Status
Not open for further replies.
How are French-South African relations? I imagine the French would be sympathetic to South Africa considering all the messed up stuff they’ve done to Algeria

Proposed House of Commons Ridings for Northern New England
pPpY2QR.png

72UEeEv.png

HXxJqBN.png

JXWOPIF.png

How are French-South African relations? I imagine the French would be sympathetic to South Africa considering all the messed up stuff they’ve done to Algeria

France does maintain diplomatic relations with South Africa, one of the few major powers to do so. In recent years, as South Africa has shown signs of moderation, Paris does host a South African "Learning Centre," which functions as an embassy for Europeans to discuss matters with agents of the South African government. However, even in the past with the most heinous actions against Algeria, South Africa's actions were far worse at the time, and not even France was willing to negotiate with them.

Not to be too pedantic - bc the proposed ridings map is fantastic and I just spent about ten minutes looking to see which ridings I've lived in and which I know people in (I've lived in CT-5, CT-6, CT-47, CT-48, CT-28, and MA-46)- but is it just me or is the greater New Haven area misnamed? The riding that is roughly coterminous with Hamden is named Milford-Orange and the center of New Haven is not in New Haven Central but rather in New Haven East, and other little things like that. I don't want to be a big detractor though bc this is super cool!

Not to be too pedantic - bc the proposed ridings map is fantastic and I just spent about ten minutes looking to see which ridings I've lived in and which I know people in (I've lived in CT-5, CT-6, CT-47, CT-48, CT-28, and MA-46)- but is it just me or is the greater New Haven area misnamed? The riding that is roughly coterminous with Hamden is named Milford-Orange and the center of New Haven is not in New Haven Central but rather in New Haven East, and other little things like that. I don't want to be a big detractor though bc this is super cool!

Good eye, not sure how I messed up the Greater New Haven area. Thanks! I've fixed it. That's wicked awesome! I'm glad you were able to pour over them and gleam some stuff out of them! :D

Absolutely love the new riding series, and I love that you've decided to rename the Brooklyn/Boston ridings. Feels more authentic this way! Really cool, @Kanan !

Somalian War of Independence; 1986 general election; Somalian Civil War; Situation in the Horn of Africa 2019
gxv0Gkq.png

Somalia is a war-torn country in the Horn of Africa which has since 1988 been under the dictatorial control of Xaaf Caraale Aflax, who came to power in the 1988 Officer's Coup against the democratically elected government of Aurelio Orio Caynab, a mixed-race native born Somalian on the basis that he was an Italian plant to continue to keep Somalia under the control of Italy. Since the coup, there has been an ongoing insurgency against the government by the forces loyal to the elected government, which together form the Movement for Multiracial Democracy. The main group is the Movement for Multiracial Democracy, which promotes the return to democratic elections and is active in northern Somalia. The Independent Somalian Army had been active in central Somalia, and championed religious freedoms for the Islamic majority and the Catholic minority, but have since lost full control over their territory and are active as a guerrilla group. The United Front is the group active in southern Somalia that draws almost equally from the white and black population, owing to southern Somalia's higher concentration of minorities. The Democratic Liberation Front is composed of the Democratic Liberation Front, an All-African Movement organisation, which seeks to restore democracy and a break from the world order, much like Nigeria did in shunning the former colonial European powers. The National Arab Army is an Islamist faction that seeks to unite Somalis under one, Islamic, banner, but still supports the principle of free and fair elections. The Somalian Army, also known as the National Somalian Liberation Army, is the organisation under the control of General-President Xaaf Caraale Aflax, and has widely been understood to have kept power through fear, intimidation, and outright mass-murder. The Human Rights Crisis in Somalia is one of the world's most pressing conflicts.

Somalia gained its independence from Italy in 1986 after the brutal Somalian Independence War, which lasted for six years, filled with brutal fighting and even helped to bring the Collapse of Italian Fascism, which had ruled Italy with an iron fist since the 1920s. The war began with anti-Colonial riots in the white neighbourhoods of Mogadishu over poor economic conditions and the continued mistreatment by the colonial government. The riot quickly spread to the black majority, demanding better education, investments into infrastructure, and voting rights. Only two elections were ever held in Italian-ruled Somalia, which was restricted to the Italian soldiers who were stationed in the colony. Somalia had long been a political prison for opponents of the fascist regime, with anyone opposed to the government in the mainland simply jailed and transported to Somalia. As a result of this, spending in the colony was exceptionally low, and it was often neglected. The transported Italians often shared many of the same ideals as the native Somalian political activists, but all had to operate underground due to the dictatorial regime of the colonial administration.

As riots engulfed Mogadishu, The Royal Colonial Corps quickly began to fire into the crowds, and established the Zone of Protection in the city, and promptly bombed and burned the remainder of the city. The unrest spread across the colony, which caused the Italian government to deploy thousands of soldiers to the territory. With the recent collapse of Southern Rhodesia, the colonial administration reached out to former members of its army, along with South Africa, who then deployed forces and advisors to try and quell the unrest. The rebel forces coalesced into the Anti-Colonial People's Front, and found support from all the major powers. Italy, seeing this as an assault on her independence, doubled down on the war, eventually deploying over 350,000 men to the colony to keep order. During the brutal fighting, rebel or civilian was never taken into account by the Italians, who simply bombed villages and areas on suspicion of unrest. Despite losing on all fronts, Italy refused to surrender, and by the mid 1980s, it was known as the Great African Ulcer, and consumed nearly fifteen per cent of Italy's national budget in 1985. The failure to win the war, the near destitution across the country, and the collapsing economy resulted in the Freedom Marches across Italy. These converged on Rome, deposed Duce Giorgio Almirante, and led King Victor Emmanuel IV to appoint a non-fascist unity government for Italy's first totally free elections in nearly 60 years. The unity government quickly forged a peace with the FPAC, granting Somalia independence and reducing Italy's overseas holding to just Libia.

OPr6JqR.png
sBuykLm.png
5Yql9t5.png

bsL9ERS.png

So the somalian independence war led to Italy's own "carnation revolution"

I notice a trend (with spain) of the monarchs disposing dictators, I guess that Italy's and Spain's monarchies are quite popular today?

How is life for White Somali living under DLF or NSLA held territories? Has there been Exodus of White Somali, Christian Somali, and other minorities to MMRD held territories or Commonwealth-held?

Last edited:
There would be so many fascinating yet horrifying documentaries Ittl. Something like the documentaries unveiling the terrible secrets of North Korea but instead it’s South Africa or Isreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.