In a land…

In a county…?

Imperial County

2020​

”The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Mirrorshades”

High Concept
What if Jimmy Carter wasn’t elected?

Log Line
It’s nineteen eighty-six: let’s take a look at pop culture and technology, with a dash of politics, in that flipped universe.

Jonbar Hinge
Robert Altman’s Nashville influences the arc of a Justice—America will never be the same.

Elevator Pitch
A trawl without nostalgia into the detritus and deities of the eighties reimagined; a west coast focused examination of movies and computers and politicians; hey maybe (a few) better things are possible.

Status Update
Picked up straight to series on treatment & first season episode by episode outlines. Minor casting continuing. Pilot filming, five scripts commissioned.

Questions & Answers
The floor is open!

Alas my relentless boosterism of Mo Udall in combination with how good @Yes and McGoverning is have made me want to focus in deep on a Udall ‘76 Presidency instead of using it as backdrop… but also it’s bumped it back a spot in favour of pop culture extravaganza. So this project!

The basic premise of this is centred around digging into the many known possible ways the films could have been made—alternate directors and actors and production companies and so on—which is yes and deliberately a cheat because this way there’s lots of info already existing about those never made versions or at all films, Hollywood isn’t in the basis of reality after all :). However otherwise very much hard alternate history for technology + games with one large opening butterfly; likewise for politics, one big butterfly to open things up and the ramifications of that—obviously lol

I’m very excited for y’all to see it soon!

Last edited:
Who was? Ford or other D? we would get reagan anyway with other D, with Ford...WELL...

Well indeed. It’s a classic heavily discussed change—with a twist—though only a few often excellent but unfinished timelines that actually used it.
Second Choice Contender
View attachment 500860
“I got to know Bob Dole when he was Senate leader and he was a very funny guy. But he didn’t come across that way in that campaign. And that was a very, very close campaign. It wouldn’t have taken much for a Ford victory—a shift of 6,000 votes in Ohio and 3,000 in Hawaii.”

Would it be a better idea to just invent a fictional character to have the cash to buy the studio?

Personally I think there’s enough players around that you don’t need to. Drop me a PM, I’ll see what relevant books I have—should be able to dig up some potential :).

Last edited:
Well indeed. It’s a classic heavily discussed change—with a twist—though only a few often excellent but unfinished timelines that actually used it.
undefined
yeah i rememeber a lot of TL pushing for ford 1976(that is a disaster for the dems,even with watergate, they loss the presidency.) but no one finishing it sadly

Here's a recent idea I came up with: what if there was no Dreamworks?

First, let's talk about how Dreamworks started up IOTL. After breaking up with Don Bluth, Steven Spielberg started his own animation studio called Amblimation that made three films: An American Tail: Fievel Goes West, We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story, and Balto. The studio was also going to do an adaptation of Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cats that never saw the light of day. Spielberg then shut down Amblimation before teaming up with Jeffrey Katzenberg (who had just left Disney after fighting with Michael Eisner) and David Geffen to form Dreamworks.

Let's say ITTL, Amblimation continues to run, releasing Cats in 1997 and a different version of Shrek in 1999 (this version is hand-drawn and stars Bill Murray as the titular ogre and Steve Martin as Donkey). Meanwhile, Katzenberg stays at Disney (maybe we can butterfly Frank Wells' death, since that's what led to his turmoil with Eisner IOTL). What different creative decisions do you think Disney would've made had Katzenberg stayed?

Maybe after the failure of Titan AE, Don Bluth could leave Fox and join Amblimation, thus reuniting with Spielberg?

Here's a recent idea I came up with: what if there was no Dreamworks?

First, let's talk about how Dreamworks started up IOTL. After breaking up with Don Bluth, Steven Spielberg started his own animation studio called Amblimation that made three films: An American Tail: Fievel Goes West, We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story, and Balto. The studio was also going to do an adaptation of Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cats that never saw the light of day. Spielberg then shut down Amblimation before teaming up with Jeffrey Katzenberg (who had just left Disney after fighting with Michael Eisner) and David Geffen to form Dreamworks.

Let's say ITTL, Amblimation continues to run, releasing Cats in 1997 and a different version of Shrek in 1999 (this version is hand-drawn and stars Bill Murray as the titular ogre and Steve Martin as Donkey). Meanwhile, Katzenberg stays at Disney (maybe we can butterfly Frank Wells' death, since that's what led to his turmoil with Eisner IOTL). What different creative decisions do you think Disney would've made had Katzenberg stayed?

Maybe after the failure of Titan AE, Don Bluth could leave Fox and join Amblimation, thus reuniting with Spielberg?
I like this but could we get a different SNL duo for Shrek and Donkey... Chris Farley and David Spade(or Dana Carvey).

So, I've been thinking about TTL's version of Shrek and how it would differ from OTL's version (besides being hand-drawn and having different voice actors), especially since my family once owned the William Steig children's book it was inspired by.

Of course, Amblimation's three films were all over the map in tone and style. Would TTL's Shrek be a cartoony musical like Fievel Goes West and We're Back, or a non-musical drama like Balto? I guess it depends on whether Phil Nibbelink would co-direct or not.

EDIT: Also, here's an early piece of concept art of how the titular character would probably look in this version.
qbls5algt8i11.jpg

Last edited:
Recommended books for Disney/Dreamworks in the era under discussion.

Nicole LaPorte
- The Men Who Would Be King: An Almost Epic Tale of Moguls, Movies, and a Company Called Dreamworks

Kim Masters
- The Keys to the Kingdom: The Rise of Michael Eisner and the Fall of Everybody Else

Recommended books for Disney/Dreamworks in the era under discussion.

Nicole LaPorte
- The Men Who Would Be King: An Almost Epic Tale of Moguls, Movies, and a Company Called Dreamworks

Kim Masters
- The Keys to the Kingdom: The Rise of Michael Eisner and the Fall of Everybody Else

I had an idea: What if Dreamworks decided to sell of Jack Frost (Rise of the Guardians) to Disney in early 2014 when Dreamworks was bleeding money... (This is for shipping purposes...)
This could have tied in to NoName's "What if there was no Dreamworks". Jack Frost would have probably have been used as a love interest for Queen Elsa from Frozen by Disney if we were to extend the timeline further.

Sorry for the double post. This is about something else.
"What if Kanye West lost his big feud (vs. Taylor Swift) in 2014-2016? How would this change him and his music, and how would it have affected the music scene. My cousin likes him, so I'm asking this for him.
Would this also have ripple effects (ex. reality television?)."

Edit. Post #1300!

If Enterprise had completed its seven season run, what might a sixth Trek show have been like c. 2008?

Also, if Spielberg and co hadn't caved to network pressure, what might a second season of Seaquest DSV have been like?

I don't know if this is ASB but...

What if there was a timeline, in which all video games from our world were movies and tv-shows there and vice versa?

For example, in 1979 they had Ridley Scott's Half-Life, while in the year 1998 Valve Corporation developed a game called Alien.