai, Mumbai, Tokyo, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Singapore, Jakarta, Sydney, etc.) underneath the waves? Are there any successful efforts to preserve at least a few cities of exceptional economic value (or cultural, such as Venice) with sea walls?

Last edited:
C) *grins* This world is much more apocalyptic than it seems at first glance. Climate Change was horrendously mismanaged by everyone, save for western Europe.

Geez. So how primitive does the world look like, for lack of a better word? Are we talking early 20th century?

Unrelated, but what is the state of LGBT rights around the world?

-What is the current Chinese government like? You mentioned China collapsing because of resource exhaustion; how did it dealt with losing most of its major cities to the sea? Is the Chinese interior much more densely populated than today?

-The current Chinese government is significantly more democratic than now but is dominated by an elite ruling class. It no longer claims to be communist or such. It's rather similar the modern Russian government in style.
-It collapsed due to multiple factors. It became more authoritarian than it is now, then started to rapidly liberalise after the SACW. The CCP fractured and the country divided with it.
-Urban citizens moved either to space, the interior, up north, or across the Pacific. Shanghai still exists in a Venice-like way.

-How did India manage? With an independent Kashmir, and the Pakistan and Bangladesh rumps still independent, I assume that India was too preoccupied with internal problems to assert its power elsewhere.

-You guessed right. India, in a word, is bloated. The collapse of Bengal nearly caused the collapse of India too. The government's sole purpose is to manage the effects of its huge population.

-Israel seems to have annexed both the West Bank and Gaza. How did that worked out, and did the country weather climate change well?

-Actually, that's not Israel. The Levantine Confederation was a worldwide project to stop the crises that kept happening from escalating further.

-Korea is one color, but the North-South border is still present; I assume that a confederation-style arrangement was reached peacefully?

-Not exactly. China eventually "dissolved" the Kim regime and silently propped up the country as a puppet state for decades. It was used as a giant nuclear testing facility- China would give NK weapons, then would publicly act shocked when the United States and Japan condemned them.
-When the CCP and PRC collapsed, NK did too. It was briefly occupied by the UN, then they handed the territory over to SK. The economic and social disparity is still very much present in the country.

-How did Vietnam became divided again? With both states' largest cities and breadbaskets (the Red River Delta and Hanoi for the north, the Mekong Delta and Saigon for the south) being underwater, neither country seem more viable apart than together.

-You're not wrong, it would be best for them to be together. But the reason for their separation is analogous to why NK & SK are divided today.

-Did the US take over most of the Pacific island chains? How did the populations there cope with the sea level rise, having no land nearby to evacuate to?

-Yes, they were important for monopolising Pacific trade.
-They almost all moved to the United States or Australia. The latter has a significantly larger population, thanks to its new inland sea.

-Are all of the major coastal or near-coastal cities (NYC, DC, LA, SF, Rio de Janeiro, Buenos Aires, Dubai, Mumbai, Tokyo, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Singapore, Jakarta, Sydney, etc.) underneath the waves? Are there any successful efforts to preserve at least a few cities of exceptional economic value (or cultural, such as Venice) with sea walls?

-NYC, LA, SF, BA, Dubai, HK, & Sydney are safe.
-Tokyo, Shanghai, and Singapore were converted to modern Venice-like skyscraper cities.
-RDJ, JK, & Venice were all early victims of the sea. Completely obliterated.

But the reason for their separation is analogous to why NK & SK are divided today.

...So is the POD in the 20th century or something? Because Korea also had the issue of being divided into two by USSR and USA, with Nork and Southron cultures diverging tremendously over the decades. Unless all those South Vietnamese refugees decide to migrate back in the 21st century, I don't see the same happening with Vietnam without South Vietnam surviving in the first place.

...Unless there are some other issues at work and there was a Chinese-influenced/American-influenced split, which would make sense I guess.

Last edited:
The Lenape Empire at its greatest extent, c. 1896

View attachment 506032

The Lenape Empire consists of: the Lenape Union; the Provinces and Territories of the Lenape Empire; and the Lenape Protectorates of Lunda, Malaysia, and Greater Cypria. The Lenape's aims are to join their colonies in East and West Africa, to fully control the Mediterranean, to secure their holdings in the Indian Ocean, and to gain a foothold in the Pacific, preferably in Southeast Asia. Their allies are the Cree Confederation, the Mohawk State, and the Seminole Alliance, while their main enemies are the Haudenosaunee, Powhatan, and Nahua Empires.
Is this a world where the Americas ended up being the major powers of the world, and not Eurasia?

-Mixed. Cities on the lunar surface are visible from Earth now, but they don't exactly cover the surface. Terraforming on Mars is moving faster than expected thanks to new technologies and massive public interest in the project. Though Luna, Mars, and the Asteroid Belt were dominated by China, the United States, and Japan respectively, the US outlasted the other two and now is building up a monopoly on space. Everything besides those three is treated like Antarctica is today: cold and desolate, with the occasional research "colony."

Does India have any space colonies? They really should, given their large population.

Nicely done, though it's kinda funny for there to be a Kingdom of Comté (literally "county", from "free county", denoting the region as being ruled by a count beholden directly to the Emperor). Kingdom of Burgandy would be more appropriate.

Also, unless I'm mistaken, the Rhonish Kingdom might not contain any part of the Rhône.
Well at least not my fault since those were taken from the previous map.

I think the Rhonish Kingdom not touching the Rhône is an intentional reference to Ducal Saxony not being in the historical lands of the Saxons at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.