Look to the West Volume VII: The Eye Against the Prism

Even in your country, it seems as though St. Laurent and Pearson are often drowned out in between the titanic personalities (and egos) of King and Trudeau.

St. Laurent is possibly a good example, but Pearson is well-remembered for helping to give us our flag.

In France, Ambroise Croizat would be similar and the whole fourth republic has been forgotten as "this instable time between WW2 and the return of de Gaulle" forgetting that it saw the creation of social security, of a minimum salary and France reconstuction.
I guess victors write history and this is seen quite well in this TL.

Skallagrim

Banned
In the Netherlands, we have this similar phenomenon, where everybody knows Prime Minister Drees (left office in '58) and Prime Minister Den Uyl (entered office in '73). Most people would be hard pressed to name just one of the seven Prime Ministers in between these two. Drees is such a giant in the popular imagination that is he is called Vadertje Drees ("Papa Drees", basically) and is probably the only left-winger who is universally loved (to the point that even the most far-right politicians in Dutch politics admire him).

He is often also credited with creating modern social security. In actual fact, his successor, Louis Beel, did a huge amount of work on that (both before his own ministry, and as Prime Minister). Most people don't even know Beel ever existed. Beel just had the bad luck of standing in the shadow of a universally competent and greatly admired man...

The fact Social Americanism is still talked about makes me wonder if Faulkner has more defenders than people are assuming, albeit probably in a sort of reverse case of "if not for Iraq, Blair would have been the greatest British PM" way.
This is named after a real lecture I've done - Owen went to one once.
So did @Martin23230 IIRC.

xsampa

Banned
America still has colonies in Nusantara after the war. Thande hasn't touched on soon to be former Indonesia, but it seems that they will be the most affected by the Societist takeover since *Carolina and *Nusantara will put additional strain on the ENA to manage them

America still has colonies in Nusantara after the war. Thande hasn't touched on soon to be former Indonesia, but it seems that they will be the most affected by the Societist takeover since *Carolina and *Nusantara will put additional strain on the ENA to manage them

There are a few more small Hanoverian possessions that I don't think are accounted for. There is a bit of territory in southern India and Iceland, unless I've forgotten something there.

I expect Indonesia to be covered in detail in some coming update. Since it is, together with Angola (and Congo?), apparently the first place outside South America the Combine expands into, it would be nice to have a closer look at how things unfold there.

There are a few more small Hanoverian possessions that I don't think are accounted for. There is a bit of territory in southern India and Iceland, unless I've forgotten something there.

The territory in India should be under the East India Company's jurisdiction.

Iceland has been mentioned, but I don't believe Thande's confirmed who is the current king. At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if either (a) Iceland ends up being annexed directly to the ENA, or (b) eventually gets its own monarch as well.

Iceland has been mentioned, but I don't believe Thande's confirmed who is the current king. At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if either (a) Iceland ends up being annexed directly to the ENA, or (b) eventually gets its own monarch as well.

Iceland could always go to Norden.

Iceland could always go to Norden.
Unlikely at this point. It's been tied to the Hanoverian block for over a century, and was partly settled by Anglophones.
I think it developed a very separate identity from the Scandinavian one. I suppose it will stay in personal union with the ENA, or perhaps will become a part of it eventually.

Maybe as an ENA-Norden Co-Dominium, to preserve Maximum Diversity!

A bit too early for Maximum Diversity(tm) for now. ;)

Unlikely at this point. It's been tied to the Hanoverian block for over a century, and was partly settled by Anglophones.
I think it developed a very separate identity from the Scandinavian one. I suppose it will stay in personal union with the ENA, or perhaps will become a part of it eventually.

Please, don't let it be annexed into America. This is why we need the prism.

As a series of Muslim-majority states that have oil and occasionally have pan-Malay movements like OTL Pan-Arabism

Sounds nationalistically blinded, amicus.

Last edited:
Also, the "Pan-Malay" discourse IOTL, which basically translates into Indonesian nationalism, is the product of the long time of union of most of the Archipelago under Dutch rule with Malay/Indonesian used as the local lingua franca of the colonial empire (the Dutch were remarkably uninterested in spreading Dutch to their colonial subjects in the East Indies). Cancel that, and any "Malay" identity becomese utterly unattractive to, say, most Javanese (not that they ever indentified as such IOTL, as opposed to adopting an Indonesian identity, primarily expressed in Malay).

This is what personal unions are for. ;)

Well, that was for the "eventually" part.

Anyway, I was updating my personal somewhat simplified map of this TL and I've realised that the ENA now has an enclave (exclave? Whatever...) in Nouvelle Oreléans and I don't like it. Just look at the attached image. :confounded:

It also kinda hurt removing the last bit of red (Hanoverian colour) from the British Isles. :cryingface:

Attachments

• lttw.png
    lttw.png
    61 KB · Views: 387
Anyway, I was updating my personal somewhat simplified map of this TL and I've realised that the ENA now has an enclave (exclave? Whatever...) in Nouvelle Oreléans and I don't like it. Just look at the attached image. :confounded:

Personally, I think that the ENA will end up annexing Carolina west of the Mississippi (and possibly some bits east) to secure a corridor to New Orleans, to avoid any problems when Societists take over Carolina.