I suspect the redesign of Segregation may have wrinkled some noses in the RU, with northern Blacks unhappy that fellow descendants of Pinnacle Blood being lumped in with Infee natives

I suspect the redesign of Segregation may have wrinkled some noses in the RU, with northern Blacks unhappy that fellow descendants of Pinnacle Blood being lumped in with Infee natives
Perhaps Union charities go around buying the trusts of Afro-Carolinians (leaving the natives to wallow in Inferiority of course). They could resettle them in Lincolnia or the more distant parts of North America, where they'd form a loyal bloc of patriotic immigrants but not be close enough to Carolina clay to lead to reprisals in either direction.

Perhaps Union charities go around buying the trusts of Afro-Carolinians (leaving the natives to wallow in Inferiority of course). They could resettle them in Lincolnia or the more distant parts of North America, where they'd form a loyal bloc of patriotic immigrants but not be close enough to Carolina clay to lead to reprisals in either direction.
Maybe a string of soul food restaurants could become popular throughout the US? The idea of a white bread clean cut fifties Yankee stopping off on the Destiny Road for a Luther Vandross-and-greens is pretty entertaining.

This does raise some interesting possibilities! I for one don't know yet myself. On the one hand, I could see that happening. On the other hand, we don't know how informed the average Yankee actually is regarding goings on in Jacksonland. I imagine they keep it at least somewhat under wraps. Hmmmm. I'll have to think about it

I think after I finish the African saga (I have three more parts planned) I know what my next story is going to be. It'll help highlight the Cokie-Yankee culture clash and also in my opinion be entertaining as hell. Picture this y'all. A Carolinian teen has to start his freshman year of high school in Yankeeland because his father got a job somewhere. I'm going to keep it outside the Southron RU to maximize culture conflict, so probably New England. Cue typical teen drama, mixed in with culture clash.

I think after I finish the African saga (I have three more parts planned) I know what my next story is going to be. It'll help highlight the Cokie-Yankee culture clash and also in my opinion be entertaining as hell. Picture this y'all. A Carolinian teen has to start his freshman year of high school in Yankeeland because his father got a job somewhere. I'm going to keep it outside the Southron RU to maximize culture conflict, so probably New England. Cue typical teen drama, mixed in with culture clash.
"Er uh look at that Southron fried rube! He's only here because his *sarcastic voice* paw moved up foah a real American job!"
"YEE YEE!" *Hark the Sound of Cokie fist meeting Yankee chin*

Last edited:
This does raise some interesting possibilities! I for one don't know yet myself. On the one hand, I could see that happening. On the other hand, we don't know how informed the average Yankee actually is regarding goings on in Jacksonland. I imagine they keep it at least somewhat under wraps. Hmmmm. I'll have to think about it
All it takes is for one black Yankee (maybe a crewman of a steamer on shore-leave or a visiting black businessman) losing their ID, getting picked up by some overly enthusiastic OPV Officers, getting thrown in with the Inferior tribesmen and oppressed former slaves, and someone going looking for him for things between the RU, Jacksonland, and Carolina to go pretty south fast.

Also, a suggestion for Carolina’s next territorial acquisition: the Falkland Islands/Islas Malvinas/South South Carolina. Maybe they can be grabbed during the Neutrality Pact War as a means to harass South American shipping and they just never leave

Last edited:
Also, a suggestion for Carolina’s next territorial acquisition: the Falkland Islands/Islas Malvinas/South South Carolina. Maybe they can be grabbed during the Neutrality Pact War as a means to harass South American shipping and they just never leave
I dunno that doesn't seem very wedge shaped... :confused:

I dunno that doesn't seem very wedge shaped... :confused:

Honestly, I like it. The fact is that the Union likely won't let the Cokies grab any of the prime parcels of land in this war cuz Manifest Destiny. And the Falklands are sufficiently random to be ridiculous

Honestly, I like it. The fact is that the Union likely won't let the Cokies grab any of the prime parcels of land in this war cuz Manifest Destiny. And the Falklands are sufficiently random to be ridiculous
I guess if it's integral Carolinian territory it doesn't break the pattern. Germanian influence could rear it's head and Ultima Carolina could be born...

I guess if it's integral Carolinian territory it doesn't break the pattern. Germanian influence could rear it's head and Ultima Carolina could be born...
Actually this southward jaunt has me wondering about Antarctica. I think it would be really fun if you ended up with a scenario where a Yankee named Pym discovers the continent.

