Hail, Britannia

States of Carolina

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
A bit of housekeeping, plus an opportunity to show off some flag designs :)

rd293tC.png

Carolina is a federation of seven states, all of which are self-governing and share sovereignty with the federal government. Six of the states are located on the North American mainland, while the state of the Bahamas is an archipelagic state, covering the 14,000 square kilometres of the Lucayan Archipelago to the southeast of Georgia in the Atlantic Ocean. At the time of the creation of the Dominion of Carolina in 1858, there were the six states of Albemarle, Clarendon, Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama and Mississippi, all of which were former British American colonies. The Bahamas joined the dominion in 1911 as the seventh state. Under the Constitution of Carolina, the states have plenary legislative power except on matters reserved for the federal or imperial parliaments, however since the 1960s, the Carolinian federal government has amended the constitution to remove several powers from the states, notably voting laws and electoral redistricting, as well as control over state education and healthcare providers. The Bahamas are a notable exception, and retain significant control of local issues compared to the mainland states. The shift from a confederal model of the early constitution to the more unitary system of the late 20th century coincided with the Civil Rights movement, where some state governments were reluctant to end racial segregation, and the federal and imperial governments took steps to ensure compliance with the 1978 Civil Rights Acts.

BP93cvq.png

YvPE5UE.png

4MPr3NO.png

Last edited:

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Is there still a prison farm in Georgia, near Florida, with a guard dog that can track anyone down? :p

I don’t get the reference... Prison Break?

I think you mean six.

I do indeed :)

Why are the Bahamas not part of Florida?
IIRC, they chose Carolina over Florida because Carolina is Anglophone.

The movement to incorporate the Bahamas into a dominion wanted an anglophone federal dominion - so either Columbia or Carolina. Florida is majority Hispanophone and is a unitary dominion, so there weren't really any provisions for the anglophone Bahamas to join whilst retaining local control.

Plus, Carolina had an historic claim to the islands under colonial charters.

Who's the current Monarch of Hungary?

József IV Károly of the Hungarian branch of the House of Habsburg-Lorraine. He's the second King of Hungary since the restoration of the monarchy after the end of the Cold War, suceeding his father, József III Árpád, upon his death in 2017.

Whats the Chinese Political Party system like? With Li Kequiang as the speaker, I assume that the current ruling party is a Centre-Left party? (might be wrong it's hard to tell the actual political beliefs of CPC members)

The Chinese political party system is dominated by two humongous broad-tent politicla blocs - Progress & Development and the United Workers’ Front - the former is a broadly centre-right liberal conservative bloc, whilst the UWF is a centre-left socially liberal and democratic worker's alliance. There are a myriad of smaller parties, but the Chinese political landscape looks very similar to that of the OTL USA.

where is the british film industry? is it based out of london? new york? is it still in la somehow?

Lei did mention something about this bit don't think he ever formalised it in a post;

I really need to do a post about the North American film industry ITTL...

Hollywood is still a major base for film companies, and is one of the areas of California where English is the majority language. But I was thinking OTL Fort Lee, New Jersey (needs a new name), Picture City, Florida and Cedar Park, Texas are all centres of the film industry in North America.

Hollywood in LA still biggest, but I would imagine other major film areas include london, and Hong Kong catering to their Asian audience. And outside the English speaking/UKE areas, bollywood in India and japan as otl at a guess

Lei did mention something about this bit don't think he ever formalised it in a post;

Hollywood in LA still biggest, but I would imagine other major film areas include london, and Hong Kong catering to their Asian audience. And outside the English speaking/UKE areas, bollywood in India and japan as otl at a guess
wot no Nollywood?

Neither was Hollywood, till Edison and his bully boys drove companies that would not use his films and cameras out of New Jersey.

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Any chance we could get a world map with all the countries labeled?

I'm working on completing the retcons, including the SVG version of the world map.

I'd really like to attempt an atlas-style map like @Kanan has done for Our Fair Country... So maybe :p

where is the british film industry? is it based out of london? new york? is it still in la somehow?

Wait, Cedar Park is a center of the North American film industry? How'd that happen? I live right next to Cedar Park, and it ain't anything special
Neither was Hollywood, till Edison and his bully boys drove companies that would not use his films and cameras out of New Jersey.

Yep, as I outlined before:

I really need to do a post about the North American film industry ITTL...

Hollywood is still a major base for film companies, and is one of the areas of California where English is the majority language. But I was thinking OTL Fort Lee, New Jersey (needs a new name), Picture City, Florida and Cedar Park, Texas are all centres of the film industry in North America.

Cedar Park became the home of the Texas film industry partly due to its location close to the capital. IRL I just picked an Austin suburb at random...

wot no Nollywood?
Probably still a thing. Probably Tollywood too.

Nollywood isn't a thing, as OTL Nigeria is divided amongst five countries ITTL.

Wollywood - representing the West African film industry - exists though.

I love your use of the names Albemarle and Clarendon. I kind of wish they were used IOTL.

Thanks :) I really like them as state names, and they have an OTL basis in the original Carolina colonies.

Last edited: