The Man in the High Castle on Amazon Prime

The impression I get is that Smith's mantra of doing everything he did just to protect his family just ended up being a convenient rationalisation. Sure, he does want to protect them, but it's not like he was a footsoldier. By the time the series starts, he's been heavily involved in genocide and become a general in the SS and essentially their commander in Nazi America. In short, he did far, far more than the bare minimum to be seen as loyal and whenever he gains more power, he carries on as before and follows the Nazi line. No wonder Himmler took a liking to him.

I do wonder what happened to Goebbels. He gets name-dropped in the first three seasons and is mentioned as being Himmler's rival in the first. Then again, it's likely Himmler had him purged in the time that elapsed between season 3 and 4, especially since he's a lot more paranoid and unbalanced in the last season. One does get the impression that Himmler filled the higher ranks with his SS lieutenants. After all, it's Eichmann, not a Wehrmacht general, who briefs the high command on the invasion plan. And the three candidates to lead the subjugation of the western states are Eichmann, Smith and Goertzmann, all SS generals and creatures of Himmler. This is in keeping with OTL Himmler, who wanted the SS to become the Reich's new nobility. Now that Himmler's gone and a relative nobody has seized power, this may produce a backlash from the Party and/or the army. Since it's been established that power passes to whoever has the stronger battalions and can wipe out the opposition, I agree that there will be a bloody civil war at some point.

Given that Nicole Dormer's is Goebbel's 'niece', her arrest could have weakened him politically

Something worth noting. I just rewatched season 2, and judging by a background poster, it looks like the Germans got a man on the moon in 1959.

Finished this off tonight. It would have been better if it had ended with Smith's suicide, bearing the weight that he hates what he has done, he hates who he became, and hates that all he sacrificed still didn’t help him protect his family.

I also wish he had seen more throughout the series about the american military for the Whitcroft move to make sense. They did a nice job in the final season setting up how the Nazis got so many members of the US armed forces to join with the Germans. But you saw a few hints that those folks who switched sides might have regretted it or would have wanted to move against the Nazis at some point (notice the Omar Bradley reference).

I had some ideas based on O'Malley's suggestion, but I was wondering about the rest of the world. What would the map look like by 1980 (or even the year 2000 if we want to look farther ahead.)

I'd say it's quite likely that Germany would be having or have had a civil war by then, because at some point their leadership's penchant for palace coups and purges will get out of hand. Thus there could have been some rather significant changes in Germany's empire, especially if the civil war goes nuclear.

Agreed with most of review, there are a lot of interesting concept in this series that either ended up suddenly dropped in the background (the Jahr Null, Frank art serving as a resistance symbols, nazi spying in OTL) or being too suddenly introduced (the BCR).

Most of the global events of the later half of the season makes not a lot of sense. I mean, why the Japanese pull out so suddenly and agree on the Reich providing them oil, when they used an embargo as a weapon in the earlier season ? There was an interesting plot device to use in the form of an “American” puppet government set in place by the Japanese and both the BCR and the American Reich trying to undermine it, with the former knowing than a sudden collapse would lead to a Reich invasion and their extermination.

Same with Whitecroft, he seemed to be an interesting character but his first scene (shooting resistance fighters and pleading for invading the pacific States) introduce him as an hardliner, so why the fuck does he seems to have a sudden change of mind and reject Nazism in the end ?

If John Smith (IIRC) seems to agree that carpet bombing the West Coast is a bad idea and might makes the occupation very costly, why the fuck does he stick to the original “GeneralPlan America” after effectively becoming Führer of the US ?

And from where the fuck did this “Coup d’état in the Nazi Reich” plot device came from ? There was a good opportunity to have the same effect on the overall stories by using the idea of a powerstruggle between like, Old Guard Military and Jahre Null fanatics after Himmler assassination.

On the other hand, really liked the overall character development of Smith on a “personal level”. His last scene with Helen (and her last words) was very good. Kind of regret they didn’t played more with the idea of OTL, but I guess production was force to end the show with this season (and that Man in the High Castle: Interdimensional Portal War might have been a bit cheesy).

Will not comment the last scene as creator interview stating that “the spectator should interpret as they want” show a clear laziness on their part.

Good Show overall, really liked the attention they gave to the small background & atmosphere details, such as the nazi art-déco and the propaganda poster, made the universe feel very alive.

Episode 8: There is a holiday called ‘Reichsgiving.’