Hark the Sound of Conquering Voices: The History of Carolinian Africa Part II

European_missionaries_St_Stephens_Jogoo_Rd_Nbi_Rabai_museum_066_M.jpg

Carolinian officials and missionaries pose outside of the first Presbyterian Church to be constructed in the Carolinian Corridor (1921)
When war broke out in Germania in late 1914, the world watched with bated breath. In a matter of months, the Germanians had gone from victory in the Great War to nigh total collapse. Matters continued to deteriorate into 1915, when the infamous Embassy Massacre occurred. The sheer rage of the Carolinian people upon learning about the massacre was palpable even to foreign observers. As one British observer noted "One gets the feeling that every single Cokie would like to murder a German Illuminist with their bare hands." In Jacksonland, anti-Illuminist rallies were held in the streets of New Raleigh and young men enlisted in droves. When Germanian Africa destabilized like the rest of Germania, the Jacksonlanders were ready to charge in and "defend Protestant civilization."

The Cokies of Jacksonland were actually very eager to find an excuse to charge into Germanian Africa. They, and their brethren on the mainland, had always felt the Germans had cheated them out of a proper chunk of the African pie. Furthermore, when Germania claimed most of Portuguese Africa, it left the Cokies more angry than ever. They had fought and died right alongside the "lousy Krauts" and what did they have to show for it? A medium sized addition to Jacksonland? Meanwhile, the Germans, who already had most of the best parts of Africa, got most of the spoils. It was, to quote the Raleigh News and Observer, "The single greatest territorial indignity we have had to suffer since the damnable Virginians stole West Carolina!" This resentment about Germanian Africa had always been a diplomatic sore spot between the Cokies and the Germans, and had actually seen border skirmished in the lead up to the Great War. The Germanian people had always laughed at Cokie demands as childish and ridiculous. Now, only the Cokies were laughing, even as they were supremely angry over the Embassy Massacre.

When Germanian Africa fell into chaos, the Cokies did not hesitate to accept Kapp's request for support, once he made it clear that territorial aggrandizement was in the cards. Carolinian troops charged in like madmen, slaughtering every rebelling tribesmen that stood between them and their promised land on the Indian Ocean. More insultingly, Colonial Governor Tommy Jones and his officers commandeered the Germanian troops from their actual officers to further Carolinian interests. When Germanian officials complained about this to Jones, he responded in the most imperious and condescending way possible, "Gentlemen I understand your concerns. However, you must understand this issue from our perspective. Right across our border, wild tribesmen were being allowed to run rampant under your ineffective governance. Your leader has called my people in to help. Now, we all now that y'all can't stop me from doing whatever the hell I want. What I want is to restore order and to correct a horrific indignity that has been done to my people. So, read my lips. I. Am. In. Charge. If you don't like it, I kindly invite you to kiss my ass and Hark the Sound!" The Germanian officers didn't know what part they found more horrifying; the fact they had just been berated by "some stupid backwoods hillbilly" or the fact that what he was saying was fundamentally true. The Carolinian public ate it up. Every newspaper in the country printed Jones's speech on the front page under such jingoistic headlines as "Move Over Krauts, This is Cokie Country Now!" and "How the Mighty Have Fallen! Krauts Kowtow to Carolina in Africa!" In fact, it seems that the Cokies enjoyed punishing the Germanians for looking down on Cokie ambitions almost as much as they did killing the Loomies.

