AHC: post-1942 Luftwaffe 'sanity options'

Eh eh eh, I bait you all out as snails with a cup of beer.

A bit more details for proposals in the post #15.
Have DB to make the DB 605 with a big supercharger ASAP - instead of waiting until 1944, it should be available in early 1943 to matter. Big engine + big and efficient supercharger = a lot of power at high altitude, as it was the case with DB 605As and 605D engines. Move on the 2-stage supercharger design, cancel the DB 603.
Jumo - make a 2-stage version of the Jumo 211 with prop gun facility, the engine already has intercooler (on the 211J version) and low compression ratio to help out with power increase.
Your Jumo proposal is an earlier Jumo 213, isn't it? In fact, I always find a lot of trust in DB and a lot less in Jumo engine: why?

Copy the swril throttle found on the captured Mikulin engines, easy gain of up to 100 HP under rated altitudes.
What is this?

BMW - don't wait with improved supercharger for the BMW 801 (in OTL it was developed for the 801E in 1943, and entered service with 801S by late 1944). Gain of 200 HP from SL to 6 km, about 12-13% above that, or 20 km/h on Fw 190A and even more at high altitudes, that can be further improved with better intakes (again a simple OTL solution, that didn't took much traction).
I do not understand this too...

Also, it seems there is consensus only on fuel issue and also on its inevitability (
1) More and better-trained pilots. Granted fuel is going to be a problem.
2) More fuel.
), because synfuel plants require a lot of steel. But do you think this:
they converted some ships FROM coal to oil during 1930's, could they have gone other way? (a coal-oil slurry?)
i.e. coal-water slurry fuel for diesel tank engine and spare syn-plant for avgas (AFAIK, hydrogenation can be used to produce only a type of fuel, contrary to craking that refines oil in its parts) would work?

Last edited:
Your Jumo proposal is an earlier Jumo 213, isn't it? In fact, I always find a lot of trust in DB and a lot less in Jumo engine: why?

No, not the Jumo 213, but a major improvement for the 211 series so the engine power is competitive with what the WAllies will be throwing at luftwaffe.
I don't know why do you have more or less trust in one stuff vs. another.

What is this?

In short, a video by Calum Douglas: link
Long video, going into theory: link
If you want to read, not by Calum: link

I do not understand this too...

What exactly?
I'll elaborate a bit. Like all engine designers, people at BMW were making changes and improvement on their 801 engine. The BMW 801E was a major modification of the 801D, with improved, more efficient supercharger and improved intake leading towards the supercharger, among other things. Since it was judged that change from 801D to the 801E will cut engine production by a large margin, the 801E never entered production. By 1944, the situation was dire for Luftwaffe, so BMW mated the improved supercharger and intake from the 801E to the 'rest' of the 801D engine, thus creating 801S. The BMW 801S was installed in the Fw 190A-9 in late 1944. useful chart
External air intakes for supercharger were far less restrictive than internal air intakes used on majority of the Fw 190As, meaning less turbulent air enters the supercharger, and smaller pressure losses in the intake. All together it was beneficial for altitude power and thus altitude performance, but external intakes were draggy and impacted speed at lower altitudes. Check here for tests of the Fw 190/783.
External intakes also allowed for air filters to be installed, addition was especially needed for fighter-bomber and attack versions of the Fw 190.

As in trying to get Germany lose as soon as possible and me without getting shot - at least immediately:)
And it would work easily!

I don't know why do you have more or less trust in one stuff vs. another.

I was misunderstood: I found a lot of WI about DB engine and very few about Jumo: I thought there was a bias from you expert against Junkers engine and I did not understand why.
EDIT: I said "an earlier Jumo 213" because Jumo 213 fit an autocannon between the pistons, like you proposed for the Jumo 211.

