Hail, Britannia

Map of the Republic of Texas

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
I wouldn't mind seeing more of Texas!

Hope you like it :)

I'm pretty happy with it for my first finished map... Still playing around with styles.

rd293tC.png

p8dIDpb.png

Last edited:

I'm pretty happy with it for my first finished map... Still playing around with styles.
I like! My only qualm with this is the use of OTL names for cities, especially Dallas-Fort Worth. If it wasn't for the United States, we wouldn't have cities called Dallas or Fort Worth

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
I like! My only qualm with this is the use of OTL names for cities, especially Dallas-Fort Worth. If it wasn't for the United States, we wouldn't have cities called Dallas or Fort Worth

I researched most of them, hence why some have changed - Fort Belknap, Kalabwakin. But with Fort Worth and Dallas, when I researched their names there was no good reason to change from OTL.
Fort Worth was named for William J. Worth who served with the Texan Army after the Mexican War and established a series of forts to defend the nascent state.
The origin of Dallas' name is disputed IOTL, so it could easily still be named Dallas ITTL with the generally accepted in universe reason being named after Dallas, Moray, Scotland.​

2014 Texan presidential election

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Just tidying up something I first posted ages ago:

rd293tC.png

tyQ4TBa.png

The 2014 Texan presidential election was held on October 28, 2014 to elect the next President of the Republic for a six-year term. The presidential election was held concurrent with the elections for the 335 members of the House of Representatives, and 24 of the 48 members of the Senate.

Under the provisions of the Texan Constitution of 1876, the office is held for a single six-year term which is non-renewable, therefore incumbent President Rick Perry was ineligible for re-election. The centre-right Christian Democratic Party nominated Susana Martínez, the incumbent Governor of New Mexico, as their candidate, whilst the centre-left Reform Party selected former Representative Chris Bell of Matagorda. Since the abolition of the Electoral College in 1972, presidential elections in Texas have involved "electoral fusion", with the minor congressional parties backing one of the two main candidates and pooling their votes. The 1996 election was the only election since the 1970s to not involve some form of electoral fusion.

The right-wing conservative nationalist party, National Renewal, endorsed Martínez in the election. The left-wing Hispanic party, Liga Chicano, and the left-wing green politics Ecology Party , both nominated Bell despite misgivings from the Liga Chicano leadership about his candidature. The Native Alliance, the broad tent movement for the Texan First Nations which only runs in the state of Navajo, did not formally nominate a candidate in the election, although most voters supported Reform.

Despite being one of the closest elections in Texan history, Martínez was able to secure a majority of the popular vote in six states, as well as nationally, precluding the need for a joint congressional vote. Bell was able to secure majorities in the states of Nueces, Sonora and Navajo, and the Federal District, the traditional heartlands for Reform, and was able to reduce Martínez's lead to seven percent, the narrowest margin of victory since 1996. Bell's long-time public support for LGBT rights cost him votes, although his call for stronger trading ties with the United Empire was well received, whilst Martínez was able to deliver a consistent message on balancing the federal budget and reducing unnecessary expenditure, whilst distancing herself from the accusations of corruption and coercion by the Perry Administration. Susana Martínez was sworn in as the 32nd President of the Republic of Texas on December 9, 2014.

Last edited:

Looks really nice! Kinda sparse with cities but I can't blame you for not wanting to add hundreds of little city markers for >10K towns! Seeing Comancheria and Navajo again has really got me thinking about the status of Aboriginal Americans ITTL. Seemingly the Iroquois, some of the First Nations' confederacies in the Ohio country got legitimized as real jurisdictions, but are there still reservations? Those aboriginal states in Louisiana make it seem like some removal still happened.

I mean, Texas was still founded by ITTL Americans, they just happened to be running from the Crown instead of the republican Federal Government OTL :p

I researched most of them, hence why some have changed - Fort Belknap, Kalabwakin. But with Fort Worth and Dallas, when I researched their names there was no good reason to change from OTL.
Fort Worth was named for William J. Worth who served with the Texan Army after the Mexican War and established a series of forts to defend the nascent state.
The origin of Dallas' name is disputed IOTL, so it could easily still be named Dallas ITTL with the generally accepted in universe reason being named after Dallas, Moray, Scotland.​
Oh, so Worth still made his way down to Texas, even with no Mexican-American War? That was the reason he was sent to Texas in the first place in OTL. My problem was that he wouldn't even come to Texas, because of no Mexican-American War, but you seem to have explained it well. Same with Dallas

Oh, so Worth still made his way down to Texas, even with no Mexican-American War? That was the reason he was sent to Texas in the first place in OTL. My problem was that he wouldn't even come to Texas, because of no Mexican-American War, but you seem to have explained it well. Same with Dallas
Worth could probably have been one of these British-American Volunteers who came down to help during the Texan Border Wars, which basically fill the role of the Mexican-American War ITTL. And most of the settlers were still American and British, so Dallas totally could've made sense as a name for a settlement ITTL

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Looks really nice!
Well, now that's just amazing.

More to come in the same style, but going to keep experimenting

Kinda sparse with cities but I can't blame you for not wanting to add hundreds of little city markers for >10K towns!

