WIP Map Thread

Red World QBAM.png

My WIP world map for the Hoi4 mod Red World. For those who don't know, Red World is an alternate history mod for Hearts of Iron IV that asks "What if the Soviet Union won the cold war?"; Europe has fallen to the Soviet order, the UAR survives until 2010 and the USA itself collapses in a similar fashion to OTL's Soviet Union. Currently. most of Europe is finished, with South America and Africa being the easiest to complete due to limited changes in the region; North America will probably be the hardest to map, as various successor and splinter states occupy the former US.

More information about the mod can be found on the wiki
https://red-world-mod.fandom.com/wiki/Red_World_Wiki

Mhm, would be "total unification" likely? Wouldn´t be Germany too strong then?

I believe that the mod creator's explanation behind Germany's unification is that the Soviet Union was far too arrogant; they did have a veto vote but didn't use it as they were overconfident due to their successes in Europe.

View attachment 504148
Here's a wip map of an Arabo-African Colonization of the Americas, but I don't have a name for the 2 continents (they're named differently ittl), so can y'all help with a name (the Aztec's are called Mexica or Atlantis)
Hi,
Like the idea but, would Eritrea really be one of the first to colonize the east coast?
If they are that into exploration might not Australia be a better bet for them?
More likely that the North African "Barbary States" would get there first- unless they're colonizing Europe? [after all there has to be a reason Europe is lagging behind]

Hi,
Like the idea but, would Eritrea really be one of the first to colonize the east coast?
If they are that into exploration might not Australia be a better bet for them?
More likely that the North African "Barbary States" would get there first- unless they're colonizing Europe? [after all there has to be a reason Europe is lagging behind]
Ethiopia actually colonized that, it's just that they named it after Eritrea
The Barbary states are currently colonizing S. America, which was the 1st place discovered by the Moroccans.
Europe is currently pre scramble atm, and andalusia and sicily being the only 'civilized' nations

I like you. Heres a preview pic of my global map (in development).

WX2ifvb.png

Awesome!

Just a thought: I noticed from this WIP and the other you posted on the map thread that the quality of the bathymetry shaded relief isn't as high as the quality of the land relief or the text, while it's just nitpicking, it's kinda noticeable when zooming, i think it would be a good idea to either find a higher resolution bathymetry base/generate a higher resolution one with a GIS software,

Just a nitpick, but these small things often make the difference between a professional looking map and an amateur looking one.

Awesome!

Just a thought: I noticed from this WIP and the other you posted on the map thread that the quality of the bathymetry shaded relief isn't as high as the quality of the land relief or the text, while it's just nitpicking, it's kinda noticeable when zooming, i think it would be a good idea to either find a higher resolution bathymetry base/generate a higher resolution one with a GIS software,

Just a nitpick, but these small things often make the difference between a professional looking map and an amateur looking one.

Bathymetric data is significantly more difficult to acquire than land elevation data, so the quality of global bathymetry (thats also accessible) is lacking relative to land. I use the Natural Earth dataset, which is specifically designed to be as seamless as possible. I will try a few things to try and bring it up to par however, thanks for the comment.

TWRDWBI WIP.png

I looked at the TWR DBWI and decided to make a world map based on the Europe map. Three-way Cold-War between the United States and it's Asian friends, the neo-colonialist Franco-British Union, and associated allies across the world, along with the Soviets and the West African Popular Republic tagging along with Indonesia.