The reasons for this are varied. However, what seems to be the biggest contributor to Cokie schadenfreude was an underlying national inferiority complex. Quite simply put, the Carolinians knew that just about every Protestant nation looked down upon them. The Republican Union saw them as a pet dog that they could make do tricks. The Dutch and Germanians both thought of Carolina as a pathetic upstart whose empires could never rival their own. The Scandinavians viewed the Cokies as culturally inferior Yankee puppets worthy of either pity or scorn depending on one's view of the Yankees. The Brits (well mostly the English) viewed them as a bunch of unsophisticated idiots whose obsession with imitating the Arthurian knights and aristocracy was pathetic as they, "lacked the heritage and Fluidation to recreate such a Pinnacle civilization." The Aussies would gleefully point out to any Cokie that would listen that their nation was much larger than Carolina and her empire, and claim that soon their empire would be much richer and stronger than Ol' Caroline. Hell, even the Nipponese thumbed their noses at the Cokies as unsophisticated brutes when they had been independent. Now, thanks to the fire of the Germanian Civil War, that was changing. The Germanian leader had been forced to request Carolinian assistance in Africa. Cokie troops were tramping across the ruins of Berlin. In January of 1916, when Yonderland was formally created, the newspapers at home screamed about "The Dawn of an Imperial Era for Carolina!" and perhaps more directly "Who's Large and in Charge Now Kraut? Cokies Formally Seize Germanian Colony, Show Euros How It's Done!" Even though the war was still going on, celebrations broke out in the streets of New Raleigh and elsewhere, and the Gamble Administration publicly boasted about "The unstoppable advance of our soldiers across Africa and Germania in defense of Protestant Civilization. Clearly if there's a problem that needs solving, Carolina will solve it!" Even as most Fascist and Protestant governments started rethinking certain aspects of national strategy in the wake of Carolina's continuing rise, jingoism continued to infect the nation to unseen levels. In 1916, the famous patriotic song To Arms in Carolina was published in honor of Carolina's landgrab in Africa, using an old GAW tune as its base:

Cokie men the thunders mutter!
Heathen flags in South winds flutter!
To arms! To arms! To arms, in Carolina!
Send them back your fierce defiance!
Stamp upon the cursed alliance!

Advance the flag of Jackson! Hurrah! Hurrah!
In Car'line's land we take our stand, and live or die for Carolina!
To arms! To arms! And conquer all for Carolina!

Fear no danger! Shun no labor!
Lift up rifle, pike, and saber!
Shoulder pressing close to shoulder,
Let the odds make each heart bolder!

Advance the flag of Jackson! Hurrah! Hurrah!
In Car'line's land we take our stand, and live or die for Carolina!

Swear upon your country's altar
Never to submit or falter--
Till the foreigners are defeated,
Till the Lord's work is completed!
The song was massively popular, and soon became the favorite tune of Cokie troops fighting in the Carolinian Corridor formed by the initial advance of 1915-16. The next three years would see constant, grueling, guerrilla fighting in the Corridor, but the Cokies soldiered on without complaint. They had shocked the world with their rapid advance across the continent, invasion of mainland Germania, and overall humiliation of one of Europe's great powers, and they didn't want to lose that prestige boost. When Cokie and Yankee mercenaries killed the rebel leader Opulo Odika in 1919 and shattered the rebellion in Africa, the public furiously celebrated once more. Cokie assistance to Fuhrer Bachenheim of the newly christened Mittelafrika further enhanced the public's perception that they were more capable than the Germanians of controlling Africa. When the grueling war ended in 1920, Carolinian businesses rushed into Mittelafrika to profit off of the colony's vast resources. The conclusion of the war saw the imperialist fever die down somewhat, as many Cokies felt like they had an empire more fitting of a real power. However, a sizable minority was still dissatisfied. They thought that Carolina should have also been given Madagascar, and that the Carolinian Corridor should have been much larger. That being said, everyone was happy at putting the imperialistic Krauts in their place, and took pride in invading mainland Europe to "fight the enemies of civilization" before the Yankees did. All in all, the war was a triumph.

Now came the long process of building up their new colony. Chancellor Gamble immediately authorized funds to build a massive rail network connecting Jacksonland to Yonderland via the Carolinian Corridor. Thousands of Carolinian settlers rushed into the Corridor and Yonderland to properly "Cokiefy" the territory. The Germanian settlers were all allowed to stay, and were fully integrated into Carolinian culture. This again led to more bizarre cultural exchanges and strange accents, which also saw the creation of such foodstuffs as deep fried bratwurst and sandwiches featuring fried chicken and sauerkraut. The Germanians were, however, mostly submerged into Carolinian culture and were somewhat looked down upon as being incapable of ruling the Africans on their own. The Cokies also got to work establishing trusteeship and segregation out in Yonderland and the Corridor, the demands of which saw colonial security forces double in size. In the northern reaches of Yonderland, the Carolinians also executed a genocidal policy against the Makua people, who violently resisted the implementation of segregation. 200,000 Makua would perish from 1921-1924 as the Cokies once and for all asserted dominance over their new colony. They also put down some minor revolts in Jacksonland with unrelenting brutality, killing 25,000 Africans in the territory. By 1925, Chancellor Gamble could truthfully state that "Our position in Africa is totally secure."