Good point!

I've gone back and made some amendments/adjustments which includes some additional cities marked out. Hopefully it looks better. I might improve the map further, by adding highways? Maybe...

Seeing Comancheria and Navajo again has really got me thinking about the status of Aboriginal Americans ITTL. Seemingly the Iroquois, some of the First Nations' confederacies in the Ohio country got legitimized as real jurisdictions, but are there still reservations? Those aboriginal states in Louisiana make it seem like some removal still happened.

I hope to expand on this eventually but effectively:
  • Canada, New England, Missouri, Florida and Oregon use a system of "First Nations reserves" similar to the OTL Canadian system
  • Virginia and Carolina use a system of "Native American reservations" similar to the OTL American system
  • Columbia has a system of "First Nations reserves", but the province of Genesee Iroquoia traces its origins to agreements between White settlers and the Iroquois Confederacy, so could be seen as a successor to the Confederacy, with a substantial Aboriginal population.
  • Louisiana has a system of "Native American reservations", but the states of Wicihita and Sequoyah were created as Indian Territory following the Trail of Tears - which saw the eviction of Aboriginal Americans from what is now Carolina and Virginia - and these two states are home to a large Aboriginal plurality.
  • In the Ohio Country things are a bit more vague/fluid - there are reserves in the southern states of the Ohio Country, but then there is also Indiana and Anishinaabe - both of which are successors to Aboriginal reserved territories and their populations. There are a lot of people in the Ohio Country who are of mixed Aboriginal (various tribes) and White descent.
In Texas, there was a "Texan Trail of Tears" between 1839 and the 1850s which saw most (if not all) Aboriginals relocated west of the Rio Grande. In 1868 the government created the "First nations Reserve" - what is now the state of Navajo - and forcible relocated all ssurviving Aboriginals to the territory, which gained statehood in 1934. Although it's called the Navajo Nation, and Navajo is the lingua franca, the population are heavily creolised with influences from various aboriginal cultures along with some white settlers.

I mean, Texas was still founded by ITTL Americans, they just happened to be running from the Crown instead of the republican Federal Government OTL :p
Worth could probably have been one of these British-American Volunteers who came down to help during the Texan Border Wars, which basically fill the role of the Mexican-American War ITTL. And most of the settlers were still American and British, so Dallas totally could've made sense as a name for a settlement ITTL

Indeed, Texas is founded ITTL by republicans fleeing the Crown, as well as those descended from American Patriots who fled west after the 1780s.

Britain backed Texas from its Revolution, with military and material aid, and TTLs version of the Mexican-American War is the "Mexican War", which saw the British Empire support Texas and California against Mexico to gain their independence. So many British Americans end up in Texas during and after the war, and a lot remain, plus the Lone Star Republic is a British protectorate for decades until the 1930s/40s.

Indeed, Texas is founded ITTL by republicans fleeing the Crown, as well as those descended from American Patriots who fled west after the 1780s.

Britain backed Texas from its Revolution, with military and material aid, and TTLs version of the Mexican-American War is the "Mexican War", which saw the British Empire support Texas and California against Mexico to gain their independence. So many British Americans end up in Texas during and after the war, and a lot remain, plus the Lone Star Republic is a British protectorate for decades until the 1930s/40s.
Ah, that makes sense

Also, I'm in love with the detail you put into the Texas map, especially when you put in my hometown of Round Rock, plus Harker Heights, Copperas Cove, Lampasas, Georgetown and San Marcos

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Also, I'm in love with the detail you put into the Texas map, especially when you put in my hometown of Round Rock, plus Harker Heights, Copperas Cove, Lampasas, Georgetown and San Marcos

Thanks I really appreciate that :)

I'm still not quite happy with it the more I look at it... I'm probably going to go back and add some more labels for bays etc. Maybe lakes, reservoirs and perhaps rivers...

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
What was the Anglo-American Compromise all about?

I've been trying to think of an appropriate form to show this - but can't decide on the most appropriate format. Suffice to say:

The Anglo-American Compromise, also known as the Compromise of 1852 or the New York Compromise, was a series of political declarations and legislative acts enacted by the Imperial Parliament of the British Empire throughout 1852 that reorganised the governance of the British American colonies following the Republican Rebellion. It also set Oregon's northern and eastern borders, recognised the structures of government established in the Ohio Country, gave legal effect to provision in the 1848 Treaty of Toluca relating to California and Texas, and sought to address the causes of the rebellion. There were numerous acts that made up the Compromise, the most notable being the Second American Reform Act, which dissolved the government of the United Colonies, re-establishing direct rule from London whilst also recognising the home rule of the colonies - renamed provinces - within British America. The New York Declaration was a major event, in that it saw British American political leaders giving ascent to the Compromise, whilst also beginning the process of British American Confederation - that brought about the creation of the British American dominions and eventually the 1876 Acts of Union.

Last edited:
Any chance we could have a bit more on the Republican Rebellion? It seems like a pretty important moment which, IIRC, we haven't had an infobox on yet... (Obviously, if there has been one and I've missed it then please feel free to call me an idiot.)