McGoverning

Senator is a great book, I love Drew, but to the point: it is free to borrow online :).

You see, this? Stuff like this? That's why the Careful Readers are the best. I wouldn't trade any of you guys, and am lucky to have y'all.

On a separate note while I've got @Electric Monk here, loved the art-gallery poll. Reminds me a little of Tom Hanks' not altogether sarcastic remark in 2004 that "nobody I know in Vail voted for Bush..." Per Dave Leip McGovern won two out of every three votes in New York County and similar in Bronx County (won Kings County too, though not surprisingly not Nassau) even IOTL. These contrasts are likely to be heightened ITTL, in much the same way that the East River is "a bit wet."

What the poll tells me is that there needs to be a lot more museums and art galleries ;).

‘I live in a rather special world. I only know one person who voted for Nixon. Where they are I don’t know. They’re outside my ken. But sometimes when I’m in a theater I can feel them.'”
—Pauline Kael

I'm grateful; Elizabeth Drew is a brilliant writer, and amusingly enough, she follows me on Twitter.

That’s awesome! Also awesome: she has like ten books available to borrow. There’s a ton of great out of print or hard to find books on the Internet Archive, including plenty of Jules Witcover for instance.

For those that sensibly don’t read my test thread, this may also be of interest: the American Enterprise Institute’s archive of election studies mostly of the late ‘70s. The list of ones you can download is here, just search on the AEI’s website for the titles. They are written shortly after the election in question and usually edited by the great Howard R. Penniman.

I'm grateful; Elizabeth Drew is a brilliant writer, and amusingly enough, she follows me on Twitter.

Love this. If you tweet like you write here not altogether surprised, but, love.

What the poll tells me is that there needs to be a lot more museums and art galleries ;).

‘I live in a rather special world. I only know one person who voted for Nixon. Where they are I don’t know. They’re outside my ken. But sometimes when I’m in a theater I can feel them.'”
—Pauline Kael

One of the classic lines of that era.

That's awesome! Also awesome: she has like ten books available to borrow. There’s a ton of great out of print or hard to find books on the Internet Archive, including plenty of Jules Witcover for instance.

For those that don’t read my test thread, this may also be of interest: the American Enterprise Institute’s archive of election studies mostly of the late ‘70s. The list of ones you can download is here, just search on the AEI’s website for the titles. They are written shortly after the election in question and usually edited by the great Howard R. Penniman.

Even more goodness! Yeah the AEI election studies are classics. Back in the days when, rather like the actual-news pages of the WSJ, AEI actually put out a lot of good "straight" statistical research, which they then predictably bent to fit their ideological lens, but the spadework was really good quality.

A couple of images for the Careful Readers' delectation.

First, a view of an "alternate 1970s" from OTL, during an Operation Breadbasket fundraiser in Chicago. As the Rockefellerest Republican not named Rockefeller or Bill Scranton, Chuck Percy (until his famous 1978 primary challenge) was quite keen to point out how pro-civil rights he was.

I just plain like this one for reasons that shouldn't need explaining - a student campaign speech on behalf of McGovern in a class election. In 1980 my elementary school "re-elected" Carter with John Anderson in second: tbf my elementary school was the first in Nashville, TN deliberately built to be integrated and had a large Jewish neighborhood population besides.

Now this one's reallly for the Careful Readers:
McGoverning Best Laid Plans McGovern Kennedy Mankiewicz quizzed Medicare 1973.jpg

See that Secret Service guy behind and in between George and Teddy? That's the Secret Service guy who rushes in through the Oval Office door in the latest chapter when Pfc. Preston buzzes the White House grounds. Yes I do have a thing for g r a n u l a r i t y, no it's not a problem, what do you mean "intervention"? ...

I demand a scene from McGoverning!That 70's Show when we reach the end of the decade now.

Hey, we've already had Randy Newman's alternate/TTL lyrics for "Louisiana 1927" that include a reference to George, this thing you've asked for, it could happen eventually...

Hey, we've already had Randy Newman's alternate/TTL lyrics for "Louisiana 1927" that include a reference to George, this thing you've asked for, it could happen eventually...

With all the changes in the TL, we don’t even know if “That 70’s Show” will be created.