Should we change this title to "The Big 4 comics industry"

• Yes

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Yes but it will have to change when Image comics is formed?

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • No Fawcett comics survives is a good title

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In 1972 Atlas Comics forms their own British publishing arm, AtlasUK (under the corporate name Magazine Management London Ltd) officially becoming major competition with Fawcett Enterprise in overseas sales

Last edited:
In our timeline Victor Fox sold the rights to most of his properties to Charleton just to spite DC over their lawsuit for Masterman. Charleton didn't really use them except for Blue Beetle. If DC attempts to use them it could be quite messy legally. Charleton might rush out an ashcan edition to keep the copyright.

In our timeline Victor Fox sold the rights to most of his properties to Charleton just to spite DC over their lawsuit for Masterman. Charleton didn't really use them except for Blue Beetle. If DC attempts to use them it could be quite messy legally. Charleton might rush out an ashcan edition to keep the copyright.

If Charlton still has them, seeing as they ARE in dire straights ITTL, maybe they SHOULD start using their Fox properties to stay in buisiness. It'd allow them to stay in the game at any rate. At least until they can build their universe a bit more.

Fawcett comics survives
PSX_20191111_104829.jpg

In January of 1972 Frank Frazetta brought a monster hero commission to Fawcett
Steve Ditko decided that he could introduce him in the Ibis comics and he and Otto Binder worked on a story in issue 78

View attachment 501520
In January of 1972 Frank Frazetta brought a monster hero commission to Fawcett
Steve Ditko decided that he could introduce him in the Ibis comics and he and Otto Binder worked on a story in issue 78

Master Man ought to be reintroduced at this point. After the failure to shut down Captain Marvel, Fawcett is probably untouchable as far as DC is concerned. Also, any word on Devil's Dagger yet?

Master Man ought to be reintroduced at this point. After the failure to shut down Captain Marvel, Fawcett is probably untouchable as far as DC is concerned. Also, any word on Devil's Dagger yet?
Devil's Dagger will be introduced in the pages of Mr. Scarlet this year. While Masterman's title will use for Captain Nazi

Devil's Dagger will be introduced in the pages of Mr. Scarlet this year. While Masterman's title will use for Captain Nazi

If it's Ditko doing the design, maybe she could be a recolour of this.

One last thing I should mention. Aside from their Fox Assets, Charlton also has two other characters they can use. The original Yellowjacket and Zaza the Mystic. Maybe they could use them and bring back Mr. Muscles too.

Speaking of Charlton, I want to go off on a small tangent and explain why I think that they are extremely important to the industry ITTL. To put it simply, Charlton here is the comics version of Rocky. They are the underdog of the industry and up until recently, have been barely clinging to the edge of bankruptcy. Yes, they have a lot of characters to go on, even without Ditko's question and Ted Kord. In fact, because there's no Ted Kord ITTL, Dan Garrett's Blue Beetle has effectively become more important to the company, essentially becoming their answer to ''Superman.'' Meanwhile, Charlton has two major assets under its belt with Kings Syndicate and of course, the Fox characters that, hopefully, they WILL be using soon. What's more, their aesthetic is very much ''Neo-Pulp'' for lack of a better term. The artwork, the Phantom-esc appearance of the Blue Beetle, The way they establish a more grounded and realistic tone for their world while still keeping it fantastical, characters like Nightshade, Peter Cannon, Sarge Steel and The Prankster (Maybe renamed) conjuring up images of The Domino Lady, Doc Savage, G-8 and Buck Rodgers respectively, their villains, with the exception of the teen villain ''Sinistro'' reflecting that too. Plus the previously mentioned Kings Features bunch being and hopefully STAYING part of that larger verse.

Basically, this kind of uniqueness is why Charlton deserves to survive. Their presence not only encourages diversity in stories but also keeps the other Big Three from creating too big a monopoly and really, they deserve to be on their level anyway. The best thing Steve Ditko ever did for Charlton Comics in this timeline, was leaving early. It allowed them to establish their own identity.

But the only way they can is to start using those underused assets from Kings and Fox. The reintroduction of Stardust, Wonder Man, Purple Tigress, The Dart, US Jones, Green Mask and The Flame, (Maybe Delilah, Sampson's Daughter) as well as bringing the defenders of the Earth and the rest of the Kings heroes into the larger story. Maybe, and this is just a suggestion, they could retcon the Fox Cop Blue Beetle to be Dan Garrett Sr, the current Dan Garrett's dad and the original Blue Beetle of the 40s. Maybe even do reprints of the original Golden Age Daredevil stories, like the one about him fighting Hitler. I would even support and endorse the idea of Black Lightning becoming the company's first-ever Black hero.

Last edited:
If it's Ditko doing the design, maybe she could be a recolour of this.

One last thing I should mention. Aside from their Fox Assets, Charlton also has two other characters they can use. The original Yellowjacket and Zaza the Mystic. Maybe they could use them and bring back Mr. Muscles too.