I was initially cold on the idea of the BCR being the dominant rebel group in the JPS (not to sound like a 'gamergate' type, it seemed more like it was put in to be 'woke' than plausible), but the idea has grown on me a bit. It makes sense that there would be considerable white-flight from the JPS to the Reich and considerable movement of black refugees westward. The 1940 population of California was 6.9 M. The black population of the US in 1940 was almost 13 M. It wouldn't take all that much of the black population fleeing west to give them local majorities in much of the state, particularly if many white Americans leave.

If the Japanese were smart about it, they could have had a very pliable subject population in the refugee blacks--a group of people already hostile to the white population, and of near-guaranteed loyalty when the alternative is the Nazis. But, apparently, they weren't.

The obviously-Soviet weapons and the fact that China is supposed to be a major threat to Japan in the 1960s raises too many questions about China. Honestly, the most plausible explanation is that Mao's China has its own portal through which its funneling lots of weapons and soldiers. Realistically, with the Nazis in complete control of Europe and America occupied, China should have disintegrated by 1950 under the strain of a decade of nonstop war and such things as the Henan Famine.

The immediate aftermath of Smith's death is likely a long power struggle and consolidation by a junta of generals in the reconstituted US Army. Probably Whitcroft in charge. It's to be noted, though, that between them, Smith and Goertzmann have culled the majority of recognizable charismatic would-be Fuhrers--Heydrich, Hoover, Rockwell, Himmler, Heusmann, all gone. The military junta is going to be a bit weak-kneed without someone like Smith to unite them. Whitcroft is the closest thing to such a figure--the conquest of the Neutral Zone makes him a war hero and someone around whom 'Americanist' Nazis can rally. If he avoids assassination, he can probably consolidate his position enough to complete his goal in a few years...

Assuming the Japanese don't extend their nuclear umbrella over the JPS, which they might. The BCR and their allies might realize just how unstable their position is, and sheepishly ask for that back in exchange for trade deals very advantageous to Japan.

Which brings me to my complaints about the season: As I said, the BCR grew on me, but they should have been built up longer. They should have done more than one good strike on an oil pipeline. Ideally, they should have been built up in previous seasons, but if this was a late idea, they should have spent a whole 10 episodes building them up as a threat to the Japanese. Maybe also explain the changed demographics of California as I suggest. The season should have been stretched another few episodes, maybe to 15, to allow for this and not make the Japanese Empire look like it has a glass jaw.

And that ending with the people coming out of the portal--that's just baffling. My own pet theory is that those are people who died in the Man in the High Castle timeline (in German camps and Japanese killing fields), but lived in other universes, but that's really not all that satisfying--why should they just be allowed to cross over? That could have used some build-up, or just been left on the cutting-room floor. A better ending, IMO, would have just been to follow through with toppling the Nazi American Reich and establishing some kind of real free government, even if that does clash with the BCR's stated goal of not being the old America--which is a good thing in the show, so admittedly it's a bit hard to square this circle.

But back to the good stuff: Sewell's performance as John Smith is still the show's best element. He brings such a pathos to the role that one almost forgets just how monstrous he really is. Almost. It didn't even occur to me until about a minute before Helen tells Smith to stop (the genocide) and he answer's "I don't know how" to stop and remember that, as Reichsfuhrer, he doesn't actually have to go through with building death camps. He's in charge. He's eliminated his opposition. He can scale it back--slave labor, deportation--he doesn't have to fire up gas chambers. Is he a committed Nazi? The show seems to lean toward no, that he's justified everything he's done with 'for my family.' But the fact that he doesn't stop calls that into question. Is he trying to keep some constituents in line--but who? Rockwell is dead and the Germans have given him autonomy. He doesn't answer to anyone. Everyone who knew about his misgivings except Goertzmann is dead, so there's no one he has to prove his ideology to. Does it just never actually occur to him? That's plausible--he is so engaged in his Nebenwelt project that he might actually not be giving the invasion much attention.

I wish there had been some meeting between Smith and Alt-Smith, but the show ruled that out last season.

His daughters were also played well, Amy in particular having the creepy vibe we should associate with Nazi children.

Childen is still the collaborator extraordinaire, just the right mix of sad, pathetic, and sympathetic.

Juliana...meh, she's still not all that interesting compared to the others. More interesting things happen around her than anything she does is interesting.

Kido's arc with his son was a satisfying end.

