Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thanks for the feedback, and I absolutely agree. The annexation of Silesia was something I was really torn about earlier, but what you said makes a lot of sense; I’ll go back and undo that annexation in any future covers of the timeline.

Thank you! I made the base map from scratch in Illustrator by tracing a map of the German confederation in 1848, and making some adjustments to fit the timeline.

Have Scotland and Ireland got allies against the Valkist invasion? What was the casus belli? Also, how totalitarian is Angland? Have they got allies?

What governments do the INSR and the SSR have? How are the German states ruled?

Not allies as per se but there are many volunteer brigades fighting there, specially from Scandinavia and the Columbian nations (read US). Anglish ships are harassing trade with the Ireland and Scotland attacking any ship getting close, so you may expect one or two major international incidents which could cause a coalition against Angland.

The casus belli? Apparently a radio station in the Scottish border broadcasting the greatnesses of the Anglish race (that England is comparable to OTL nazis) was attacked by sane Scottish people and it all came crashing down. However the speed, planning and strength of the attack is intriguing, it looks pre-meditated, but that's impossible, the noble Anglo-Saxon wouldn't lie to cause a war, never.

It's completely totalitarian, almost to 1984 levels. The party controls everything, sees everything and knows everything. All citizens are recquired to carry an identification card all the time or risk being imprisoned or executed for being "covert dissidents". But it's even worse for the Welsh and whoever doesn't publicly speak the new Anglish language (they reformed English and de-Frenchified it, to look more German I guess). Saying any French or Latin word is punishable.

The INSR (Italian Social Nationalist Republic, it should be ISNR on the map) follows a sort of pseudo-communist ideology originated ITTL which advocates for a destruction of former social classes and the reemplacement of them, the elite, the vulgus (Latin for common people) and the basics. Of course the elite is formed by the party and the basics, which are living in state-enforced poverty, are the opposition groups. The state follows the principles of irredentism and unifying all the same people under a single state and banner, putting the growth of the nation above anything else except for the quality of life of the two upper classes. The ideology was created by a butterflied version of Heinrich Laufenberg and kept diverging from OTL ideologies over time.

SSR stands for Second Spanish Republic. The history of Spain is messy, as it collapsed during the opening stages of WW1 due to a variety of causes ranging from military mutinies to hyperinflation. The monarchy was kicked out but the new First Republic failed to mediate peace and made itself an enemy of France, fighting a two front war, which caused a counter-coup by Social Nationalist forces. At that point Portuguese and British forces had almost seized Madrid and the Emergency Government surrendered. However when the military dictator and his son (Primo de Rivera, both the OTL dictator and OTL leader of the phalanx) were murdered by terror attacks the state collapsed again in two rivalling factions. The Second Republic is one of them, leaded by a coalition of libertarian communists and socialdemocrats which lead a democratic government (so democratic anything to the right of social conservatism is outright banned).

How powerful is Persia? How is Kurdistan doing? Any tensions with Turkey and Persia?

Persia was ravaged by a civil war but the collapse of the British-backed faction due to the collapse of the British empire itself led to a victory by the Russian-puppeted Shah. Since then the Shah has introduced a series of reforms aimed at modernising the country and secularising it with help from Russia, resulting into a stable, relatively modern parliamentary monarchy.

Kurdistan is not that advanced, but at least it's no crazy dictatorship like Turkey (they've gone full islamist), think of OTL Iraq around the same time.

Yes, there are indeed tensions between Turkey and Persia, with the first calling the second an heretic hellhole. However the existance of Kurdistan and Armenia inbetween prevents a larger conflict, also worth noting Russian threats to destroy Turkey once for all should a war break out.

So how are the Copts doing in Egypt?

Fairly well, Egypt has followed the path of sescularisation. Islamists have tried a couple of times to take down the government but failed in every attempt. The monarch is not that much of a figurehead and has extense powers, however there is a parliament which limits the cappabilities of the king if it wasn't by the fact that the king can just dissolve the parliament and call for new elections, something which the monarchs haven't done as for yet. Back to the question, Copts have full citizenship and there is little hate against them.

Not so much a question as three remarks (which feel like nit-picking, but are intended to be helpful):

-- You have accidentally misspelled "Brazilian Workers' Front" as "Brazilian Wokrer's Front" (note both the reversed letters and the misplaced apostrophe).

-- I think "Second California Republic" should be Californian instead.

-- "Transorangia" should definitely be "Transorania" without a "g".

Whoops, I really messed up in Brazil then. The error in California is a typo, again. I was writing the names fast as hell as I wanted this to be posted before night, so yeah, expect many more mistakes and typos if you take a closer look. Transorangia is intentional.

Well for starters, what's the PoD? Is there one or many?

