Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

They charge exactly what the market will bear.
The “market” is not an excuse for greedy and contemptible behavior no matter how much people like to pretend it is.

and this is exactly the same reasoning used to justify micro transactions, loot boxes, day 1 DLC, and every other shitty behavior that permeates the industry. It isn’t suddenly valid because Paradox is doing it.

Firaxis did it. Three times. Civ III to Civ IV, Civ IV to Civ V, and Civ V to Civ VI.
Maxis did it. The Sim II to The Sims III.

Any game that has buttloads of DLC or Expansions, or even only a few, is going to feel less than its previous title. That's just how it is and always has been with games like CK2 and the ones above, plus plenty more. It's a well-documented phenomena in the video game industry. Shockingly people are playing Civ VI now much more than they were at release. Why? Because it's gotten expansions and now has as much to offer as its previous title.
I dont dispute any of this because this isn't my argument. Of course Ck3 is never going to be able to beat Ck2 on release. My argument is that Ck3 should be able to stand on it's own on release and be a good game even without the DLC that comes later. I think Ck3 actually looks like it will be better about DLC considering it's not locking certain religions like CK2 did.
Who says the game they are giving you is half a game anyways? And who cares if it IS when it isn't a $70 title? CK2 was what? $40 at release? This stuff takes time and money to make, they can't give you a CK3 similar to a CK2 with eight years of additional support and labour. Do they give you a $40 game? That's what you should ask. And if the answer is no? Who cares? Just vote with your wallet. Either wait for a sale to justify it to yourself or just don't buy it at all.
I do. Imperator was not the experience we expected, and my argument is that Paradox ought to release Ck3 as a game able to stand on it's own merits without dlc before being expanded on with dlc. And to be frank, I never buy games for $70. Just because it's less expensive than other games doesn't mean it's not full price. And I intend to vote with my wallet, but again you misrepresent my argument. I'm not expecting it to be as good as Ck2 on release. I never said that.
Plenty of games operate this way, you can release a game and make it good with DLC. That's the world we live in and it has a much longer precedent that isn't the same as the obviously negative current slew of exploitative and greedy microtransaction full-price shovelware we see with the likes of Fallout 76, Star Wars: Battlefront 2 by EA, and other garbage that what Paradox is doing shouldn't be compared to. You're getting a $40 game with the promise of long term support and content focus on that price point not whether or not it holds up to a completely unfair comparison with a game that has eight years of post-release support.
This is just expanding on your rebuttal to an argument I never made. It's a convenient strawman, but again: I don't expect it to be as good as CK2. I expect it to be a game that stands on it's own merits with dlc expanding on the game without locking entire sections of the game like Ck2 did.
I mean, it's a niche market. As my roommate once said while seeing me play, "that's not even really a game." And the thing is, even the base games by most standards have a ridiculous amount of content. Perhaps it is half, but it's half of a sizable pie. Not to mention that the Devs have made shifts in DLC based on how people choose to play (for example- Way of Life and Monks and Mystics were released largely because the Devs saw players using it as a character RPG as much as a typical Grand Strategy).

Also, I'd say the problem with Imperator is we really don't know a lot about many of the civilizations at play, making them tough to flesh out.
I dont disagree with any of this. I just expect the game to stand on it's own and not require another year of development after release to be playable for most of the playerbase. I hope that they continue the trend of dlc that Way of Life and Monks and Mystics established.

Last edited:
capitalism, and I mean in the sense of shareholder control/financialization, not market mechanisms.

note how paradox's game quality has gone to hell since they became a publicly traded company

I for one expect CK3 at launch to be as good as CK2 at present state. A sequel should at least match its predecessor. Otherwise what’s the point of a sequel? I don’t mean that every feature in CK2 should be in CK3, but the game should compensate with other content. The fact that we’re not even getting arifacts and Byzantine portraits really triggers me on its own. What’s next, bloodlines?

The fact that we’re not even getting arifacts and Byzantine portraits really triggers me on its own.
This is worrying, I’ve always thought that byzantine portraits (and now also the french ones) were some of the best graphic addition to the game. I really wish that this new Crusader Kings can do justice to the empire both graphically and mechanic-wise.

Bulldoggus

Banned
Hot take: I'm really sick of everyone and their mum doing Roman Restoration for CK2. I get the appeal, but there are other ways to have fun.

This is worrying, I’ve always thought that byzantine portraits (and now also the french ones) were some of the best graphic addition to the game. I really wish that this new Crusader Kings can do justice to the empire both graphically and mechanic-wise.

I will use whatever weeb anime portraits mod that gets made for CK3

Hot take: I'm really sick of everyone and their mum doing Roman Restoration for CK2. I get the appeal, but there are other ways to have fun.

Like doing a Roman Restoration for EU4.

I will use whatever weeb anime portraits mod that gets made for CK3

I would rather have everything that I need in the game rather than having to rely on mods (besides the new 3D model would make modding more difficult). I understand that they couldn’t do a proper job in CK2 with anything but French feudalism, but I would at least expect some improvements for anything east of the Adriatic in this new installment. Anyway it’s too early to complain and fingers crossed it will be even greater that its predecessor.

I would rather have everything that I need in the game rather than having to rely on mods (besides the new 3D model would make modding more difficult). I understand that they couldn’t do a proper job in CK2 with anything but French feudalism, but I would at least expect some improvements for anything east of the Adriatic in this new installment. Anyway it’s too early to complain and fingers crossed it will be even greater that its predecessor.

So you want weeb anime portraits to be the default portrait style? :p

Bulldoggus

Banned
Does anyone have the full background TL for Lux Invicta? I’ve been able to find most but not at all.

I like LI, but find it overfragmented. It should be like vanilla- you can either expand already-powerful entities or save ones on the back foot.

So you want weeb anime portraits to be the default portrait style? :p
Probably an error on my part. The message I was trying to convey is that I would rather see what I deem essential for the game already in the base version of it, rather than wait for moders to fix it. This includes having the gameplay as the empire feel completely different from a western european gameplay. They did a good job with the last expansion (Holy Fury) but I want to see more love for the Romans this time.
You can play as someone other than the Byzantines? Since when?
Half of my gameplays started with Alexios Komnenos. That’s the only way we Byzantinophiles can play the game.

Probably an error on my part. The message I was trying to convey is that I would rather see what I deem essential for the game already in the base version of it, rather than wait for moders to fix it. This includes having the gameplay as the empire feel completely different from a western european gameplay. They did a good job with the last expansion (Holy Fury) but I want to see more love for the Romans this time..

Yea, with that I agree. I am curious though PDX apparently said pagans will play significantly different in ck3 compared to ck2. any ideas what that might be like?