Miscellaneous >1900 (Alternate) History Thread

McPherson

Banned
Yeah, I wondered if that would be more Chat-appropriate than anything else. Hopefully, we’ll move on from today’s clownish politics so that we can civilly converse about it in ‘After 1900’ once the not-too-distant-future rolls around.

With that PoD moved off to the side for now, though, how about ‘Thomas Dewey Wins The 1944 Election’? Somehow, I bet that’s unlikely given FDR’s popularity, incumbent power and presidential resume for him to boast about. Nevertheless, what might be the consequences going forwards?

That is a good question. FDR's doctors told him that he was a dead man with only months to live. He would never live through a fourth term. He knew that fact going into 1944. He ran anyway. There was a 60-40 chance he would have died in 1943. It is my opinion that he knew he had to manage the war and he could not risk that task to a man like Dewey until he, FDR, knew that the war could not be screwed up by his successors.

I think that is a case that can be argued.

‘Democratic South, Republican Coasts’. Maybe this would be more of a Chat topic, but I’m unsure.
with the right pods in the 80s you could get this to be a thing by an atl 2030

democrats 'triangulate' on social issues in 90s, drop gun control and slowly evolve into a big tent 'center-left*' party. you see working class whites, blacks, latins in the same party with the GOP ending up a yuppie liberal-nevertrumper-neocon fusion.

with most 'red states, great lakes states, the SW solid dem you'd likely see mostly a dem lock on the white house. NY would probably be democratic due to upstate, urban minorities and remaining labor types. Wall street would be a GOP enclave in a dem state

* Think some mix of old labor, euro/latin american christian dems, pre-clinton dems for the party. Mixed/status quo on various 'social' issues with ongoing nasty fights over abortion/lgbt within the party but due to similar trends as OTL+stronger dem dominance the anti position on both issues like gets fringe faster than otl

with the right pods in the 80s you could get this to be a thing by an atl 2030

democrats 'triangulate' on social issues in 90s, drop gun control and slowly evolve into a big tent 'center-left*' party. you see working class whites, blacks, latins in the same party with the GOP ending up a yuppie liberal-nevertrumper-neocon fusion.

with most 'red states, great lakes states, the SW solid dem you'd likely see mostly a dem lock on the white house. NY would probably be democratic due to upstate, urban minorities and remaining labor types. Wall street would be a GOP enclave in a dem state

* Think some mix of old labor, euro/latin american christian dems, pre-clinton dems for the party. Mixed/status quo on various 'social' issues with ongoing nasty fights over abortion/lgbt within the party but due to similar trends as OTL+stronger dem dominance the anti position on both issues like gets fringe faster than otl

...Alright, then. Provided that they form and have more or less the same general, pro-freedom-all-around platform that they mainly do IOTL, I wonder where the likes of the Libertarian Party might find itself ITTL 2030 or so.

I would also guess that the GOP becomes more of a "business-conservative" political party as well--i.e. mainly supportive of capitalism, but also more friendly to gun-control legislation and the like?

Libertarians were 1970s so pre-POD.

Alright, that’s true. How they evolve post-PoD compared to OTL still remains a question, however.

I’d like to think that their positions and platform wind up as more or less the same as IOTL. But maybe a few provisions might get amended here and there, depending on how politics goes.

It is often the case that people on this forum have miscellaneous or frivolous questions that could be easily answered by the many experts on this forum but are difficult to find the answer to on Google Scholar/Books or Wikipedia because they don't often deal in alternatives.

There are other cases where people have miscellaneous or frivolous scenarios or challenges that they want to share about an idea they encountered that could perhaps provoke inspiration in other users but isn't deserving enough to be posted as a thread on its own.

These issues have been addressed in the Shared Worlds, ASB and <1900 forums but haven't been dealt with here.

This thread is intended to be a resource for those with questions about a timeline they want to construct which are minor and undeserving of their own thread, and a place to share ideas that people don't have time, skill or knowledge to write themselves.
What if Argentine invaded Falklands during WW2 ?

McPherson

Banned
What if Argentine invaded Falklands during WW2 ?