Well, this has many PoD's, some dating back to the 14th century, but which don't really begin to affect the developement of the TL until the American Revolution, which results in a victory for the rebels including Nova Scotia but the US breaks up during it's 20 first years due to corruption and inter-state disputes.

Not quite sure if those borders of Texas are viable in an ATL that has most definitely butterflied the Adams-Onís Treaty.

That Texas has always been a headache in this whole TL. Those borders are indeed implausible and out of context, I would have to ask to myself seven months ago to know the answer... but I've grown up to like that little ASB thing in the map, after all Adams-Onís borders aren't arbitrary, and a border following the Rio Grande makes sense.

I'm so glad you were an Elysium fan! There have been about seven million attempts to write something else, current one that I'm likely to put out is another election night TL this time set in the alt-US which will then expand out to a more worldwide thing, which should help me flesh out the rather simplistic and occasionally daft world beyond Europe. I hope FNGB continues to entertain.

Oh I think I haven't been super clear; The Fraternal Commonwealth and Albion and Eire are the same thing, that's the name of that country not any international union. Those small territories are their direct overseas holdings whilst the other nations with (FC) underneath are effectively dominions of the FC; semi-independent states. They've got the FC tag to demonstrate that they're associated. Again, think early OTL Dominions (more 1880-1920 than 1945 era).

Ah I see! They had more of the east coast, a holding which was a useful base to shore up their colonies in Indonesia and gave them a pacific port (China/Huaxia, the FC and Dutch somewhat beat them too the easiest spots to gran) but Portugal territory to the Whenua (Maori) in a series of wars.

Yes! That's exactly what I love about the entryway colonialism, I think the cities themselves will be fascinating to write about; the fusions of cultures will be great.

China's history is a bit of a mess; the Qing had a very bad time very early on and were replaced with a new dynasty in the early 18th century who had a golden age of exploration, development and expansion (leading to Chunguo and a few other outposts) only to then crash hard to civil war in the mid 19th century, leading to the balkanisation and treaty ports. China icurrency ruled as a sort of Bureaucratic Oligarchy by the Scholar-Officials and are pretty firmly recognised as a great power since the early 20 century.

All very interesting. Just a few more questions about Europe:

The borders of Hungary (Magyaria) with Roumelia east of Serbia and (Moldavia? Romania?) seem sort of random, with no clear relation to topography or historical borders. How did that come about?
What's the DGS? And is its existence related to those rather peculiar western borders of Saxony and Brandenburg?
So the Dutch manage to annex the Spanish/Austrian Netherlands roughly within the 1700 borders? How do they deal with the religious issue?

Oh, and is the Nayanu empire Vietnamese in origin?

Last edited:
upload_2019-10-26_16-4-14.png

use this maybe idk

First time doing a map in this style, but I'm really happy with how it came out. Here's the 2000 election for the German Confederation's lower house (The Assembly of Delegates).

The point of divergence is the 1863 Frankfurt Reform Act manages to pass (OTL it failed by a single vote), which enacted sweeping institutional revisions to the German Confederation. These reforms include an actually functional bicameral legislature. The lower house - the Assembly of Delegates - is proportional to that of their state governments. In the Upper House (the Bundesrat) every state gets one vote, except Austria, who gets 3.

Prussia, which threatened to leave the Confederation if this reform passed OTL, leaves the confederation two weeks after the reform bill is passed. The Austro-Prussian war happens 3 years early, however this time Austria comes out on top. Austria annexes Silesia, Westphalia is split off from Prussia to form a new state in the confederation, and Saxony takes back some of the territory it lost after the Napoleonic Wars. The confederation refuses to re-admit Prussia after the war. Hungary remains part of the Austrian Empire, however it is excluded from all legislation passed within the confederation. Hungary eventually splits off in the 20th century (I don't really know when, why, or how yet). Prussia never re-joins the confederation, and over the next century it goes on to form a unique national identity distinct from that of the rest of Germany.

At the turn of the millennium, the Social Democratic Party is on the back foot after dominating the Assembly of Delegates from the mid 70's through the mid 90's. The protestant, right wing National Conservative party has made sweeping gains in the past decade in the east. The Center party now seeks to form a coalition government with the Free Democratic party to gain a slim majority in the Assembly.

I plan on making more maps for this timeline sometime in the future, and I really want to flesh out this universe more.

View attachment 497422

Nice map, but pretty weird that Zentrum a Catholic Party get so many votes in areas like Hanover, Oldenburg and Württemberg (overwhelming Lutheran but with Catholic minority) and the Mecklenburgs (99% Lutheran)

Nice map, but pretty weird that Zentrum a Catholic Party get so many votes in areas like Hanover, Oldenburg and Württemberg (overwhelming Lutheran but with Catholic minority) and the Mecklenburgs (99% Lutheran)

Unless Zentrum is no longer an explicitly Catholic party, but instead a broad Christian Democratic party.

