Map of the Fortnight: Main Discussion Thread

Since it is approaching Samhain, I'd like to propose the following:

Things that go bump in the night
Make a map of an OTL historical event, that is influenced by supernatural beings or phenomena (e.g the Russian revolution, but with Vampires)

Deleted member 107125

Bohemian Rhapsody
Depict an fictional Central or Eastern European nation (à la Ruritania, Syldavia, or Zubrowka) and its history.
Where Kings Die
Depict a nation in exile plotting to get back to the homeland after it is taken over by an unfriendly nation or a revolution
I want to break free
Depict the secession of a state from the USA (excluding real ones)
(Not) Shanghai Nights
A map focusing on a state that has a similar government to the Shanghai International Settlement’s treaty ports or the League of Nations mandates (mostly the first one).

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of my own MOTF suggestions:

Guns of the North
Depict a civil war or revolution going the other way (I.E., the North seceding from the South in the ACW, monarchists rising up against the USSR during the Russian Revolution, etc.)

(This could alternatively be named "No, U" or "Uno Reverse Card," depending on how meme-y you want it to be.)

The Autumn of Nations
Depict a region whose status quo is in its twilight years and the countries there are falling apart. However, this should not show the actual breakup of the region, just its decline.

Or, just in time for Halloween:

Deal with the Devil
Depict an alliance between a decidedly "good" nation and a decidedly "bad" nation.

Could it be possible to include Western Europe too? I have a idea kinda of the Russians conquering all of Europe and then going mad Stalin leaving... Interesting effects?

Ask here, delete your comment on the other thread.

The contest said any post soviet state, any state that either was part of the USSR or used to be communist and allied with the USSR, Kaiphranos explicitely said states like cuba work, so western europe would surely work.

One Planet, one nation
Depict a world(either our lovely little mud ball or a fictional planet) under the control of one nation (rebellions are optional but encouraged).
Edit: Feel free to use a much looser definition of World if you choose to employ a fantasy setting.

Last edited:
Some of my own MOTF suggestions:

Guns of the North
Depict a civil war or revolution going the other way (I.E., the North seceding from the South in the ACW, monarchists rising up against the USSR during the Russian Revolution, etc.)

(This could alternatively be named "No, U" or "Uno Reverse Card," depending on how meme-y you want it to be.)
I second this one!

Crazy Boris

Banned
I came up with an idea for a prompt months ago but couldn’t think of a name for it until now here it is

No Port, No Problem

Depict a landlocked nation with an overseas colony (with the caveat that the colony has to be established while the country is landlocked, not having it created while the colonizing power has a coastline only to lose it and become landlocked later)

I came up with an idea for a prompt months ago but couldn’t think of a name for it until now here it is

No Port, No Problem

Depict a landlocked nation with an overseas colony (with the caveat that the colony has to be established while the country is landlocked, not having it created while the colonizing power has a coastline only to lose it and become landlocked later)
You know, I have been wanting to do a colonial Ulm map with New Ulm (the town) with it

I have a question about the Goodbye Lenin entry, because from reading, I don't understand:

This is an alternate Soviet bloc, not an alternate dissolution?
It it possible that a communist country still exists in the East, but it is the only one and is communist in only name only and there isn't much of a bloc to speak anymore? Or does some kind of big-boy communist country need to exist calling the shots in satellites?
I mean, my idea is thinking Able Archer 83 goes hot with Europe becoming nuclear hellfire and multiple unions being formed and there being simply a rump Russia divided between a Soviet & other Russia.

I have a question about the Goodbye Lenin entry, because from reading, I don't understand:

This is an alternate Soviet bloc, not an alternate dissolution?
It it possible that a communist country still exists in the East, but it is the only one and is communist in only name only and there isn't much of a bloc to speak anymore? Or does some kind of big-boy communist country need to exist calling the shots in satellites?
I mean, my idea is thinking Able Archer 83 goes hot with Europe becoming nuclear hellfire and multiple unions being formed and there being simply a rump Russia divided between a Soviet & other Russia.

The map should show the after effects of an alternate dissolution. A surviving rump USSR could be part of that, and nuclear war could certainly be a mechanism for the dissolution.

I have a few ideas for future MOTF prompts. I'm not sure if some of them have been done (I haven't seen every MOTF contest) so, i apologize in advance if there's any repetition. Also, feel free to change the titles if you do accept any of these.

On the High Seas:
An alternate history map whose main focus is borders on the water. It could depict an alternate territorial waters dispute, the range of a group of pirates (like this map of Somalian pirate attacks) or a map showing the range of a country's submarine attacks during a war. These are just examples, anything else focusing on maritime borders/areas of activity or control is acceptable.

A Mother and her Children:
Depict an alternate "colonial commonwealth" wherein a multiple countries and the country that previously ruled them maintain close ties (economic, diplomatic, military or any combination of those). This allows for organizations like the commonwealth, where a country maintains close ties to its former colonies or something like the Commonwealth of Independent States wherein countries that broke off from a land empire still maintain a connection to their former conqueror.

[edit: Balkanize Me]:
A map depicting an alternate breakup of a Yugoslav/Pan Nationalist South Slavic state. It can be an alternate breakup of the OTL Yugoslavia or the breakup of an alternate South Slavic union (like an Illyrian federation led by Croatia or a Yugoslavia including Bulgaria or even one led by Bulgaria or whatever else you come up with). The only caveat is it must break up (mainly) due to internal pressures, not as a result of a partition by foreign powers (as was the case with Yugoslavia during WWII).