In short, a video by Calum Douglas: link
Long video, going into theory: link
If you want to read, not by Calum: link

So, this is an earlier Jumo 213, with Mikulin's reverse-engineered variable-geometry blower inlet, isn't it?
EDIT: so an earlier Jumo 213 with central autocannon and v.g.b.i..

What exactly?
I'll elaborate a bit. Like all engine designers, people at BMW were making changes and improvement on their 801 engine. The BMW 801E was a major modification of the 801D, with improved, more efficient supercharger and improved intake leading towards the supercharger, among other things. Since it was judged that change from 801D to the 801E will cut engine production by a large margin, the 801E never entered production. By 1944, the situation was dire for Luftwaffe, so BMW mated the improved supercharger and intake from the 801E to the 'rest' of the 801D engine, thus creating 801S. The BMW 801S was installed in the Fw 190A-9 in late 1944. useful chart
External air intakes for supercharger were far less restrictive than internal air intakes used on majority of the Fw 190As, meaning less turbulent air enters the supercharger, and smaller pressure losses in the intake. All together it was beneficial for altitude power and thus altitude performance, but external intakes were draggy and impacted speed at lower altitudes. Check here for tests of the Fw 190/783.
External intakes also allowed for air filters to be installed, addition was especially needed for fighter-bomber and attack versions of the Fw 190.
This is more clear, thank you!. But I still do not understand if you suggest an internal or external intakes.

Last edited:
I was misunderstood: I found a lot of WI about DB engine and very few about Jumo: I thought there was a bias from you expert against Junkers engine and I did not understand why.

I'm perhaps more informed about ww2 technology than the average person, but I'm no expert.

Most of the what-ifs indeed revolve round DB engines, like the 'daimlerized' Fw 187 or/and He 100 entering service, or the Fw 190C. On the other hand, many DB engines have had often a long 'gestation' period, sometimes it took more than year to actually achieve original factory specs before engines destructed themselves in mid air. The DB 605A killed Marseille, for example, while it took more than a whole year of 1943 to remedy the reliability issues on the DB 603A.

So, this is an earlier Jumo 213, with Mikulin's reverse-engineered variable-geometry blower inlet, isn't it?

Yes for the later, no for the former - the Jumo 213 was a whole new engine vs. the 211 series, for example the 213 was 30-40% heavier than the 211, resulting with much increased RPM and power.
What I'm proposing is basically the German equivalent of Merlin 60/70 series - low weight & drag, high power at all altitudes but especially at high altitudes, easy to switch production to make these so 'we' canhave them by 1943.

This is more clear, thank you!. But I still do not understand if you suggest an internal or external intakes.

For Eastern front - keep the internal intakes. For other fronts, external intakes.

Yes for the later, no for the former - the Jumo 213 was a whole new engine vs. the 211 series, for example the 213 was 30-40% heavier than the 211, resulting with much increased RPM and power.
What I'm proposing is basically the German equivalent of Merlin 60/70 series - low weight & drag, high power at all altitudes but especially at high altitudes, easy to switch production to make these so 'we' canhave them by 1943.
So a Jumo 211 with central autocannon and v.g.b.i.: was it feasable? I think a v.g.b.i. was easy to be added, but where was Junkers going to find space for an autocannon?

For Eastern front - keep the internal intakes.
Less drag at lower altitude.

For other fronts, external intakes.
Better performance at higher altitude.

So a Jumo 211 with central autocannon and v.g.b.i.: was it feasable? I think a v.g.b.i. was easy to be added, but where was Junkers going to find space for an autocannon?

The early Jumo 211s have had a provision for the central autocannon, but since the 211 never gotten to power 1-engined fighters, the opening at engine back was replaced/'filled' with other engine anciliaries from the 211F on, and prop shaft was not hollow anymore. Receiver of the autocannon still goes behind the engine (as it was on the Jumo 210, 213E and DB engines), only the outer part of barrel is within the engine.