Thoughts on the aftermath (ignoring the portal-people and disregarding my hypothesis of Mao's China having its own portal):

By the mid-1960s, I expect Whitcroft to be solidly in command of a Nazi American Reich that includes the former Neutral Zone. A lot of the Jahr Null policies will be rolled back and a much more American-flavored Nazism will emerge. But they will be unable to push through into the Western States because those will have reentered the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere for its nuclear umbrella. Japan will have crushed the Chinese with reinforcements from across the ocean and have secured its position in Asia. Both them and the Nazis will have tested a hydrogen bomb, so a new cold war will settle into place. Nazi America will be a third power, kind of akin to OTL China or France--its own nuclear arsenal and geopolitical agenda (like China), but aligned with the Nazis (France was never really going to join the Warsaw Pact). The Germans are said to still be fighting military campaigns in the Urals, so some kind of Soviet government still exists--the Japanese will probably be supplying and arming that one after China is crushed, to keep the Nazis busy.

Sooner or later, the Nazis' habit of massacring their leaders in bloody coups is going to send them into an actual civil war, which will probably go nuclear and escalate to a global thermonuclear war. I predict that that will happen by 1980.

Totally agree with you on the BCR. The idea by itself was very good, as blacks in this TL would have both the number, the incentive and the “community” spirit to form an efficient Resistance nucleus.

However, the idea itself came literally from nowhere (and why didn’t they tried to attach it to Frank “inspiring” Resistance?), and they should have played more on the idea of them being the bigger fish in a the large pond of the various Resistance movement (there was only one sense in that sense with the Aztlan and Jewish fighter planning the defense with them).

I guess they wanted to present Bell as a strong (almost Mary Sueish tbh) character, but the naivete of the BCR ignoring the possibility of nazis rushing up to set up Death Camps if the Japanese pulled back was really annoying, especially after what happens in Denver earlier in the season.

Last edited:
Agreed with most of review, there are a lot of interesting concept in this series that either ended up suddenly dropped in the background (the Jahr Null, Frank art serving as a resistance symbols, nazi spying in OTL) or being too suddenly introduced (the BCR).

Most of the global events of the later half of the season makes not a lot of sense. I mean, why the Japanese pull out so suddenly and agree on the Reich providing them oil, when they used an embargo as a weapon in the earlier season ? There was an interesting plot device to use in the form of an “American” puppet government set in place by the Japanese and both the BCR and the American Reich trying to undermine it, with the former knowing than a sudden collapse would lead to a Reich invasion and their extermination.

Same with Whitecroft, he seemed to be an interesting character but his first scene (shooting resistance fighters and pleading for invading the pacific States) introduce him as an hardliner, so why the fuck does he seems to have a sudden change of mind and reject Nazism in the end ?

If John Smith (IIRC) seems to agree that carpet bombing the West Coast is a bad idea and might makes the occupation very costly, why the fuck does he stick to the original “GeneralPlan America” after effectively becoming Führer of the US ?

And from where the fuck did this “Coup d’état in the Nazi Reich” plot device came from ? There was a good opportunity to have the same effect on the overall stories by using the idea of a powerstruggle between like, Old Guard Military and Jahre Null fanatics after Himmler assassination.

On the other hand, really liked the overall character development of Smith on a “personal level”. His last scene with Helen (and her last words) was very good. Kind of regret they didn’t played more with the idea of OTL, but I guess production was force to end the show with this season (and that Man in the High Castle: Interdimensional Portal War might have been a bit cheesy).

Will not comment the last scene as creator interview stating that “the spectator should interpret as they want” show a clear laziness on their part.

Good Show overall, really liked the attention they gave to the small background & atmosphere details, such as the nazi art-déco and the propaganda poster, made the universe feel very alive.

Totally agree with you on the BCR. The idea by itself was very good, as blacks in this TL would have both the number, the incentive and the “community” spirit to form an efficient Resistance nucleus.

However, the idea itself came literally from nowhere (and why didn’t they tried to attach it to Frank “inspiring” Resistance?), and they should have played more on the idea of them being the bigger fish in a the large pond of the various Resistance movement (there was only one sense in that sense with the Aztlan and Jewish fighter planning the defense with them).

I guess they wanted to present Bell as a strong (almost Mary Sueish tbh) character, but the naivete of the BCR ignoring the possibility of nazis rushing up to set up Death Camps if the Japanese pulled back was really annoying, especially after what happens in Denver earlier in the season.

