TL-191: Featherston's Finest - Uniforms, Weapons, and Vehicles of the CSA and Freedom Party

They did mention hats like that, yes. In fact, i see Stetson type hats replacing peaked caps in the CS Army.

Further, Khaki varies in shade, so darker brown is plausible. If you look at WWII US and Germany uniforms, no two manufacturers made them to the exact same shade.

Yes ans if he is please input Mr Turtledove!

Many of us on this thread and on other threads have lent some interesting ideas and even made some cool concepts for fleshing out the military of the Confederacy here, especially airplanes, tanks, and other things as well.

Found this online and both seem to be pretty solid contenders for Confederate uniforms.
vroeu9nwaza31.png

The fact that Nazi Germany also tailored its fair share of kepis also makes it logical to retain that particular piece of headgear, at least for the Confederate States of America (one might also suggest that the French Alliance helped keep Francophile military fashions front and centre to boot); I do suspect that metal cap badges would be removed for the duration of the conflict thought (and I do tend to agree that the Union uniform would benefit from a little alt-history twist to help make it just different enough to be memorable).

Having said that I have been more than favourably impressed by the artwork posted here and it would be extremely unfair of me to pretend otherwise!:)

I have actually been mulling over this recently. One of the main issues I find with the Freedom Party from a literary standpoint is that they aren't nearly as compelling villains as the Nazis. Their Southern Fried Fascism is more boring by comparison, mainly because Jake the Snake is sort of like a record player with a fixed record. He has a few tunes he plays, and thats it. The CSA has cool weapons, and some cool outfits (adding a bit of cowboy and Waffen-SS to the WWII American look). But they signally lack the deeper Romantic Nationalist ideology that makes Nazi iconography and ideology so interesting as antagonists. The Nazis had an institutional attachment to Germanic pagan symbology, but the Freedom Party is far more pragmatic. Like Communists without the communism.

In all honesty the best visual hook for the Freedom Party look is the "It COULD have happened here" aspect; taking elements from American History and classic Americana, then stewing them together with a heaping helping of vitriol to brew up a Southern-fried all-American Nazi Party should work very well to creep out audiences (at least US sympathetic audiences).

Found the source: https://www.reddit.com/r/worldbuilding/comments/cemzf4/art_my_settings_version_of_the_usa/

The Confederate uniform is okay (without the kepi hat). It's the uniform of the Army of the Union that I don't like. Too boring for me.

I agree. I always pictured the US wearing Americanized versions of German uniforms, as the WWII pattern from real life dates from...well, WWII XD.

a good approximation i've found is Bundeswehr uniforms from the 1950's:
379605d1344172587-affenjacke-p1290210.jpg

I agree. I always pictured the US wearing Americanized versions of German uniforms, as the WWII pattern from real life dates from...well, WWII XD.

a good approximation i've found is Bundeswehr uniforms from the 1950's:
379605d1344172587-affenjacke-p1290210.jpg
That's pretty good but Turtledove had the US invent the stalhelm before the Germans did so it was the Germans in TL-191 who copied the Americans not the other way around as far as the helmet went.

That's pretty good but Turtledove had the US invent the stalhelm before the Germans did so it was the Germans in TL-191 who copied the Americans not the other way around as far as the helmet went.

I was more referring to the cut of the Uniforms. I elaborate a bit in the US counterpart to this forum page.