Japanese Ho-155 I 1943
30mmx115 235g 716m/s 450rpm 50kg
Ho-155 middle gun

Last,
Japanese Ho-204 1945
37mmx144 475g 710m/s 400 rpm 130kg
Final development of the IJA Browning short recoil expansion, for the Ki-46 III Dinah, as anti B-29 weapon

I'd guess that a 'big MG FFM' of, say, 25mm should be able to emulate the results of the Ho-155. No going overboard with gun's weight and size also allows for placing them within the wings of Fw 190, and it facilitates installation of multiple cannons in the nose where possible. Also as a Schrage Musik, where one does not need a whacking big gun to kill a bomber.
The OTL MK 103 can trade propellant charge for shell lenght/weight. The round with M-shell of 330g contained 110g of propellant for 860 m/s from a long barrel, compared with MK 108 with same shell that contained 30 g (!) of propellant for 500-525 m/s from a short barrel. The 450 g heavy API-T went 700 m/s with 98 g of propellant.
So we can probably go with 60-70g of propellant and 400g shell at perhaps 700 m/s for the MK 103 of historical 140 kg? RoF around 400 rd/min as per OTL gun.

BTW - Luftwaffe also operated most of the Flak pieces, those will also need a rehash.
Why? It avoided a lot of infight about "who man the gun between us and Heer?". It was also a good way to use foot divisions (dear God...Air Force infantry division...).
At least, two sub-Force (Defence LW with flak and interceptor Vs Attack LW with bomber and JaBos).

What my proposals can buy to the Luftwaffe 15-18 monhts after the start from winter of 1941/42? Probably a 'classic' day fighter force capable to for 670-700 km/h at hi alt, each fighter armed with 3-4 cannons, and more numerous than in OTL due to removing a lot of trash in early 1942. Long range Fw 190s probably. More numerous night fighters (mostly Bf 110s and Ju 88s; no Do 217s) capable for 550-600 km/h in full trim.
For 1944, jet fighters and bombers need to enter service in the West. I'd settle for minimaly 750 km/h 1-engined fighter armed with 2x30 mm in early 1944, 800 km/h by the end of 1944.

Bombers are still in dire need to overhaul, however. Jet bomber that can out-pace anything piston-powered for 1944 - something no worse than Ar 234. Until then, a proper piston-engined bomber is needed.

Why? It avoided a lot of infight about "who man the gun between us and Heer?". It was also a good way to use foot divisions (dear God...Air Force infantry division...).
At least, two sub-Force (Defence LW with flak and interceptor Vs Attack LW with bomber and JaBos).

'Rehash' in a sense of what improvements are needed. Since the investment in manufacturing of the AA guns is already made, the most needed improvement might be development and introduction of proximity-fused shells for 88mm and bigger guns. Radars need to be improved as much as possible.
I'd also introduce the 30mm AA gun ASAP, start with MK 101 and continue with 103 when developed.

Next step is AA missile, whether guided or not. Both will need proximity fuse, especially the unguided.

'Rehash' in a sense of what improvements are needed. Since the investment in manufacturing of the AA guns is already made, the most needed improvement might be development and introduction of proximity-fused shells for 88mm and bigger guns. Radars need to be improved as much as possible.
I am a fan of Flak Towers. But I think that 1942 was to late to develop valve glass thick enough to withstan AA Gs: maybe electrostatic fuze? Did they use valves? Or @wiking suggestion of cancelling time fuze to spare copper and going all for base-bleeding contact-fuzed precise shot.

Next step is AA missile, whether guided or not. Both will need proximity fuse, especially the unguided.
I am also a huge fan of unguided Wasserfall salvos against Doolittle's bomber boxes. Also, there was no need of thick valves for the proximity fuzes.

Last edited:
I know Germany lost on 7th of December 1941.
Rationality does not mean war-winning: a rational solution that simply stopgap the Allies enough for a white peace / nuked Berlin is exactly what I am looking for.

Then that's what I gave you. It might buy some time, it might not. But it's about the best that can be done.