Germanien (Germany) in 2021.
After WW2, Germany was left disunified but as big as its Pre-WW2 state. After Brandenburg Unified with German Prussia, Germany came to be in 1979. Germany was Economically stable and quickly expanded to rest of German lands. Nederlands (Named that way) and Flander part of Belgium joined. Austria got Italian lands because they fought against Germany with resistance leading to WW2. Today, Germany is Just like OTL Germany, Economically Strong and growing fast. The Nation is divided to 4 Subregions.
Deutschland:
Germany's main area. Most government actions and people live here.
Nordbelgien: Northern Belgium. Kind of Flanders like.
Österreich: Austria but with Trieste
Polen: Eastern Province that wanted more Autonomy.
Here's the Map:
germanien.png

Edit: Fixed Map issues and Description issues.

Last edited:
Germanien (Germany) in 2021.
After WW2, Germany was left disunified but as big as its Pre-WW2 state. After Brandenburg Unified with German Prussia, Germany came to be in 1979. Germany was Economically stable and quickly expanded to rest of German lands. Nederlands (Named that way) and Flander part of Belgium joined. Austria got Italian lands because they fought against Germany with resistance leading to WW2. Today, Germany is Just like OTL Germany, Economically Strong and growing fast. The Nation is divided to 4 Subregions.
Deutschland:
Germany's main area. Most government actions and people live here.
Nordbelgien: Basically Flanders.
Österreich: Austria but with Trieste and Milan (nut sure about mulan sorry.)
Polen: Eastern Province that wanted more Autonomy.
Here's the Map:
View attachment 497525

That Nordbelgien is not Flanders, Austria does not have Milan and the town shown as Vienna seems to be Salzburg. Vienna is to the northeast of that on the river (Danube).

The result of World War 2, except in this world it's an allied UK, France, Poland, Yugoslavia, Turkey, USA, and Japan defeating an Axis primarily made of Germany, Italy, China, and the USSR.

I haven't come up with a detailed backstory; it's not very realistic.

ww2.png

The result of World War 2, except in this world it's an allied UK, France, Poland, Yugoslavia, Turkey, USA, and Japan defeating an Axis primarily made of Germany, Italy, China, and the USSR.

I haven't come up with a detailed backstory; it's not very realistic.

View attachment 497550
> allied victory in wwii
> industrial genocide or forced migration of hundreds of millions of people

Can't say I'm a fan!

Version 3 of my Golden Circle map, here are all the changes made:
South American borders changed
Lore changes to Italy and Portugal: they joined Britain and got punished for it
Divisions for Yugoslavia
Golden Circle-World Map 2019.png

Hi, I'm back after haven't making any maps for a while. Yes, I'm doing another "pop culture series" world map but this one is much simple this time.

Anyway, any of you enjoyed the new Modern Warfare campaign? For me, I really enjoyed the MW Reboot campaign despite the cliched tropes and how cartoonish Barkov and the Russians seems to be. But that is beside the point that I want to make in this pic:
My biggest problem would be the location of Urzikstan itself. For a country located in Caucasus, it doesn't make sense to have an arid desert environment in a place where the Black Sea provides it with the moist and the wind unless the coast is very mountainous. And the since name implied it has Persian influence, I've decided to move it to the east of Caspian Sea and west of Kazakhstan and the arid environment would fit well in Central Asia.

urzikstan_mw2019_final.png

For a country located in Caucasus, it doesn't make sense to have an arid desert environment in a place where the Black Sea provides it with the moist and the wind unless the coast is very mountainous. And the since name implied it has Persian influence, I've decided to move it to the east of Caspian Sea and west of Kazakhstan and the arid environment would fit well in Central Asia.

View attachment 497615

Nope. MW Urzikstan = OTL Syria (what to do, apparently developers have very poor knowledge in geography). And in game it all looks very funny, given the recent events in Syria. Damn, even Goebbels propaganda came out better than this rubbish from Activision...

Last edited:
@Arcavius posted an interesting little ISOT on the ASB thread where Israel- sans West Bank and Gaza but with the Golan and East Jerusalem- gets sent back to September 1, 1939. I felt like taking a crack at it, but I don't have the energy for a long detailed write-up. If you want more then ask questions.

Etn020i.png

Nope. MW Urzikstan = OTL Syria (what to do, apparently developers have very poor knowledge in geography). And in game it all looks very funny, given the recent events in Syria. Damn, even Goebbels propaganda came out better than this rubbish from Activision...

lol I'm aware that Urzikstan is supposed to be a parody of Syria in MW Reboot Universe. But the "-stan" suffix means that the country probably had Persian influence (i.e, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kurdistan, Dagestan, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.