The Man in the High Castle on Amazon Prime

I predict Smith will essentially secede America from the Reich, which will collapse semi-peacefully. I think Japan will essentially reform.
How will the Reich collapse? Even if Smith secedes from the Greater Reich, he needs nukes, lot of them & some "rather" moderate Führer who dont just nukes America to kingdom come. In three seasons we didnt see one resistance cell outside of America or any meaningful opposition to the Reich. The only way I can see the Reich breaks up is in a Alexander the Great successors states kind of way. Some Gauleiters make their own petty little Empires, but still adhere to the shared Nazi culture.

Ah, I see.

I do know that while the Grasshopper Lies Heavy is a book in TMITHC, it is a film in the T.V. series (Is it accurate to call it a TV series?)

What is DBWI?
"Double-Blind What If", an AH within an AH. For example, because the Grasshopper Lies Heavy is an Allied victory written in an Axis victory, the Cold War is between a resurgent British Empire and a US that tackles it's race issues, ending in a British victory. The Slavs obviously would never amount to anything, and as the more racially pure nation it's obvious that the Brits would come out on top right? That's just how geopolitics in the author's experience works. In the series meanwhile Grasshopper is just a series of actual films from our normal world (or slight variants), rather than an Anglosphere brawl.

How will the Reich collapse? Even if Smith secedes from the Greater Reich, he needs nukes, lot of them & some "rather" moderate Führer who dont just nukes America to kingdom come. In three seasons we didnt see one resistance cell outside of America or any meaningful opposition to the Reich. The only way I can see the Reich breaks up is in a Alexander the Great successors states kind of way. Some Gauleiters make their own petty little Empires, but still adhere to the shared Nazi culture.

Getting the nukes seems like the easier part since the Nazis have placed a sizable part of their nuke deterrent in the plains states (and the middle of former Russia). The supporters seems like the hard part.

Ah, I see.

What is DBWI?

"A double-blind what if, or DBWI, is mainly seen in online alternate history discussion forums. The person creating the DBWI writes an alternate history scenario as if they themselves were from an alternate history. Thus, there is alternate history not just in the events being described, but in the perspective and assumptions behind them and in the supposed comparisons to “real” history. The most common DBWIs are where people supposedly from a world where event X went differently from our own history, wonder what the world would be like if event X had gone the way we know it really did. This is a particularly common conceit, to the point of cliche, in alternate history fiction. Characters often wonder what it would be like if history had gone differently, but they virtually always imagine the alternative as our own real history rather than any of the many, many other possibilities."

I honestly don't think they'll explain in detail if it happens.

An Alexandrine breakup might be exactly what happens. Himmler was radical enough to try Jahr Null in America, what else did he try? European Nazis may view him as a loose cannon and move against him.

Skimmed Season 4. Liked it. Definitively going to be one of those seasons that rewards repeated viewing.
One of the quibbles I have with it is that it strained for a happy ending. So many things fell luckily into place. The Japanese giving up. (i don't remember such an emphasis given to the BRA and the war in China previously?) Himmler getting murdered and overthrown. John Smith deciding to take a jaunt up to the Poconos on the day the war starts. His second-in-command deciding - ah, what the heck - who needs to be a Nazi.

When Rachel Nichols showed up as Martha, for a second I thought she was Juliana. The two actresses look pretty similar.

Edit:

What was that Ending? I'm so confused.

Last edited:
Just finished seeing it all.

Overall, I liked the season, but I don't think it should have been the last one.

I didn't understand the ending. What was I seeing? Who are those people and why are they arriving?

I'm on episode 9 now. My general impression so far is that I like the season, but I find some stuff to be rushed and happening too quickly. I get the impression that the storyline in 4 could have spanned two seasons.

Okay, so I just finished the show.
PROS:
In general I liked the development of the 4th season, how it focused in the Black Communist Rebels, the whole nazi-coup against Himmler and the scenes of everyone preparing in San Francisco for the Battle.

CONS:
The final scene didn't make sense to me, if I understood it correctly, the portal opened for all those killed by the Axis allowing them to return.
Lots of people were left out, like the people of Sabra, Juliana's mother, Ed and Jack, Sampson. Abendsen's origins were never reveales. The final appearance of Kiddo was too short.

In the end it was an amazing show, extremely well produced, the final was not great not terrible, acceptable.

SPOIL IT FOR US.

OK.

Long story short:

1) The Third Reich is still here;
2) The American Reich is still here;
3) The Japanese occupation of the Western States ended for no logical reason. The JPS replaced with some kind of Anarcho-Communist Black Supremacist State.
4) Half of the villains are still alive and unpunished.

The last scene of the last episode looks like it’s taken from your typical arthouse movie from the Great Visionary Director. "What, you didn’t understand anything? Go away, you stupid peasant, it’s not for you - it’s for highbrow critics."

So what was the purpose of all this? All these adventures, sacrifices, suffering of heroes and other good people?

What exactly did they achieve?

Nobody cares.

Last season, money has already been spent, we urgently need to close the project and move on.

Dixi.

I still need to finish watching the second-last episode and then watch the last one, though I broadly know how it ends. Will make a final evaluation then. On the whole I've enjoyed the season a good deal, though there are some issues. Some of these are plot issues, others relate to having to cram a rather big story into one season, which makes some developments appear rushed or contrived. Some plot developments would have also benefited from buildup in earlier seasons.

Also at the risk of sounding embarrassingly ignorant...how do I put things in spoilers?

Last edited: