Look to the West Volume VII: The Eye Against the Prism

A question from earlier: Now that the Rej of Peru is a Bourbon and essentially inherited that position from his father, would we get certain Zonas becoming hereditary? In particular I think the Eternal State comes into being more as an evolution of the Ottoman Empire than as a revolution.

A question from earlier: Now that the Rej of Peru is a Bourbon and essentially inherited that position from his father, would we get certain Zonas becoming hereditary? In particular I think the Eternal State comes into being more as an evolution of the Ottoman Empire than as a revolution.

Hereditary positions, nepotism and merit being extremely subjective (and subject to circumvention by money) are entirely natural human traits... ;)

I'm not sure the Eternal State is actually part of the Combine. As for the Rejes, they're supposed to rotate regularly, and either way Alfarus holds the keys to the kingdom regardless.

Why do people think that the Eternal State and Danubia are Societist? If someone could point me to a source I would be very grateful, because at the moment I don't recall when it was mentioned.

Why do people think that the Eternal State and Danubia are Societist? If someone could point me to a source I would be very grateful, because at the moment I don't recall when it was mentioned.

Here:

https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...he-west-volume-v-to-dream-again.354968/page-8

Scroll down to the entry on Ragusa/Dubrovnik - you'll note that it's neighbours (implied to be Danubia and the Eternal State) were both part of the same power bloc, and that the Diversitarians were propping it up.

I don't know the exact source for the Eternal State but Danubia has been mentioned to have a reformist Vienna School of Societism, and German veterans of the IEF were mentioned to go to Danubia to contribute to the project.

upload_2019-11-20_22-32-13.png

Last edited:

Thande

Donor
I suppose that Thande's inspiration for Novalatina is actually Tolkien's Black Speech, except Novalatina is uglier.
Really I wanted to use Esperanto - that's one of the most Societist things from OTL - but that would obviously have been far too anachronistic to justify. Mindful of Bill Bryson's description of Esperanto as "looking vaguely like a cross between Spanish and Martian", that's kind of what I've tried to do with Novalatina - mostly a halfway house between Latin and Spanish, but when I have to make a decision whether to use a C or a G or whatever, go for whichever one looks strangest.

On reflection, I've just realised where I first got the idea - a science fiction novel I wrote in about 2002, where I wanted to nick the Spanish ranks from Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson's "The Butlerian Jihad" but change them a bit, so rather than primero, segundo, tercero I used primerus, segundus, tercerus...which just looks weird. A combination of that with Star Trek authors who'd used Latin Primus etc for Romulan ranks (because they're Romans IN SPACE).

Anyway, if I can be forgiven one annoying request:

Stand by for incoming brand demolition but:

Those of you on The Twitter. I won't pester you to like and share every single thing I post on the SLP Twitter (but please do if you want to) but can I make a general request to everyone on there to like and share the pinned tweet with a link to our Goodreads page (below)? If any of them needs to be seen by a wider audience, it's that one.

https://twitter.com/SeaLionPress/status/1193914332968558592

Really I wanted to use Esperanto - that's one of the most Societist things from OTL - but that would obviously have been far too anachronistic to justify. Mindful of Bill Bryson's description of Esperanto as "looking vaguely like a cross between Spanish and Martian", that's kind of what I've tried to do with Novalatina - mostly a halfway house between Latin and Spanish, but when I have to make a decision whether to use a C or a G or whatever, go for whichever one looks strangest.

On reflection, I've just realised where I first got the idea - a science fiction novel I wrote in about 2002, where I wanted to nick the Spanish ranks from Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson's "The Butlerian Jihad" but change them a bit, so rather than primero, segundo, tercero I used primerus, segundus, tercerus...which just looks weird. A combination of that with Star Trek authors who'd used Latin Primus etc for Romulan ranks (because they're Romans IN SPACE).

Ok, Thande, you asked for it...

How would one say "my hovercraft is full of eels" in Novalatina? :winkytongue:

Will the Eternal.State and Danubia try anything similar? Turco-Arabic or Danubian Latin?

IIRC, the Danubians were trying to form some kind of mashup language for their military. Could be an expansion of that...

Just imagine German-Hungarian-Romanian-Czech-Slovak-Slovene-Italian-Serbocroat