Miscellaneous >1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Good question. Yeah, I guess that 1915 works--but now we have to work out why America enters the Great War that early in the game.
1280px-19150508_Lusitania_Sunk_By_a_Submarine_-_The_New_York_Times.png

@goalieboy82
Ah, yeah--I almost forgot about the Lusitania sinking. Maybe add in Germany telling the US to screw off when it comes to their complaints about unrestricted warfare, and America becomes pissed off enough to join the fray a couple of year early.

Another idea of mine.

What if: A German Submarine misidentified the USS Wyoming (BB-32) for a British Battleship whilst the battleship was returning from Europe to America and sinks the aging Dreadnought, taking with it nearly the entire crew. Survivors would be rescued afterwards and the fate of the USS Wyoming quickly reaches the United States of America in early 1940.

It may or may not bring America into the war sooner but it will shake things up.

‘Libertarian Supreme Court’. Even if not so in technical political affiliation, it’d still cast its verdicts in line with libertarian principles.

What if: In 1914 both ships of South Carolina class of Battleships were converted into Aircraft Carriers in a lengthy project that would last a full year but would see the two ships redeployed as America's first Aircraft Carriers by late 1915.

This 'what if' is based around the idea of what would happen if the United States Navy began playing around with Aircraft Carriers during the Great War and what butterflies would result.

‘Democratic Dubya’. Or, what if George W. Bush became a (likely conservative) Democrat and ran as such for POTUS?

For starters, he’d likely join the Blue Dog Coalition in the party, assuming that Bush II doesn’t turn out unrecognizably different from his OTL counterpart.

McCain would still lost even if he picks someone else as Palin. Republican candidate was destined to lost election in 2008.

Somehow, I’m unsurprised. Given how unpopular G.W. Bush became, and how voters tend to support what they view as the opposite of what seems to have screwed them over, the prospect of a Democrat winning the White House ITTL seems rather unsurprising. Whether Hillary would make a good POTUS or not is a question for after the 2008 election, but she’d probably win nonetheless as you said.

‘Barack Obama Doesn’t Run Again In 2012’. What could dis-incentivize him from aiming for a second term, I’m unsure of at the moment.

Three different ideas of mine
  • What If France's obsession with 1 and 1½ Man turrets for their tanks never came to pass, a timeline where the all French tanks were designed with 3 man turrets from the 1930's onwards.
  • What if William Goebel survived his assassination, either the wound was not mortal or by some miracle he survived in the end.

Three different ideas of mine
  • What If France's obsession with 1 and 1½ Man turrets for their tanks never came to pass, a timeline where the all French tanks were designed with 3 man turrets from the 1930's onwards.
  • What if William Goebel survived his assassination, either the wound was not mortal or by some miracle he survived in the end.
For the turrets there were major reasons that the French went that way. They were not correct in hindsight. But they made sense at the time.

McPherson

Banned
‘Barack Obama Doesn’t Run Again In 2012’. What could dis-incentivize him from aiming for a second term, I’m unsure of at the moment.

Off the table as that is "too current". But for a past example, that could be discussed, look at Herbert Hoover and the economy as a modus.

McPherson

Banned
For the turrets there were major reasons that the French went that way. They were not correct in hindsight. But they made sense at the time.

The French had a steel shortage, weak automotive industry, an infantry support assault doctrine based on "deliberate assault", a severe manpower crisis, and a fixation on the FT-17 tank architecture to fit that deliberate assault doctrine and a fairly weak economy as well as the lack of tech to make their auto-cannon concept work. The tanks they build make a lot of sense based on their doctrine. The only thing they can do to improve their situation is to solve the auto-loader conundrum. Postwar they still have the same problems which is why they persist in the same solutions.

The French had a steel shortage, weak automotive industry, an infantry support assault doctrine based on "deliberate assault", a severe manpower crisis, and a fixation on the FT-17 tank architecture to fit that deliberate assault doctrine and a fairly weak economy as well as the lack of tech to make their auto-cannon concept work. The tanks they build make a lot of sense based on their doctrine. The only thing they can do to improve their situation is to solve the auto-loader conundrum. Postwar they still have the same problems which is why they persist in the same solutions.
Chieftain largely says that in his videos. Not sure which ones but I remember him saying that.

McPherson

Banned
Chieftain largely says that in his videos. Not sure which ones but I remember him saying that.

Look, we can fault the French as the wehrbois like to do, but the French were headed in the right directions. They ran out of time. I think they could have made a run at it with the AMC35.

In 1931, French armor units were about to be massively equipped with infantry support light tanks, like the Renault R35 and Hotchkiss H35. However, the specifications of the time called for a cavalry medium tank. This meant a fast tank. Renault already had experience with the D1 and D2 medium infantry support models. This led Renault to create the AMC 34 (for “Automitrailleuse de Combat”). But in 1934, the specification was altered, now requesting a better armored and faster model. Renault then redesigned its plans around the same basis to save time, creating the AMC 35. This new design incorporated, for the very first time, the new experimental APX-2 two-man turret.

This was not derived from any specification, but only a new idea from Renault, after hearing many operational training reports and memorandums. Although systematic three man crews for all French tanks of the interwar were mostly dictated by demography, this was also issued by technical limitations. A smaller, one man turret was easier to design and build. The Châtillon APX-2 model was also very costly. The first prototype, conceived by Renault and presented in March 1936 to the French Vincennes materiel commission, suspicious after the rejection of the previous Renault AMC YR, first found it unacceptable for service, as it didn’t fulfill all requirements of speed and protection. But political pressure, ensured by the German remilitarization of the Rhineland, plus the urgent need of the cavalry, led to its eventual acceptation.

The 4.7cmL32 gun/howitzer was too big for the APX 2 man turret and could not take an autoloader. Really Renault was in the ballpark if the 3.7cmL40 had worked. The French tried an auto-loader version and could not get it to function. And as always, the lack of radios was a killer.

Off the table as that is "too current". But for a past example, that could be discussed, look at Herbert Hoover and the economy as a modus.

Yeah, I wondered if that would be more Chat-appropriate than anything else. Hopefully, we’ll move on from today’s clownish politics so that we can civilly converse about it in ‘After 1900’ once the not-too-distant-future rolls around.

With that PoD moved off to the side for now, though, how about ‘Thomas Dewey Wins The 1944 Election’? Somehow, I bet that’s unlikely given FDR’s popularity, incumbent power and presidential resume for him to boast about. Nevertheless, what might be the consequences going forwards?