Great Big Worlda Collaborative Project

What should the premise be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is it? For what I know, every single other region is rather horrifically Balkanized (save Europe or Indochina perhaps)
Well, by the time I'm done SE Asia should have about the same number of countries as OTL, including plenty of non-Westphalian entities. Looking at the state of Africa and that map of the middle East though...

North America started out rather balkanized, but has stabilized into what is shown on the map.
I plan to write some more background information on America soon

Well, by the time I'm done SE Asia should have about the same number of countries as OTL, including plenty of non-Westphalian entities. Looking at the state of Africa and that map of the middle East though...

Yikes! Ill balkanize it, fine.

Its ok, I just had trouble finding pre Islam ethnic regions, so I said, "Eh, empire."
Well, in keeping with the whole anti-imperialist theme, a thing to consider would.be to restore the pre-Hellenistic civilizations of the Middle East. Maybe have various Iranic powers fill the void. A fun twist could be to have Armenia as the primary Iranic nation. But that's just off the top of my head.

Well, in keeping with the whole anti-imperialist theme, a thing to consider would.be to restore the pre-Hellenistic civilizations of the Middle East. Maybe have various Iranic powers fill the void. A fun twist could be to have Armenia as the primary Iranic nation. But that's just off the top of my head.
Armenia might be a no, seeing as there's such weak imperialism the Indo-Europeans didn't even get that far

topography_rivers_styrofoam_boots.png

And its done. A total of 44 independent polities (note that I don't say nations) represented by 19 colours, compared with OTL ASEAN's 10 countries, and many more subnational entities. Gonna see if I can get a writeup done this week.

Last edited:
A little more progress. I hear concerns that the Bantu League is spacefilling, but hopefully the copious internal divisions allay those concerns.

africa.png

Would you say it's too balkanized? I don't want it to be unrealistic, but it is meant to be a lot of small states and some regional powerhouses all united in a large alliance.
I'd say it's pretty fine. Maybe a bit more than the rest of the world, but probably par for the course for Africa. The larger Bantu League itself would be represented on the Alliance Map MicroWorlda, so the clean maps would be up there.

Aurantiacis

Gone Fishin'
Would you say it's too balkanized? I don't want it to be unrealistic, but it is meant to be a lot of small states and some regional powerhouses all united in a large alliance.

I'd say its fine, really. All these little ethnic states would promote better peace, unlike the superimposed boundaries in Africa OTL.

Mideast.PNG

Middle East 2: Electric Boogaloo

Note: The red line that is the southern border of the African countries is not the actual border, just the southern border is further south.

Well, the Bantu League is done. Also, I'll probably add internal borders for Ethiopia and Khoisan statelets.

africa.png

Ndongo (Green)

Luba Empire (Gray) - ruthless, militaristic. Engaged in a battle for influence against the Fang.

Great Zimbabwe (blue) - an economically-focused state. Sells raw materials (metals from DRC-Zambia) to the Maravi and then finished products on the world stage.

Maravi Confederacy (red) - The industrial heartland of the Bantu League. Has developed numerous innovative techniques in the field of metallurgy.

Buganda-Kitara (light green) - Lake Victoria. To the east of Bugdanda is the Luo Empire

Rwanda (burgundy)

Kingozi Union (light purple in East Africa) - Kingozi is the pre-Arab name for Swahili. A customs union between states speaking Kingozi.

Pemba - The port metropolis of Pemba in OTL Mozambique exerts massive economic influence on the surrounding states.

Wouri Kingdom - named for the river. The far Northwest of the Bantu.

Fang Kingdom (dark blue) - mercantile

Aurantiacis

Gone Fishin'
upload_2019-11-26_13-5-38.png

Updated my East Asian map a bit more, and added a few more alliances and bigger Tibet.

Also before proceeding further, I really really want us to draft a good rough timeline on what happened, in order to avoid stepping on any toes, and the clashing styles of worldAs are a bit disorienting.

View attachment 505026

Updated my East Asian map a bit more, and added a few more alliances and bigger Tibet.

Also before proceeding further, I really really want us to draft a good rough timeline on what happened, in order to avoid stepping on any toes, and the clashing styles of worldAs are a bit disorienting.
I’d be interested in knowing what dates certain things were invented. Like the invention of the internet, people in space.

Also I suppose we’ll have to have someone go through and unify all the style and colors so it looks good.

A couple suggestions for the stylistic aspects of the worlda
  • International borders may be colored in RGB (51,51,51) rather than RGB (0,0,0) This makes it much easier to edit borders without accidentally deleting coastlines.
  • Numbering should be removed from the main worlda
  • It might be a good idea to cross reference our borders with the topographic worlda so it makes geographic sense
  • We should compile a colour scheme in a Google sheets spreadsheet
  • Overly smoothened out borders could be more squiggly!