Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
upload_2019-11-5_20-41-18.png

I decided to fix a few mistakes I made in the previous version of this map - I replaced the tricolor with red and gold coloured banner symbolising Rome. I also replaced Sicily on coat of arms with Genoa and labeled both Monaco and San Marino.

So after putting a few more hours of work into it, I have a tentative finished project for my "Rise" TL, based on a catastrophic and sudden increase in temperatures at the poles that results in the rapid melting of the polar ice caps and a sea level rise (hence the name, "Rise"). The ensuing chaos and destruction results in colossal loss of life, on the order of billions. Civilization is thrown back centuries as cities and entire regions are completely wiped off the map, and society collapses in many places. Several months later, humanity has managed to regain some semblance of civilization in many parts of the world, as some governments successfully clung to power, and in other places the people simply banded together to avoid facing extinction. In North America, Canada is indisputably the dominant power, after tens of thousands of Americans have migrated North and the former USA has suffered the loss of over half its population and much of their industry. The Union, the shell of the former USA, is another formidable power in North America, but after failed negotiations with Texas and the Rocky Mountain Republic they've failed to reunite the USA, and are stuck living in the shadow of Canada. Mexico has the largest military force in North America- and possibly the world, a factor that has contributed heavily to their stability after the catastrophe. Unfortunately, however, their stability is being tested now as food supplies begin to run short and cartels are seizing power in some of the outer territories. South America suffered catastrophic loss in the Rise, though along the West coast several nations have managed to cling to stability. Chile and Peru are the most prominent, with Argentina only being separate from the Chilean Republic because nationalist elements there refused unification, and Chileans not wanting to risk the kind of population drop that would be sure to occur in any conflict. Chile and Peru have fairly friendly relations, both nations being fairly stable and currently attempting to reestablish relations with the rest of the world in order to determine just how bad humanity has suffered. Europe has stabilized, though their populations have been utterly devastated by the Rise. Scandinavia is the undisputed dominant power on the continent, controlling everything from Karelia to Greenland. After the collapse of England, they swept in and brought stability to what was left of the British Isles. The rest of Europe is just barely clinging to life- the huge population hit has reduced most them to subsistence farming to survive, however, they managed to preserve more technology than most nations everywhere else. Germany, Russia, and Poland are the most dominant, while Italy was the only European power that hasn't been able to pull itself back together following the Rise. In Asia, most nations collapsed- from Israel to China, the entire continent is in a state of utter chaos an anarchy. India, hard-hit in the Rise, fell apart completely, while the Chinese- though hard-hit- were able to restore some semblance of order in the wake of the Rise, excepting their Western territories, where revolt placed that area in anarchy. Japan and Arabia are the two most powerful states in Asia at the moment, Japan having unified the parts of East Asia that survived the Rise, while Arabia suffered a lot in the disaster but still controls much of the world's oil supply, lending them the strategic significance necessary to maintain stability. In Africa, several states of varying stability came out of the disaster, though truthfully only the South African Federation is as stable as other surviving governments around the world. As such, refugees from across Africa are fleeing to the Federation.

The world is emerging from this catastrophe with a radically different power dynamic than the world did before... with powers like Canada, Mexico, South Africa, and Peru appearing to be dominant, as Europe, China, and the former United States can barely maintain a semblance of stability.

Rise Catastrophe.png

Quick question, how do you show joint government for 2 entities in the same nation? like if 1's autonomous and one's the federal gov, do you use both the normal color and the autonomous color?

Quick question, how do you show joint government for 2 entities in the same nation? like if 1's autonomous and one's the federal gov, do you use both the normal color and the autonomous color?
I'd probably do that with diagonal lines. But there isn't really any convention on it.

upload_2019-11-5_22-14-40.png

The first stage (mostly) done of a long project for myself; it had humble (and laughably terrible) origins wayy back in 2016 on something I never finished. It's now been spruced up, roughed the edges, and I plan to do a lot with it - biomes, population, squabbling post-post apocalyptic nation states, even a far-future ecumenopolis. (What's Stahlvelka? Well it's the eventual capital world of the Empire of the same name from my probably forever-WIP scifi setting).