Speaking of Charlton, I want to go off on a small tangent and explain why I think that they are extremely important to the industry ITTL. To put it simply, Charlton here is the comics version of Rocky. They are the underdog of the industry and up until recently, have been barely clinging to the edge of bankruptcy. Yes, they have a lot of characters to go on, even without Ditko's question and Ted Kord. In fact, because there's no Ted Kord ITTL, Dan Garrett's Blue Beetle has effectively become more important to the company, essentially becoming their answer to ''Superman.'' Meanwhile, Charlton has two major assets under its belt with Kings Syndicate and of course, the Fox characters that, hopefully, they WILL be using soon. What's more, their aesthetic is very much ''Neo-Pulp'' for lack of a better term. The artwork, the Phantom-esc appearance of the Blue Beetle, The way they establish a more grounded and realistic tone for their world while still keeping it fantastical, characters like Nightshade, Peter Cannon, Sarge Steel and The Prankster (Maybe renamed) conjuring up images of The Domino Lady, Doc Savage, G-8 and Buck Rodgers respectively, their villains, with the exception of the teen villain ''Sinistro'' reflecting that too. Plus the previously mentioned Kings Features bunch being and hopefully STAYING part of that larger verse.

Basically, this kind of uniqueness is why Charlton deserves to survive. Their presence not only encourages diversity in stories but also keeps the other Big Three from creating too big a monopoly and really, they deserve to be on their level anyway. The best thing Steve Ditko ever did for Charlton Comics in this timeline, was leaving early. It allowed them to establish their own identity.

But the only way they can is to start using those underused assets from Kings and Fox. The reintroduction of Stardust, Wonder Man, Purple Tigress, The Dart, US Jones, Green Mask and The Flame, (Maybe Delilah, Sampson's Daughter) as well as bringing the defenders of the Earth and the rest of the Kings heroes into the larger story. Maybe, and this is just a suggestion, they could retcon the Fox Cop Blue Beetle to be Dan Garrett Sr, the current Dan Garrett's dad and the original Blue Beetle of the 40s. Maybe even do reprints of the original Golden Age Daredevil stories, like the one about him fighting Hitler. I would even support and endorse the idea of Black Lightning becoming the company's first-ever Black hero.
  • Gene Colan is on Mr. Scarlet at this time so her outfit will resemble Black Widow
  • BlackWidow-Perez.gif
  • You make a strong argument for Charlton comics survives I may alter my plans
  • Let's say Ted Kord becomes the new Yellow Jacket ITTL
  • YellowJacket01-Robbins-Urban.gif

• Doc Savage is already at Atlas by this point

Last edited:
Aside from their Fox Assets, Charlton also has two other characters they can use. The original Yellowjacket and Zaza the Mystic. Maybe they could use them and bring back Mr. Muscles too.

Charlton comics also needs a TV series of some kind to get the Normies attention to their comics

• Gene Colan is on Mr. Scarlet at this time so her outfit will resemble Black Widow
  • View attachment 501563
  • You make a strong argument for Charlton comics survives I may alter my plans
  • Let's say Ted Kord becomes the new Yellow Jacket ITTL
  • View attachment 501566
  • Doc Savage is already at Atlas by this point

• I like it. Still hope she gets some king of stabbing power for her hands.
  • Glad I could make such an argument. Hopefully, you do change your plans and Charlton can not only survive but also find a nice Parent Company to take it in someday. (Might I suggest Fox?)
  • Is that even possible at this point? Matt Murdock has his costume and The Avenger has his lovable personality. Ted Kord would have to be an entirely different character with the same name for it to work.
  • I didn't say they should own Doc Savage. I said that Daredevil was like Doc Savage, being a super-intelligent adventurer/genius and all.

Charlton comics also needs a TV series of some kind to get the Normies attention to their comics

Maybe something in the Animated persuasion, perhaps? I can see Charlton going to DePatie-Freleng. This would keep them out of Atlas's hands, which probably mean that Atlas sticks with Hanna-Barbera for the time being, which means Warner would probably have to Stay with Filmation until their recently revived Animation division is strong enough to make their own cartoons. That just leaves Fawcett with...whoever would want to take them.

Here's another reason for Charlton to exist. With four big companies instead of just two, it means that the Seaboard Atlas has no reason to exist, which means half those characters can go to Charlton while the other half goes to Fawcett. Pluss with Ditko working freelance with Charlton, it means they can still get Killjoy and Liberty Belle and maybe Odd Man and Squirrel Girl, while Fawcett still gets Static, Speedball and Shade the Changing Man.

Last edited:
Maybe something in the Animated persuasion, perhaps? I can see Charlton going to DePatie-Freleng. This would keep them out of Atlas's hands, which probably mean that Atlas sticks with Hanna-Barbera for the time being, which means Warner would probably have to Stay with Filmation until their recently revived Animation division is strong enough to make their own cartoons. That just leaves Fawcett with...whoever would want to take them.

