The NextGen OTL Worlda Series

Is that in the right map projection?

You could also give a bit more detail to North America.

Blakley-maps.jpg
It is a Robinson projection that I distorted to fit the worlda, I believe, so it is slightly off laterally, but only by a few pixels in high latitudes.

I would have used those maps, but I couldn't make them fit the projection, and I didn't want the map to be partly guesswork.

It vanished a few million million years before the end of the Mesozoic.

It had receded substantially by the late Maastrichtian but still covered a large. Most of the Gulf Coast including Louisiana and Florida for instance, were definitely underwater by that time, it was split in half by that time but the northern half still snaked down to about North Dakota Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Fossil evidences hints at parts of South Dakota and Kansas possibly being underwater at even by 66 million years ago.

Of course, any map like this is hard to make accurate, since we can only infer in certain places.

Last edited:
Hi, so I know someone has likely already requested this before, but can we maybe have some more maps of the Classical Era? A map of the world in 49 BCE, just before Caesar crossed the Rubicon, would be nice. Perhaps a series covering the various Roman Civil Wars from Caesar crossing the Rubicon up to the Battle of Actium? Maps covering the Persian empire, Alexander, and the Diadochi or the rise of China would be nice too. I just feel like there's a pretty big jump between the 2500 BCE map and the 1 AD map, and if you're doing a TL set in the Bronze Age or Classical Era it might be helpful to have.

Hi, so I know someone has likely already requested this before, but can we maybe have some more maps of the Classical Era? A map of the world in 49 BCE, just before Caesar crossed the Rubicon, would be nice. Perhaps a series covering the various Roman Civil Wars from Caesar crossing the Rubicon up to the Battle of Actium? Maps covering the Persian empire, Alexander, and the Diadochi or the rise of China would be nice too. I just feel like there's a pretty big jump between the 2500 BCE map and the 1 AD map, and if you're doing a TL set in the Bronze Age or Classical Era it might be helpful to have.
I'm currently busy with going through and doing another review of all the maps we have already, but one of the first things I plan on doing once I'm done with those is expanding on the classical era since, as you said, there's a big gap there! I can't give an exact timetable, but if anyone else wants to do them, that'd certainly speed it up.

What software do you use to make worlda maps?
Any raster image editing software works. I personally use photoshop, but if you can't afford it, GIMP & Paint.net are both free and both work just as well; there isn't much need for photoshop except for small things that don't normally matter. I prefer photoshop for making the NextGen series simply because it has some transformation tools that allow me to distort images to fit the base map, but that ability isn't really needed for making alternate history maps, just the OTL ones. While you can use normal MS paint, I don't recommend it because. If you're a beginner, I'd recommend paint.net as it's more straightforward than GIMP.

I noticed some inaccuracies in the 18 century maps.
Swedish Finland consistently includes Karelia which was formally lost in 1721, and Spanish Florida should border French Lousiana in 1748 map I think. Again in 1748 map, the French eastern border does not seem right. Finally, the Shetlands are depicted as Danish which is obviously incorrect.
I could try to fix some of this myself, but I also suspect that there are several anachronisms about native states Africa (such as the Lakes kingdoms depicted as one) and Asia, which I would not not be able to deal with.

I noticed some inaccuracies in the 18 century maps.
Swedish Finland consistently includes Karelia which was formally lost in 1721, and Spanish Florida should border French Lousiana in 1748 map I think. Again in 1748 map, the French eastern border does not seem right. Finally, the Shetlands are depicted as Danish which is obviously incorrect.
I could try to fix some of this myself, but I also suspect that there are several anachronisms about native states Africa (such as the Lakes kingdoms depicted as one) and Asia, which I would not not be able to deal with.

I’m working through all the maps right now and should be getting to the 18th century maps soon enough. I had to backtrack a few days ago after I realized some of my new India stuff was off; I still aim to have the full set of revisions up around thanksgiving.