Status
Not open for further replies.
You fools! You're handing Drakia a win on a silver platter!
In all fairness, the US can probably wrangle an independent Judea and control over vast portions of Arabia from Drakia in a peace settlement. Perdue would go down in disgrace if he went with the status quo ante

Oh shit, those dice rolls had quite the fuckin affect. That twist is amazing and fits Klein's character well I think.

Oh the motherfucking audacity on this one. No one can fucking touch a single hair on his fucking head without reigniting a war that the Drakians will lose badly and the Americans will lose all control over by their unleashed military apparatus. Stoker has already had it demonstrated that only the consent of the international order prevents the scoping up of the Middle East at anytime, or nearly enough, and without the willing truce of the Arabians and Judeans and American Marines the Drakians have to fear the total denial of the Mideast's massive population and resources vis a vis most of post-genocided Africa either through independence or the devastation of a Drakian reconquest. And meanwhile the Perdue administration needs a "we definitely did not let these dudes get Bonded" treaty stat to keep the lid on the Klienists and not cause an attempted naval-reactionary insurrection.

This shithead has just guaranteed himself for life the position as Drakia's Quisling.

Possibly panicking, possibly calculating, Fleet Admiral Arthur Klein did the unthinkable.

Leaving behind a letter that accused the Perdue Administration of planning to put him to death on fake charges, he took a boat and a white flag and defected to the Drakian Empire.
WTF...This goes against most of the descriptions of the Man ITTL as a Patriot of the highest order...

Klein feels like a weird Bond movie character (a little bit of Bond with the "I take initiatives to save the world without my government's consent" and fighting cartoon villains in exotic lands ; a little bit of Bond villains with his schemes and defection and overbloated ego).

I didn't see that coming. I am eagerly waiting to see what happens next.

President Charles Perdue had wrestled with the Whig opposition, members of his own National Party, and his personal conscience before coming to a decision. If the civilian government of the United States retroactively authorized a war launched independently by a branch of its military then the result would be dangerous if not fatal to American democracy. Instead of a country where the military served the people, it would be a step towards a country where the people served the military and admirals and generals dictated foreign and ultimately domestic policy. Arthur Klein would not be allowed to become the American version of Shigeru Honjo, or even the American version of Julius Caesar (a triumphant return from the war followed by a successful bid for president was a possibility for Klein had the dice co-operated, with the right numbers you might have seen the Navy sailing into New York harbor and the Fleet Admiral stepping up to “save the Republic” from the threat of Geoism, Societism, and Central American guerillas). It was the "snakes'" victory in the Sinai that had made the decision possible- Klein was no longer undefeated.

I was already thinking few updates back that there seems to be some parallels to the IJA in the way how the US navy acted. This reminds me some discussions we have had in this forum in the past how Japan losing against Russia in 1904-1905 might have led to a healthier development of Japanese politics. The victory here, in addition increasing the prestige of US navy in general, would have probably brought them even more territories more or less under their control and they might have developed into an even more dangerous faction in American politics. That said, Drakia winning is a objectively worse thing, although it should be probably kept in mind that this clusterfuck wouldn't have even started if the navy wasn't so keen on starting their own private wars.

Last edited:
5BYR.jpg

Skallagrim

Banned
People who are acting surprised that a mega-patriot would do this should read up on Coriolanus. (Incidentally, my favourite Shakespeare play.) It is completely credible that a man of such a titanic ego, who has a self-conceived ideal of his country as a martial super-power, would defect when the civil government denies the realisation of that vision. In the mind of such a man, he is not betraying his country. His country has betrayed him-- and itself. That's how he sees it.

A while back, I suggested that Ameica should really watch out for what it could become. That its rampant militarism would inevitably be dangerous, and that in fighting a monster, it ran the risk of becoming a monster. I daresay this post proves my point, albeit by averting that scenario. Klein's actions show exactly what kind of a man he is, and if the dice had favoured him -- if his victorious fleet had come to "set America in order" -- then my grim imaginings of America's ATL future would no doubt have become reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.