Here's another reason for Charlton to exist. With four big companies instead of just two, it means that the Seaboard Atlas has no reason to exist, which means half those characters can go to Charlton while the other half goes to Fawcett. Pluss with Ditko working freelance with Charlton, it means they can still get Killjoy and Liberty Belle and maybe Odd Man and Squirrel Girl, while Fawcett still gets Static, Speedball and Shade the Changing Man.
I don't know
  1. Judomaster or Peacemaker would make either awesome or really bad live action TV shows in the 70s
  2. IOTL DC did have New adventures of Batman (Filmmation) and Challenge of the Superfriends (Hanna-barbera) happening at the same time so we should be looking at these series as adaptation of characters and not universes

I don't know
  1. Judomaster or Peacemaker would make either awesome or really bad live action TV shows in the 70s
  2. IOTL DC did have New adventures of Batman (Filmmation) and Challenge of the Superfriends (Hanna-barbera) happening at the same time so we should be looking at these series as adaptation of characters and not universes

1. I personally feel that Both would work better in Animation. You could call it ''Charlton Heroes Unite!'' or something generically 70s like that and add Blue Beetle and Nightshade in too. Plus if it goes to Fox or to Universal, sooner or later, there are gonna be movies made. Good movies too, with any luck. Or, if you really think these guys should have a Live Action show right away, you could go with Charles Fries and Alvin Boretz to make a Daredevil TV show and have the Cartoon as well.
  2. Fair enough, although that still leaves the question about what Fawcett does while all the other ''kids'' are busy with their clubs.

Last edited:
  1. I personally feel that Both would work better in Animation. You could call it ''Charlton Heroes Unite!'' or something generically 70s like that and add Blue Beetle and Nightshade in too. Plus if it goes to Fox or to Universal, sooner or later, there are gonna be movies made. Good movies too, with any luck. Or, if you really think these guys should have a Live Action show right away, you could go with Charles Fries and Alvin Boretz to make a Judomaster TV show and have the Cartoon as well.
  2. Fair enough, although that still leaves the question about what Fawcett does while all the other ''kids'' are busy with their clubs.
Ok when I said Peacemaker or Judomaster getting a series I ment a Primetime show (like Wonder Woman, or Incredible Hulk) possibly on syndication as for studios this will take some thought as you are suggesting some major butterfly effects)

In January Cary Bates was hired as the new writer for Wonder Woman as now Queen Diana leads paradise island. Bates would bring back some classic villainess from the 40s and bring back the wacky love intrests stories of the 50s
Bringing back enemies trying to dethrone her and would be former lovers coming back to woo the Amazon Queen.

I can imagine one of the networks using a bit of stunt casting with Zaza Gabor as Zaza the Mystic. I don't think it would go over too well.

Maybe Fawcett or Charlton should bring back ''This Magazine is Haunted,'' now that horror comics are coming back.

With rumors of the Green Hornet license being leaving Fawcett artist Arville Jones pitched a new character for the series to to writer/ editor Jerry Siegel a Black Detective named John Perch who befriends Brett Reid & Kato and helps them evade the police and arrest the criminals they capture with Hope's that if Fawcett loses their licence to Charlton or DC they can still work on stories with this character.
The license would expire the next year and the Black Sentinel was born

With rumors of the Green Hornet license being leaving Fawcett artist Arville Jones pitched a new character for the series to to writer/ editor Jerry Siegel a Black Detective named John Perch who befriends Brett Reid & Kato and helps them evade the police and arrest the criminals they capture with Hope's that if Fawcett loses their licence to Charlton or DC they can still work on stories with this character.
The license would expire the next year and the Black Sentinel was born

So, who gets the hornet licence? DC? I can't imagine Charlton needing it.

Last edited:
So, who gets the hornet licence? DC? I can't imagine Charlton needing it.
Are you sure? They are only now struggling to come back. For that matter DC comics could purchase the rights to both Green Hornet and his great uncle? But let's not forget Pacific comics is just starting up but seriously Fawcett dropped the Green Hornet title to get the rights to Tarzan

Last edited:
Are you sure? They are only now struggling to come back. For that matter, DC comics could purchase the rights to both Green Hornet and his great uncle? But let's not forget Pacific comics is just starting up

I am sure actually. Keep in mind, Charlton is already sitting on a goldmine of properties as mentioned previously and Yellowjacket could pretty much be their Green Hornet if treated right. As for Pacific, with the big four being a thing, Fawcett, Charlton, DC and Atlas could all benefit from the direct sales method, but I don't see Pacific comics becoming anything big. Keep in mind, Steve Ditko made 2 characters for that publication and with him working full time at Fawcett and part-time for Charlton and to me, when CC Beck inevitably retires he'll become editor in chief, it's likely that even before then, instead of taking them to Pacific, he'll most likely make Missing Man a Fawcett hero for the 80s and The Mocker the next Charlton Pulp Hero. So who knows how that could affect Pacific?