The NextGen OTL Worlda Series

323 BC.png

323 BCE done! China could probably be improved, but during this time it was a mess which makes mapping it kinda hard. I wanted to add the date and title in the top left, but the typography that Hadaril uses for that wasn't the same I have, apparently.

We should make a map showing coastal/territorial waters

I think I've seen one posted/used a few times before in the map thread, though I haven't seen it in the old map series and I'd probably struggle to find it. I'm also not sure if it actually did depict the territorial waters, or if it was more of an aesthetic thing like how the older map threads would put outlines around various groups of island territorial holdings (which I guess is a thing we aren't doing anymore?). But I do think the map had a sort of outlining from the mainland too, and thus at least looked like it showed territorial waters...

But I can't really be of much more help than that in actually finding it... maybe someone else here has some idea of what I am talking about and has seen it too?

At some point for the 1444-1812 maps, we're going to need to apply the Iroquois, west Africa, Macaronesia, and Ottoman subdivisions patches on top of each other. I noticed the macaronesia, Iroquois and ottoman ones were made on maps that had neither of them, so we should integrate them all before we publish the maps.

At some point for the 1444-1812 maps, we're going to need to apply the Iroquois, west Africa, Macaronesia, and Ottoman subdivisions patches on top of each other. I noticed the macaronesia, Iroquois and ottoman ones were made on maps that had neither of them, so we should integrate them all before we publish the maps.

Working on that as we speak; I'm nearly done with all of that. Initially I thought I would be done by now but it turns out I still have a bit more left. I ended up having to backtrack and re-do a lot of India (for like the 4th time xd) and I need to re-verify some of my stuff on Africa.

The 5.0 maps include a revised:
- Mesoamerica
- India
- Southeast Asia
- Africa
- Macronesia

and incorporate all of the patches that have been posted here in the past few months, as well as more consistent rules on outlining, shading, etc.

Last edited:
By no means an expert but given the unnaturally straight line and curved border on the right that looks distinctly post-colonial, I would lean towards the one on the left as a more realistic extent of territory.

Last edited:
For southern Moroccan territories that stretch into the saharra I generally use an outline for parts of it, since it's almost entirely uninhabited. This also applies to Egypt, ottomans, etc.

This is currently how I have Morocco on the 1600 map.
upload_2019-12-4_13-58-23.png

And here's 1648
upload_2019-12-4_13-58-42.png

I'm almost done with revising 1648; I should be through 1800 by next weekend but no garuntees.

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-4_13-55-3.png
    upload_2019-12-4_13-55-3.png
    609 bytes · Views: 202
  • upload_2019-12-4_13-57-1.png
    upload_2019-12-4_13-57-1.png
    879 bytes · Views: 204
Last edited:
Also, if anyone is currently in the process of making patches, I can't guarantee they'll be integrated in 5.0 since I already backtracked like 4 times during their creation, and am really not keen on doing so again. Consistency between maps is an overarching goal of this series. If someone uploads a patch, I have to go through and make sure borders actually line up to how previous years would be (ex: parts of the Czech/Bohemian border with Germany hasn't changed in the past 400 years or so. If a patch comes along with a different version of that border, I have to go through and adjust that to fit the way it was in the previous year. This is time consuming). If anyone is currently working on patches, I'd wait for me to release all the 5.0 maps so you can work off of those as base maps.

@hadaril are there any new maps that you are doing for series 5.0?
i’m planning on doing 1871, 1885, and 1900 if no one else objects.

I don't plan on adding any new ones currently except for adding ones others have done; Go ahead with the 1871, 1885, and 1900 maps since those won't really conflict with anything I'm working on and the 4.0 maps are fine to use as bases. I'm mainly just going through pre-modern South Asia/Africa/Mesoamerica.