In many ways, Yonderland was more of a Carolinian place than Jacksonland. The large group of Germanian whites already present in the colony, when combined with a massive influx of Cokies and other immigrants made the colony somewhat whiter than Jacksonland. Furthermore, where as Jacksonland was mostly desert, albeit one filled with gems and minerals, Yonderland had both mineral riches and the kind of tropical environment perfectly conducive to Cokie plantation agriculture. Cotton, citrus, tea, tobacco, marble, coal, gold, and even more flowed out of Yonderland and into Cokie and Fascist factories, jewelers, supermarkets, and consumer goods. By the outbreak of the Neutrality Pact War, Yonderland was even richer than the fabulously wealthy Jacksonland, and even more valuable. Thanks to the colony's access to the Indian Ocean, it soon saw itself housing a brand new Cokie fleet, dubbed the Indian Ocean Squadron. There were 30 ships in the Squadron, including five battleships, ten destroyers, five cruisers, and ten support vessels. In another display of xenophobic belligerence designed to cow other Fascist and Protestant powers, Chancellor Gamble had the Squadron go on the Grand Indian Ocean Tour in 1930, stopping in Dutch Ceylon, Dutch Indonesia, and Australia before circling back. In a calculated display of defiance on the journey home in December of 1930, the ships made basically harassed a small Dutch fleet out on patrol, swerving toward them with bellowing horns and "friendly warning shots." This caused a major incident with the Dutch government, especially when Chancellor Gamble refused to apologize for what he termed "A friendly and boisterous greeting." This caused the normally friendly relations between Dutch South Africa and Cokie Africa to freeze from 1931-1933, complete with reckless displays of military force by both sides. Analysts feared a potential war in Africa. Nonetheless, the lack of substantive consequences seemed to indicate a certain acquiescence on the part of the Dutch. They might have a bigger empire than the Cokies, but a war in Carolinian Africa would not end well for them.

This shows that in one crucial way, the Cokie project in Africa succeeded. It put them on a relatively level playing field with nations bigger and more powerful than them. The Protestant world, which looked down upon them as some kind of red-headed stepchild, was forced by Cokie hook and Cokie crook to acknowledge the nation as an actual player in world politics. Their colonialism was horrifically blood soaked, and their foreign interactions crude, but at the end of the day it worked in achieving their goals. Whether those goals were worthy is, of course, up for debate. But, it doesn't change the reality of their achievement.

1*HxpAYUIkyzRln0AmsDJ93g.jpeg

The Indian Ocean Squadron sails out of Yonderland for the Grand Indian Ocean Tour (1930)

8247d33ada582e6347b84f09e55e2920.jpg

Mittleafrikan officers salute Cokie troops during joint exercises in 1934

140808115345-ww1-in-africa-paul-von-lettow-vorbeck-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

Germanian colonial officials looking glum after being told off by Colonial Governor Tommy Jones (1915)

Why would they need to keep the "swarthy european" system away from Philly? They are all about inter-european discrimination.

As @Born in the USSA pointed out, Portuguese people are still considered Infees. The deportations aren't what they needed to hide, if anything I imagine they played them up tremendously. It's the whole "eh, you have blue eyes and paler skin, you're an Anglo-Saxon as long as you convert" thing they have to hide. Conveniently, the deportations provide a useful cover as long as you don't get too many Yankees poking around while the conversion process happens.

What about a switcheroo? "You keep those damned mongoloid Portuguesers in Jacksonland and we'll take all those Afro-Cokies you're oppressing?"

The next chapter relating to Africa is actually going to be about Yankee efforts to get Afro-Cokies out of Jacksonland.

As @Born in the USSA pointed out, Portuguese people are still considered Infees. The deportations aren't what they needed to hide, if anything I imagine they played them up tremendously. It's the whole "eh, you have blue eyes and paler skin, you're an Anglo-Saxon as long as you convert" thing they have to hide. Conveniently, the deportations provide a useful cover as long as you don't get too many Yankees poking around while the conversion process happens.
This is where the much vaunted Jacksonian pseudo-independence comes in pretty handy.
The next chapter relating to Africa is actually going to be about Yankee efforts to get Afro-Cokies out of Jacksonland.
Hooray for the separation but equality of the Pinnacle Races!*

*At least until Oswald's Velvet Cultural Revolution, then you Cokies are gonna have to put up with an endless stream of race-mixing polygamous kink pouring out of the Union airwaves. All hail the Manifest Destiny of the New Chosen, long may they reign!*