TL-191: Featherston's Finest - Uniforms, Weapons, and Vehicles of the CSA and Freedom Party

Well they look like Aryan Brotherhood members. So I'm guessing the idea is that they are some sort of neo-confederates but it doesn't really work imho because unlike the OTL Nazi's the Freedom Party don't seem to have gone in for Germanic Paganism and occultism.
The tats would be because of traditional british, that is druidic tatooing.

The tats would be because of traditional british, that is druidic tatooing.

But the iconography is Germanic paganism/19th century German not Celtic. Also while most neo-Confederates presumably focus on their hatred of Yankees they aren't likely to be big fans of the other Central Power, Germany.

I would imagine the CSA would embrace English or French medieval lore and mythology, considering their allies and their heritage. lots of Tories in the southern Colonies during the Revolution, it was actually something of a struggle for the Continental Congress to get them on side.

So perhaps they'd embrace Arthurian legend and lore, Templar knights and so forth. The Ottomans were among their erstwhile enemies (Ally of my Enemy is my Enemy, and so forth) so they'd likely embrace Crusader lore as well.

ddh3esd-a1a3bc36-b497-48f7-876d-ad71a65c3716.png

Some more of my concepts for Confederate Equipment.Union equipment descriptions will be in their requisite folder.

Keller and Premo were auto manufacturers whose Headquarters were in Birmingham, Alabama, and so i felt they would make good CSA vehicle companies, Keller being akin to Ford or Chrysler while Premo is equivalent to GMC or Studebaker.

Last edited:
dcmalv2-ec2bddb6-2d65-41cb-a11a-a0581e60f34f.png

"What they had here was a company of Confederate barrels: big, snorting machines painted in butternut with swirls and splotches of dark green and dark brown..."

"Instead of going straight up and down, most of their armor was cleverly sloped to help deflect shells. And their turret guns were bigger and longer than those of the earlier models."

" 'That's a two-and-a-half inch cannon you've got there?'... 'Three inches, sir.'... Seventeen-pound shell.' "

I would imagine the CSA would embrace English or French medieval lore and mythology, considering their allies and their heritage. lots of Tories in the southern Colonies during the Revolution, it was actually something of a struggle for the Continental Congress to get them on side.

So perhaps they'd embrace Arthurian legend and lore, Templar knights and so forth. The Ottomans were among their erstwhile enemies (Ally of my Enemy is my Enemy, and so forth) so they'd likely embrace Crusader lore as well.

I have actually been mulling over this recently. One of the main issues I find with the Freedom Party from a literary standpoint is that they aren't nearly as compelling villains as the Nazis. Their Southern Fried Fascism is more boring by comparison, mainly because Jake the Snake is sort of like a record player with a fixed record. He has a few tunes he plays, and thats it. The CSA has cool weapons, and some cool outfits (adding a bit of cowboy and Waffen-SS to the WWII American look). But they signally lack the deeper Romantic Nationalist ideology that makes Nazi iconography and ideology so interesting as antagonists. The Nazis had an institutional attachment to Germanic pagan symbology, but the Freedom Party is far more pragmatic. Like Communists without the communism.

I have actually been mulling over this recently. One of the main issues I find with the Freedom Party from a literary standpoint is that they aren't nearly as compelling villains as the Nazis. Their Southern Fried Fascism is more boring by comparison, mainly because Jake the Snake is sort of like a record player with a fixed record. He has a few tunes he plays, and thats it. The CSA has cool weapons, and some cool outfits (adding a bit of cowboy and Waffen-SS to the WWII American look). But they signally lack the deeper Romantic Nationalist ideology that makes Nazi iconography and ideology so interesting as antagonists. The Nazis had an institutional attachment to Germanic pagan symbology, but the Freedom Party is far more pragmatic. Like Communists without the communism.

Perhaps this is what makes them "stand out", when comparing it to real-life Nazi mythology. There could be some regional flavor to their symbolism and "lore", depending on the state. The impression I got from the Confederacy's connection to British and French culture is that it is more superficial than a deep dive into it.

Less is more, in this case.

It may be boring, as you say, but the alternative could be too much to suspend your disbelief. At least to me, it would.

Last edited:
ddh3esd-a1a3bc36-b497-48f7-876d-ad71a65c3716.png

Some more of my concepts for Confederate Equipment.Union equipment descriptions will be in their requisite folder.

Keller and Premo were auto manufacturers whose Headquarters were in Birmingham, Alabama, and so i felt they would make good CSA vehicle companies, Keller being akin to Ford or Chrysler while Premo is equivalent to GMC or Studebaker.

My goodness, it looks great!

I was kind of hoping the barrels would look more unique and less like their OTL German, American, and Russian counterparts.

The Confederate Flag should have more stars, but I still like it.

Soundwave3591, I was able to "create" a Confederate Houndog attack on another thread over here:
https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...federacy-tl-191.185493/page-194#post-19577406

Do you guys think that the Texas Rangers highway patrol uniforms would be a good source for the Freedom Party and Redemption League? (Replace the blue with gray)
12636661-696x464.jpg

Do you guys think that the Texas Rangers highway patrol uniforms would be a good source for the Freedom Party and Redemption League? (Replace the blue with gray)
12636661-696x464.jpg

For State Police and such. But not for the League (which is never mentioned as having a uniform), and especially not for the Freedom Party, which is repeatedly pointed out as having a uniform of "butternut" (khaki) trousers and white shirts. So, essentially looking similar to any 1960s American Nazi Party rally. :p

Pangur

Donor
Passing through on this thread. I would dearly love to know what Turtledove would make of these ideas expressed here

12636661-696x464.jpg
I could see them as the uniforms of the camp guards or did they wear regular army uniforms?

That would work initially. The camp guards started out as police. But they ended up in Party Guard units.
Yeah then it could work, not being front-line soldiers they wouldn't need helmets and IIRC the camps were in the desert so wide brimmed hats would make sense.