To be fair, the BCR did say that they never expected to be running the JPS and only wanted some kind of black Israel. It’s not so much ‘they didn’t see the Nazi invasion coming’ as ‘they didn’t actually expect the JPS to just give up so easily.’ Like a dog catching a car, only the car turns into a grizzly bear the moment the dog bites down on it. They had no reason to see that coming.

To be fair, the BCR did say that they never expected to be running the JPS and only wanted some kind of black Israel. It’s not so much ‘they didn’t see the Nazi invasion coming’ as ‘they didn’t actually expect the JPS to just give up so easily.’ Like a dog catching a car, only the car turns into a grizzly bear the moment the dog bites down on it. They had no reason to see that coming.
I think another character (Lemuel ?) mentioned to them that it’s the nazis, with their genocidal plans that should be their main worries, not the Japanese who are just an other occupiers/oppressor. Would have make more sense to have the BCR powerbase located in the Neutral, with an eventual japanese support when the latter want to cause trouble in the American Reich.

But TBH in this whole plotline, I’m more puzzled about Japan suddenly doing a total evacuation. OK, the scene with Kido and Smith seems to imply that they plan to hand it as a “poisonous gift” and hope the Reich to end up tangled in a nightmarish guerillas war. But on the other hand, the previous seasons stated that the oil flow from the Pacific States was vital to their war effort, and as I mentioned the Reich already played the “oil embargo card” before.

As with a most of the final season, it seemed that the writers had to rush for a conclusion and were decided to force some sort of “happy ending”.

I think another character (Lemuel ?) mentioned to them that it’s the nazis, with their genocidal plans that should be their main worries, not the Japanese who are just an other occupiers/oppressor. Would have make more sense to have the BCR powerbase located in the Neutral, with an eventual japanese support when the latter want to cause trouble in the American Reich.

But TBH in this whole plotline, I’m more puzzled about Japan suddenly doing a total evacuation. OK, the scene with Kido and Smith seems to imply that they plan to hand it as a “poisonous gift” and hope the Reich to end up tangled in a nightmarish guerillas war. But on the other hand, the previous seasons stated that the oil flow from the Pacific States was vital to their war effort, and as I mentioned the Reich already played the “oil embargo card” before.

As with a most of the final season, it seemed that the writers had to rush for a conclusion and were decided to force some sort of “happy ending”.

The poison pill theory doesn’t make much sense, unless you assume the Japanese are clueless as to the Nazis’ capabilities and intentions. They’ve already successfully carried out genocide over multiple continents, and they obviously have the means to continue this. The ability to hide among the general population was critical to the BCR’s success. That wouldn’t work in a scenario where people are killed for their race alone.

I'm sorry, but the more I think of it, the stupider the BCR was to include. As I said earlier, they're incredibly short sighted. It'd be wiser to wait out the Japanese rather than say "hey, let's try to get independence, hope the Empire recognizes a majority-black communist republic, and assume the Nazis don't send their armies across the Rockies to finally have access to the Pacific Ocean." I'd rather have the American Resistance (which btw, had many different races involved), which we had seen grow since Season 1, rise up against the Japanese and Germans and see a full-scale rebellion happen. Or straight up have them be the Black Panthers, who would actually be willing to work alongside other groups for the same objective (my eyes rolled to the back of my head when whatsherface said she won't work with white resistance members, like for God's sake you're literally trying to get the same thing. China did it in 1937.)

Another thing, the BCR taking over the airwaves in German America probably only hurt them more, considering how brainwashed the population is, it'd be a rallying cry against them and lead to more racism and hatred against them. Not sure how an organization with unrealistic goals and stupid leadership was able to evict Japan from the west coast.

Honestly, if the BCR did succeed in taking a city and Nazi America didn’t want to bother with the effort to retake it, they’d probably just nuke the city. That being said, I doubt they’d have to go through the effort. There will be plenty of whites who would collaborate with the Nazis. They had the experience of Asian overlords leaving them to the mercy of black separatists, who would either forcibly evict them from territory or rule over them, affording them no representation as possible. Putting up a tiny resistance movement against a rising, genocidal superpower? How did the writers think that is going to end?

Another sequel idea which omits multiverse stuff entirely: the utterly predictable happens. Some other Nazi higher up takes control of America after Smith’s death as Reichsfuhrer. After a period of mourning, he immediately resumes the war of conquest against the Pacific States, which rolls over the BCR/Resistance like it was nothing. The East Americans implement the Final Solution in the West, finding plenty of collaborators among the white population. A conquest of Mexico follows, and now Japan and Germany have to deal with a unified North American juggernaut.