Thank you to Dr. Nodelescu for the name. It fits perfectly.

Back into the fold or Return of the Prodigal Son:
A map depicting a nation rejoining a multinational group (alliance, economic union, etc.) after being kicked out (using OTL analogues, it's like South Africa rejoining the commonwealth, Britain rejoining the EU or Yugoslavia or Albania rejoining the Soviet sphere of influence). The Alternate History aspect of it should obviously be visible in the map, maybe have visibly different borders, and alternate international union or something similar so that the AH aspect is visible without the writeup.

Layers and Layers:
Depict multiple levels of administrative divisions of a country

--- name pending ---:
Depicts human-made changes to the map (ie poldering, creating or draining lakes while making large hydroelectric dams, bomb craters? Whatever human-induced change to a landmass you can think of)

Last edited:
All's well that ends well
Depict a nation which has undergone significant hardships in the time it took them to achieve their current borders.

(Don't Fear) The Reaper
Depict a country with a death worshiping cult as it's official or most common religion.

The more thing's change (the more they stay the same)
Have a country presenting itself as benevolent, while actually committing the same crimes and atrocities as the previous regime.

Last edited:
I have a few ideas for future MOTF prompts. I'm not sure if some of them have been done (I haven't seen every MOTF contest) so, i apologize in advance if there's any repetition. Also, feel free to change the titles if you do accept any of these.

On the High Seas:
An alternate history map whose main focus is borders on the water. It could depict an alternate territorial waters dispute, the range of a group of pirates (like this map of Somalian pirate attacks) or a map showing the range of a country's submarine attacks during a war. These are just examples, anything else focusing on maritime borders/areas of activity or control is acceptable.

A Mother and her Children:
Depict an alternate "colonial commonwealth" wherein a multiple countries and the country that previously ruled them maintain close ties (economic, diplomatic, military or any combination of those). This allows for organizations like the commonwealth, where a country maintains close ties to its former colonies or something like the Commonwealth of Independent States wherein countries that broke off from a land empire still maintain a connection to their former conqueror.

--- name pending ---:
A map depicting an alternate breakup of a Yugoslav/Pan Nationalist South Slavic state. It can be an alternate breakup of the OTL Yugoslavia or the breakup of an alternate South Slavic union (like an Illyrian federation led by Croatia or a Yugoslavia including Bulgaria or even one led by Bulgaria or whatever else you come up with). The only caveat is it must break up (mainly) due to internal pressures, not as a result of a partition by foreign powers (as was the case with Yugoslavia during WWII).

Back into the fold or Return of the Prodigal Son:
A map depicting a nation rejoining a multinational group (alliance, economic union, etc.) after being kicked out (using OTL analogues, it's like South Africa rejoining the commonwealth, Britain rejoining the EU or Yugoslavia or Albania rejoining the Soviet sphere of influence). The Alternate History aspect of it should obviously be visible in the map, maybe have visibly different borders, and alternate international union or something similar so that the AH aspect is visible without the writeup.

Layers and Layers:
Depict multiple levels of administrative divisions of a country

--- name pending ---:
Depicts human-made changes to the map (ie poldering, creating or draining lakes while making large hydroelectric dams, bomb craters? Whatever human-induced change to a landmass you can think of)

You don't need to apologize. I guess that a year so (i.e. 50 rounds of MotF) make for an appropriate amount of time to reintroduce an old contest idea. #3 could just be called Balkanize Me. And your #6 would be a third re-run of Making A Mark On The Map. I also used to have idea #4 back in the days, I called it:
The Cake Was A Lie, Eat The Humble Pie
Make a map where a polity returns fettered into a community which it proudly used to withdraw from.

Yeah, of course I mean Brexit. But you can also take a re-integration of a recently reformed former pariah state into the international community. Or just Catalonia. Have your cake and eat it too. Cheers.

I guess the most neutral form from all those combinations and the most flexible one would be this, I'd also propose it that way:

Back Into The Fold
Make a map where a polity returns into a community which it used to withdraw from.

And of course, I've still got my old proposals:

Backstop? What Backstop? (aka Greener Pastures II, a re-run of MotF 98)
Make a map showing a legal discrepancy between countries that prompts related border traffic.

The Boy Who Lived
Make a map of a country with its former political system surviving to the present day.

I Love You, You Pay My Rent

Make a map of a fiscal redistribution scheme.

Making The Best Of An Awkward Situation
Make a map of a place, project or other endeavor that has been abandoned by the group that started it.

Our Father's Father Says That Things Were Better Then
Make a map depicting an attempted or successful socio-economic or socio-cultural political backlash. (Wahhabi-influenced Political Islam? Chavista Venezuela? Western World Alt-Right? You name it!)

The Age of Miracles is Over: Create a map depicting a country that miraculously survived past its OTL expiration date, only to now be facing its long awaited extinction.
The Faro Plague: Create a map depicting the progress of a rogue AI swarm.
The Scramble for Space: Create a map depicting a colonial division of an non-Earth interplanetary object.
A New Atlantis: Create a map depicting an underwater nation.