This is pretty cool, what was your process for coming up with the alternate country/city names?
It's part of the larger TL172: DACIA project, so the country names were all given to me, as well as a lot of the city names in the British Isles. However, most of the city names I had to trace back to their origins, either Roman or native, and then find similar names in OTL languages to apply to the city. For example, TTL Paris is called Lukjanov, which is a Slavicization of the city's Roman name, Lutetia, combined with elements of names common to Slavic names in OTL.

Wait, are there no surviving Germanic or Romance languages?
There are. Germanic languages and culture can be found in OTL Italy, Balkans, Ireland, and Scandinavia. OTL Romance languages can be found in OTL Spain.

It's part of the larger TL172: DACIA project, so the country names were all given to me, as well as a lot of the city names in the British Isles. However, most of the city names I had to trace back to their origins, either Roman or native, and then find similar names in OTL languages to apply to the city. For example, TTL Paris is called Lukjanov, which is a Slavicization of the city's Roman name, Lutetia, combined with elements of names common to Slavic names in OTL.

There are. Germanic languages and culture can be found in OTL Italy, Balkans, Ireland, and Scandinavia. OTL Romance languages can be found in OTL Spain.

What, no Dacians in the Dacia timeline? :)

6TtZ7kO.png

One People, One Nation, One Earth
Or, Government Goes Global
This is my take on a Star Trek-like universe. In 2022, aliens known as the Khaxi from across the Galaxy appeared on the doorstep of Earth, touching down in New York City, Rio de Janeiro, Brussels, Cairo, Shanghai, and Sydney simultaneously. The world managed to not spark a war with the peaceful aliens, who, unlike Stephen Hawking's prediction of an interplanetary Columbian Exchange-type catstrophe, were merely explorers who stumbled across the first radio transmissions skipping out across the stars and emanating away from Earth and decided to investigate the little blue sphere. An emergency meeting of the world's most powerful leaders were summoned, with the heads of state of the USA, Russia, China, Germany, the United Kingdom, Japan, France, South Korea, India, Brazil, Australia, and Egypt convening at the United Nations building in Manhattan to devise a plan of action. In the meantime, the world's best and brightest met in Tokyo with one group of the aliens, who showed them the vast extent of their knowledge. Much of it was far beyond 21st century Earth, ranging from holograms to the cure for cancer to cloning, as well as travel at speeds approaching the speed of light. Back at the UN, the Khaxi leadership formally invited Earth into the Interstellar Federation as a Class-D planet, until the humans got their shit together, stopped killing each other, and worked together for the betterment of mankind and the greater universe.

Over the next two centuries, Earth rapidly advanced, displaying humanity's definining characteristic of adaptability, in place of other useful skills like breathing underwater or being excellent at mathematics and logical reasoning. While other alien races were initially far more advanced technologically and socially, by the end of the 22nd century Earth was close to leading the pack, given the rest of the galaxy's slower rate of innovation. In 2265, Earth is a Class-S planet, sitting on the bench of the Federation's Grand Council (reserved for only the most influential of planets) and expanding humanity out into the stars.

Last edited:
Always happy to see Dacia content.

I’ve once read that east Pretan has some Slavic influences, how strong is it?

I’d love to see more on southern “Gallia/France”
I don't think those influences are particularly strong, but I'm not quite sure.

Definitely planning on moving around and seeing more of the region in the upcoming maps.

Over the next two centuries, Earth rapidly advanced, displaying humanity's definining characteristic of adaptability, in place of other useful skills like breathing underwater or being excellent at mathematics and logical reasoning. While other alien races were initially far more advanced technologically and socially, by the end of the 22nd century Earth was close to leading the pack, given the rest of the galaxy's slower rate of innovation. In 2265, Earth is a Class-S planet, sitting on the bench of the Federation's Grand Council (reserved for only the most influential of planets) and expanding humanity out into the stars.

I see North Korea is still Best Korea. Down with the alien imperialist collaborators! :biggrin:

I see North Korea is still Best Korea. Down with the alien imperialist collaborators! :biggrin:
Heh, yeah. The darkest parts of the map are places where terrorism leveled against the United States of Earth is still prevalent. Other "Bests" include Uyghuristan, Afghanistan, Iran (around Tehran), Saudi Arabia, Katanga/eastern DRC, north Venezuela, and Cuba.

Status
Not open for further replies.