I honestly kept forgetting that they were communist at all, aside from one mention of them abolishing property sarcastically.

Could've just called them the Black rebellion or African Liberation Front and it wouldn't have made much of a difference.

I honestly kept forgetting that they were communist at all, aside from one mention of them abolishing property sarcastically.

Could've just called them the Black rebellion or African Liberation Front and it wouldn't have made much of a difference.

I don’t think it was sarcasm. Elijah, at least, was open about his contempt for Bell’s bourgie homeownership ambitions and his dislike of luxurious accommodations.

Filming conflict iirc, he was scheduled to be in something else at the same time.

Ah alright then.

I think we just have to accept that the writers weren’t very good at naming factions.

I think it could be explained that the 'Black Communist Rebellion' is a name the Japanese or Nazis gave to them, while their REAL name is probably New African Liberation Front or something. That said, seeing 'Greater Nazi Reich' plastered all over walls and posters in the scenery was jarring. Names weren't this show's strong suit.
Honestly, if the BCR did succeed in taking a city and Nazi America didn’t want to bother with the effort to retake it, they’d probably just nuke the city. That being said, I doubt they’d have to go through the effort. There will be plenty of whites who would collaborate with the Nazis. They had the experience of Asian overlords leaving them to the mercy of black separatists, who would either forcibly evict them from territory or rule over them, affording them no representation as possible. Putting up a tiny resistance movement against a rising, genocidal superpower? How did the writers think that is going to end?

Another sequel idea which omits multiverse stuff entirely: the utterly predictable happens. Some other Nazi higher up takes control of America after Smith’s death as Reichsfuhrer. After a period of mourning, he immediately resumes the war of conquest against the Pacific States, which rolls over the BCR/Resistance like it was nothing. The East Americans implement the Final Solution in the West, finding plenty of collaborators among the white population. A conquest of Mexico follows, and now Japan and Germany have to deal with a unified North American juggernaut.
You could probably explain it away by just saying the Nazi Americans nuke the area of the portal once they hear that the Resistance have taken it over. Rather than risking the possibility of fighting a multiversal war, they just bomb the area to be sure. I'm not sure exactly where its located, but it doesn't look to be a populated area, so a surgical strike would do, to prevent any multiversal threats.

It'd be wiser to wait out the Japanese rather than say "hey, let's try to get independence, hope the Empire recognizes a majority-black communist republic, and assume the Nazis don't send their armies across the Rockies to finally have access to the Pacific Ocean."

Yes, thank you! The BCR was asking to be exterminated en-masse with their unrealistic goals of black nationhood.

(my eyes rolled to the back of my head when whatsherface said she won't work with white resistance members, like for God's sake you're literally trying to get the same thing. China did it in 1937.)

To be fair, the Second United Front was not all sunshines and rainbows. The Nationalists and the Communists both knew the alliance would be temporary and it would be business as usual when the Japanese were kicked out of China. Hell, the Communists deliberately let the Nationalists suffer the brunt of the war so they could build up for after the war.

Not sure how an organization with unrealistic goals and stupid leadership was able to evict Japan from the west coast.

If it weren't for the war in China, I doubt the BCR's attack on the Crimson Pipeline would've hurt Japan that much.

Yes, thank you! The BCR was asking to be exterminated en-masse with their unrealistic goals of black nationhood.

It's particularly silly that Wyatt has to tell the BCR that if they succeed at getting the Japanese to leave, the Nazis will be after them and they'll be screwed on their own. So...the genocide survivors need to be told the people who committed genocide against them will launch an invasion to finish the job if the present group of totalitarian, but so far non-genocidal overlords depart.

On the one hand, I like the BCR in principle, especially since the Resistance of the first two seasons was either useless or plain harmful, but on the other so much about them makes no sense. I get the impression the writers wanted the story to end on an uplifting note, as much as that is possible in a world where Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan continue to exist as superpowers, but in their attempt to do so, they did not think things through. Realistically, I do not believe the BCR would survive the end of season 4 for long. From a narrative standpoint, the decision to have them never fight the Nazis is also a bit strange.

Agreed that the BCR didn’t have much of a plan beyond getting Japan to leave, but really that is pretty common among revolutionary groups. It’s much harder to build and sustain than to tear down.

I think the Japanese made the right call in walking away. They did the math and figured that holding China was far more important than holding California. The BCR could of course had their cake and eaten it too by being willing to have their own state within the Japanese empire.