You get something similar to a Madagascar expedition with the attendant debacles. One thing is for sure, it could get UGLY on South America itself. Brazilian, Argentinian, and Paraguayan politics is complicated. Look at the Uraguayan and Paraguayan Wars for more info. Don't forget Chile!

I've been reading 1932: The Year of Hitler and FDR, and it's led me to wonder what might happen if some other Democrat gets the nomination, and if someone other than the Nazis rises to power. What if Thalmann becomes chancellor, for instance.

Three different ideas of mine
  • What If France's obsession with 1 and 1½ Man turrets for their tanks never came to pass, a timeline where the all French tanks were designed with 3 man turrets from the 1930's onwards.
  • What if William Goebel survived his assassination, either the wound was not mortal or by some miracle he survived in the end.

I was just thinking of Goebel the other day. I'm not sure how Kentucky politics would be, but perhaps if he survives and does a good enough job he could a be a presidential contender.

Also, what if Minnesota Governor John Johnson had not died so young? Nile Kinnock would also be interesting, after all, I do live in Iowa.

What if the restrictions placed on the navy for the construction of America's first Dreadnought were for a greater amount of tonnage and instead of the 16,000 long ton restriction of the OTL, the navy was given a more generous restriction of 24,000 long tons to make a pair of Battleship/Dreadnoughts.

Basically this 'What if' is about how much better the South Carolina class Battleship could have been with a larger tonnage limit and what changes would come of that decision.

Quick question - I often see comments that post should be in ASB - but where is the link to that forum ?

I’m working on an ah set in alt world like ours but not ours so I don’t need to devise a plausible POD set in ww2 eta so should I post in >1900 forum or elsewhere?

Off the table as that is "too current". But for a past example, that could be discussed, look at Herbert Hoover and the economy as a modus.

Dumb question but it was 7 years ago now, when does it stop being current? If CalBear says it still falls into the current category that it does and that's fine but I am curious as to when something stops being current. I also realize it's not necessarily the a straight number as some topics given their controversial nature or the manner in which they stir people up should fall into this category for longer periods of time.

McPherson

Banned
What if the restrictions placed on the navy for the construction of America's first Dreadnought were for a greater amount of tonnage and instead of the 16,000 long ton restriction of the OTL, the navy was given a more generous restriction of 24,000 long tons to make a pair of Battleship/Dreadnoughts.

Basically this 'What if' is about how much better the South Carolina class Battleship could have been with a larger tonnage limit and what changes would come of that decision.

Something like an Iron Duke but with TSE engines and 30.5cm/L45 bore diameter main battery and US 12.7cm/L50 secondaries. Super-firing with 5 MA gunhouses instead of 4 and improved cruising range. Thicker main belt and a MUCH better torpedo defense.

McPherson

Banned
Quick question - I often see comments that post should be in ASB - but where is the link to that forum ?

I’m working on an ah set in alt world like ours but not ours so I don’t need to devise a plausible POD set in ww2 eta so should I post in >1900 forum or elsewhere?

Your point of departure date defines the forum date you should select. For Teddy Roosevelt to screw up and set off a premature WWI I needed to go before 1900 even though he screws up after 1900 since the PoD actually starts in the Spanish American War.

For Alien Space Bats... go to the forum on the title page marked "Alien Space Bats and Other Magic".

It is often the case that people on this forum have miscellaneous or frivolous questions that could be easily answered by the many experts on this forum but are difficult to find the answer to on Google Scholar/Books or Wikipedia because they don't often deal in alternatives.

There are other cases where people have miscellaneous or frivolous scenarios or challenges that they want to share about an idea they encountered that could perhaps provoke inspiration in other users but isn't deserving enough to be posted as a thread on its own.

These issues have been addressed in the Shared Worlds, ASB and <1900 forums but haven't been dealt with here.

This thread is intended to be a resource for those with questions about a timeline they want to construct which are minor and undeserving of their own thread, and a place to share ideas that people don't have time, skill or knowledge to write themselves.
What if Syrian troops never left Lebanon in 2005 ?

What if the Xinhai Revolution failed and China did not destabilize in the following years, how different would Asia be with China still ruled by the Qing Dynasty?