Status
Not open for further replies.
Now for something cursed

rick santorum.png

I'm also retconning the Frankie Campuzano infobox, mainly due to a change in the list of US Presidents I have for background lore which I'll release eventually. I'll make a new Campuzano infobox soon enough though

Deleted member 107125

Sorry for the underwhelming update today, I've been feeling kinda down lately so my work has been more sporadic. But here's something

View attachment 503396
Not underwhelming at all! Life always gets us down- including myself, and it’s amazing that you were able to put all this together! Also your graphic design skills have improved significantly

Not underwhelming at all! Life always gets us down- including myself, and it’s amazing that you were able to put all this together! Also your graphic design skills have improved significantly
Thanks! And my graphic design skills are still shit, the only one of those logos I designed myself was Mileikowsky's, Santorum's and Chafee's are from their respective OTL 2016 campaigns

Sir Joseph Chamberlain, 1st Prime Minister of Patagonia
Here's the first Prime Minister of Patagonia, Sir Joseph Chamberlain. I will try and do infoboxes for all 5 of his children whose names are in the infobox, but that might be a bit of work

sir joseph chamberlain.png

How is he seen today?
Moving this over to this thread so all my lorebuilding for this TL can be in one place

Since he was part of a defunct centrist party people on both sides of the spectrum love and hate him in equal measure in relation to each other. People praise him for his role in uniting the Patagonian colonies into a federation, emulating Canadian Confederation and helping reinforce the precedent for Australian Federation some 16 years later, and basically being the John Macdonald or Edmund Barton of Patagonia. But people also criticize him for being a sais, a word literally meaning "Englishman" in Welsh but meaning the equivalent of "carpetbagger" in Patagonian English, referring to Englishmen who moved to Patagonia to take advantage of business opportunities. Many on the left also criticize him for being very pro-capitalist. But overall, the general Patagonian public views him favorably. Not with as much hero worship as Americans view George Washington, but he is viewed as the primary "father of the Federation"

Also special thanks to @Turquoise Blue for helping me with the Welsh word there

What’s the situation for native Patagonians like?
They mostly live in the interior but there are almost no notable indigenous-majority towns, and unfortunately there are also no indigenous-majority House of Commons ridings. There is one indigenous MP though, who also happens to be a woman, named Rhosyn Salpoole, but I'll get into some detail about her once I release the full 2019 election results. There are also a handful of MPs who have partial indigenous ancestry who don't identify as indigenous though. Indigenous Patagonians also unfortunately usually more impoverished on average than white Patagonians, but this is slowly starting to improve

They were historically mistreated by the government and white settlers alike, as in most settler colonies. Nothing quite on the level of Canadian residential schools, but it was not nice for them by any means. Their population is slightly higher than OTL Patagonia, mainly due to the Selk'nam genocide never happening, so there's a good amount of Selk'nam still alive in the province of Tierra del Fuego

Conditions are improving significantly for indigenous Patagonians but there's still a long way to go

The largest surviving indigenous groups by far are the Mapuche and Tehuelche (both retaining their Spanish exonyms in English ITTL), with the Selk'nam having a significant presence in the province of Tierra del Fuego

What’s the situation for native Patagonians like?
They mostly live in the interior but there are almost no notable indigenous-majority towns, and unfortunately there are also no indigenous-majority House of Commons ridings. There is one indigenous MP though, who also happens to be a woman, named Rhosyn Salpoole, but I'll get into some detail about her once I release the full 2019 election results. There are also a handful of MPs who have partial indigenous ancestry who don't identify as indigenous though. Indigenous Patagonians also unfortunately usually more impoverished on average than white Patagonians, but this is slowly starting to improve

They were historically mistreated by the government and white settlers alike, as in most settler colonies. Nothing quite on the level of Canadian residential schools, but it was not nice for them by any means. Their population is slightly higher than OTL Patagonia, mainly due to the Selk'nam genocide never happening, so there's a good amount of Selk'nam still alive in the province of Tierra del Fuego

Conditions are improving significantly for indigenous Patagonians but there's still a long way to go

The largest surviving indigenous groups by far are the Mapuche and Tehuelche (both retaining their Spanish exonyms in English ITTL), with the Selk'nam having a significant presence in the province of Tierra del Fuego
Oh, and another thing I've decided since my last post: there was exactly one Prime Minister with indigenous ancestry, Sir Llewellyn Jellico, although it was only in trace amounts. He also had some Chilean ancestry

Status
Not open for further replies.